Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
looks like another tax payers money rip off scheme. i thought all your insurance details were held by the dvla(another govt rip off)
got a letter off askmid saying that i am being fined for no insurance(paid it in full in august)
checked with insurance co and its insured.
looks like the left hand dont know what the right hands doing. why didnt they just have 1 dept to sort it all out and save our money. moan over with.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like your insurance company failed to submit the legally required registration to the mid database. happens more often than you might think

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
thanks @TheBig1 , rang the insurance co, they explained it was a clerical error and will not put it right. also fine will be paid by them if i still have to pay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I would call the insurance company again and insist that they do put it right immediately. If you are stopped by the police and cannot prove valid insurance, they could impound the vehicle immediately and start racking up storage charges until it is proven. As you pass ANPR cameras, no insurance will be flagged up to any nearby police vehicles.

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
I would call the insurance company again and insist that they do put it right immediately. If you are stopped by the police and cannot prove valid insurance, they could impound the vehicle immediately and start racking up storage charges until it is proven. As you pass ANPR cameras, no insurance will be flagged up to any nearby police vehicles.
insurance certificate is carried in the rv , all police have to do is ring them and it will be sorted. as above, insurance now say they will resubmit details again, they did it in august too, but still did same error

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I thought any "fine" for no insurance carried 6 points as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
looks like another tax payers money rip off scheme.
Why?

askmid is run by the Motor Insurers' Bureau, a private company. It maintains the database using information submitted by insurance companies, also private companies.

Public sector organisations (DVLA and Police) are able to use the database to enforce motor insurance law rather than having to create and maintain a database at a cost to taxpayers.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Why?

askmid is run by the Motor Insurers' Bureau, a private company. It maintains the database using information submitted by insurance companies, also private companies.

If this is the case how can a private company write to the op saying he is being fined? Something doesn't seem right to me.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If this is the case how can a private company write to the op saying he is being fined? Something doesn't seem right to me.
Yes. One has to wonder (given the full content of the OP) whether it was a "fine" or simply a reminder/warning that lack of insurance can lead to a fine :)

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
I thought any "fine" for no insurance carried 6 points as well.
not the askmid people, its not like having no insurance, its because your reg number is not on the database, even if you are insured.
my son sold his motorbike and got a £100 fine for not having it insured on the database, he didnt even own the bike, thats why i say its a ripoff company. and he did tell them he had sold it, but they said it wasnt insured and he failed to reply to there letter

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
@GJH , it is a reminder letter, says i need to take action to prevent a fine. the thing is , its the insurance companys fault , they sent them the wrong reg number , twice i may add.
now they are resending the right number, i hope,and told me if i get fined that they will pay it as its there fault.
hope that explains it better

Reactions: CWH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH , it is a reminder letter, says i need to take action to prevent a fine. the thing is , its the insurance companys fault , they sent them the wrong reg number , twice i may add.
now they are resending the right number, i hope,and told me if i get fined that they will pay it as its there fault.
hope that explains it better
Thanks for the clarification.

What we have, then, is the MIB (through its askmid service) identifying a possible failure to insure a vehicle and sending out a letter to give the vehicle owner a chance to sort it out. A responsible action to take I should have thought :)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
It has been interesting to see the development of the MID since I took part in the first discussion between the Motor Insurers' Bureau and the Police IT Organisation to assess the viability of the idea. At the time (1997-ish) the intention was first, to share information between the insurance companies, and second, to remove inconvenience from drivers by being able to verify quickly that they had insurance, thus removing the need to issue 'producers' and have the driver go to a police station. It was agreed that, initially, no-one would be prosecuted on the basis of the MID entry (or lack to it) because the whole process would be too unreliable. If insurance could not be verified by the MID a 'producer' would be issued.

Obviously, things move on, especially computer and communications technology. It is now possible to check insurance, MOT and RFL almost instantly and prosecutions can follow on the basis of the MID alone. However, an insurance certificate is still valid and should overrule the MID in cases such as the OP's, especially where errors by an insurance company be shown. I believe there are sanctions within the insurance industry for not keeping the MID up to date.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I know of no police service in the UK that prosecutes on ask mid anpr results only.
That's why there's a police liason line.
DVLA ... that's another matter ... but I am sure they send out warning letters before taking action though.

