Drive off with Grey Waste Drain Tap Open WHY? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are at least 3 reasons not drive off with your waste valve open.
1) You can put contaminants on the road which could affect other road users safety (motorcyclists)
2) Health issues, dumping your waste across a campsite as per the OP. No matter how clean your tank it just can't be healthy.
3) Reputation. Dumping stuff on the road gives others a bad impression of our hobby.

I can think of only one reason to leave your waste valve open when driving.
1) Laziness..
Ok, just thought of another
2) Lack of consideration for others.

I have seen a motorhome going round a roundabout and huge gushes of waste water rushing out over the road. A motorcyclist hitting this would not be anticipating it as it was a hot summers day. He could have slid off and under a lorry. This motorhome continued to dump waste water every time he went round a right hand bend or turn for many miles. If I recall this was on the way back from the Stratford motorhome show a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would just like to add, I am not a campsite warden, never have been and never will be, but I respect there right to ask GUESTS not to do something that may upset or harm others or interfere with there enjoyment of camping.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Quite frankly I don't feel I need a lecture on how I choose to motorhome.

My waste stays open when I want and when i feel it neccasay. I wouldn't leave it open on a campsite but then I wouldn't choose to stay on a camp site especially if the OP comments are anything to go by. I hate rules.

What I don't particularly like is the judgemental opinions of some posters towards others.

Yesterday I spent the day at chester racecourse avoiding my dog from picking up cigarette butts from those smoking around mine and or their own vans and leaving the butts where they stamped them out.

If that's how people choose to live then that's up to them, not what I would do and I certainly won't be starting a thread on judging them about it.

I leave my waste open and yet many of you know nothing about me to judge me, but if you choose to judge me on that fact then you will never get too know my qualities.

Happy motorhoming :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My waste stays open when I want and when i feel it neccasay. I wouldn't leave it open on a campsite but then I wouldn't choose to stay on a camp site especially if the OP comments are anything to go by. I hate rules.
What I don't particularly like is the judgemental opinions of some posters towards others.
Yesterday I spent the day at chester racecourse avoiding my dog from picking up [HI]cigarette butts[/HI] from those smoking around mine and or their own vans and [HI]leaving the butts where they stamped them out. [/HI]
If that's how people choose to live then that's up to them, not what I would do and I certainly won't be starting a thread on judging them about it.
I leave my waste open and yet many of you know nothing about me to judge me, but if you choose to judge me on that fact then you will never get too know my qualities.
Cigarette butts on the beach or around the pool or the van is my absolute pet hate. I don't like rules either but there should be a strict rule about the discarding of cigarette butts in public places. £100 on the spot fine :Angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010

The OP was NOT intended to be a lecture & on our campsite its not a rule. I posed the question to try & ascertain why motorhomers do it when there are facilities on site to dump their grey waste responsibly.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
With no ill effects to YOUR family eh Pete. I sincerely hope no long term damage has been done, but just maybe this link may change your mind. Its not just a few bubbles and clean water, many use all sorts of cleaning sprays and potions that all go down the sink. Have even heard of some putting toilet blue down there to stop the grey tank smelling. Would you really want your family playing in that, regardless of how much you dilute it with water.
Dead easy when you have had enough beer. I cant tell the BBQ from the fridge :ROFLMAO:
[HI]Have even been know to P in the sink [/HI]and wash my hands in the pan before now.
You said it.....:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Cigarette butts on the beach or around the pool or the van is my absolute pet hate. I don't like rules either but there should be a strict rule about the discarding of cigarette butts in public places. £100 on the spot fine :Angry:

There is Buttons not £100 but you can under the littering act be given a fine.

The OP was NOT intended to be a lecture & on our campsite its not a rule. I posed the question to try & ascertain why motorhomers do it when there are facilities on site to dump their grey waste responsibly.

Yes but your thread of course rapidly descended in to a hollier than thou lecture of those that choose to motorhome differently.

You then wander why people fill up with water before moving on? I hope this question has been answered for you.
We always fill up with water before leaving home and before leaving a site, especially if we have had to pay an arm and a leg to stop over for a night.
We never know when we will be stopping how long for or even if we will. Having an empty toilet and a full tank of water will mean I can do as I please. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You said it.....:winky:

Tongue in cheek my good man....Tongue in cheek :Cool:. Some of my ancestors would not even have water of any description in a living van never mind a toilet,sink or shower.

