Arrived in the Algarve but now Broken Down again (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe on the ignition switch ?
No you won't. Your immobiliser suggestion works on a coil-ignition petrol engine (or did in the past where the coil -ve could be earthed) but not on a Diesel engine where no ignition system exists. "Ignition switch" is a carried-over misnomer from petrol vehicle - on a Diesel all it does is turn on vehicle services and operate the starter motor.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No you won't. Your immobiliser suggestion works on a coil-ignition petrol engine (or did in the past where the coil -ve could be earthed) but not on a Diesel engine where no ignition system exists. "Ignition switch" is a carried-over misnomer from petrol vehicle - on a Diesel all it does is turn on vehicle services and operate the starter motor.
On my Compass (VW T4 base) I think it opens the diesel shut-off valve. :unsure:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

You’re disabling the starter with the switch are you not.

I thought the ignition switch carried a negative to the starter.

Have to admit long time since I’ve done this ?

Edit or just run one on pump relay

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Mine was an earth connection. AA jacked the van up and changed where the earth had been put, no problem with it since. Good luck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You’re disabling the starter with the switch are you not.

I thought the ignition switch carried a negative to the starter.

Have to admit long time since I’ve done this ?

Edit or just run one on pump relay
The starter switch doesn't disable the starter - it simply supplies power to the solenoid when turned to the Start position. That can be done with a length of wire from the battery (or any other) +ve supply. Or with a metallic tool at the starter connections.

The starter switch will probably operate a relay that operates the starter solenoid these days (the starter solenoid draws a pretty hefty current) so it could well send an earth to operate that. The solenoid itself requires +12v to operate AFAIK - I haven't seen one that doesn't. There are two places that could be used to prevent starting: the pump for common rail as has been suggested or the stop solenoid on a pump-timed injector (old school) system. A switch in the fuel safety shut-off power supply would stop the pump on a common-rail.

Interesting this: the failing of any commercially available system is that if it is sufficiently popular and therefore fitted to a good number of high-end vehicles then it is worth thieves learning how to defeat it. Hopefully the design of such systems is kept one step ahead of them. On the other hand a person with the time and knowledge can disable any vehicle he owns using his own methods. Although the principle methods are pretty well known the method of implementation will vary depending on the individual who arranged it. And on modern vehicles there are also a few sensors that can be disconnected to prevent starting as well as fuel supply interruption & starter disablement - crankshaft / camshaft sensors are a couple of obvious candidates. So it is likely that a thief will stick to stuff he knows he can drive away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It was a bugger when they did away with the "Pull to stop" knob on diesels. :LOL:
I was very happy with the pull-to-stop on my Volvo MD1 yacht engine instead of an electrical diesel fuel open/shut valve. The batteries were invariably too discharged to have activated an electrical one, especially arriving at a harbour after a long overnight passage! Luckily it also had a starting handle.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So luckily the Motorhome started this morning for our long 480 mile trip towards the boat. I was a bit anxious but the issue definitely seems to be fixed for now.
when i am back in the uk i will get it looked to see why it has failed and will post when i know more. VanBitz have already been in contact which is over and above considering it was still the holidays.
just glad it is working to be honest as this trip has certainly been challenging. If it were not for the good weather we have had it just would of been so much worse.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
So luckily the Motorhome started this morning for our long 480 mile trip towards the boat. I was a bit anxious but the issue definitely seems to be fixed for now.
when i am back in the uk i will get it looked to see why it has failed and will post when i know more. VanBitz have already been in contact which is over and above considering it was still the holidays.
just glad it is working to be honest as this trip has certainly been challenging. If it were not for the good weather we have had it just would of been so much worse.
Feel your pain, we've just had a very slow underpowered journey back from Lake Titisee in Southern Germany in our 3.0 litre Ducato due to it having gone into limp mode whilst parked up. Could not find a single dealership (on New Years Eve) to try and help us resolve the problem. Eventually got home today after four days of crawling up hills and waving apologetically at passing trucks who were able to climb hills faster than us :wasntme: Glad you got sorted in the end to be able to get home safely.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would be great if you could report back with eddievanbitz findings, especially if it’s nothing to do with the non starter

