Drive off with Grey Waste Drain Tap Open WHY? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Some have mentioned it but others just see 'grey' waste as soapy water, its all the other dregs that go down the plug hole that cause offence & danger to other road users especially the grease.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I don't use other people's water hoses for fresh water. For one thing, I don't know what other campers might have been using it for. For another, is it food grade? I also don't want a trigger style gun fitment as I'd have to stand holding it in place.

I don't block a road while filling up but, if I can park up by a service point so that the tap is on the right side and I only have to fish out my shortest length of hose I will do so. It takes me about the same time to fill my tank as it takes two caravanners to fill an aquaroll. I don't think that's unreasonable. :Smile:

I fish out my shortest length and in doesn't have a trigger style gun but i still have to hold it.:RollEyes:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
because most times i cba and its only grey water we see worst entering our home :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
by the way all those that condemn it have done it lets ALL be honest not start all that bulls**t about those who do we all do at some times :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I also don't want a trigger style gun fitment as I'd have to stand holding it in place.

Blimey Maz if you don't like trigger guns what do you do when its time to fill up with fuel?

With fuel it's not an option, with water it is! The end of my water hose goes straight into the tank and stays there. I know some people use a HeoSafe attachment to their water filler - they're not going to want a trigger gun either.

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I don't see a huge issue, it's a lot less nasty than the liquid that runs out the back of a cattle lorry.....

I've considered a remote actuator so I can open the drain valve when there's no one behind me!

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I don't see a huge issue, it's a lot less nasty than the liquid that runs out the back of a cattle lorry.....

I've considered a remote actuator so I can open the drain valve when there's no one behind me!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyway, on a dryer note ive stuck me funsters sticker in the windscreen today. YEEEHA:Doh:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

Some of the latest Hymer A Classes do actually have an electric grey waste valve! I wonder what use the Germans had in mind?::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Returning to the original post. Lets face it, the OP is questioning people who on leaving there pitch open the grey waste and then trail stagnant waste water all across a campsite, quite possibly across empty grass pitches that others then have to sit out in and allow there children to play in. Quite possibly a tent camper then has to pitch there tent on this stagnant water. This is NOT nice clean water with a few soap bubbles in it. It contains rotting food waste and all sorts of nasties. Please don't do it, use the waste water dump, if available. If on a meet were there is no waste dump, then put it in a bucket and dispose of it around perimeter hedges. It matters not how often you empty your waste water tank, it still harbours all sorts of nasty stuff that you would not want to digest or sit in. Well I certainly would not anyway. This does seem to be the norm on many wildings around Europe, and to the uninitiated for all they know it could be toilet water. Its silly things like this that get the motorhoming community a bad name, mostly from people that dont know anything about motorhomes, but they don't know the difference between black and grey water.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Returning to the original post. Lets face it, the OP is questioning people who on leaving there pitch open the grey waste and then trail stagnant waste water all across a campsite, quite possibly across empty grass pitches that others then have to sit out in and allow there children to play in. Quite possibly a tent camper then has to pitch there tent on this stagnant water. This is NOT nice clean water with a few soap bubbles in it. It contains rotting food waste and all sorts of nasties. Please don't do it, use the waste water dump, if available. If on a meet were there is no waste dump, then put it in a bucket and dispose of it around perimeter hedges. It matters not how often you empty your waste water tank, it still harbours all sorts of nasty stuff that you would not want to digest or sit in. Well I certainly would not anyway. This does seem to be the norm on many wildings around Europe, and to the uninitiated for all they know it could be toilet water. Its silly things like this that get the motorhoming community a bad name, mostly from people that dont know anything about motorhomes, but they don't know the difference between black and grey water.

Good summary.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Just been out to my van to check the waste valve, its still open, like it is always going to be.
Its such a massive hole that any water that goes down the plug is out instantly all in one place right under the middle of my van where no one can tell.
I dont leave trails of it all over, Its only soapy water and never sits in the tank long enough to get these tiny creatures you call "nasties" in.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just been out to my van to check the waste valve, its still open, like it is always going to be.
Its such a massive hole that any water that goes down the plug is out instantly all in one place right under the middle of my van where no one can tell.
I dont leave trails of it all over, Its only soapy water and never sits in the tank long enough to get these tiny creatures you call "nasties" in.

If its that clean why throw it away. Use it for brewing up :Doh:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There are some, me included, that will not even use the water out of the tap for brewing up.
That is nothing to do with the grey waste issue.

I still maintain that grey waste only starts to harbour "nasties" if you keep it in an almost airless tank, for days on end and especially in hot weather.

Pete:Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have been asked by site owners on CL/CS sometimes in the summer to empty grey water along a hedge etc. Most do not have an emptying point anyway. When my van is going back to store, I do leave the waste tap open, after emptying, so the last bits of water drain out and don't lurk in the tank for weeks.
I also usually travel with water on board, as I will be to go to Peterborough. Arriving at the same time as lots of others will guarantee problems with filling, either because of access or low water pressure..

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thanks to Snowbird for summing up & lets hope those that feel its harmless don't venture south to our site! its not just soapy water out your kitchen sink what about your shower waste or bathroom sink waste after you have washed & brushed your teeth!

