Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Kev,
Just to clarify some of your 'thoughts':
1. Of Course a Dipstick is 'Push fit'. Please refer to previous and oiginal posts
2. Dipstick desing differs considerably across manufacturer and engine design. Please google it if you are unsure
3. The tube is NOT 8mm it's 12mm. The fit is loose as previously stated.
4. I cannot see for certain any 'crushing' of tube - that's hwy borescope comes in - as previously stated.
5. I have 'REALLY' built many engines, and have never had this issue and nor have my Garage / Petrol Head Engine Builders / or Fiat Commercial 'Chat'. The ONLY reason I posted this thread is because it is so rare. If I knew how to fix it I would have done so and not bothered to POST / JOIN this forum - get it?
6. I am 'Struggling' with the attitude of this forum, especially as a newbie. I can take a bit of 'tongue & Cheek', but feel personal attacks on my abilities as a mechanic some what sore.

I may just fix this myself and not bother to post again, considering this sort of post from you.
Some much for MOTORHOME 'FUN' FORUM - more like MOTORHOME DIG!
seriously, please don't take the dig about your mechanic credentials to heart. That sort of attitude is rare on here, we would rather help and in turn learn something new. I had a dipstick stuck in an engine years ago as the tube was bent where it went into the engine. A good hard pull and twist and it was out. replaced from one from a spare blown engine i had.

back to the bad feeling posts in this thread, if you walk into a quiet country pub, there is always going to be somebody at some point gets stroppy and spouts rubbish. It doesn't detract from the nice pleasant pub and atmosphere, just the same as here. Don't let it spoil your impression of MH Fun as most of us just get on with having a laugh

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hey Calamaster, don't take your bat home. Something said by text doesn't necessarily carry the negative interpretation. There are loads of Funsters who help anyone everyday. That's what's good about this Forum.
Being technically a true numpty, I just wondered that maybe your dipstick problem is caused by Boris Johnson hanging onto the bottom end. No mole grip is going to shift that baby!
Keep us posted with the resolution when it occurs, please.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
seriously, please don't take the dig about your mechanic credentials to heart. That sort of attitude is rare on here, we would rather help and in turn learn something new. I had a dipstick stuck in an engine years ago as the tube was bent where it went into the engine. A good hard pull and twist and it was out. replaced from one from a spare blown engine i had.

back to the bad feeling posts in this thread, if you walk into a quiet country pub, there is always going to be somebody at some point gets stroppy and spouts rubbish. It doesn't detract from the nice pleasant pub and atmosphere, just the same as here. Don't let it spoil your impression of MH Fun as most of us just get on with having a laugh
Well,
I am a member of many forums for many years, all IT / Websites / PHP / Javascript / Coding / High Tech / Computers / VR / Drone related. Never seen such posts as this - ever.
We suposed help each other in a 'matter of fact' way and NEVER question the abilities of the POSTER, let alone have a dig - 'seriously' - very poor show.
I am just trying to solve an issue, which appears to be pretty unique, in a logical/ investigative manner. Not resort to the 'Yank it Out' grunt approach.
Seems not being a 'Grunt' gets me grief on THIS forum.... Oh Well... Sorry for being logical and careful!

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Now I have to go as I need to land an Boeing 737-800 in VR Xplane 11:

At LLBG from LTAI on FMS ILS RULES

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I think its been said...Its all in a little fun! You take it too hard! Dont. Have fun with it and respond to suit! We can all take it. If you wish to shout and tell me to Shut the f%^K up...then as long as you stick a "thumbs up" or a imogi to suit... I /we can handle it! Trust me....I have big shoulders that have put up with some stuff in the past. You will not offend me Honestly.
As regards the issue you have ...have fun with us. Take the "p" out of me and who ever...its not a problem as long has it does not offend the folks on here.
Now...whether your dipstick tube is 8 mm or 20mm....it does not matter.
The important bit is that you have a laugh at it all! Come on! We are all mates really!
Nobody wants to piss someone off ....I really dont want to offend you at all trust me!
If it makes you feel better.....Slag me off and I will accept it.
Look ...there are a lot of really nice folk on here. I thought I was one of them? Perhaps I have overstepped the mark with you? If SO.....I am terribly sorry.
Do not with hold from here...let the folk know how it turns out. We are all learning! Hopefully it will be something really stupid and you can have a really good laugh at the outcome?

Just remember....I am a friend honestly. Sorry if it has upset you.

Kev

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now I have to go as I need to land an Boeing 737-800 in VR Xplane 11:
View attachment 313567

At LLBG from LTAI on FMS ILS RULES
wow that looks serious. A friend of mine, now deceased, used to have a bedroom dedicated to his flight simulator and clocked up many hundreds of hours "flying" all over the world......great hobby