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Would be great if you could report back with eddievanbitz findings, especially if it’s nothing to do with the non starter
Yes that’s the plan, might take a while though but i will do. Its def the MetaTrak though as it didn’t start till i bypassed it. Just need to know why it happened as if it was enabled it would normally inform me if i tried to start it but of course this didn’t happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Feel your pain, we've just had a very slow underpowered journey back from Lake Titisee in Southern Germany in our 3.0 litre Ducato due to it having gone into limp mode whilst parked up. Could not find a single dealership (on New Years Eve) to try and help us resolve the problem. Eventually got home today after four days of crawling up hills and waving apologetically at passing trucks who were able to climb hills faster than us :wasntme: Glad you got sorted in the end to be able to get home safely.
So sorry to hear that, i hope you manage to sort it though. It seems now no company’s are willing to take walk ins, they all seem to be booked up to the max. One company couldn’t take us till 14 jan which would of cost me thousands in lost earnings staying for that long. My insurance company called me back today or rather the breakdown part of it just to inform me if i ever needed to have my vehicle and car and trailer Taken back to the uk from the algarve that it would cost just under 8k leaving me with a bill of 3k as they only cover up to 5k. Guess who i will be calling when i get back to the uk on Monday. I wonder how many other people think they can be recovered in full with no costs when in Europe. I thought i was covered for sure but of course now i know better and will vs looking for alternative breakdown cover.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Over and above ! That is the least any reputable company can do ?

• Thanks
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If we charged for a 24/7 360 day, anywhere in Europe, for products even when out of warranty service, we would

Otherwise, as a small family business, we do actually close over Christmas
I was surprised to get here from you as i knew you were closed but pleased none the less. Nobody should expect 24/7 365 days a year, we all need a break at some point. The issue for us is that we tend to go away at xmas which means most if not all companies are either closed or closing making it even more difficult to get assistance. Although this is the 1st year we have had to call on help and use the breakdown service not that they did anything anyway aside from raise my blood pressure even more when they hinted i would need to pay.
Another lesson learnt just the hard way.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
It sounds like the Immobilizer, there is a component in the starter motor itself, which can.be tricky,

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It sounds like the Immobilizer, there is a component in the starter motor itself, which can.be tricky,
The issue was the metatrak as it started as soon as i bypassed it. Just need to know how it became faulty now.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
to have my vehicle and car and trailer Taken back to the uk from the algarve that it would cost just under 8k leaving me with a bill of 3k as they only cover up to 5k.
they're using the wrong people then. Transporting most vehicles Uk_spain = £500 each. I can walk in & hire a refrigerated 40' artic for 3k euros one way. The Dutchman who brought my MH back from France , along with 3 new tractors & a iveco van , on a lorry & drag transporter wasn't being paid 3k euros either.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
they're using the wrong people then. Transporting most vehicles Uk_spain = £500 each. I can walk in & hire a refrigerated 40' artic for 3k euros one way. The Dutchman who brought my MH back from France , along with 3 new tractors & a iveco van , on a lorry & drag transporter wasn't being paid 3k euros either.
Couldn’t agree more but it would be out of my hands. It does seem extremely high and one that i need to sort next week once i have recovered.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
It must be a fault somewhere between battery and starter motor. Surely there's a decent auto electrician somewhere along the Algarve, I would have thought local enquiries at garages could find someone with the right noddle.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So took the MH to vanbitz last Friday to get the Metatrak looked at, they confirmed it had lost sync somehow to the main unit and although the app was saying it was not enabled it actually was. They have now replaced the unit and sorted the subscription for the next 2 years so i cannot fault the service. Its going to take a bit of time to trust it again but at least i now have a workaround if it happens again which i can fit quite quickly. I only ever use it at home as mentioned previously so for it to go out of sync for no reason is a mystery. I would say the actual software company that pushes out the updates need a kick up the back side IF they sent something out to make it go awol especially over xmas when they themselves are closed.
Anyway for now it is working and i will be keeping a very close eye on it.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Vanbitz may come across as pricey, but you can’t fault the service at all.
My meta trak failed a while ago, wouldn’t unlock itself.
Phoned Eddie out of hours and although it took a couple of hours, the reason being MT we’re halfway through an update of their systems, he kept me informed and offered to override the system. (I didn’t need to move immediatel).
I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to him if I needed any other work done.
( MT has been faultless since)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Vanbitz may come across as pricey, but you can’t fault the service at all.
My meta trak failed a while ago, wouldn’t unlock itself.
Phoned Eddie out of hours and although it took a couple of hours, the reason being MT we’re halfway through an update of their systems, he kept me informed and offered to override the system. (I didn’t need to move immediatel).
I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to him if I needed any other work done.
( MT has been faultless since)
I would always pay more for better service than less for bad service any day of the week, one of the reasons i chose Vanbitz was because of their reputation, can't fault them.

