ask mid

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by ianandkath, Dec 13, 2015.

1. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

looks like another tax payers money rip off scheme. i thought all your insurance details were held by the dvla(another govt rip off)
    got a letter off askmid saying that i am being fined for no insurance(paid it in full in august)
    checked with insurance co and its insured.
    looks like the left hand dont know what the right hands doing. why didnt they just have 1 dept to sort it all out and save our money. moan over with.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds like your insurance company failed to submit the legally required registration to the mid database. happens more often than you might think

3. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

thanks @TheBig1 , rang the insurance co, they explained it was a clerical error and will not put it right. also fine will be paid by them if i still have to pay

• Like Like x 2
  4. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I would call the insurance company again and insist that they do put it right immediately. If you are stopped by the police and cannot prove valid insurance, they could impound the vehicle immediately and start racking up storage charges until it is proven. As you pass ANPR cameras, no insurance will be flagged up to any nearby police vehicles.

5. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

insurance certificate is carried in the rv , all police have to do is ring them and it will be sorted. as above, insurance now say they will resubmit details again, they did it in august too, but still did same error

6. Ranger

Ranger Funster

I thought any "fine" for no insurance carried 6 points as well.

7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Believe that is when caught driving without insurance.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why?

askmid is run by the Motor Insurers' Bureau, a private company. It maintains the database using information submitted by insurance companies, also private companies.

Public sector organisations (DVLA and Police) are able to use the database to enforce motor insurance law rather than having to create and maintain a database at a cost to taxpayers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lunarman

lunarman Funster

If this is the case how can a private company write to the op saying he is being fined? Something doesn't seem right to me.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes. One has to wonder (given the full content of the OP) whether it was a "fine" or simply a reminder/warning that lack of insurance can lead to a fine :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

not the askmid people, its not like having no insurance, its because your reg number is not on the database, even if you are insured.
    my son sold his motorbike and got a £100 fine for not having it insured on the database, he didnt even own the bike, thats why i say its a ripoff company. and he did tell them he had sold it, but they said it wasnt insured and he failed to reply to there letter

12. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

@GJH , it is a reminder letter, says i need to take action to prevent a fine. the thing is , its the insurance companys fault , they sent them the wrong reg number , twice i may add.
    now they are resending the right number, i hope,and told me if i get fined that they will pay it as its there fault.
    hope that explains it better

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

But are they going to take the 6 penalty points as well if you are flagged on an NPR camera before they get it sorted.
    Camera will show the van was on the road without insurance (technically)

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks for the clarification.

What we have, then, is the MIB (through its askmid service) identifying a possible failure to insure a vehicle and sending out a letter to give the vehicle owner a chance to sort it out. A responsible action to take I should have thought :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

So the thread should have been titled .. "incompetent insurance company"

• Like Like x 4
  16. Cavs

Cavs Funster

It has been interesting to see the development of the MID since I took part in the first discussion between the Motor Insurers' Bureau and the Police IT Organisation to assess the viability of the idea. At the time (1997-ish) the intention was first, to share information between the insurance companies, and second, to remove inconvenience from drivers by being able to verify quickly that they had insurance, thus removing the need to issue 'producers' and have the driver go to a police station. It was agreed that, initially, no-one would be prosecuted on the basis of the MID entry (or lack to it) because the whole process would be too unreliable. If insurance could not be verified by the MID a 'producer' would be issued.

Obviously, things move on, especially computer and communications technology. It is now possible to check insurance, MOT and RFL almost instantly and prosecutions can follow on the basis of the MID alone. However, an insurance certificate is still valid and should overrule the MID in cases such as the OP's, especially where errors by an insurance company be shown. I believe there are sanctions within the insurance industry for not keeping the MID up to date.

• Like Like x 3
  17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I know of no police service in the UK that prosecutes on ask mid anpr results only.
    That's why there's a police liason line.
    DVLA ... that's another matter ... but I am sure they send out warning letters before taking action though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

thank you all for your comments, looks like i will no now get 6 points , as when ive checked it now says i AM insured

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume that this only comes into play if you are using the vehicle on the road ... AFAIK there is no requirement for a vehicle that is kept off road to be insured, just SORNed.

If the letter was a 'fine' then this implies that it has been caught on camera being used on the road uninsured but I would have thought if this was the case there would be more consequences than a 'failure to insure' letter and fine from MID!

I therefore assume it was a warning that NOT to insure would incur a fine ... ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

@MinxyGirl it was a mistake by the insureance, they put the wrong reg number on the mid site, all sorted and was insured at all times. yes, the letter was to tell me to take action or risk a fine