ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, This is my first post so bear with me. I have recently suffered the second theft of a catalytic converter from my motorhome ( Fiat X250 based ) in just over a year, the first was whilst it was in so called secure storage along with fourteen others in one night, on that occasion the whole thing was unbolted and removed, and again within the last month whilst parked on my drive outside my house, this time the catalytic converter was unbolted from the downpipe (just three nuts) and then cut along the pipe by using a chain cutter, in a similar way a plumber would cut a length of pipe, needless to say it doesn't make any noise, which is probably why I didn't hear anything even though I was sleeping no more than five feet away in a downstairs bedroom.
Has anybody got any idea how to prevent this happening, I've looked at the Catclamp and Catlok on the internet, but they are just cables that could be bolt cropped, the Police unofficially suggested wiring it up to the mains!!! as much as I'd like to its not really an option.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
unfortunately i don't think there is a solution other than to remove it and put on just for the MOT then remove it again.
i suppose if they crawl under the van and see just a straight bit of pipe where the cat should be then they will move on to the next target.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The theory is that its more effort than it is worth
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ebo

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
unfortunately i don't think there is a solution other than to remove it and put on just for the MOT then remove it again.
i suppose if they crawl under the van and see just a straight bit of pipe where the cat should be then they will move on to the next target.

Does that not effect the running of the engine.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Does that not effect the running of the engine.

to be perfectly honest you would probably get an increase in power and a reduction in fuel consumption as the engine will breath better.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I can't give any details as yet but one of my suppliers told me only today that they are working on a solution to cat thefts, watch this space as they say.

D.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all, This is my first post so bear with me. I have recently suffered the second theft of a catalytic converter from my motorhome ( Fiat X250 based ) in just over a year, the first was whilst it was in so called secure storage along with fourteen others in one night, on that occasion the whole thing was unbolted and removed, and again within the last month whilst parked on my drive outside my house, this time the catalytic converter was unbolted from the downpipe (just three nuts) and then cut along the pipe by using a chain cutter, in a similar way a plumber would cut a length of pipe, needless to say it doesn't make any noise, which is probably why I didn't hear anything even though I was sleeping no more than five feet away in a downstairs bedroom.
Has anybody got any idea how to prevent this happening, I've looked at the Catclamp and Catlok on the internet, but they are just cables that could be bolt cropped, the Police unofficially suggested wiring it up to the mains!!! as much as I'd like to its not really an option.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Before we came away , the yard where we store our van was broken into had the same problem, the only reason they didnt get our catalytic converter was the bolts had rusted on and they wanted to get in and out without problems as such as ours, now the owner has had to wrap razor wire around the catalytic converter.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i must admit if i found one of these thieves under my van i would make sure they didn't come out from under the wheels.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think at the moment, the only real answers are to remove as mentioned elsewhere, or actually have a big plate attached to the underside of the van so the cat is between the floor and the plate

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I wonder for those who drive straight into their parking position if it might be possible to build up the ground on the two sides and one end of the van, maybe with a low wall, making it difficult or impossible to get underneath.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I wonder for those who drive straight into their parking position if it might be possible to build up the ground on the two sides and one end of the van, maybe with a low wall, making it difficult or impossible to get underneath.

you mean like parking on a speed hump with wheels either side:thumb::thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

...................or park over a deep snake pit with spikes :thumb:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
you mean like parking on a speed hump with wheels either side:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Might work, what I was thinking of would be more like parking between two or better still building a low wall either side of the van so it was still possible to open the doors but not get underneath. In most cases I would think it would be less than a foot high.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree.......the chances of being roadside tested are far less than getting it stolen.

you will need to have fabricated a section of correct bore and shape pipe to replace it.

we managed for a long time without them, 'til the 'save the planet' anorak's decided we need them.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sadly I think the only measure which will stop the metal thieves is summary execution!

Might be an idea for one of those Government e-petitions!::bigsmile:

ppsontour

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
north kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I have fitted an Armacat onto my van this morning as there seems to be an increase of thefts in our area.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Unless you can order an airstrike on the two nearest Itinerant sites, take the bleddy thing off, fit a replacement pipe, and do a swap back when you do the checks for MOT time. The cost of the replacement pipe will be offset by the new life of a hardly used cat, weve been removing the centre boxes and cats of landrovers for ages, no-one been nicked so far to my knowledge, and your engine, as said, wont be breathing in its own farts.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think theres a lot of insider information going on with this.
there seems to be a new product appear in the area just after a spate of thefts.

a bit like the thinking that the people that write anti-virus software actually send out the virus first.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I like the idea of bolting a metal plate to the chassis so the cat converter/particulate filter is in between:thumb: Catlock dont make anything to fit round our particulate filter.

tommy_transit

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
north east
Funster No
MH
renault trafic
Exp
im a newbie
if your vehicle is diesel the cat does not get tested for your mot, its only a smoke density test done with a smoke meter, so if yours runs ok without it then leave it off, petrol ones do have a cat test so put it back on for your mot, :thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
fully agree with tommy transit
:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

the dedcat pipe looks like this

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
any new ideas on cat theft?
we had ours taken from our car on friday.we are looking at the catlok and i wondered about alarms that detect motion nearby or have a tilt sensor?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Another solution I have seen is to have a raised area... In this case the guy made a large wooden platform that his wheels went either side of.. It left the ground clearance under his small van negligible..
Quite clever I thought.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
to be perfectly honest you would probably get an increase in power and a reduction in fuel consumption as the engine will breath better.
Aba,due to an injury my year 2000 Chausson Welcome sat in the yard for a year.It ran fine on the last trip before layup.
When it was due a CT,2 year MOT in France it ran so rough.I tried an Italian tune up,flat out everywhere but no good.
My local French dealer towed it to the garage and said I needed a new cat,€1200:cry:
I looked at the fiche with him and it was on the cusp of the first Cat models,€1200 for the cat,€120 for the straight pipe.
I said fit the pipe,ran it for an hour before test and it passed with low emissions, cheap fix,leave it off and take a chance.Good luck.:thumb:
Goes better than ever and 200kms per tank more economic!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get a local fabricator to make a shaped guard plate that bolts over the cat. just make sure you leave room round it to prevent vibration and heat buildup

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
When I can I will have my cat removed and have a straight pipe, will still be ok for the mot with the straight pipe as I have checked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back