Ehu's

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Big Nick, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Is it weird to gear all your motorhoming around not having any hook up?

I really like the self sufficiency of managing your power and living without wires!

We stayed on a CL last weekend that had EHU's but we didn't use it (saving £3 a night in the process) and the owner looked at us in disbelief making me feel it was a strange thing to do!

We have 2 leisure batteries, a 120w solar panel, 2 refillable decent sized lpg bottles, a 12v tv and car chargers for our gadgets so I don't feel we really need to plug in

• Like Like x 7
  2. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Not at all. Opens up so many more options of places to go & ways to use the van.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes your weird. Why did you bother going on a site at all. ;):p

• Like Like x 6
  4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We try not to rely on hook up, however we like our little creature comforts too, so invested in two extra leisure batteries, a 2kw inverter and 2 x 100watt solar panels. Our van is already fitted with a battery to battery charger.
    We managed 'off grid' for three weeks in Italy - staying at the places we wanted to stay, rather than planning our stays around sites which had EHU

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We don't carry a hookup lead anymore.

It never got used and wasted space.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

We rarely use EHU unless its "bundled in" with the aire/site fee.

We have solar and are "out and about" most days and have never had low battery issues.

mind you I am pretty weird :confused:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We have two 80watt panels and two 85 ah batteries which are more than plenty for our simple needs.
    plus 2 x 11kg bottles of cheap LPG to cook, heat water and run fridge.. lasts for weeks.

don't have any 240v kitchen appliances.. they use up space and payload.. not even a mains kettle or fan heater.
    To grind coffee beans I have a manual grinder.. with a Moka express coffee pot ..

when looking for a CL, my preference is No EHU .. because it will a) be cheaper and b) less busy.. c) don't need it..
    modern caravans are packed with 240v kit.. even a 240v hot plate in the cooker.. so need an EHU to make full use of it..

The last CS we were on, EHU was optional.. saving £4 per night.. just the way we like it..

coming from a camping background.. a dry bed is a luxury :LOL:

horses for courses .. not weird..

• Like Like x 1
  8. golly

golly Funster

More and more sites have only one fee which includes EHU, no option not to have it which is a bit of a rip off particularly in the summer months

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

swings and roundabouts.. in winter many sites will lose money on the EHU.. it balances out..

potentially, on a 16A hook up, a van in winter using a 2kw space heater + plus kettle, battery charging, fridge, hot water etc could cost the site owner at 14 p per unit, over 18hrs = £7.60

exaggeration ? .. not at all.. many full timers will use this sort of leccy all winter ..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Not weird at all , the weird ones are the ones that can't live without a EHU. What is the point of having a motorhome that allows to have free and easy touring , but you can't stop anywhere without finding an EHU, pointless to me.

• Like Like x 5
  11. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Oh dear, I'm going to break the trend of this thread. We prefer to use an EHU where it's available - there said it! :whistle:

Yes, we can and do manage without it from time to time. But for us it's just plain easier and more comfortable to be set up with services just as we are at home.

Wild camping and staying on aires is fine when long distance travelling on the continent, but it's not the way we choose to spend our entire holidays.

Last year during one trip of 5 weeks touring southern Spain and Portugal, surprisingly, we managed to NOT turn the gas bottle on for the whole trip from home back to home.

Our gas locker only takes one cylinder and we didn't bother to go down the refillable route. We have a single standard leisure battery and no solar. Oh, and no inverter.

Don't think EHU cost us a significant amount considering we could space heat, cook and heat water electrically - not to mention charging all the gadgets. EHU just seems simple and straightforward. And staying mostly at ACSI sites the leccy is all inclusive.

However, new PVC ordered this week for delivery next spring, and considering going for refillable gas. And a second leisure battery has already been specified. We are downsizing, so got to cut some of the electric clobber out. But, will still be using EHUs for combi gas/electric heating and 230 volt underfloor heating. (y)

Mike

• Like Like x 5
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I prefer not to have ehu, but as mentioned above it is inclusive at ACSI sites, so if staying on them we have it. I would not pay to have it though.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not at all. The glorious FUN meets mostly do not have hook up.

We see messages "I can't come unless we have hook up or I use my generator".
    To which we reply "You need to read Darwin".

Many people see "motorhome" but in fact never actually see the "motor" part. They cannot come to terms with the very limited but totally adequate resources. "I've got to watch East Enders", "I've got to use my hair dryer", "I've got to have a shower morning and night". "I always microwave my baked beans".

I admit we have an Achilles Heel, electric bikes. If we flatten both batteries every day our solar is not quite up to that load.

Otherwise, 100W solar and 100Ah of battery copes during the summer.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Since fitting @Techno100 "mod" we have not been on "EHU" for months. When needed flick switch and every mains socket is live via inverter. Wife is so happy. We safe around 4 euro's a night, which is a big saving over a month away. Solar replaces what we use......... Sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  15. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We also only use EHU if it is included in the price and there is no lower price excluding EHU. If we have EHU we use the opportunity to use our Remoska as many mealtimes as possible, switch the Slde heating system to electric if it's cold and so on etc.
    We have multiple batteries and 400w of solar so never NEED to use EHU but will use it if it's effectively "free"

• Like Like x 4
  16. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

We rarely use hookups as we have little or no need for it. Last November we went away for a weekend to small site in Herefordshire where hookup was integral in the price of the pitch so we took a small fan heater expecting it to be cold but as it happens it was quite a mild weekend so I did feel a little miffed that all we took was a few dozen Watt Hours for the mains battery charger.

D.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

We only have one 230v only appliance... The microwave.
    Alde heating has a very small 12v water circulator motor..about the size of a large cotton bobbin.
    Boiler circuit board is negligible power.
    Fridge/freezer on gas....circuit board negligible.
    All lighting is LED.
    12v water pump.
    12v TV and radio.
    12v sat receiver.

A 170watt panel on the roof and one 110ah battery in the locker.

18. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Everybody has choice......

If you require/prefer an EHU - great, go for it.

If you avoid/do not want an EHU - great go for it.

Does it really matter one way or the other? Surely the fact that the common thread is motorhoming....

Each to their own.

• Like Like x 11
  19. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

What he said

20. sedge

sedge Funster

Exactly! Personally having spent many many years camping and caravanning sans electricity - an EHU is a luxury I can well do without! But - I do love having the luxury of a full-sized cooker in our Moho, having been used to using a small Flavel gas 2 burner/grill/oven in either the van(s) which were both rather elderly! - or a freestanding one when 'car' camping - but just one or two Coleman unleaded petrol rings when motorbike camping - for all those years! And of course - I also cook with gas at home - so I am always bepuzzled when folk say they've been away for months and never turned the gas on - even on EHU ! What the hell do they cook to eat without using the stove?

Yes - you can fill your lockers up with Cadacs and lord knows what, but you'd have to buy the stuff first which when you already have a proper stove the manufacturer has kindly included in the price of the van - why?

But - each to their own!

• Like Like x 2