Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Maybe you need one to calm you down(y)
Sorry, no. I don't like folk inferring I'm a drunk. My wife died 20 years ago. She was 29. She was an alcoholic. It killed her. Since then I really watch what I drink

I will not let anyone infer that I'm a drunk.

Somebody did it last month and I got mad and called him a dickhead. I got banned

So, no. If anyone infers I'm a drunk, I won't calm down

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Yorick...Really sorry for you bud but take a few steps back and let it slip by.
You dont need to let this get to you at all. It has gone on and on and unfortunately it has taken the wrong track and there is no need for it. Fair play to you for sticking by your beliefs and rules..
Let us get it back on track and move on...
Kev

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,
First post here.
I have Autotrail Cheyenne 696 2006 - Ducato 28 JTD.
My Dipstick won't come out?! Now, please stop laughing and give us a hand here.
1. Have tried everything Interweb has suggested - no Joy
2. It comes out about 10 inches and then jams
3. Can anyone trace a Parts Diagram that shows Dipstick and Case Part numbers / Where to Order?
Help much appreciated

We have an Adria Coral 680SL, Fiat Ducato 2.3 and this happened to us. Apparently the dipstick is extremely long, our mechanic had to order a new one from Italy. Can’t give you any more info than that I’m afraid.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
It's never the 'Computer' that pity's it all up it's the USER! Believe me I know - I do 'fix it' for a living!

Yes, it is generally the chair/computer interface as we call it (or wetware).

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Hi All,
I had a DREAM last night about my Dipstick Problem! Really Sad I know.
But in it I had a Eureka Moment!
Sadly, I have a Borescope (Endoscope for non-human internal use!) in my garage - I forgot about - I used it to trace wires in a Chassis a few years back.
So, the idea is I stick me Borescope down the sheath and get a view of what is sticking me Dipstick...
Not sure if this forum will tke a Youtube Video of this exciting event Thursday, but I'll give it a whirl. Just drained the oil for Sump removal so I can stick Borescope up both ends.
More Thursday.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Hi All,
Sadly, I have a Borescope (Endoscope for non-human internal use!) in my garage - I forgot about - I used it to trace wires in a Chassis a few years back.
So, the idea is I stick me Borescope down the sheath and get a view of what is sticking me Dipstick...
Not sure if this forum will tke a Youtube Video of this exciting event Thursday, but I'll give it a whirl. Just drained the oil for Sump removal so I can stick Borescope up both ends.
More Thursday.
This is getting too exciting now, Game of Thrones is not in the same league as the saga of the sticking dip stick, can’t wait for the next episode, this time with pictures...it’s all too much.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I would guess looking at sump end of dipstick will help once sump off (y)
Like Zain Pops there are dozens of us waiting with bated breath :dance2:

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Well, I found a Dipstick on Ebay.
Seems there is a LUG halfway down:

Has anyone else gor a Ducato 28 JTD 2006 Engine and can look at their Dipstick and post photo?
Thanks in anticipation of the deluge of dipstick photos!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Hi All,
More Thursday.

Is there going to be sound as welll. Pretty please.?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Oh bugger ...the plot is getting worse! Stop looking at stuff and get the bugger out!
Please...cut off the 'T" handle and pull through the bottom. It will put us all out of our misery!
You are looking so ...so ...terribly deep here!
Where are you?
Pay my taxi fare and I will personally get the bugger out! Trust me!

Kev

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Theres isn't a dent or kink in the dipstick tube is there roughly 11inchs up from the sump by any chance.
Hi Paul n Kate,
Well this is what I thought originally, but 11 inches up I just cannot see without taking a lot of bits off the engine. However now I have my Borescope up and running I am going to probe all over and see what is what!!

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Oh bugger ...the plot is getting worse! Stop looking at stuff and get the bugger out!
Please...cut off the 'T" handle and pull through the bottom. It will put us all out of our misery!
You are looking so ...so ...terribly deep here!
Where are you?
Pay my taxi fare and I will personally get the bugger out! Trust me!