Attachments

• tumblr_lutgcvcInS1r1bik9o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lutgcvcInS1r1bik9o1_1280.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 30

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think this thread proves one thing only, and that is regardless of how much evidence is put forward regarding any subject some motorhomers will still do just what they please with no regard to other peoples wishes.
Regarding smoking, I am a smoker and I use an old travel sweet tin as an ashtray outside my van. When I have put a cigarette out in it the lid goes on. If I am out and about and smoking I put the cigarette out and the tip goes in my pocket until I find a bin or until I get home.
I have had dog owners that don't bat an eyelid when there dog cocks its leg up on my wheels or even the awning leg. They are completely bemused when I give them a baby wipe and ask them to wipe it off. I may just have to change that wheel or wind in the awning. I would not dream of saying no dogs on campsites any more than I would expect someone else to say no smokers.
Its quite obvious that some will do as they please regardless of what is said, so the best thing is do just as you want with no regard to anyone else. You can take a horse to water.
Children will tell you what they do, men what they think, and elders what they have seen and heard :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I think this thread proves one thing only, and that is regardless of how much evidence is put forward regarding any subject some motorhomers will still do just what they please with no regard to other peoples wishes:

I think you need to replace motorhomers for people.

As for evidence?

I've not read anything anywhere that makes me think that I ought to run back to Chester and clean up my waste water that drained on to the rally field.

I also only saw about 2 motorhomes with any collection/collecting of water. Am I expected to believe that all 70 ralliers responsibly returned to a non existent drain point and emptied? I doubt it. :Smile:
I know that many actually left open to drain in to the field, ( I saw them) so do we have 60+ irresponsible motorhome funsters?

I personally do not think so. And I will not be calling them lazy or irresponsible .

Some even ran generators, despite evidence on a motorhome forum that it p*sses off others. The VW lot even played music too loud for a few hours, kids ran about kicking balls on the field meant for playing polo.

As said some even smoked, and put cigarettes out on the floor, some even walked dogs and someone even left their dog poo on the ground and didn't clean up for ages. Some people even drank too much and I saw someone at cakes miss the bin and leave the cake wrapper on the floor.

If I spent my life letting any of the above piss me off then I would have no time in my life for any of the things that are worth being upset about.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think you need to replace motorhomers for people.

As for evidence?

I've not read anything anywhere that makes me think that I ought to run back to Chester and clean up my waste water that drained on to the rally field.

I also only saw about 2 motorhomes with any collection/collecting of water. Am I expected to believe that all 70 ralliers responsibly returned to a non existent drain point and emptied? I doubt it. :Smile:
I know that many actually left open to drain in to the field, ( I saw them) so do we have 60+ irresponsible motorhome funsters?

I personally do not think so. And I will not be calling them lazy or irresponsible .

Some even ran generators, despite evidence on a motorhome forum that it p*sses off others. The VW lot even played music too loud for a few hours, kids ran about kicking balls on the field meant for playing polo.

As said some even smoked, and put cigarettes out on the floor, some even walked dogs and someone even left their dog poo on the ground and didn't clean up for ages. Some people even drank too much and I saw someone at cakes miss the bin and leave the cake wrapper on the floor.

If I spent my life letting any of the above piss me off then I would have no time in my life for any of the things that are worth being upset about.

With respect Paul, please read original post. We are not talking rally fields. We are talking CAMPSITES. Where CAMPERS will quite possibly be CAMPED next day in the filth left behind. I have already posted re, rally fields, waste ground, roadways, supermarket carparks etc. The OP is a CAMPSITE warden not a rally marshal.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
But YOU are choosing to ignore the original post. We are NOT talking of dribbling a little water on the road or for that matter waste land. We are talking about DUMPING foul water where someone else has to pitch, on a campsite where others are camping and children playing :Doh:.

i am chosing to ignor nothing the threaded ended up regarding waste removal in general i believe my dumping of my grey waste as i am driving around the roads not the sites is less harmful than someone smoking a foul cigarette near other people you may remove your butts and not litter with them but have you ever thought oof the foul smell they make when someone walks passed you and you are blowing the smoke out regardless of where or who it is affecting :Smile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
The whole point surely is where facility has been provided to dispose of our waste products then the decent thing to do is respect their wishes and use them.After all its not really alot to ask and doesnt take to long out of our short lives to do so.I for one wouldnt want to pull onto a pitch where someones washing up water has been dumped, no more than someone has dumped the water they washed their genitals with.But hey ho there are some who think they are a cut above and me for one would find it pretty easy to get into a tear up with someone who done it next to me.Just saying :Smile: WHEN IN rome and all that.

