Arrived in the Algarve but now Broken Down again (2 Viewers)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Arrived in the algarve last night, moved site today to one in Figueira and stopped the Motorhome and now it won’t start. It has the same symptoms as before when i posted ages ago about nothing on the ignition. The ignition turns and all lights up but no sounds from the starter motor or anything. Just the spring in the barrel returning key to normal position.
called breakdown but they didn’t sound as though they would be fixing it. They are now coming tomorrow morning with a tow truck i think to take to garage.now the trouble is that they are saying i have 3 options.
rent a car
Stay in hotel and have it fixed in Portugal
Or have it returned to the uk

They are also saying that it is between 3k-5k Max to get it back to the uk which i was unaware of and i am then assuming the rest is extra.
How will we get back anyone know it done this before?
Motorhome is a 2017 x290 180bhp comformatic. Rapido 10000DFH. I also have a small car trailer with a smart on so going to be a pretty big truck i would think.

the problem is i need to be back in the uk by the 6 jan for work. The boat is in the 4 jan from santander but that is looking unlikely now. If no work i would just day w fix it but being self employed i will lose a lot of money missing work.
Still at least we had arrived at the site and not on some dodgy motorway somewhere so at least somewhere to stay tonight. Just no idea what will happen tomorrow

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Arrived in the algarve last night, moved site today to one in Figueira and stopped the Motorhome and now it won’t start. It has the same symptoms as before when i posted ages ago about nothing on the ignition. The ignition turns and all lights up but no sounds from the starter motor or anything. Just the spring in the barrel returning key to normal position.
called breakdown but they didn’t sound as though they would be fixing it. They are now coming tomorrow morning with a tow truck i think to take to garage.now the trouble is that they are saying i have 3 options.
rent a car
Stay in hotel and have it fixed in Portugal
Or have it returned to the uk

They are also saying that it is between 3k-5k Max to get it back to the uk which i was unaware of and i am then assuming the rest is extra.
How will we get back anyone know it done this before?
Motorhome is a 2017 x290 180bhp comformatic. Rapido 10000DFH. I also have a small car trailer with a smart on so going to be a pretty big truck i would think.

the problem is i need to be back in the uk by the 6 jan for work. The boat is in the 4 jan from santander but that is looking unlikely now. If no work i would just day w fix it but being self employed i will lose a lot of money missing work.
Still at least we had arrived at the site and not on some dodgy motorway somewhere so at least somewhere to stay tonight. Just no idea what will happen tomorrow

Oh Zac, I can't believe your bad luck. Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to help you.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’m no mechanic/ electrician but to return the van to the UK because of a dodgy connection seems very OTT to me.
It's probably just a loose wire somewhere and you would expect a half competent auto electrician to be able to quickly sort that.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just to discount it get out of the van and turn the alarm and immobiliser on and off a couple of times check to see if the blinkers do what they are supposed to do. :xThumb:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
can you rig up jump leads from your leisure battery to make sure its not a battery fault? the lights might come on but not enough power to turn the engine over? its one step towards diagnosing the problem. lots of advice on the internet if you have good access. go through each suggestion/check one by one - hopefully it will be something simple

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with Clarky . seems a bit OTT for a likely electrical fault. understand that you need accommodation while its fixed.

if you have breakdown cover does it cover nights stay while its fixed?

Ah, i see you have added a timeline to your original post....

one step at a time me thinks.... get a diagnostic assessment tomorrow then you have something to work with. You will then have an idea if its fixable in hours or days or....

you said it happened before .... what was the problem then?

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Sounds like a loose wire. Probably one on the solenoid. Sounds as if getting power to ignition, just not from there to starter, would be easy fix for a garage, I hope you don't have to pay to get it back as you can get it home a lot cheaper than that !

• Informative
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Which Figueira are you at?
Camper contact 72748

Just to discount it get out of the van and turn the alarm and immobiliser on and off a couple of times check to see if the blinkers do what they are supposed to do. :xThumb:
Thanks already tried that.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I agree with Clarky . seems a bit OTT for a likely electrical fault. understand that you need accommodation while its fixed.

if you have breakdown cover does it cover nights stay while its fixed?

Ah, i see you have added a timeline to your original post....

one step at a time me thinks.... get a diagnostic assessment tomorrow then you have something to work with. You will then have an idea if its fixable in hours or days or....

you said it happened before .... what was the problem then?
The last time this happened was when i brought it new and there was quite a large discussion about it. Adams morey couldn’t find the issue but they seen similar before and replaced the starter motor. It started again in march this year so as it was outside warranty i has the starter replaced again but with a bosch one and been OK. This time it’s not starting even after being left for a long time so must be something different.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I’m no mechanic/ electrician but to return the van to the UK because of a dodgy connection seems very OTT to me.
It's probably just a loose wire somewhere and you would expect a half competent auto electrician to be able to quickly sort that.