I Still dont think they (metatrak) should be sending out updates over xmas when nobody in to support.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As Zac said we have replaced the unit, for his peace of mind. The original unit worked correctly once the "system restart" command was sent, allowing the van to start normally but, as stated was replaced anyway, as a gesture of good will even though technically out of warranty and two years free subscription added to the replacement system.

We are working with Meta to send an email and an "in app" message to remind people that it is essential that they know their username and password, to log into their App, which is needed after a software update, and that should there ever be an anomaly, such as in this case (where it the App showed that the system wasn't immobilising the van, when in fact is had immobilised the van after the App update) that either the optional over ride tag can be used or of course the "system restart" would sort everything out

A bit like when your computer or phone doesn't do what you expect and you turn it off and back on again, which is what the system restart does.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would always pay more for better service than less for bad service any day of the week, one of the reasons i chose Vanbitz was because of their reputation, can't fault them.

I Still dont think they (metatrak) should be sending out updates over xmas when nobody in to support.
I agree and have made the point, but doubt that anyone will take any notice, as their argument being that the software update shouldn't cause any issues as everyone should know their username and password, and that if anything untoward should occur sending the system restart message would reset it.

Whilst this is correct, I personally don't find it very customer friendly and have said so, but a lot of technical bods aren't exactly customer friendly, more troglodytes lol

From what I have been told it was the App developers that sent out the update.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I agree and have made the point, but doubt that anyone will take any notice, as their argument being that the software update shouldn't cause any issues as everyone should know their username and password, and that if anything untoward should occur sending the system restart message would reset it.

Whilst this is correct, I personally don't find it very customer friendly and have said so, but a lot of technical bods aren't exactly customer friendly, more troglodytes lol

From what I have been told it was the App developers that sent out the update.
I knew my username and password and i tried sending the disable and enabled within the app but that didn’t work. I wasn’t aware of the reset part but then if they had supported the update when sending it out especially when it can cause the vehicle to lose the ability to start then common sense would normally prevail that they would of stood up support. Or pushed the update after xmas when they were back. I appreciate your assistance as i have said previously, metatrak however leave a lot to be desired for what was a very stressful mistake on their part.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I knew my username and password and i tried sending the disable and enabled within the app but that didn’t work. I wasn’t aware of the reset part but then if they had supported the update when sending it out especially when it can cause the vehicle to lose the ability to start then common sense would normally prevail that they would of stood up support. Or pushed the update after xmas when they were back. I appreciate your assistance as i have said previously, metatrak however leave a lot to be desired for what was a very stressful mistake on their part.
I wholeheartedly agree

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back