Catalytic converter theft

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ebo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ebo

ebo Read Only Funster

Hi all, This is my first post so bear with me. I have recently suffered the second theft of a catalytic converter from my motorhome ( Fiat X250 based ) in just over a year, the first was whilst it was in so called secure storage along with fourteen others in one night, on that occasion the whole thing was unbolted and removed, and again within the last month whilst parked on my drive outside my house, this time the catalytic converter was unbolted from the downpipe (just three nuts) and then cut along the pipe by using a chain cutter, in a similar way a plumber would cut a length of pipe, needless to say it doesn't make any noise, which is probably why I didn't hear anything even though I was sleeping no more than five feet away in a downstairs bedroom.
    Has anybody got any idea how to prevent this happening, I've looked at the Catclamp and Catlok on the internet, but they are just cables that could be bolt cropped, the Police unofficially suggested wiring it up to the mains!!! as much as I'd like to its not really an option.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. aba

aba

unfortunately i don't think there is a solution other than to remove it and put on just for the MOT then remove it again.
    i suppose if they crawl under the van and see just a straight bit of pipe where the cat should be then they will move on to the next target.

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

4. ebo

ebo Read Only Funster

Does that not effect the running of the engine.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You'd have to have a straight through pipe made to replace it which I imagine is illegal

6. aba

aba

to be perfectly honest you would probably get an increase in power and a reduction in fuel consumption as the engine will breath better.

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I can't give any details as yet but one of my suppliers told me only today that they are working on a solution to cat thefts, watch this space as they say.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Before we came away , the yard where we store our van was broken into had the same problem, the only reason they didnt get our catalytic converter was the bolts had rusted on and they wanted to get in and out without problems as such as ours, now the owner has had to wrap razor wire around the catalytic converter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aba

aba

i must admit if i found one of these thieves under my van i would make sure they didn't come out from under the wheels.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I think at the moment, the only real answers are to remove as mentioned elsewhere, or actually have a big plate attached to the underside of the van so the cat is between the floor and the plate

11. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I wonder for those who drive straight into their parking position if it might be possible to build up the ground on the two sides and one end of the van, maybe with a low wall, making it difficult or impossible to get underneath.

12. aba

aba

you mean like parking on a speed hump with wheels either side:thumb::thumb::thumb:

13. icantremember

icantremember Funster

...................or park over a deep snake pit with spikes :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Might work, what I was thinking of would be more like parking between two or better still building a low wall either side of the van so it was still possible to open the doors but not get underneath. In most cases I would think it would be less than a foot high.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i agree.......the chances of being roadside tested are far less than getting it stolen.

you will need to have fabricated a section of correct bore and shape pipe to replace it.

we managed for a long time without them, 'til the 'save the planet' anorak's decided we need them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Sadly I think the only measure which will stop the metal thieves is summary execution!

Might be an idea for one of those Government e-petitions!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

18. ppsontour

ppsontour

I have fitted an Armacat onto my van this morning as there seems to be an increase of thefts in our area.

19. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Unless you can order an airstrike on the two nearest Itinerant sites, take the bleddy thing off, fit a replacement pipe, and do a swap back when you do the checks for MOT time. The cost of the replacement pipe will be offset by the new life of a hardly used cat, weve been removing the centre boxes and cats of landrovers for ages, no-one been nicked so far to my knowledge, and your engine, as said, wont be breathing in its own farts.

• Like Like x 2
  20. aba

aba

i think theres a lot of insider information going on with this.
    there seems to be a new product appear in the area just after a spate of thefts.

a bit like the thinking that the people that write anti-virus software actually send out the virus first.