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks to Snowbird for summing up & lets hope those that feel its harmless don't venture south to our site! its not just soapy water out your kitchen sink what about your shower waste or bathroom sink waste after you have washed & brushed your teeth!

All I can say is, that if that worries you so much, do not and I repeat do not, leave the South of England. Do not venture into France, Greece, Portugal or Spain, as you will be constantly immersing yourself in disinfectant.

How would you cope with soiled toilet tissue in a little basket next to the lavatory, on a hot summer day?

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time

Oh no, Not water with dregs of toothpaste in it, CALL THE WATER POLICE! :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Good grief....................................................................................................

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some may scoff but there are many more none motorhomers than motorhomers. Not one will understand the intricacies of black grey and clean water. If they see a motorhome travelling down the road discharging liquid from underneath they do not know for what it is other than diesel, grey water or sh*t. Regarding travelling in Europe, over the last few years of engaging in this pastime :winky:, I have noticed a definite anti motorhome feeling where before there was none. I wonder if it has anything to do with those that think its OK to discharge there waste products anywhere they think fit. Its my motorhome and I will do what I like with it springs to mind. When using someone else's property,ie a campsite I think the least you can do is respect there wishes by not dumping your foul water where others have to camp. Even if it has nice bubbles in it and you personally filter it with your coffee filters, I don't want to sit in it, and I don't want my grandchildren playing in it either. I wonder if some of the "Dump it were I want" fraternity would be happy to block up there drains at home and just let there foul water run all over the garden. As said "Its only water with bubbles in it" Think of all the money you could save by blocking your drains up and allowing this nice clean water to run all over your garden.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
It doesn't worry me at all & we will continue venturing south of this country. As wardens we experience all sorts of customers with different attitudes & the soiled toilet tissue in the bin is seen in this country too & is all part of the job of being a warden. The replies this thread has generated goes to show that there are those that think of others & those that don't.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Some may scoff but there are many more none motorhomers than motorhomers. Not one will understand the intricacies of black grey and clean water. If they see a motorhome travelling down the road discharging liquid from underneath they do not know for what it is other than diesel, grey water or sh*t. Regarding travelling in Europe, over the last few years of engaging in this pastime :winky:, I have noticed a definite anti motorhome feeling where before there was none. I wonder if it has anything to do with those that think its OK to discharge there waste products anywhere they think fit. Its my motorhome and I will do what I like with it springs to mind. When using someone else's property,ie a campsite I think the least you can do is respect there wishes by not dumping your foul water where others have to camp. Even if it has nice bubbles in it and you personally filter it with your coffee filters, I don't want to sit in it, and I don't want my grandchildren playing in it either. I wonder if some of the "Dump it were I want" fraternity would be happy to block up there drains at home and just let there foul water run all over the garden. As said "Its only water with bubbles in it" Think of all the money you could save by blocking your drains up and allowing this nice clean water to run all over your garden.

The fact that black as well as grey waste goes into the drainage system makes that a less than sensible proposition.
However there were many times over the years when there has been drought with hosepipe bans, where sink, bath, shower and washing machine water has been used by me, to keep the Veg, flowers and even tomatoes alive. The veg and tomatoes still tasted good and I and my family appeared to suffer no ill effects.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
With no ill effects to YOUR family eh Pete. I sincerely hope no long term damage has been done, but just maybe this link may change your mind. Its not just a few bubbles and clean water, many use all sorts of cleaning sprays and potions that all go down the sink. Have even heard of some putting toilet blue down there to stop the grey tank smelling. Would you really want your family playing in that, regardless of how much you dilute it with water.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
With no ill effects to YOUR family eh Pete. I sincerely hope no long term damage has been done, but just maybe this link may change your mind. Its not just a few bubbles and clean water, many use all sorts of cleaning sprays and potions that all go down the sink. Have even heard of some putting toilet blue down there to stop the grey tank smelling. Would you really want your family playing in that, regardless of how much you dilute it with water.
best thing then is everyone keeps inside never to venture out because dont forget the crap thats in the air im quite sure a small amount of washing up water slowly dribbled onto our roads is harmless as for non mh owners seeing us in a different way because they see someone dropping waste is rubbish non mh owners dont like us anyway they hate the freedom we have and they dont ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
best thing then is everyone keeps inside never to venture out because dont forget the crap thats in the air im quite sure a small amount of washing up water slowly dribbled onto our roads is harmless as for non mh owners seeing us in a different way because they see someone dropping waste is rubbish non mh owners dont like us anyway they hate the freedom we have and they dont ::bigsmile:

But YOU are choosing to ignore the original post. We are NOT talking of dribbling a little water on the road or for that matter waste land. We are talking about DUMPING foul water where someone else has to pitch, on a campsite where others are camping and children playing :Doh:.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
What a load of crap !! (liquid !!!!)

Why is it that posts about waste, bodily fluids and excrement always attract a HUGE following ?????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Life is short....get on with it.......deal with it...and above all....

Always look on the bright side of life !! ( To be played at my demise !) :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek

No wardens were hurt during typing this post !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back