Dogs on sites ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Aug 12, 2011.

?

Should dogs be allowed on sites

1. No, they ruin the whole experience

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Yes, they're a delight to their owners and others

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Yes - but only if they're taken care of properly

130 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's the most popular topic in the Caravan Times community, and a debate which has raged for well over a year. Namely, should dogs be allowed on caravan sites.

Having recently broken through the 600 post mark, the topic continues to draw a huge variety of responses, and having seen many passionate posts from both sides.

So what do the funsters think.. should dogs be allowed on sites ?

For the purposes of a comparison I have phrased the poll questions the same.

2. Drew

Drew Funster

Absolutely yes.

However it is the responsibility of the dog owner to keep them under control at all times, to clear up after them and to ensure they aren't a nuisance to other people.
    (that goes for children as well).:Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 8
  3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

As a site owner I don't have a problem with dogs if owners are responsible. Had a couple with 5 Basset hounds recently in a folding camper no problem. Owners were with a Basset hound rescue trust and loved their pets to bits. Have had problems in the past but its the owners not the dogs that are the problem.
    A lot of our customers have dogs and choose to come here because we are rural.

• Like Like x 6
  4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I believe so! So long as they are well behaved and kept on a lead, owners pick up - even on a dog walk area - I cannot see a problem.

There are seperate issues as to if you should take your dog out with you - or even on holiday in some temperatures. If you do not have air conditioning on and a hot week is forecast, it is probably wise to leave your dog with friends.

As much as we cannot be parted from ours, we are responsible enough to leave him at home on a hot day - and this has to be thought about when in a motorhome too. If going out for the day, you need to keep him/her cool and comfortable. Dousing the chest in water is a good way of cooling them off - if leaving the vehicle on site, then leave the ar-con on and the blinds down.

Otherwise, our dog absolutely loves camping!:thumb:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Absolutly:thumb:

On leads at all times PERIOD, making sure the lead is a sensible length, ie can't allow the dog into roadways, other pitches etc and make sure any enevitable barking, it's a dog thing, is kept to a minimum! Also, CLEAN UP AFTER THE DOG WHEREVER it's done it's buisness, drives me mad, dog walks, more like bloody mine fields:Angry:

OH, yes we are dog owners:thumb:

(Don't do children though, we'd have many bound and gagged:Rofl1:)

• Like Like x 6
  6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I can't vote on this one as I do not go on "Sites" and I do not have a dog. but having said that I would now say that there are no bad dog only bad owners, owners who let there dogs wander and/or let there dog's foul without picking it up deserve a far greater punisment than they get, if any.

Doug...

• Like Like x 8
  7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:thumb:Absolutley they should be allowed and I have voted -Yes - but only if they're taken care of properly - I would also have liked to vote "B" as well.

We have not had a dog for around 6 years and probably wont while we have the m/h - but that is just a personal opinion in that we often spend time away birding where you cant take dogs & would not to want to leave it in the van all day.

Brian

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Personal opinion, and an experience here. If you want your pal (dog) with you plan accordingly. We do leave shelby in the van now and agian but generally prefer to have her with us, simples if she's with us we can relax and take our time with whatever. Obviously this doesn't always work, non dog friendly activities, longer walks involved, unfortunatly Shelby has a dicky leg and can't go far, but we have a trolley now and a trailer for the bike, untested yet.

If it's hot any van time has to be minimual, quicj dash to a supermarket kinda thing, and, the experience share here, yes leaving the aircon is a great idea, as long as your neighbours are out AND the site doesn't have a power cut! Tesco run, less then 45 mins air on, power cut at site and the load on start up was too much for the EHU trip, hardly suprising, and lesson learnt.

As said, fundamentaly personnal opinions here, ie I'm not picking on anyone:thumb:

9. pepper386

pepper386 Funster

Yes, as wardens on a site in west wales dogs are welcome,
    At whitsun we had a labadour forum on site with 27 dogs they were better behaved than the kids and no mess and less noise, :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Looks to me like it wants to escape!

