eurotunnel advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hayleylulu, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

lynns got her holidays for our france/spain trip booked at work. we going via tunnel- £152 inc £30 smackaroos for pooch. is it best booking now or leaving later. will the prices change much?.

2. lorger

lorger Funster

i dont think the prices change to much but if you have tesco clubcard tokens you can use them

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well, I've not used the tunnel yet Yosser, I hear that booking early is now the cheaper way of doing it.

My only real advice is drive onto the train, don't attempt the tunnel in the van because if all of a sudden you see the light at the end of the tunnel, its a Frog train loaded with Eastern European scallie-wags coming the other way.......be told.....xx Griff..'ello sailor.
    :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 4
  4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

book as early as you can Martin, prices can and do change and by quite an amount on occasions

• Like Like x 1
  5. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Best book now as prices do go up as you get nearer the departure time, and don't forget to use your tesco vouchers:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

You could half that price if you went Dover - Dunkirk with Dfds.
    and have a mini cruise for 2 hours.:BigGrin:

Regards
    steve

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

I always used the tunnel and never booked far in advance...

I would go onto the web page and check the prices around the day I wanted to go... the prices often varied a lot in a 24 hour period.

I would book the cheapest time and then turn up when I wanted to... more often than not they let me on an earlier train for no extra charge...

I never minded waiting anyway as there is a BurgerKing in the terminal!

EUROTUNNEL ROOLS

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  8. veevee

veevee Funster

So that's £122 for the van and yourselves? Think that's a good deal for a superior service and ease of travelling with a pet.

As many others have said, ease and speed are unmatched, as a first time experience it is interesting.

When you check in have the credit/debit card you booked with to hand, this saves you having to tap booking numbers in, it's just so slick.

When we travel with two in the van, the passenger books in as from the height of a van you have to lean down a little to access the booking screen, much easier for the passenger. To do this go to the booths for LHD vehicles.

Each of the train carriages have a set of folding doors at each end which close before the train moves off. When loading don't follow too closely to the vehicle in front, in particular if the carriage appears to be nearly full. It's not a lot of fun to reverse back into the previous carriage if your vehicle is too long for the available space in front of you.
    The staff on the train are usally very good at directing you to where they want you, and there's always enough time to load.

On exiting the train and ramps you will end up on a 3 lane road. If you are going south (Boulogne on the sign board) sit in the LH lane. If you are travelling north (Calais & Dunkerque) stay in the centre lane, the right hand lane is for Cite Europe.

If you use diesel it is always cheaper in France, there are good filling points within 30 km going north or south, but that's another story. The fuel on the tunnel exit is much dearer than away from the tunnel complex.

If you use the autoroutes in France use a credit/debit card. This can be either at a manned toll both or the automated ones. They don't need your PIN number and eases things with language and looking for the right money. Always wait for the receipt.

Enjoy yourself and be amazed at how fast it all happens and you are driving on the roads of France.

• Like Like x 7
  9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Just as JJ mentioned, play around with the times on the day/s you would like to travel Martin as today may be slightly more expensive or cheaper than tomorrow for the same time train xx

have a great time xx

• Like Like x 1
  10. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That's how I see it, the holiday starts with that relaxation on the boat, but Yosser has a dog and that doesn't always work on boats....Griff:thumb:

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Just after you go through passport control they will pull you over and ask you to show them the gas is turned off. They also sometimes do something funny with a little brush that they rub over the steering wheel. I was told that this little brush detects whether you have handled drugs or gun powder recently.

Perhaps it would be an idea to get Lynne to drive:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Yosser, Poppeye's calling Lynn a Dog :Eeek:

You said youv'e got a pooch and Lynn, sort him out mate, don't let him get away with it, Sink his boat. :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Interesting strategy Haggers. Put an extra 'p' in popppppeye so you can take even more 'p' out.........

..........that's been locked away in the memory banks....keep looking over yer shoulder.......

........young whipper-snapper.........Griff:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We use the chunnel all the time now. Jan hates the ferry even in the summer and after the first time using the tunnel that was it, "no more ferries for me" says SWMBO:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Not so unfortunately.

I'm just back from a couple of days in Belgium, travelling Dover-Dunkirk.

Diesel is averaging around €1.46, rising to as much as €1.52 in Ostend, and €1.40 at Carrefour at Bray Dunes in France.

16. lib

lib Read Only Funster

Hi We always travel through the tunnel with the dogs its so easy. We book our tunnel crossing, just for the van and then add the dogs at the last minute - a bit on the black side I suppose but you never know what can happen to the dogs between now and the travelling date if its a long time in advance. There is no extra charge on top of the £30 each even if you add them the day before travel.

It is also possible to change the dates of your crossing if you have to without charge if you can find one at the same price on the date you want. There is no alteration charge is what I am trying to say.

As others have said - choose the cheapest time and turn up early and they usually let you on ok.

The actual entry to the tunnel is so easy - it even recognises your number plate and welcomes you by name on the screen at the check in

Have fun.

17. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

The only down side with the tunnel (apart from cost) is that we turned up at 2.30am in the morning having driven down from South Yorkshire, hoping to have a couple of hours rest before our 6.00am train. We were told to either take the next train or leave the site as no extended parking was permitted. We would have preferred to stay where we were rather than crossing and then having to start looking for somewhere to park up, which is what we ended up doing.

18. lib

lib Read Only Funster

Yes - that is something to be aware of. It happened to us the first time we used the tunnel. We just drove up to the turnstile to ask a question and ended up going on the next train. It didnt bother us but it could be a problem if you are not expecting it.

19. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Just remember on your return trip you have to take your dog into the office on the right hand side just before ticket booths to have it checked for micro chip and that the frontline treatment has been given :Cool:

20. Jill

Jill Funster

We always try to get a late crossing then park up overnight in Cite Europe, ready for an early start. Backfired on us last year as we had delays at Folkestone so instead of catching a 12ish train (we were booked onto a 2am crossing but always aim to arrive early) we didn't cross until 5.30am. OH just went to bed but I couldn't sleep.