Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
lynns got her holidays for our france/spain trip booked at work. we going via tunnel- £152 inc £30 smackaroos for pooch. is it best booking now or leaving later. will the prices change much?.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
i dont think the prices change to much but if you have tesco clubcard tokens you can use them

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
lynns got her holidays for our france/spain trip booked at work. we going via tunnel- £152 inc £30 smackaroos for pooch. is it best booking now or leaving later. will the prices change much?.

Well, I've not used the tunnel yet Yosser, I hear that booking early is now the cheaper way of doing it.

My only real advice is drive onto the train, don't attempt the tunnel in the van because if all of a sudden you see the light at the end of the tunnel, its a Frog train loaded with Eastern European scallie-wags coming the other way.......be told.....xx Griff..'ello sailor.
:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
book as early as you can Martin, prices can and do change and by quite an amount on occasions

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Best book now as prices do go up as you get nearer the departure time, and don't forget to use your tesco vouchers:thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
You could half that price if you went Dover - Dunkirk with Dfds.
and have a mini cruise for 2 hours.::bigsmile:

Regards
steve

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always used the tunnel and never booked far in advance...

I would go onto the web page and check the prices around the day I wanted to go... the prices often varied a lot in a 24 hour period.

I would book the cheapest time and then turn up when I wanted to... more often than not they let me on an earlier train for no extra charge...

I never minded waiting anyway as there is a BurgerKing in the terminal!

EUROTUNNEL ROOLS

JJ :Cool:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

So that's £122 for the van and yourselves? Think that's a good deal for a superior service and ease of travelling with a pet.

As many others have said, ease and speed are unmatched, as a first time experience it is interesting.

When you check in have the credit/debit card you booked with to hand, this saves you having to tap booking numbers in, it's just so slick.

When we travel with two in the van, the passenger books in as from the height of a van you have to lean down a little to access the booking screen, much easier for the passenger. To do this go to the booths for LHD vehicles.

Each of the train carriages have a set of folding doors at each end which close before the train moves off. When loading don't follow too closely to the vehicle in front, in particular if the carriage appears to be nearly full. It's not a lot of fun to reverse back into the previous carriage if your vehicle is too long for the available space in front of you.
The staff on the train are usally very good at directing you to where they want you, and there's always enough time to load.

On exiting the train and ramps you will end up on a 3 lane road. If you are going south (Boulogne on the sign board) sit in the LH lane. If you are travelling north (Calais & Dunkerque) stay in the centre lane, the right hand lane is for Cite Europe.

If you use diesel it is always cheaper in France, there are good filling points within 30 km going north or south, but that's another story. The fuel on the tunnel exit is much dearer than away from the tunnel complex.

If you use the autoroutes in France use a credit/debit card. This can be either at a manned toll both or the automated ones. They don't need your PIN number and eases things with language and looking for the right money. Always wait for the receipt.

Enjoy yourself and be amazed at how fast it all happens and you are driving on the roads of France.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just as JJ mentioned, play around with the times on the day/s you would like to travel Martin as today may be slightly more expensive or cheaper than tomorrow for the same time train xx

have a great time xx

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]and have a mini cruise for 2 hours[/HI].::bigsmile:

Regards
steve

That's how I see it, the holiday starts with that relaxation on the boat, but Yosser has a dog and that doesn't always work on boats....Griff:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just after you go through passport control they will pull you over and ask you to show them the gas is turned off. They also sometimes do something funny with a little brush that they rub over the steering wheel. I was told that this little brush detects whether you have handled drugs or gun powder recently.

Perhaps it would be an idea to get Lynne to drive::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
That's how I see it, the holiday starts with that relaxation on the boat, but Yosser has a dog and that doesn't always work on boats....Griff:thumb:

Yosser, Poppeye's calling Lynn a Dog :Eeek:

You said youv'e got a pooch and Lynn, sort him out mate, don't let him get away with it, Sink his boat. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yosser, [HI]Poppeye's[/HI] calling Lynn a Dog :Eeek:

You said youv'e got a pooch and Lynn, sort him out mate, don't let him get away with it, Sink his boat. :thumb:

Interesting strategy Haggers. Put an extra 'p' in popppppeye so you can take even more 'p' out.........

..........that's been locked away in the memory banks....keep looking over yer shoulder.......

........young whipper-snapper.........Griff:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We use the chunnel all the time now. Jan hates the ferry even in the summer and after the first time using the tunnel that was it, "no more ferries for me" says SWMBO::bigsmile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If you use diesel it is always cheaper in France, there are good filling points within 30 km going north or south, but that's another story. The fuel on the tunnel exit is much dearer than away from the tunnel complex.

Not so unfortunately.

I'm just back from a couple of days in Belgium, travelling Dover-Dunkirk.

Diesel is averaging around €1.46, rising to as much as €1.52 in Ostend, and €1.40 at Carrefour at Bray Dunes in France.

lib

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Halifax
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi We always travel through the tunnel with the dogs its so easy. We book our tunnel crossing, just for the van and then add the dogs at the last minute - a bit on the black side I suppose but you never know what can happen to the dogs between now and the travelling date if its a long time in advance. There is no extra charge on top of the £30 each even if you add them the day before travel.