11. laneside

laneside Funster

RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS VOTE NOW

Reading the posts on Caravan Times this is very much the case of the wheel that makes the most noise gets the most oil

The minority will get their way as they did with fox hunting if we do not stand up and be counted

IRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS

Get your act together and give the moaners nothing to shout about

• Like Like x 2
  12. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I voted No.
    I would have voted for the last option, proper care, etc., but the fact is most owners let the dogs run loose, barking, slobbering and crapping all over the place, then tell us "that's what dogs do"....I dont want them to do any of that near me.
    I have seen many apparently responsible dog owners with a plastic bag to pick up crap, but I've yet to see one with anything in it, but I've stood in the offerings a time or two.
    Therefore cant believe they always pick up.
    I understand dog crap has elements in it that can seriously damage kids?
    Also, dogs occasionally attack young kids.
    This isnt down to a lack of so called "training" (obedience through fear or for reward), it's down to them being a hunting animal, or "that's what dogs do" Kids and dogs dont mix.
    Are dogs ok / No kids sites the answer?

• Like Like x 3
  13. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

I have just spent an enjoyable week on the Hillheads C.C. at Brixham , Devon . On the morning I left I was up early and went to the toilet block for a quick freshen up , on rounding a corner I was confronted by a huge Rottweiler running wild and free with an equally huge owner trying to catch it . My intial shock was soon replaced by relief when I realised it meant me no harm . But with a lot of young children on site is letting a large dog run free a good idea . Once again it wasn't the dog to blame but an irresponsible owner .

Mick .

• Like Like x 1
  14. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes theyshould but maybe they should be made to leave their owners at home:Rofl1::Rofl1:.

Our JRT Toby loves the mh if we have the door of it open at home he just jumps in and sits on his seat ready for the off. As has been said above it is more the owners than the dogs just exactly the same as kids more the parents than the kids. We haven't taking Toby abroad yet jdue to the fact our daughter is only 14 and we tend to go to beaches,water parks and theme parks where dogs are normally not allowed and id never want to leave him in van when really hot.

What i dont agree with is when sites want to charge you £5 a night for your dog, and its less for the kids :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No need to disqualify yourself, Doug. You've attended meets in the past and a meet is a "site" albeit temporary.

16. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

When we get a young dog it invariably makes a mess in the house or chews something - it's what happens. :Sad:
    The dog gets reprimanded, smacked, growled at (by my wife) etc and within a short period of time the mutt's learned the way of the world and becomes a loved member of the family for life. A team player who knows the difference between right and wrong. Lovely. :Smile:
    It also works with children and if some parents took the bother to do a bit of tuition in the way of life and its rules we wouldn't have stupid people 'rioting'.:Doh:
    (Never see a dog rioting or looting now do you.)

• Like Like x 4
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm allergic to dogs (and other furry beasts) and can testify that an asthma attack brought on by contact with dogs (which could even be something as trivial as hairs deposited on trouser legs by an uncontrolled dog rubbing against them) is not a pleasant experience.

Experience of Fun meets is that owners do keep their dogs controlled in general. Wish it was the same elsewhere.

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

He is a people watcher. The hours that dog spends watching the world go by! Even at home he will sit in the garden watching people and cars pass by.

I think that picture was taken when we pulled up opposite Lathams in Norfolk. There were people wandering around the boats which immeadiately grabbed his attention!

Mick; I understand where you are coming from with loose dogs - the rottie was obviously playful, and it doesn't take much for a small child to run or panic, and the dog think it is a game. It may not intend to harm, but small children do not understand. It goes for any breed, certainly not just a rottie.

I NEVER use sites that charge for dogs if I can really help it! If I call a site and they say x amount for the dog, I usually tell them to forget it and we will go somewhere more welcoming.

I remember staying overnight at Fleet, near Bridport - the woman came into the van to check the cupboards to make sure we didn't have a second dog hidden.......I never suffer fools, and just smiled and replied 'Only a site owner that is greedy enough to charge for a dog, would think we were greedy enough to try and hide one'

She didn't like it - I didn't like her!:Wink:

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Interesting that
    You cant take your Bird Dogging either:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  20. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Er, Geo,
    Perhaps you'd like to think about that!? :Blush::BigGrin:

John