Felixstowe - Options being looked at because of the few who are taking liberties (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
People would want an aire close to the beach as theirs no other reason to go there.
I can't think of any land that would fit that.
There was a saying when I was a kid "I want never gets".
Obviously, the fact that there is nowhere else they want to camp does not give people the right to cause the problems reported.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Imagine using a seafront like a free campsite .
Look at the state of this .
IMG_7508.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
TinaLes noticed yesterday that there is now a motorhome restriction on the disabled bays at Ayr beach.
There are two dedicated motorhome parking / overnight areas at Ayr seafront - one area at each end

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We have a similar problem in Morecambe but the complaints are understandable unfortunately along the northern end of the Promenade. Sometimes it's wall to wall campers. The people who live opposite can't see the sea or the magnificent views across the bay. Lot's stay overnight too. I've not checked to see if there are any signs saying they can't.
Work is starting soon on the Northern Eden Project and I haven't seen anything in the plans for campervan parking so it will get worse until something is done I suppose.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Felixstowe resident here.
I fully support MH parking along the sea front, but not overnight or for longer periods.
Those that are treating it as a money saver (are some full timers?) are ruining it for those who act thoughtfully.
I think a "No Overnight Parking" restriction could solve a lot of that.

Couple of points:
  1. Those setting out chairs and tables aren't blocking the Prom because it is very wide at that point and they aren't generally more scruffy than those who set out their stalls in front of the beach huts further along. Some complainers are really scratching around for reasons.
  2. Felixstowe is a retirement town. As the saying goes "Harwich for the Continent, Felixstowe for the incontinent.". This means that there are a good number of locals who have limited mobility such that they can't walk down to the Prom to enjoy the sea air and then walk along the Prom. A common sight is people getting their walk in after hip or knee replacement. They can be prevented from accessing these local facilities by inconsiderate long term parking.
As you can see from the list further up thread, there are a lot of places in Felixstowe for MH to park - much more than most towns (IIRC Woodbridge is very restrictive).
However there is only one piece of road that gives easy access to the sea without having to cross seaside gardens and sea defences and that is this stretch down by the Fludyers.
So making an Aire with access to the sea front is an issue, with any "spare" land having competing demands from commercial organisations.

This whole thing hasn't been a big issue until recently.
An effect of Covid, plus Felixstowe being rediscovered as a seaside town?
It has now reached the stage where something must be done, mainly to a few taking advantage of the lack of restriction.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Work is starting soon on the Northern Eden Project and I haven't seen anything in the plans for campervan parking so it will get worse until something is done I suppose.
If it is anything like the original Eden Project there will be plenty of daytime parking for all types of vehicle.
I should have thought it unlikely there will be any camping provision as, like the original, the owners are not in that business.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Love a free park up and overnighter but think it’s taking the pee to park up on a road and get chairs tables etc out onto the footpath as in the picture, regardless of how wide it is. Was in Silloth, Cumbria at the weekend. Motorhome there in a free gravel car park, owners sat out with tables and chairs taking up 3 spaces. Is it any wonder locals think we are free loaders and regard motorhomes with such negativity.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Difficult!

The vast majority of us drive vehicles which are taxed, insured and where necessary have an MOT. We should therefore have as much right to park as a car.
When I park my MH I like to have at least as much space either end as I do with my car: I can't see how "they park too close together" is a valid complaint.

The road has a very steep camber along much of its length, especially away from the beach huts. Parking a car there is a problem when you get in or out; parking a MH there is a problem if you wish to sit in and admire the view, operate your fridge, even just place a cup of tea on the table. The solution is to park with your wheels on the pavement ro set up outside. I know plenty of car drivers who carry a table and chair in their boot and do exactly that.

There are very very few Felixstowe residents who can complain that their view is spoiled by large vehicles parking there, as anyone who knows the area will agree. There aren't even many businesses who can complain that self-contained motorhomes are depriving them of their income. So presumably the complaints arise from people who want to drive a short distance to be beside the sea and who believe that they have a right to find a convenient parking place.

