Exhaust pipe position

Discussion in 'Renault' started by Traveller_HA5_3DOM, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

Our new Hobby, with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week and he said it was most unusual and was quite near to several drop vents, with the potential for pulling exhaust fumes into the vehicle under certain conditions.
    I cannot remember seeing this arrangement before and wondered if any members have seen similar or if it is a matter governed by any Construction regulations, bearing in mind that it is built in Germany.

2. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Mine comes out of the side, too. Not a Fiat, though. It is a 1978 Chevrolet P30 based Winnebago Itasca. I'm sure I've seen lots of vans do this, even European ones.

3. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

No problem with side exit but this is under the van right in the middle both ways.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Mine also comes out of the side just behind the gas locker -Fiat/Ford Iveco :BigGrin:
    terry

5. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

All exhausts should extend beyond the bodywork. Yours seems to contravene that.

Craig

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Our old van was a bit smelly from the exhaust that was cut a bit short under the side of the van, ok under normal driving, but nearly every time we pulled up at lights or something like that it was coming in through the vents, so I bolted on an extension bit I picked up from the scrapyard, much better now:thumb:

you are surly going to have the same problem if it ends underneath the van, that seems to be a bit daft on a brand new Van:Doh:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I thought with modern vehicles it was a legal requirement that the exhaust should be expelled on the opposite side to the pavement relative to the steering wheel position. It sounds rather like the tail piece of your vans exhaust has been missed off

• Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

Just had a look at my lads dethleffs and yeah it's almost dead centre underneath , took me a while to find it by looking from the sides, it is defected down though.:Eeek::Eeek:
    Deflected even

9. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Many vans will incorporate an exhaust extension, to take the standard exhaust beyond the width of the body. I lost my extension last year, and the fumes soon became noticeable when idling. Once I got a replacement (which curves downwards) it cleared. If in doubt, I'd be tempted to fit one.

http://www.exhaustuk.co.uk/products/tail-pipes/11.html

10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Deflected down is just not good enough. When stationary, the toxic fumes will rise under the van, and penetrate any vents. Carbon Monoxide is lethal!

Craig

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Iveco based N&B Flairs certainly our 2006 vintage all have the exhaust exiting bang in the middle of the chassis. I thought that this was giving us exhaust fumes inside so I extended the pipe out the side and then realised that the problem was actually a crack that I had not seen in the down pipe.

Now fitted new down pipe but left the side exit.

Martin

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Why has this only come to light now, johns van is 08 and the ops is nearly new so how many is there about, never heard about it before and this one is definitely original and nothing is missing it's got a proper bent down end.

13. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

"with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week"

Hi. Slightly off topic but we have a 2007 renault master base and we told by THE gas fitter there was not room for an underslung tank. Could I ask what size tank and who fit it please.
    Thanks
    Darren

14. aba

aba

mine is pointing down under the side of the van.
    never had any problems with fumes inside the van mind it is a double floor van.
    if you are concerned you could always fit some of the blown air style ducting on the exhaust and route it out of the back of the van.

15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have an exhaust that looks like a chrome drainpipe sticking out from under the van a couple of feet behind the drivers door.
    Mrs A's car ( a Kia Carens) has an exhaust that points down a few inches back from the end of the rear bumper, it certainly doesnt extend beyond the bodywork. Its 3 years old.
    Allan

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

then you lost the tailpipe somewhere...or the previous owner did..

the exhaust will always exit to one side or the rear.
    usually a side exit is to the off side so pedestrians dont suffer.

17. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Nice guy named Ian from motorhometech. He fitted the last van also a 2007 Renault Master with a 40 litre tank. He managed to get the same 40 litre between the chassis rails at the rear of our new Hobby, the 2014 latest Renault. He is mobile so comes to you. He works out of Nottingham.
    We found that size tank is plenty big enough.

18. chaser

chaser Funster

I think you are wrong , the exhaust on johns van is definitely original , you couldn't attach a side piece as it's sort of up in the floor space behind the steps and finished off with a downward piece. Must be the same as the ops.

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

The exhaust on a vauxhall vectra estate I had came no where near the rear of the car the pipe just pointed down behind the rear axle

20. meexi

meexi Read Only Funster

Exhaust pipe

If you are fitting the exhaust put it at the opposite side from the habitation door other wise you will fill an awning with smoke if fitted.