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
wow that looks serious. A friend of mine, now deceased, used to have a bedroom dedicated to his flight simulator and clocked up many hundreds of hours "flying" all over the world......great hobby
I guess as I could not be a pilot I would 'virtual' fly... Have been doing it since MS created FS.
Now xPane11 does VR I am with Oculus Rift X and wow.. like you really are in the Plane!!
Very hard though to get my Virtual Hands on me knobs!
Also, flight plans in FMS are a nightmare to create.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you consider how far technology has evolved since the first iteration of MS flight sim, then think what another 20 years will bring us. I am looking forward to seeing it with my own eyes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
I think its been said...Its all in a little fun! You take it too hard! Dont. Have fun with it and respond to suit! We can all take it. If you wish to shout and tell me to Shut the f%^K up...then as long as you stick a "thumbs up" or a imogi to suit... I /we can handle it! Trust me....I have big shoulders that have put up with some stuff in the past. You will not offend me Honestly.
As regards the issue you have ...have fun with us. Take the "p" out of me and who ever...its not a problem as long has it does not offend the folks on here.
Now...whether your dipstick tube is 8 mm or 20mm....it does not matter.
The important bit is that you have a laugh at it all! Come on! We are all mates really!
Nobody wants to piss someone off ....I really dont want to offend you at all trust me!
If it makes you feel better.....Slag me off and I will accept it.
Look ...there are a lot of really nice folk on here. I thought I was one of them? Perhaps I have overstepped the mark with you? If SO.....I am terribly sorry.
Do not with hold from here...let the folk know how it turns out. We are all learning! Hopefully it will be something really stupid and you can have a really good laugh at the outcome?

Just remember....I am a friend honestly. Sorry if it has upset you.

Kev
Hi Kev,
Thanks for the apology, I was a bit 'taken aback' considering what I am 'used to' in other forums.
I guess that sometimes the 'Golden Rules' I teach Silver Surfers might apply here:
1. If you have nothing positive to say - don't say it.
2. If you think your message may be contentious - sleep on it - You'll probably not send it in the morning.
Applies to Messenger / Email / Facebook / Snapchat /Twitter / Whats App / Instagram... etc etc.
Well, that is what I have been teaching them for over 10 years - and appears to work.
Especially my MOTHER!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Kev,
Thanks for the apology, I was a bit 'taken aback' considering what I am 'used to' in other forums.
I guess that sometimes the 'Golden Rules' I teach Silver Surfers might apply here:
1. If you have nothing positive to say - don't say it.
2. If you think your message may be contentious - sleep on it - You'll probably not send it in the morning.
Applies to Messenger / Email / Facebook / Snapchat /Twitter / Whats App / Instagram... etc etc.
Well, that is what I have been teaching them for over 10 years - and appears to work.
Silver surfers? geriatric keyboard warriors some of them :roflmto:

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning

Whats Face book/ Snapchat/twitter?

See....Im lost!

Lol kev

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017

Whats Face book/ Snapchat/twitter?

See....Im lost!

Lol kev
I think we can collectively call this 'Social Media'.... except that it causes so much grief it should be called 'Anti-Social Media'...lol.. :cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I guess as I could not be a pilot I would 'virtual' fly... Have been doing it since MS created FS.
Now xPane11 does VR I am with Oculus Rift X and wow.. like you really are in the Plane!!
Much more fun with RC flying.
With your hobby you stuff it in the ground you hit reset and start again.
With mine you go home with a binbag full of bits, start rebuilding for maybe a week or two then hope it doesn't happen again.
You're looking from a pilots perspective, I'm looking from a ground spectators perspective.... Far more difficult.

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
With mine you go home with a binbag full of bits, start rebuilding for maybe a week or two then hope it doesn't happen again.
You're looking from a pilots perspective, I'm looking from a ground spectators perspective.... Far more difficult.
I am with Drone
And do this sort of stuff - spot the fat guy..lol

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Try a gliding course for a week as a holiday we did just 35 or so years ago but if you get hooked its a big expense and if you crash it hurts a bit more (luckily not tried that yet)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
thursday.jpg
IT'S DIPSTICK DAY :party2:

I'm off out now to finish off my grandson's car, had head-gasket go on Corsa (what's new there then ?)
Strangely the dipstick tube on that should come out but refused.
I'm looking forward to tonight to see the conclusion of this dip-stick thread in question :dance2:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
So have the Iranian's given you the bits back yet?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
View attachment 313635 IT'S DIPSTICK DAY :party2:

I'm off out now to finish off my grandson's car, had head-gasket go on Corsa (what's new there then ?)
I'm looking forward to tonight to see the conclusion of this dip-stick thread in question :dance2:

Is it worth the bother of fixing ?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

+1 the conclusion by hook or by crook :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am with Drone
And do this sort of stuff - spot the fat guy..lol

Strangely, I can't fly a drone or my helicopter..... I try to fly like a fixed wing with fixed wing inputs and it just doesn't work.
Saying that I haven't flown for going on 20 years now, marriage got in the way.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Is it worth the bother of fixing ?
Yes it is, no bother when you have idle hands.
Despite being an 02 plate he loves it. Head skimmed, new chain and sprockets, new water pump, started up earlier , quiet and smooth.
All parts at trade and FREE labour
I get satisfaction breathing life into dead car.
He is at UNI in Wales in September so I know it will be reliable to and from.
Never mind, back to thread

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Hi All,
Thank you all that suggested 'Bent Pipe'!
Having removed lots of Engine stuff top side I got my Borescope to get this shot:

Now it is not quite like it looks as the kink was not caused by pipe shown.
There's a bracket that holds the sheath in place and some 'Dipstick' put it on the wrong way round and crushed the pipe:

Having got no joy from Fiat I thought I'd get the Sheath out. I did make a vid of it with Hero Cam but it's crap as the sun is shining through bay and you see n hear nowt!.

So, with a bit of Heat and controlled easing out of the kink - All is well.

I am with fully operational Dipstick IN / OUT smooth as American Pie. :giggle:

I hope you all enjoyed the Kinky Dipstick Sheath Saga.

Thanks for all your help :love:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back