Felixstowe - Options being looked at because of the few who are taking liberties (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Difficult!

The vast majority of us drive vehicles which are taxed, insured and where necessary have an MOT. We should therefore have as much right to park as a car.
When I park my MH I like to have at least as much space either end as I do with my car: I can't see how "they park too close together" is a valid complaint.

The road has a very steep camber along much of its length, especially away from the beach huts. Parking a car there is a problem when you get in or out; parking a MH there is a problem if you wish to sit in and admire the view, operate your fridge, even just place a cup of tea on the table. The solution is to park with your wheels on the pavement ro set up outside. I know plenty of car drivers who carry a table and chair in their boot and do exactly that.

There are very very few Felixstowe residents who can complain that their view is spoiled by large vehicles parking there, as anyone who knows the area will agree. There aren't even many businesses who can complain that self-contained motorhomes are depriving them of their income. So presumably the complaints arise from people who want to drive a short distance to be beside the sea and who believe that they have a right to find a convenient parking place.

As I said, it is difficult to solve these sorts of problems and it looks like this is one which regularly gets blown up. I can't think of anywhere in Felixstowe which would satisfy our desire to be beside the sea with easy access for my wife. Usually we pay to park on the large grassy area at Cliff Road (but that has steps to the beach which she can't do) or we sit at Landguard Parking area but the spaces are small and there isn't really a beach. Late afternoon/ early evening we go to Undercliff road West, by the Spa Pavilion where parking is free from 6pm.

Gordon

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
There aren't even many businesses who can complain that self-contained motorhomes are depriving them of their income.
I agree except the Fludyers Hotel right on the road.

I also wonder how many complaints come from the expensive flats on the site of the former Bartlett convelecent home?

To be honest, can't remember the last time I took the van to Felixstowe as we know it's hard work. We are only just over half an hour away by car. Spent lots of money at the Spa theatre and restaurant this year. Does that help redress the balance?

Unfortunately, east Suffolk Council which covers the whole on the Suffolk coastline from the Orwell to the Waveney seem set against allowing any motorhome parking within sight of the sea.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I think if I was a local out for a nice walk (or even a visitor) I'd be annoyed with the view in the picture too. Effectively they are camping. Chairs and all sorts of gubbins out there.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Walked passed last week and some look as if they are there for days, doesn't give the area a good look. Wide prom so I can't see pedestrians having a problem, toilets down the road so I presume they can empty in there.
We go up to Clifftop carpark on the green, that would make an excellent aire but its overlooked by some very expensive houses so a non-starter.
Rapido925M you can park at Garrison lane in the coach park and Manor Terrace which is next to the beach and fairly flat.

Larger vehicles and campervans​

Campervans and motorhomes (also referred to as motor caravans) that exceed 5.5m in length are permitted in only twelve East Suffolk managed car parks. However, these vehicles must not exceed 8m in length.

These car parks are:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also live fairly local but rarely visit Felixtowe as there is seldom anywhere to park with a campervan near the beach.
The car park at Landguard Fort is ok but generally rammed, it also has introduced Parking Charges,

In my view, motorhomes have every right to park on the prom, the issue is staying all day and night, in effect using it as a camp site.. This is unfair on day visitors who cannot get parked, and with camping paraphernalia on the prom , makes it look like a traveler's camp..

Solution, we don't want more car parking charges, so a time limit could to be introduced, but that has to be policed and enforced.

Same problems with car parking at Bawdsey Quay. We live local and we can never ever get parked..
The council recently upgraded the car park area and put parking lines on the quay. Bollards and "no parking at any time" signs installed along Ferry road in front of the houses, and introduced a 4 hr max stay, between the hours of 8am and 6pm, but this has made no difference to the number of camper vans who use it as a campsite and stay for days or even weeks on end, there is a handy toilet block with fresh water and dumping nearby.. which is never locked.. so, the council had good intentions but without enforcing the rules they may well not have bothered.. the same would no doubt happen in Felixtowe.. oh yes, and someone has decided they dont like these rules and removed the Parking Limit sign on the campsite , sorry , I mean lay-bys

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes Jim, Last time we went to Bawdsey (without motorhome) I think it was the same people parked there as months before. It's the same at Felixstowe. Same old vans, day after day, week after week. I did speak to one owner earlier in the year and he said they had been there over a month as it was a lot cheaper than hiring a beach hut! I carefully mentioned (he was a big bloke!) that other motorhome users might want to park occasionally, to which I was bluntly told first come, first served. I guess that's where French aires score in that there is usually a 48 or 72 hour max stay.

I think they will simply ban overnight rather than adopting the 24/48/72 hours maximum stay. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just ban motorhomes full stop!

It irritates us and we are 20+ miles away so I understand where the real locals are coming from.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Walked passed last week and some look as if they are there for days, doesn't give the area a good look. Wide prom so I can't see pedestrians having a problem, toilets down the road so I presume they can empty in there.
We go up to Clifftop carpark on the green, that would make an excellent aire but its overlooked by some very expensive houses so a non-starter.
Rapido925M you can park at Garrison lane in the coach park and Manor Terrace which is next to the beach and fairly flat.

