Cmc fees šŸ˜± (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
They used to be a hell of a lot cheaper than they are now! Baltic Wharf in Bristol next week is Ā£38.60 a night for 2 people - high season is over Ā£52 a night. Theyā€™re pricing themselves out of the market.
Bristol City Council will assist with that by fining >3.5t non-compliant vehicles to get there.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Parsonage Farm CL in nearby Long Ashton is the best alternative. You could walk into Bristol via Cumberland Basin, but itā€™s a bit of a hike. However, regular bus into Bristol and option to use nearby Park & Ride during the day. Nearby pubs (x2) is a bonus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thatā€™s before we get into the mile after mile of 20mph limits imposed miles outside villages & towns, this is the country where they spent a decade and billions of pounds to make the Heads of the Valley road safer then decided it was too dangerous and imposed a 50 mph speed limit, now they want to ban greyhound racing, beautiful country, brilliant people, just over the border for me but we just donā€™t go any more except on business.
I'm with them on the Greyhound racing ban - a foul "sport"

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I commute from Edinburgh to Canary Wharf on a weekly basis for work, mostly staying in hotels but 2 or 3 times a year bring the van down for a couple of weeks.

Over the past year,

Hotels have gone up from Ā£120 to Ā£145 on average, so up 20%, room only.

At Abbey Wood CAMC site a fully serviced pitch for next week is Ā£28.50 a night, last year, same weeks it was Ā£24.50 a night, so up 17%.

So while site costs are undoubtedly up, from my own experience itā€™s in the same range as other accommodation.

Just my experience of course, others will have different views!!

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Had a few mention the "dynamic" fees and the horrid booking system while at Castleton over the weekend. We've booked for Henley in 2 weeks bit steep pricing I think but Mrs Sg want's to visit her childhood area so I'm paying up. Booked a CL at Ā£20 with hook up +2 with showers and loos for the first week in July as well as a 2 day on a club site while away. CAMC booking system is an ordeal and we like to map search, tried that and you just get a bunch of price tags over locations...so off putting....but I find if you go through the map search on SearchForSites then click the linky you can get through to the booking site page right away, saves you losing time you are never going to get back trying to get where you want.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I commute from Edinburgh to Canary Wharf on a weekly basis for work, mostly staying in hotels but 2 or 3 times a year bring the van down for a couple of weeks.

Over the past year,

Hotels have gone up from Ā£120 to Ā£145 on average, so up 20%, room only.

At Abbey Wood CAMC site a fully serviced pitch for next week is Ā£28.50 a night, last year, same weeks it was Ā£24.50 a night, so up 17%.

So while site costs are undoubtedly up, from my own experience itā€™s in the same range as other accommodation.

Just my experience of course, others will have different views!!
I think that CAMC are watching Hotel costs and pitching their prices accordingly, and I think dynamic pricing is a mercenary method, totally unfair to those on a tight budget.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I think that CAMC are watching Hotel costs and pitching their prices accordingly, and I think dynamic pricing is a mercenary method, totally unfair to those on a tight budget.
Just a further example of a organisation thatā€™s forgotten that first & foremost itā€™s a club and not a commercial enterprise.

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
I agree the big clubs are pushing fully serviced pitches but how about doing as I and a few friends have done and contact the clubs and ask why they are pushing/building fully serviced pitches with no option of not having EHU, the replies back have been along the line of "that's what people want"..maybe if enough people complain they may just get the hint!!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just a further example of a organisation thatā€™s forgotten that first & foremost itā€™s a club and not a commercial enterprise.
Being a club doesnā€™t stop it from being a commercial enterprise. However this particular club has members who have voting rights, so perhaps we have to blame the members if it has become too commercial.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Being a club doesnā€™t stop it from being a commercial enterprise. However this particular club has members who have voting rights, so perhaps we have to blame the members if it has become too commercial.
I was describing its apparent priorities 1) commercial enterprise; 2) club. Iā€™d prefer it the other way around. As for member participation, in 10 yrs Iā€™ve never been offered the opportunity to vote on their business strategy or canvassed on my views about any aspect of the Club. Beyond that, Iā€™ve got better things to do.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
now they want to ban greyhound racing
Good
I'm with them on the Greyhound racing ban - a foul "sport"
Agreed, I do the website for a greyhound rescue charity and I think we would all be ecstatic if there wasn't a need .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just arrived at Castleton CMC expecting it to be full. WELL I've never seen it do EMPTY whether that's because of fees etc... or the weather, or it's Sunday.

