DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Askmid have no power to fine anyone, it is just a database run by the insurance industry. As the OP was insured there was never any danger of fines or penalty points, which would have come from a court not askmid.

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
I would have thought that a photocopy of your insurance cert and a covering letter (or can you email them with a scan/photo) would have been the response to make? I know a copy isn't 'legal' only the original, but it would show you've already done your bit?
you cannot send anything to mid, only your insurers can update the database and prove your insured

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Askmid have no power to fine anyone, it is just a database run by the insurance industry. As the OP was insured there was never any danger of fines or penalty points, which would have come from a court not askmid.
wrong, they do have the power to fine you, my son was fined just a few weeks ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
wrong, they do have the power to fine you, my son was fined just a few weeks ago
Askmid don't fine you. DVLA do.
As an example if your car is in trade it can be exempt from insurance. DVLA would be aware of this on their records. It wouldnt be be shown as insured on askmid. No fine would be issued by DVLA.

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
If it's sorned then it's a statutory off road notification. .. no insurance required by law. .. so long as it's off road.
correct @sdc77 but the letter does say that they have to know its sorned. think dvla would tell them when you tell dvla. if you dont tell dvla its sorned then you rick a fine for not telling them(dvla). also when selling a vechile you must tell dvla or you get fined too. hard work if you have misplaced the logbook.dvla do not fine you, your fined by mid,ask my son, he was fined £100 for failing to send part of logbook to dvla when he partex his motorbike. trader did not inform dvla either

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably the letter is like This Example which advises of the law and the consequences on not complying. However, it is not MID (which is simply a database) or MIB (a private company without the necessary powers) which issues fines but the DVLA (as mentioned on the page linked to in the previous post "they will receive a penalty from the DVLA.").

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Thank you, as it says on that link "... a penalty from the DVLA". Askmid can't fine anyone.

No he wasn't, see above. :xsmile:
you are right , i was wrong,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back