• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's the most popular topic in the Caravan Times community, and a debate which has raged for well over a year. Namely, should dogs be allowed on caravan sites.

Having recently broken through the 600 post mark, the topic continues to draw a huge variety of responses, and having seen many passionate posts from both sides.

So what do the funsters think.. should dogs be allowed on sites ?

For the purposes of a comparison I have phrased the poll questions the same.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Absolutely yes.

However it is the responsibility of the dog owner to keep them under control at all times, to clear up after them and to ensure they aren't a nuisance to other people.
(that goes for children as well).:Eeek::Eeek:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
As a site owner I don't have a problem with dogs if owners are responsible. Had a couple with 5 Basset hounds recently in a folding camper no problem. Owners were with a Basset hound rescue trust and loved their pets to bits. Have had problems in the past but its the owners not the dogs that are the problem.
A lot of our customers have dogs and choose to come here because we are rural.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I believe so! So long as they are well behaved and kept on a lead, owners pick up - even on a dog walk area - I cannot see a problem.

There are seperate issues as to if you should take your dog out with you - or even on holiday in some temperatures. If you do not have air conditioning on and a hot week is forecast, it is probably wise to leave your dog with friends.

As much as we cannot be parted from ours, we are responsible enough to leave him at home on a hot day - and this has to be thought about when in a motorhome too. If going out for the day, you need to keep him/her cool and comfortable. Dousing the chest in water is a good way of cooling them off - if leaving the vehicle on site, then leave the ar-con on and the blinds down.

Otherwise, our dog absolutely loves camping!:thumb:

Photo146.jpg

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Absolutely yes.

However it is the responsibility of the dog owner to keep them under control at all times, to clear up after them and to ensure they aren't a nuisance to other people.

Absolutly:thumb:

On leads at all times PERIOD, making sure the lead is a sensible length, ie can't allow the dog into roadways, other pitches etc and make sure any enevitable barking, it's a dog thing, is kept to a minimum! Also, CLEAN UP AFTER THE DOG WHEREVER it's done it's buisness, drives me mad, dog walks, more like bloody mine fields:Angry:

OH, yes we are dog owners:thumb:

(Don't do children though, we'd have many bound and gagged:ROFLMAO:)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I can't vote on this one as I do not go on "Sites" and I do not have a dog. but having said that I would now say that there are no bad dog only bad owners, owners who let there dogs wander and/or let there dog's foul without picking it up deserve a far greater punisment than they get, if any.

Doug...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:thumb:Absolutley they should be allowed and I have voted -Yes - but only if they're taken care of properly - I would also have liked to vote "B" as well.

We have not had a dog for around 6 years and probably wont while we have the m/h - but that is just a personal opinion in that we often spend time away birding where you cant take dogs & would not to want to leave it in the van all day.

Brian

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
There are seperate issues as to if you should take your dog out with you - or even on holiday in some temperatures. If you do not have air conditioning on and a hot week is forecast, it is probably wise to leave your dog with friends.

As much as we cannot be parted from ours, we are responsible enough to leave him at home on a hot day - and this has to be thought about when in a motorhome too. If going out for the day, you need to keep him/her cool and comfortable. Dousing the chest in water is a good way of cooling them off - if leaving the vehicle on site, then leave the ar-con on and the blinds down.

Otherwise, our dog absolutely loves camping!:thumb:

Personal opinion, and an experience here. If you want your pal (dog) with you plan accordingly. We do leave shelby in the van now and agian but generally prefer to have her with us, simples if she's with us we can relax and take our time with whatever. Obviously this doesn't always work, non dog friendly activities, longer walks involved, unfortunatly Shelby has a dicky leg and can't go far, but we have a trolley now and a trailer for the bike, untested yet.

If it's hot any van time has to be minimual, quicj dash to a supermarket kinda thing, and, the experience share here, yes leaving the aircon is a great idea, as long as your neighbours are out AND the site doesn't have a power cut! Tesco run, less then 45 mins air on, power cut at site and the load on start up was too much for the EHU trip, hardly suprising, and lesson learnt.

As said, fundamentaly personnal opinions here, ie I'm not picking on anyone:thumb:

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Yes, as wardens on a site in west wales dogs are welcome,
At whitsun we had a labadour forum on site with 27 dogs they were better behaved than the kids and no mess and less noise, :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
It's the most popular topic in the Caravan Times community, and a debate which has raged for well over a year. Namely, should dogs be allowed on caravan sites.

Having recently broken through the 600 post mark, the topic continues to draw a huge variety of responses, and having seen many passionate posts from both sides.

So what do the funsters think.. should dogs be allowed on sites ?

For the purposes of a comparison I have phrased the poll questions the same.

RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS VOTE NOW

Reading the posts on Caravan Times this is very much the case of the wheel that makes the most noise gets the most oil

The minority will get their way as they did with fox hunting if we do not stand up and be counted

IRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS

Get your act together and give the moaners nothing to shout about

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I voted No.
I would have voted for the last option, proper care, etc., but the fact is most owners let the dogs run loose, barking, slobbering and crapping all over the place, then tell us "that's what dogs do"....I dont want them to do any of that near me.
I have seen many apparently responsible dog owners with a plastic bag to pick up crap, but I've yet to see one with anything in it, but I've stood in the offerings a time or two.
Therefore cant believe they always pick up.
I understand dog crap has elements in it that can seriously damage kids?
Also, dogs occasionally attack young kids.
This isnt down to a lack of so called "training" (obedience through fear or for reward), it's down to them being a hunting animal, or "that's what dogs do" Kids and dogs dont mix.
Are dogs ok / No kids sites the answer?

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I have just spent an enjoyable week on the Hillheads C.C. at Brixham , Devon . On the morning I left I was up early and went to the toilet block for a quick freshen up , on rounding a corner I was confronted by a huge Rottweiler running wild and free with an equally huge owner trying to catch it . My intial shock was soon replaced by relief when I realised it meant me no harm . But with a lot of young children on site is letting a large dog run free a good idea . Once again it wasn't the dog to blame but an irresponsible owner .

Mick .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes theyshould but maybe they should be made to leave their owners at home:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Our JRT Toby loves the mh if we have the door of it open at home he just jumps in and sits on his seat ready for the off. As has been said above it is more the owners than the dogs just exactly the same as kids more the parents than the kids. We haven't taking Toby abroad yet jdue to the fact our daughter is only 14 and we tend to go to beaches,water parks and theme parks where dogs are normally not allowed and id never want to leave him in van when really hot.

What i dont agree with is when sites want to charge you £5 a night for your dog, and its less for the kids :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't vote on this one as I do not go on "Sites" and I do not have a dog. but having said that I would now say that there are no bad dog only bad owners, owners who let there dogs wander and/or let there dog's foul without picking it up deserve a far greater punisment than they get, if any.

Doug...

No need to disqualify yourself, Doug. You've attended meets in the past and a meet is a "site" albeit temporary.

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
When we get a young dog it invariably makes a mess in the house or chews something - it's what happens. :Sad:
The dog gets reprimanded, smacked, growled at (by my wife) etc and within a short period of time the mutt's learned the way of the world and becomes a loved member of the family for life. A team player who knows the difference between right and wrong. Lovely. :Smile:
It also works with children and if some parents took the bother to do a bit of tuition in the way of life and its rules we wouldn't have stupid people 'rioting'.:Doh:
(Never see a dog rioting or looting now do you.)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm allergic to dogs (and other furry beasts) and can testify that an asthma attack brought on by contact with dogs (which could even be something as trivial as hairs deposited on trouser legs by an uncontrolled dog rubbing against them) is not a pleasant experience.

Experience of Fun meets is that owners do keep their dogs controlled in general. Wish it was the same elsewhere.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Looks to me like it wants to escape!

He is a people watcher. The hours that dog spends watching the world go by! Even at home he will sit in the garden watching people and cars pass by.

I think that picture was taken when we pulled up opposite Lathams in Norfolk. There were people wandering around the boats which immeadiately grabbed his attention!

Mick; I understand where you are coming from with loose dogs - the rottie was obviously playful, and it doesn't take much for a small child to run or panic, and the dog think it is a game. It may not intend to harm, but small children do not understand. It goes for any breed, certainly not just a rottie.

I NEVER use sites that charge for dogs if I can really help it! If I call a site and they say x amount for the dog, I usually tell them to forget it and we will go somewhere more welcoming.

I remember staying overnight at Fleet, near Bridport - the woman came into the van to check the cupboards to make sure we didn't have a second dog hidden.......I never suffer fools, and just smiled and replied 'Only a site owner that is greedy enough to charge for a dog, would think we were greedy enough to try and hide one'

She didn't like it - I didn't like her!:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:thumb:Absolutley they should be allowed and I have voted -Yes - but only if they're taken care of properly - I would also have liked to vote "B" as well.

We have not had a dog for around 6 years and probably wont while we have the m/h - but that is just a personal opinion in that we often spend time away birding where you cant take dogs & would not to want to leave it in the van all day.

Brian
Interesting that
You cant take your Bird Dogging either:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
dogs

:thumb: Hi Funsters if you become a full timer and you already have a dog what are you suppose to do with it as they are a part of your family. If they are under controll (on a lead) and everything is picked up (poo poos) after them I can't see any problems. If these laws are not followed then either fine the owners or then ask them to make alternative arrangements. (don't forget you pay for your dogs on some sites) :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As you can probably tell from my avatar and posts I am a doggy lover and in favour of dogs on sites unfortunately we have idiots that spoil it.