As I said, it is difficult to solve these sorts of problems and it looks like this is one which regularly gets blown up. I can't think of anywhere in Felixstowe which would satisfy our desire to be beside the sea with easy access for my wife. Usually we pay to park on the large grassy area at Cliff Road (but that has steps to the beach which she can't do) or we sit at Landguard Parking area but the spaces are small and there isn't really a beach. Late afternoon/ early evening we go to Undercliff road West, by the Spa Pavilion where parking is free from 6pm.

Gordon
When you have paid £1000 or so for the priveledge to have a Beach hut, and then find freeloaders, tipping their shite down public loos, draining their grey water that goes straight in the sea, parking with wheels on prom. That I pay rates to maintain, can you wonder you're not wanted , I will tackle council to find a parking place acceptable, but don't hold your breath, it's also not just parking for a day as you well know there is free water available on the prom.and you can freeload for days ,and don't give me that what we spend here , you are a mile from shops , also we suffer from didycoys , so unfortunately you are not welcome, but, I blame the East Suffolk Council who are blindfolded.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When you have paid £1000 or so for the priveledge to have a Beach hut, and then find freeloaders, tipping their shite down public loos, draining their grey water that goes straight in the sea, parking with wheels on prom. That I pay rates to maintain, can you wonder you're not wanted , I will tackle council to find a parking place acceptable, but don't hold your breath, it's also not just parking for a day as you well know there is free water available on the prom.and you can freeload for days ,and don't give me that what we spend here , you are a mile from shops , also we suffer from didycoys , so unfortunately you are not welcome, but, I blame the East Suffolk Council who are blindfolded.

Don’t get me wrong I’m with you on the long stayers, but do the beach huts have toilets…😎

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
£1,000? More like £50,000 see this 2022 article.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
This is my second contribution to this thread, see # 29.

I can understand the issues for people parking at our favorite site in Felixstowe (Clifflands) with restricted (Steps) access down to the beach. I also under the reason for banning large MH from area at Landguard Fort dedicated for cars and small commercial vans, but a few years ago the council put in extra parking and bus stops on the approach road to Landguard, surely its not beyond the wit of the council to create a proper Aire in this area, it has direct access to the beach. they could charge the same as Clifflands £4 all day.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
This is my second contribution to this thread, see # 29.

I can understand the issues for people parking at our favorite site in Felixstowe (Clifflands) with restricted (Steps) access down to the beach. I also under the reason for banning large MH from area at Landguard Fort dedicated for cars and small commercial vans, but a few years ago the council put in extra parking and bus stops on the approach road to Landguard, surely its not beyond the wit of the council to create a proper Aire in this area, it has direct access to the beach. they could charge the same as Clifflands £4 all day.
I don't think they want to, but I'll ask

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I was a lad living in a Durham mining village I thought that living at the seaside would be wonderful. As a young adult I realised that the seasonal variation in employment opportunities and the influx of tourists during the summer were things that I wouldn't appreciate.
I lived for a month in a front-line beach apartment in Fuengirola and hated the late-night drunks carousing at the local bar. Driving across the pavement to access the underground carpark was sometimes a struggle. I was pleased to move to a golf course apartment where we didn't have these problems.
For the last 35y I have lived in a rural Norfolk village which hosts a major museum with the attendant number of tourist visitors: I don't complain!
We all make choices and we all need to accept compromises. I have a little sympathy for the residents of Felixstowe but they can always "get on their bikes" and move elsewhere if they are not happy.

Having said all of that, unlimited parking is creating trouble and I would support a restriction of a max of 48h BUT it would need to be enforced. As many will be aware, every time there is a break in parking areas, they are treated as separate restrictions: I think that length of road may be one area but if it isn't then people could play leap-frog in order to stay for a long period without breaking the rules.
Similarly placing furniture on the prom could be prohibited for all folk, including the beach-hutters.
Pavement parking rules have been considered by the government in 2020 but the general conclusion seems to be that it's OK where the road is narrow. In this area of Felixstowe both the road and the pavement are wide so I see no real problem in it being allowed, perhaps by painting an area on the pavement marked "Parking allowed". There could be possible damage to kerbstones BUT they seem to be in good condition despite years of people doing it.