It is also possible to change the dates of your crossing if you have to without charge if you can find one at the same price on the date you want. There is no alteration charge is what I am trying to say.

As others have said - choose the cheapest time and turn up early and they usually let you on ok.

The actual entry to the tunnel is so easy - it even recognises your number plate and welcomes you by name on the screen at the check in

Have fun.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The only down side with the tunnel (apart from cost) is that we turned up at 2.30am in the morning having driven down from South Yorkshire, hoping to have a couple of hours rest before our 6.00am train. We were told to either take the next train or leave the site as no extended parking was permitted. We would have preferred to stay where we were rather than crossing and then having to start looking for somewhere to park up, which is what we ended up doing.

lib

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Halifax
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yes - that is something to be aware of. It happened to us the first time we used the tunnel. We just drove up to the turnstile to ask a question and ended up going on the next train. It didnt bother us but it could be a problem if you are not expecting it.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Just remember on your return trip you have to take your dog into the office on the right hand side just before ticket booths to have it checked for micro chip and that the frontline treatment has been given :Cool:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We always try to get a late crossing then park up overnight in Cite Europe, ready for an early start. Backfired on us last year as we had delays at Folkestone so instead of catching a 12ish train (we were booked onto a 2am crossing but always aim to arrive early) we didn't cross until 5.30am. OH just went to bed but I couldn't sleep.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just remember on your return trip you have to [HI]take your dog into the office on the right hand side just before ticket booths to have it checked for micro chip and that the frontline treatment has been [/HI]given :Cool:

when you enter the port you will see a LARGE yellow sign with a black PAW on it you must follow that and get the dog sorted before entering the turnstiles.:thumb:

mikethebikex

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
BRISTOL
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
SINCE 2002
Hi Yosser
I would book sooner rather than later. The early morning (up until 08.00) departures from Folkstone have recently gone up by £8.

mike. b drifting along

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yosser my old mate book early......prices do go up nearer your travel date, and also trains get booked up.....:Doh:
We use the tunnel all the time:thumb:
Mel

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
We used the tunnel for the first time recently and was amazed at how automated it was. I drove up to the first office expecting to find an individual but couldn't see anybody and couldn't go on as the barrier was down. I then heard this voice welcoming us and having reversed a bit I saw a screen with our details - name, vehicle number etc - and offering a choice of trains. I opted for the earliest and took the proffered docs. The next surprise was getting to the waiting area for the train as I had no idea, in the dark and rain, which route to follow. I actually followed the signs for motorhome parking and went round it before seeing the signs for FRANCE. The signs were too large to miss and I imagine it is extremely easy when you can see where you are going.
Anyway we thought it brilliant and the train barely seems to move before arriving the other side. Scrapjack:Smile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Not so unfortunately.

I'm just back from a couple of days in Belgium, travelling Dover-Dunkirk.

Diesel is averaging around €1.46, rising to as much as €1.52 in Ostend, and €1.40 at Carrefour at Bray Dunes in France.

Sorry wd, don't quite get your point?

Carrefour at €1.40 is cheaper than the UK isn't it?

Travelled to eastern France yesterday Wednesday 18th, passed a number of supermarkets in a 5 hour journey each way with prices between €1.39 and €1.41 so the Carrefour price is pretty representative it appears.

It's 3 weeks since I was in the UK, have prices dropped a lot in that time?

Puzzled

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Yosser my old mate book early......prices do go up nearer your travel date, and also trains get booked up.....:Doh:
We use the tunnel all the time:thumb:
Mel

Agree with this and maybe this year is the start of price rises? Eurotunnel have held their prices (we use frequent traveller tickets same price for last 3 years) for a long time now, it can't go on for ever.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
They tend to use the number plate recognition software at Eurotunnel (as they did at P & O recently) so that when you drive up to the turnstiles all your details are already on the screen.

Book now as prices do rise as the year goes on.

Martin and Lynn sit back and enjoy the ride on the train. We normally have a quick snack and we are at the otherside before we know it.

Sonja

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
and have a mini cruise for 2 hours.::bigsmile:

Regards
steve

Full English available on the ferry.

Yosser, Poppeye's calling Lynn a Dog :Eeek:

Nice bit of stirring!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ezzie has not worked it out yet

Ezzie always sits on the settee looking out the side window... when we are on the train she can feel movement, but all she see's is the side of the carriage ... it really confuses her.

Being an RV B class we are 9'11" on the mirrors.. bit tight.. so we have to pull them in.. you need to pay attention and concentrate as we have a fair overhang each side. If you leave them out it is close, but then you get all the coaches and the passenger that all of a sudden need a wee and march down each side of the motorhome to get to the end of the train to use the loo...why they did not go in the terminal I never know.. with the kids on coaches they are a pest, just charging up and down. If you are by a set of carriage doors (internal) it is interesting watching people trying to open them with reading the instructions.. time delay...

Used the tunnel for years.. the best way to go... no sea sick... good terminals each end, and much faster trip.

plus it is so easy with dogs... they get to stay with you.. that is important to me.

Bob

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My RV has an LPG conversion i hear i can not use the tunnel because of this!

Is there any way around this?
motorhomes have lpg bottles or tanks on then so is there a difference between lpg for cooking and for running the engine ?

i can run on petrol at a press of a button
do i need to tell them my rv is LPG & Petrol?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back