This is not aimed at anyone by the way,its just my opinion i am voicing,Ive never seen anyone do it near me on a site,but if they did do it near me i would probably let them know my views. However i am not about to start looking out for "dirty buggers" lol.

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The whole point surely is where facility has been provided to dispose of our waste products then the decent thing to do is respect their wishes and use them.After all its not really alot to ask and doesnt take to long out of our short lives to do so.I for one wouldnt want to pull onto a pitch where someones washing up water has been dumped, no more than someone has dumped the water they washed their genitals with.But hey ho there are some who think they are a cut above and me for one would find it pretty easy to get into a tear up with someone who done it next to me.Just saying :Smile: WHEN IN rome and all that.

This is not aimed at anyone by the way,its just my opinion i am voicing,Ive never seen anyone do it near me on a site,but if they did do it near me i would probably let them know my views. However i am not about to start looking out for "dirty buggers" lol.

Funny old world ain't it?

Dogs Cats and any number of wild animals have been sh****ng and pi***ng on this piece of hallowed turf you call a pitch but the real threat to your health is a bit of soapy water, which may or may not have been in the vicinity of someone's genitalia.:RollEyes:

Oh and not forgetting the oil, antifreeze and all the other stuff that drops off parked motor vehicles.:Smile:

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Funny old world ain't it?

Dogs Cats and any number of wild animals have been sh****ng and pi***ng on this piece of hallowed turf you call a pitch but the real threat to your health is a bit of soapy water.:RollEyes:

Pete:Cool:

Why add to to it unnecessarily Itinerant Pete ?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Some camp sites have not catered to the needs of a motorhome. I stayed at a site recently where the water tap had no thread so no hose connection was possible - it could only be used to fill a waterhog container with one of those rubber funnels on the end. Equally the disposal of grey water was impossible too with a gulley specifically designed to empty a wheeled container. Yet the camp site claimed to be suitable for motorhomes :Doh:

Some motorhomes have reduced payloads and so cannot travel with fresh water and grey water tanks full.

If the facilities are provided it would be inconsiderate not to use them. Ensuring those with motorhomes know the location of services provided for them would reduce the instances of this practice which some find upsetting.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Some camp sites have not catered to the needs of a motorhome. I stayed at a site recently where the water tap had no thread so no hose connection was possible - it could only be used to fill a waterhog container with one of those rubber funnels on the end. Equally the disposal of grey water was impossible too with a gulley specifically designed to empty a wheeled container. Yet the camp site claimed to be suitable for motorhomes :Doh:

Some motorhomes have reduced payloads and so cannot travel with fresh water and grey water tanks full.

If the facilities are provided it would be inconsiderate not to use them. Ensuring those with motorhomes know the location of services provided for them would reduce the instances of this practice which some find upsetting.

Hello Sidney,Ive been on cl's like these also but i have an aray of fitments for the hose and would use the rubber hose end with a jubilee clip with thumb turn on it.I also carry a grey waste container on wheels which i would leave under the van joined to the waste outlet via a piece of pipe.I just feel as you say we should do our best to abide by others rules on their property.Its a bit like me asking visitors to my home to take their shoes off at the door,if they dont like it they dont come in.Ive yet to have anyone leave.Unfortunately we cant all be the same and a good job too as it would be boring and we couldnt aggravate each other.:thumb:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just had a thought. It's lonely so I'll share it. Being an ex tugger i know that when you disconnect from a caravan there is some waste liquid in the pipes there that comesout as you are pulling away and for the next couple of miles. Surely if you empty your tank properly before driving off site ( in the proper manner ) the drips are no worse than what a caravan deposits. Willing to be told otherwise but just had to share my thought....:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Yesterday I spent the day at chester racecourse avoiding my dog from picking up cigarette butts from those smoking around mine and or their own vans and leaving the butts where they stamped them out.

I haven't seen any lectures Hagger's only opinions, or are we not allowed to have opinions as they might appear as lectures:RollEyes:?

I have no problems with grey waste draining onto rally fields if the owners of said field ok that like they did at Stratford 2 years ago:thumb:.

However draining while going across a campsite where facilities are provided is in my opinion rude and lazy.

Draining onto the road is dangerous and as an ex biker I would pretty annoyed if a motorhomer caused me to come off my bike or sent a shower of sink/shower water all over me especially if any of it splashed up the inside of my helmet and onto my face.. Or if I had my visor open.

I have met you a couple of times, I like and respect you and wouldn't deign to lecture you. However if you do something I disagree with I do reserve the right to mention it without any rancour.