Normally they are queuing at the gatešŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
Generally, we look to arrive at a C&MC site on a Sunday as there's a larger choice of pitches available as a lot of folk seem to leave on a Sunday, possibly, for work the next day.:unsure:
Travelling on a Sunday tends to be a bit quieter as well.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just arrived at Castleton CMC expecting it to be full. WELL I've never seen it do EMPTY whether that's because of fees etc... or the weather, or it's Sunday.

Normally they are queuing at the gatešŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
I was looking at Castleton recently, planning to visit a cousin who lives nearby in Bradwell - weā€™ve used it as a brief stopover for quite a few years betwixt Scotland & Cornwall. This year although website said something like ā€˜from Ā£31 per nightā€™, the reality was Ā£46. Way too much for a quick overnighter, but their loss.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I was looking at Castleton recently, planning to visit a cousin who lives nearby in Bradwell - weā€™ve used it as a brief stopover for quite a few years betwixt Scotland & Cornwall. This year although website said something like ā€˜from Ā£31 per nightā€™, the reality was Ā£46. Way too much for a quick overnighter, but their loss.
Yep, we paid around Ā£46pn but we use it because my wife comes from Bradwell and family still live there.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Generally, we look to arrive at a C&MC site on a Sunday as there's a larger choice of pitches available as a lot of folk seem to leave on a Sunday, possibly, for work the next day.:unsure:
Travelling on a Sunday tends to be a bit quieter as well.
True but it is also holiday season, when we arrived you could almost have any pitch you wantšŸ˜

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Amazing really - even Rowntree Park in York is showing good availability outside weekends in August. No wonder CMC send out emails stressing that deposit is more refundable!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
True, but is Castleton a "with kids" destination?:unsure:
wouldnā€™t have thought so unless they are in to walking up Mam Tor and over to edale and back.

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
50 quid less vat at 20%, less business tax at the current rate less the leccyy charge at 6-8 quid pn, 3 or 4 staff to cut the grass clean the loos and operate reception and it starts to seem a bit more reasonable, we stayed at a private site in eastbourne just up the road at 30 quid and the sites were like chalk and cheese, . . As others say the chouce is yours.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Edinburgh site had vacancies during the Hogmanay period, which in previous years would have been unheard of. The cost during this period for 2 people in an awning pitch would have been Ā£48 a night. The site is now closed which is a first, it used to be open all year.
The club has seriously lost its way. What concerns me the most is that both the CMC and the CCC are viewed by the authorities and government as the voice of the camping community and subject matter experts, in my opinion this could not be further from the truth. They have no idea how people wish to ā€œcampā€ in the U.K.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
50 quid less vat at 20%, less business tax at the current rate less the leccyy charge at 6-8 quid pn, 3 or 4 staff to cut the grass clean the loos and operate reception and it starts to seem a bit more reasonable, we stayed at a private site in eastbourne just up the road at 30 quid and the sites were like chalk and cheese, . . As others say the chouce is yours.
Business tax? Only pay that on Profit so you cannot factor that in as a % of the site cost, itā€™s possibly one reason why they keep spending on lodges and clamping pods, to reduce profit, potentially increase turnover from a different user demographic and increase overall site values for possible sale in the future.
There are a number of companies who will pay top dollar for camping sites with a variety of users. They will come in stick a bar, cafe and a play park and ā€™kerchingā€˜ income from pitches is then supplemented. šŸ„“šŸ„“

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Edinburgh site had vacancies during the Hogmanay period, which in previous years would have been unheard of. The cost during this period for 2 people in an awning pitch would have been Ā£48 a night. The site is now closed which is a first, it used to be open all year.
The club has seriously lost its way. What concerns me the most is that both the CMC and the CCC are viewed by the authorities and government as the voice of the camping community and subject matter experts, in my opinion this could not be further from the truth. They have no idea how people wish to ā€œcampā€ in the U.K.
Think Edinburgh is closed for a full refurb, new facilities blocks, new Motorhome points etc, partially reopening in March but not fully till August.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back