Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Our new Hobby, with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week and he said it was most unusual and was quite near to several drop vents, with the potential for pulling exhaust fumes into the vehicle under certain conditions.
I cannot remember seeing this arrangement before and wondered if any members have seen similar or if it is a matter governed by any Construction regulations, bearing in mind that it is built in Germany.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our new Hobby, with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week and he said it was most unusual and was quite near to several drop vents, with the potential for pulling exhaust fumes into the vehicle under certain conditions.
I cannot remember seeing this arrangement before and wondered if any members have seen similar or if it is a matter governed by any Construction regulations, bearing in mind that it is built in Germany.

Mine comes out of the side, too. Not a Fiat, though. It is a 1978 Chevrolet P30 based Winnebago Itasca. I'm sure I've seen lots of vans do this, even European ones.

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
No problem with side exit but this is under the van right in the middle both ways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mine also comes out of the side just behind the gas locker -Fiat/Ford Iveco ::bigsmile:
terry

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Our old van was a bit smelly from the exhaust that was cut a bit short under the side of the van, ok under normal driving, but nearly every time we pulled up at lights or something like that it was coming in through the vents, so I bolted on an extension bit I picked up from the scrapyard, much better now:thumb:

you are surly going to have the same problem if it ends underneath the van, that seems to be a bit daft on a brand new Van:Doh:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I thought with modern vehicles it was a legal requirement that the exhaust should be expelled on the opposite side to the pavement relative to the steering wheel position. It sounds rather like the tail piece of your vans exhaust has been missed off

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All exhausts should extend beyond the bodywork. Yours seems to contravene that.

Craig

Just had a look at my lads dethleffs and yeah it's almost dead centre underneath , took me a while to find it by looking from the sides, it is defected down though.:Eeek::Eeek:
Deflected even

Last edited:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Many vans will incorporate an exhaust extension, to take the standard exhaust beyond the width of the body. I lost my extension last year, and the fumes soon became noticeable when idling. Once I got a replacement (which curves downwards) it cleared. If in doubt, I'd be tempted to fit one.

http://www.exhaustuk.co.uk/products/tail-pipes/11.html

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Just had a look at my lads dethleffs and yeah it's almost dead centre underneath , took me a while to find it by looking from the sides, it is defected down though.:Eeek::Eeek:
Deflected even

Deflected down is just not good enough. When stationary, the toxic fumes will rise under the van, and penetrate any vents. Carbon Monoxide is lethal!

Craig

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Iveco based N&B Flairs certainly our 2006 vintage all have the exhaust exiting bang in the middle of the chassis. I thought that this was giving us exhaust fumes inside so I extended the pipe out the side and then realised that the problem was actually a crack that I had not seen in the down pipe.

Now fitted new down pipe but left the side exit.

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Deflected down is just not good enough. When stationary, the toxic fumes will rise under the van, and penetrate any vents. Carbon Monoxide is lethal!

Craig

Why has this only come to light now, johns van is 08 and the ops is nearly new so how many is there about, never heard about it before and this one is definitely original and nothing is missing it's got a proper bent down end.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
"with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week"

Hi. Slightly off topic but we have a 2007 renault master base and we told by THE gas fitter there was not room for an underslung tank. Could I ask what size tank and who fit it please.
Thanks
Darren

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
mine is pointing down under the side of the van.
never had any problems with fumes inside the van mind it is a double floor van.
if you are concerned you could always fit some of the blown air style ducting on the exhaust and route it out of the back of the van.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have an exhaust that looks like a chrome drainpipe sticking out from under the van a couple of feet behind the drivers door.
Mrs A's car ( a Kia Carens) has an exhaust that points down a few inches back from the end of the rear bumper, it certainly doesnt extend beyond the bodywork. Its 3 years old.
Allan

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
"with the Renault front end has an exhaust pipe that ends in the centre of the vehicle. We spotted it when the Gas fitter was fitting the LPG tank last week"

Hi. Slightly off topic but we have a 2007 renault master base and we told by THE gas fitter there was not room for an underslung tank. Could I ask what size tank and who fit it please.
Thanks
Darren

Nice guy named Ian from motorhometech. He fitted the last van also a 2007 Renault Master with a 40 litre tank. He managed to get the same 40 litre between the chassis rails at the rear of our new Hobby, the 2014 latest Renault. He is mobile so comes to you. He works out of Nottingham.
We found that size tank is plenty big enough.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
then you lost the tailpipe somewhere...or the previous owner did..

the exhaust will always exit to one side or the rear.
usually a side exit is to the off side so pedestrians dont suffer.

I think you are wrong , the exhaust on johns van is definitely original , you couldn't attach a side piece as it's sort of up in the floor space behind the steps and finished off with a downward piece. Must be the same as the ops.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The exhaust on a vauxhall vectra estate I had came no where near the rear of the car the pipe just pointed down behind the rear axle

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Exhaust pipe

If you are fitting the exhaust put it at the opposite side from the habitation door other wise you will fill an awning with smoke if fitted.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Photo of exhaust under dethleffs esprite, with Renault base
Sorry it's upside down but you get the idea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
We got our Carthago from new Aug 2008 ten days later we were at Warrington after arranging to have air suspension on the rear end. When asked to move the camper over the pit it would not budge, the handbrake was stuck on. Our journey from home had only taken 30 mins or so but in that time the plastic type casing that covered the handbrake cable had melted, and it was seized solid. On checking underneath it was found that the very short pipe which came out of the baffle box did not extend through the hole in the alko chassis, but was curved downwards and positioned inches above this cable sheath. Five hours and two RAC trucks later, we were following our Retirement Machine 60 miles or so to Oldham Motors to be repaired. It took 6 weeks before we could bring it home, most of that time was spent in a battle between Lowdhams the supplier, Carthago the converters and alko the chassis makers. Then would you believe the new cable was sourced from Hymer you couldn't make it up could you ? Welcome to motor homing folks !!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi K----,

Not a Renault, I know, but our LHD Hymer on a Ducato 230/Alko chassis, has the exhaust tail pipe close to the middle of the vehicle, but pointing to the left. A previous owner has extended the tail pipe using one of the stainless steel extensions seen in a link provided earlier in the thread. It comes out from the bodywork, right underneath the bulk LPG tank.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for. :thumb:

See you and P------ soon. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back