Kev
Kev,
That may be the plan but there is a problem now. From the Photo the LUG in the middle of the dipstick looks too LARGE to come through the hole at the bottom.
So if I just cut it off and it doesn't come through, I have a loose Dipstick wandering around my SUMP. I'll then have to cut it at SUMP end.
I'll then HAVE to get a new sheath to get the middle bit out.
Think I'll try plan A tomorrow and see what's what.
The odd thing is I have rebuilt over a dozen engines from scratch and refurbed many more and never had this issue!!

Hope the thread issues calm down as I was never offended by 'THAT' post - all 'tongue n Cheek' to me.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Whooooah! You have built engines in the past? Come on now........You must Know that that the Dipstick is a push in fit?
Please tell me that you know that? Please????
I am sinking fast!
My boots are beginning to fill up with stuff I dare not think of!

Seriously ...just for one moment...let us rewind a little.... A dipstick is a piece of wire possibly wound around itself to give it strength. At the bottom of it is a small piece that will have stamped on it...Hi and Low? Now...The said stick is meant and designed to pass through the tube into the sump and sit in the oil below. Thus giving a "level" of where the oil should be at the desired time of check that is of course. Now...My issue is this...The stick is let's say..4 mm in diameter.
The tube is 8mm in diameter...leaving us with a gap of 4mm all round yes? Now even if the stick has got a "Strengthening....wiggle" in the middle.... It will be loose of fit. Yes?
Now If the tube has been buggered at some time...(This we will never know because you have not showed the photos of said tube) then it can only be the reason for it not coming out!
I will not attack your ability of engine rebuilds. However....I am really struggling with whether or not you have actually rebuilt a full engine and not just top and tailed one?
There is a difference honestly.
Please please and once more....Please...Tell me where you are and let me rip it out once and for all!
I am like others on here, struggling to tread water! I honestly thought I knew how to build an engine having spent most of my life with Caterpillar? I am now starting to think that I actually did not go there and spent 25 years counting grass cuttings!

KEV

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Whooooah! You have built engines in the past? Come on now........You must Know that that the Dipstick is a push in fit?
I am sinking fast!

Seriously ...just for one moment...let us rewind a little.... A dipstick is a piece of wire possibly wound around itself to give it strength. At the bottom of it is a small piece that will have stamped on it...Hi and Low? Now...The said stick is meant and designed to pass through the tube into the sump and sit in the oil below. Thus giving a "level" of where the oil should be at the desired time of check that is of course. Now...My issue is this...The stick is let's say..4 mm in diameter.
The tube is 8mm in diameter...leaving us with a gap of 4mm all round yes? Now even if the stick has got a "Strengthening....wiggle" in the middle.... It will be loose of fit. Yes?
Now If the tube has been buggered at some time...(This we will never know because you have not showed the photos of said tube) then it can only be the reason for it not coming out!
I will not attack your ability of engine rebuilds. However....I am really struggling with whether or not you have actually rebuilt a full engine and not just top and tailed one?
Please please and once more....Please...Tell me where you are and let me rip it out once and for all!
I am like others on here, struggling to tread water! I honestly thought I knew how to build an engine having spent most of my life with Caterpillar? I am now starting to think that I actually did not go there and spent 25 years counting grass cuttings!

KEV
Guess, we'll find out Thursday!

OP
OP
Calamaster

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
I am sinking fast!

KEV
Hi Kev,
Just to clarify some of your 'thoughts':
1. Of Course a Dipstick is 'Push fit'. Please refer to previous and oiginal posts
2. Dipstick desing differs considerably across manufacturer and engine design. Please google it if you are unsure
3. The tube is NOT 8mm it's 12mm. The fit is loose as previously stated.
4. I cannot see for certain any 'crushing' of tube - that's hwy borescope comes in - as previously stated.
5. I have 'REALLY' built many engines, and have never had this issue and nor have my Garage / Petrol Head Engine Builders / or Fiat Commercial 'Chat'. The ONLY reason I posted this thread is because it is so rare. If I knew how to fix it I would have done so and not bothered to POST / JOIN this forum - get it?
6. I am 'Struggling' with the attitude of this forum, especially as a newbie. I can take a bit of 'tongue & Cheek', but feel personal attacks on my abilities as a mechanic some what sore.

I may just fix this myself and not bother to post again, considering this sort of post from you.
Some much for MOTORHOME 'FUN' FORUM - more like MOTORHOME DIG!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back