Larger vehicles and campervans​

Campervans and motorhomes (also referred to as motor caravans) that exceed 5.5m in length are permitted in only twelve East Suffolk managed car parks. However, these vehicles must not exceed 8m in length.

These car parks are:

Restricted to 8m, so with our 8.5m van the only option we have is on the sea front?

We are local to Felixstowe, and often walk past the vans, normally it is the same vans every week, often parked up on the path with chairs and even awnings out, I can see why some locals get annoyed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think they will simply ban overnight rather than adopting the 24/48/72 hours maximum stay. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just ban motorhomes full stop!
wouldn't be surprised either..

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes, that seems to be the default position for most local councils…….. :(

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So are we living in Kesgrave, we don't generally bother with any of the other carparks but the clifftop green, and have stayed there till 8 or 9 this year without any problems. Garrison is a coach park with bays to suit, so I wonder if you would have a problem especially being only half a metre over, does the parking guy carry a tape measure?
I expect undercliff road will go the same as Frinton with a complete ban on motorhomes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/23753618.three-options-deal-felixstowe-seafront-camper-vans/

I agree its an issue. We often park try to there in the car for an hour or so, but some of these motorhome owners really do push it. As a result, again we will all suffer unless they do provide a proper place for motorhomes.
Presumably "they" refers to the local councils.
It could also refer to local entrepreneurs who could buy some land and apply for a caravan site licence & planning consent to open an "aire". Presumably they don't do so because, as found in Redcar for example, rather than pay the people causing the problem simply move somewhere else that they can camp for free.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree GJH. Always amazed me in France the people that failed to pay a few Euro per night on the Aires. How many times have you read arrive after 6pm and leave before they come round for money at 8am or whatever. I remember being told by another Funster about the old Calais Aire that a late arrival and early departure meant not paying, and it was cheap anyway. Then it got closed!

Always happy to get a free night when offered, but will always pay even if it's an honesty box. I don't know when I will need it again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
he old Calais Aire that a late arrival and early departure meant not paying, and it was cheap anyway. Then it got closed!
yes, now closed, but not for that reason..
the area has been redeveloped as part of the promenade .. and a big new aire opened just along the road, about 1/2 mile away .. if you haven't used it is a lot bigger and better than the old aire..

many aires, especially the popular ones are now pay to use with barriers.. no more late arrival - early morning escape..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Presumably "they" refers to the local councils.
It could also refer to local entrepreneurs who could buy some land and apply for a caravan site licence & planning consent to open an "aire". Presumably they don't do so because, as found in Redcar for example, rather than pay the people causing the problem simply move somewhere else that they can camp for free.
People would want an aire close to the beach as theirs no other reason to go there.
I can't think of any land that would fit that.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
It angers me to see people camped up along promenades putting chairs, tables out, have seen BBQ's also.
As for people like Robin meanders experienced that have well overstayed their welcome by staying weeks on end, and making statements like 1st come 1st served etc, they are the ones that I would like to see heavily fined, with van towed away & confiscated, as they just don't have any moral compass. They need to be policed rather than rely on playing it fair with consideration to others, including locals.

We will indeed continue to lose any parking arrangements that are already few & far between, even honesty boxes are being taken advantage of.
There was an old boy who parked in a disabled spot along Ayr Beach, Ayrshire well known to Robert ambulancekidd with his disabled scooter, chairs and tables out for the entire summer every year, using the local leisure centre to dump his cassette waste. I just checked Google Earth and although photographed in July 2023, he doesn't appear to be on his usual spot, I just hope he has been warned off for good, especially since the MH aire has opened up the road.

Another wind up is seeing people towing cars on trailers on aires, they pull up, unhitch the trailer, remove car from trailer and park it also, taking up sometimes 3 MH spaces and they think that is OK.
They should be made to pay the overnight rate for each space they take up as they are stopping others without toads getting a place.:mad:
LES

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We often go to Felixstowe ( where is it ? on the end of Felixfoot) 🤥
We park near the golf club or Landguard point and pay the measly charges. Hardly much for the day but some people are so mean they begrudge even the £4 for a day.
A great day out for pence.
Phil

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Similar problem in Cleethorpes in the Buck Beck car park. There was supposed to be a barrier going up and parking them at one end of the large car park close by but not happened yet. Meanwhile, it is crowded with people who are there long term, leaving much reduced space for dog walkers etc

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Being less than an hours drive away we often nip off the Felixstowe for a day out. After an altercation with a parking warden a couple of years ago when we parked at Landguard Fort to watch the ships arriving, we no longer park anywhere else other than the large grass area at Clifflands. admittedly there are a few steps down to the beach but at £4 for the day what's not to like.

With regards to the MH's parked at Undercliff Road I have every sympathy for the locals. We drove along there about 3 weeks ago, what a disgrace, shanty town is exactly what it reminds you of, no resect for the locals of general public. Those that will shout the loudest when MH's are banned along this road will be those that have caused the issue.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
TinaLes noticed yesterday that there is now a motorhome restriction on the disabled bays at Ayr beach.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back