If you are one of the dog lovers that picks up after your pet and then hides the bag under a hedge, hanging in a tree, chucked over into the field or tucked into holes in walls then do not let me see you doing it or you will wear it

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Perhaps there should be a fourth question: Should dog owners be allowed on caravan sites?

Because surely, it is the dog owner that is the problem. A dog does what it does naturally, but it is the owners responsibility to ensure that whatever it does do, does not impinge on the right of non-dog owners to enjoy their time and space on a caravan site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:thumb: Hi Funsters if you become a full timer and you already have a dog what are you suppose to do with it as they are a part of your family. If they are under controll (on a lead) and everything is picked up (poo poos) after them I can't see any problems. If these laws are not followed then either fine the owners or then ask them to make alternative arrangements. (don't forget you pay for your dogs on some sites) :thumb:

If you become a full timer whilst already having a dog then surely it's welfare (and that of those who will come to contact with it) is a major factor in making the decision isn't it?

If dog ownership and full-timing are incompatible then it can only be a choice of giving up the dog or not becoming a full timer.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yes,

dog's can escape from time to time though, don't chastise all owners as being bad when you see a dog running loose, it happens :Blush:

I do believe in Dogs being on a lead when on site at ALL times. I know the Bring and Buy I done this year it was my stipulation due to a couple of incidents.

But, I also understand that dogs are not everyones best friend. I used to hate the things, had no interest in them at all. Then you would have one run up to you trying to jump up at you and the owner saying "its ok he wont hurt you" may be not but how about if I run up to you with my tougue and dick out and see how you feel about it would often be my response. :Eeek:

Now, Im smitten Tara walked in to our lives and I would not live without, shown us loyalty like no other ive known, educated the kids, educated other peoples kids and even educated runners cyclists and motorcyclists not too go to close to her.

so, No dogs on site? for me = no me on site.:thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I have no problem with dogs on sites as I've got 2 of my own. I do have an issue with having to pay for them though and tend to avoid sites that charge. I find unruly kids more of a problem when the parents are happy to sit around getting drunk while their little horrors run riot :Angry:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
As long as they dont yap yap yap , and if they do they are stopped from doing so , not ignored. Its a dog not a baby :shout:
If they are kept on a lead , or short rope and the owners pick up the poo , dogs are fine by me.
I also think some charges are excessive. Anything over £2 per dog infact:ROFLMAO:

Same as kids really.
As long as they are well behaved , dont run riot , parents make sure they pick up all their rubbish , and they keep well away from my motorhome with their bikes and balls :thumb:

We have 3 kids and 2 dogs BTW.

I think we will be adult only site goers once we dont have the kids with us though .
I hate it when , because we have kids , they put us with all the families.
We lasted only 1 night at Primrose Valley (Because of fellow campers ) We'd booked 3 nights thought the kids would enjoy it , they didnt either. We couldnt be refunded , but left anyway. Put it down to experience , and it sure was :ROFLMAO:
Screaming and shouting fighting , and that's just the parents . " F'ing ger ere nar (enter chav name of choice ) , else yal av no sweets int club tnite !! "

Thats why we prefer the cl's . And choose C.C.C rallies with care. :Blush::roflmto:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Absolutely yes.

Unfortunately, more easily said than done. An increasing number of dog owners allow their pets to foul all areas of campsites because they cant be bothered to walk their dog to the appropriate places. There is no excuse. Own a dog - then take the full responsibility.

Also, dog owners should not assume that we all love their pets. We dont. All we ask is that you keep your dog away from our pitch. Some of us just dont like dogs.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have two dogs and agree that they should be kept under control on a leash, never left alone in a van and and any mess cleaned up properly and disposed of in the correct manner.. accidents do happen on the way to to the dog walk .. but no excuse for not cleaning up ..

Sadly there are too many who flout these very basic rules .. and not just on sites.. I have yet to meet a dog owner who would admit to not cleaning up it's mess... but our streets and parks do not bear this out .. In saying that, it's not half as bad as it is in France or Spain ..

I don't mind paying a SMALL site fee if the owner has provided or has access to a dog walk and has provided poo bins.. but some sites just use it as an excuse to hike the fees up just as they do by charging extra for a pull out awning, pup tent, car etc

A dog is an amazing friend, will always be there to greet you, never questions, is great fun and also an excellent alarm ... Also a great talking point, dog lovers invariable stop and talk when you have your dog out..

I wouldn't be without ours.. but appreciate that not everyone likes them or wants them on sites.. but there are dog free sites just as there are adult only sites.. should keep most campers happy, most of the time..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes,

"its ok he wont hurt you" may be not but how about if I run up to you with my tougue and dick out and see how you feel about it would often be my response. :Eeek:

Paul do you often run up to people with your dick out saying its ok it wont hurt no wonder the NHS is in a state:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back