I shall be quite sad if a blanket ban is introduced so if you are able to affect the decision I'll happily buy you a drink (y)
Gordon

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
That's the problems with many councils. Any sort of issue and it's either a height barrier or complete ban rather than addressing the issues directly with a proper solution implemented.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Free Permits for locals in that postcode and free parking up to 2 hours for all. £5 up to 10 hours and £10 overnight/ 24 hours with no camping behaviour and 24 hour max stay for others would be reasonable. Use some of the funds raised to upgrade toilet facilities to include black/ grey waste disposal and a water point. Modern ticket machines can easily cope with that. Designated bays could also restrict the number of overnight stays.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Free Permits for locals in that postcode and free parking up to 2 hours for all. £5 up to 10 hours and £10 overnight/ 24 hours with no camping behaviour and 24 hour max stay for others would be reasonable. Use some of the funds raised to upgrade toilet facilities to include black/ grey waste disposal and a water point. Modern ticket machines can easily cope with that. Designated bays could also restrict the number of overnight stays.
There are already several taps servicing the beach huts. 😄 Toilets are also perfectly acceptable as separate cubicles directly from the outside. Some users leave them in a state though. Some smoke in them. It's the users that are the problem, and motorhomes make up a tiny proportion of those. Wash your hands as you come out then don't touch the door without some form of hand protection.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's the problems with many councils. Any sort of issue and it's either a height barrier or complete ban rather than addressing the issues directly with a proper solution implemented.
Of course a height barrier or complete ban could be the proper solution when taking into account the requirements of everyone involved rather than just those who want free camping :)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
What bit about most local authorities cutting statutory services in order to balance their rapidly depleting books don't funsters understand? Local authorities across the country entered this financial year with a shortfall of over £3 billion with everything from children's centres to services for the disabled being cut. Not sure of the situation with Suffolk county council but at least 20 councils are predicting that they will not be able to balance their budgets next year. In this context, why would they be prioritising free loading motorhomers? It's lucky the toilets are still there.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
All good suggestions but enforcement requires a paid person which costs money and fines may not cover employment costs. Local authorities simply cannot afford a deficit on a new service.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think sending the existing enforcement teams to another location once a day to see if people have over stayed and stick tickets on is going to substantially change their workload. They already monitor all the suggested places including the current location. They do ticket folks who park across the dropped kerbs for example.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Of course a height barrier or complete ban could be the proper solution when taking into account the requirements of everyone involved rather than just those who want free camping :)
Who said anything about free. I'm a great believer in 'the labourer is worthy of his hire'. An overnight charge at a sensible level also adds an income stream. It's far more usually about location than price.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
If you know anything about this place then you will appreciate that a height barrier is out of the question. It’s a long section of road with people parking parallel to the kerb.

Gordon

Reactions: GJH
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
All good suggestions but enforcement requires a paid person which costs money and fines may not cover employment costs. Local authorities simply cannot afford a deficit on a new service.
You are right and maybe the parking costs alone would cover a wage to enforce. Additional funds would be by way of fines. Alternatively ANPR and technology may be a better enforcement option. Many car parks operate this nowadays where upon payment you enter a reg number.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Who said anything about free. I'm a great believer in 'the labourer is worthy of his hire'. An overnight charge at a sensible level also adds an income stream. It's far more usually about location than price.
But who decides on a "sensible level"? Just look back at the threads dealing with facilities that have been provided at a price and there is a constant whinge about the level.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
You are right and maybe the parking costs alone would cover a wage to enforce. Additional funds would be by way of fines. Alternatively ANPR and technology may be a better enforcement option. Many car parks operate this nowadays where upon payment you enter a reg number.
APNR on Felixstowe promanade will not work, it's a suburban road with residential on the land side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back