I totally agree with you on cigarette butts. You will always find me at the end of each rally I attend wandering round where the meeting area was after it has been taken down collecting fag butts. I always like to leave a site cleaner than find it. I will in most cases when in public stubb a ciggy out and put the butt in my pocket if nothing suitable is to hand.

You are entitled to a rant on the subject of cigarette butts anytime you want. I am sure the vast majority of smokers will agree with you..:thumb:
Only a tiny minority will say that they don't like being told what to do or will do whatever they want and don't feel the need to ask permission :winky:::bigsmile:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I haven't seen any lectures Hagger's only opinions, or are we not allowed to have opinions as they might appear as lectures:RollEyes:?

[HI]Draining onto the road is dangerous and as an ex biker I would pretty annoyed if a motorhomer caused me to come off my bike or sent a shower of sink/shower water all over me especially if any of it splashed up the inside of my helmet and onto my face.. Or if I had my visor open.[/HI]

Its a good job these motorhomers are EX bikers because I have seen water out there, I don't know what the tyres used to be like when these said EX bikers where out on the road but as a CURRENT biker my tyres can handle a little bit of water and have done many many times.
I have even seen riders out in the rain

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
yep lazy barstewards and inconsiderate

I have no problems with grey waste draining onto rally fields if the owners of said field ok that like they did at Stratford 2 years ago:thumb:.

However draining while going across a campsite where facilities are provided is in my opinion rude and lazy.

Draining onto the road is dangerous and as an ex biker I would pretty annoyed if a motorhomer caused me to come off my bike or sent a shower of sink/shower water all over me especially if any of it splashed up the inside of my helmet and onto my face.. Or if I had my visor open.

I have met you a couple of times, I like and respect you and wouldn't deign to lecture you. However if you do something I disagree with I do reserve the right to mention it without any rancour.

I totally agree with you on cigarette butts. You will always find me at the end of each rally I attend wandering round where the meeting area was after it has been taken down collecting fag butts. I always like to leave a site cleaner than find it. I will in most cases when in public stubb a ciggy out and put the butt in my pocket if nothing suitable is to hand.

You are entitled to a rant on the subject of cigarette butts anytime you want. I am sure the vast majority of smokers will agree with you..:thumb:
Only a tiny minority will say that they don't like being told what to do or will do whatever they want and don't feel the need to ask permission :winky:::bigsmile:

Your post sounds like a lecture. Your opinion that I or others must be lazy for not doing what you or others agree with sounds patronising. That of course is my opinion that you so rightly say I'm entitled too.

The point of my post is the ridiculous things that people allow thmselves to get worried about, whether it be smoking drinking or your neighbour dressing in a bikini, next you will be telling me that we should do away with Easter and that bank holidays are a waste of time and bad for business. :winky:

Personally I would choose to empty at the waste point and then leave it open to get rid of any dregs whilst I drive away spilling probably a cup if not more and a few drips.

The OP asked a question, he has had his answers, ill just leave it at that thanks.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Oh I know mate.

I've three sizes of Hoselock threaded connections, one of those odd funnel fill pipes with a Hoselock on the end together with a WaterHog and a WasteHog. But I don't like taking all this kit. I take what I'm likely to need not everything I may need.

That said I more often have stuff that helps others who don't have the right bits and pieces. It's nice to be able to help other campers :thumb:

Hello Sidney,Ive been on cl's like these also but i have an aray of fitments for the hose and would use the rubber hose end with a jubilee clip with thumb turn on it.I also carry a grey waste container on wheels which i would leave under the van joined to the waste outlet via a piece of pipe.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Oh I know mate.

I've three sizes of Hoselock threaded connections, one of those odd funnel fill pipes with a Hoselock on the end together with a WaterHog and a WasteHog. But I don't like taking all this kit. I take what I'm likely to need not everything I may need.

That said I more often have stuff that helps others who don't have the right bits and pieces. It's nice to be able to help other campers :thumb:

Agree in full old chap :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i am chosing to ignor nothing the threaded ended up regarding waste removal in general i believe my dumping of my grey waste as i am driving around the roads not the sites is less harmful than someone smoking a foul cigarette near other people you may remove your butts and not litter with them but have you ever thought oof the foul smell they make when someone walks passed you and you are blowing the smoke out regardless of where or who it is affecting :Smile:

I give up :Doh:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I take it if i dont know where im going or if we do know where we are going just ask a couple of questions whilst booking :Smile: Its good to talk Sidney :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back