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
thank you all for your comments, looks like i will no now get 6 points , as when ive checked it now says i AM insured

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume that this only comes into play if you are using the vehicle on the road ... AFAIK there is no requirement for a vehicle that is kept off road to be insured, just SORNed.

If the letter was a 'fine' then this implies that it has been caught on camera being used on the road uninsured but I would have thought if this was the case there would be more consequences than a 'failure to insure' letter and fine from MID!

I therefore assume it was a warning that NOT to insure would incur a fine ... ?

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
@MinxyGirl it was a mistake by the insureance, they put the wrong reg number on the mid site, all sorted and was insured at all times. yes, the letter was to tell me to take action or risk a fine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@MinxyGirl it was a mistake by the insureance, they put the wrong reg number on the mid site, all sorted and was insured at all times. yes, the letter was to tell me to take action or risk a fine
Yes I understand the mistake was made by the insurance company, but just wanted to clarify that the original letter was 'advising' that it needed to be insured or risk a nasty fine in the future, not an actual fine as such at that time.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
thanks for the reminder, off to check that i am showing as insured, there was a mix up at renewal last time.

I am insured, well know i am but it is showing on database.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I would have thought that a photocopy of your insurance cert and a covering letter (or can you email them with a scan/photo) would have been the response to make? I know a copy isn't 'legal' only the original, but it would show you've already done your bit?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would have thought that a photocopy of your insurance cert and a covering letter (or can you email them with a scan/photo) would have been the response to make? I know a copy isn't 'legal' only the original, but it would show you've already done your bit?
Even if that were possible, Jenny, I wouldn't take that approach. The insurance company made the mistake and they have to be informed so that they can not only correct it but change their procedures to try to prevent future similar mistakes.
All too often organisations continue to make mistakes and provide poor customer service because we too many people don't like to complain in case they upset the poor dears (crossed out "we" because it doesn't apply to me these days :D).

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I assume that this only comes into play if you are using the vehicle on the road ... AFAIK there is no requirement for a vehicle that is kept off road to be insured, just SORNed.

If the letter was a 'fine' then this implies that it has been caught on camera being used on the road uninsured but I would have thought if this was the case there would be more consequences than a 'failure to insure' letter and fine from MID!

I therefore assume it was a warning that NOT to insure would incur a fine ... ?
I may be wrong but I thought there was now a requirement for "continuous insurance". Meaning that, even if SORNed, the vehicle still needs to be insured.

Someone on the Forum will have an authoritative answer, I am sure.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If it's sorned then it's a statutory off road notification. .. no insurance required by law. .. so long as it's off road.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If it's sorned then it's a statutory off road notification. .. no insurance required by law. .. so long as it's off road.
Having checked on-line I admit to being wrong, something my wife will never do.

(Ducks quickly to avoid the slapping hand suddenly appearing from the left)!:imoutahere:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Graham - I realise it's the insurer's fault and yes of course one would contact them but I rather thought I'd quite like to get whoever's hassling me, off MY back !!

Of course you don't HAVE to insure your vehicle off the road. But there again if someone nicks it, sets fire to it etc whilst it's off the road, SORNED and not insured - you might live to regret not doing it !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
.... and there again if you do insure it, none of these things will happen and so it will indeed be a total waste of dosh.

I fink it's a brill example of Sod's Law, innit?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham - I realise it's the insurer's fault and yes of course one would contact them but I rather thought I'd quite like to get whoever's hassling me, off MY back !!

Of course you don't HAVE to insure your vehicle off the road. But there again if someone nicks it, sets fire to it etc whilst it's off the road, SORNED and not insured - you might live to regret not doing it !
askmid weren't actually hassling anyone though. As @ianandkath has clarified, it was an information/reminder letter and he took the appropriate course of action by contacting his insurance company to sort it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back