Richard.
The guy on the phone didn’t seem bothered about fixing it as he was going to send a vehicle large enough to take both Motorhome and trailer. I mentioned about it being looked at before it’s moved to a garage but he said they don’t do that over here.
seems strange but will see what he says tomorrow when they get here.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
wow on 3rd starter motor.... its got to be some connections or other at the starter motor or solenoid.

i see its a 2017 x290 , so it can only be just out of warranty ? how about a phone call to FIAT camper assist.

they may at least be able to help identify the problem quickly.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I would be a little concerned that once they have it at the garage they have free range to say oh this is serious and going to cost you.
I would go with the Fiat camper assist suggestion they can be very helpful.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Simple / silly thing to check BUT take the cover off the engine battery between the front cab seats,,
Check that the connections are on nice and tight.. They now use spring loaded clips..

I bounced around Morocco in 2013, pulled up outside a campsite somewhere in Spain to check for a space. Came back to van and similar to you, some lights on dash but no starter etc... Fastened clip back on and all fine..

Fingers crossed..

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Sounds like it could be an immobiliser problem, either alarm system or comformatic gearbox thinking it's still in gear but not changing. Both would immobilise starter. You could manually energise the starter motor if you know how, and see if it turns over. Pity I'm not nearer, I'd come & had a look for you

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if your headlights dim when you try to turn it over then power is getting to your starter, which then suggests its a starter issue. ( i'm not a mechanic but just trawling through the internet - theres a good you tube video - 3 easy tricks to start a dead car without jumper cables -

• Informative

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Adams morey couldn’t find the issue but they seen similar before and replaced the starter motor.
I'm not surprised, last week took my van (2017 x 290) to them for some diagnostics came the conclusion they are pretty useless.

As your van is 2017 you should be covered by Fiat Camper Assist the warranty is only 2 years but breakdown cover is 3 years (I only found out after I paid for breakdown cover). If you are not using them it may be worth a call as they would get it to a Fiat garage.

Can you get it looked by a local dealer and then transported home if they can't fix it?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not surprised, last week took my van (2017 x 290) to them for some diagnostics came the conclusion they are pretty useless.

As your van is 2017 you should be covered by Fiat Camper Assist the warranty is only 2 years but breakdown cover is 3 years (I only found out after I paid for breakdown cover). If you are not using them it may be worth a call as they would get it to a Fiat garage.

Can you get it looked by a local dealer and then transported home if they can't fix it?

thats was my thinking posted #13

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
1577646168031.png

How it works. The universal multilingual telephone number 00800 3428 1111* for Ducato motorhome owners - even those with older models - in 13 languages and available in 44 countries. Services include: Information (also to callers who are not Ducato customers)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I was suggesting he may be covered by Fiat Camper assist but doesn't realise it.
I didn’t know i was covered by fiat camper assist. Will see what they say in the morning as i can’t cancel them now. I am thinking it is something electrical all lights come on the dash. Just nothing when turning the key not even a click.
I think i might have to send my wife back on the plane and i will wait for it to be sorted if they cannot fix it tomorrow. Don’t know to be honest it just didn’t inspire me with confidence when speaking with them.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am sure Fiat camper assist will help even if you are not covered; by at least advising of a proper fiat garage or talking to the local garage about the possible causes.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would be a little concerned that once they have it at the garage they have free range to say oh this is serious and going to cost you.
What he said. I'd go with the Fiat camper assist suggestion.
+there is now way it should cost 3-5k to transport back to the UK.I can get a 40' artic for 3k to the Uk so a low loading drag transporter just for you & the rest empty would only be that.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Get the mechanic to run a wire to the solenoid and you can pick up 12v terminal under the bonnet ie the jump start connection, touch the wire on and you should hear the solenoid click in.
This is of course after checking battery connection ?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The last time this happened was when i brought it new and there was quite a large discussion about it. Adams morey couldn’t find the issue but they seen similar before and replaced the starter motor. It started again in march this year so as it was outside warranty i has the starter replaced again but with a bosch one and been OK. This time it’s not starting even after being left for a long time so must be something different.

If that sorted it in the past, could be starter solenoid stuck, preventing engaging on the flyweel. A tap on the starter could free it up while second person attempts to crank the engine, in the same time. I've done this few times.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Don't starters come with the solenoid attached these days ? 3 new starters would suggest 3 new solenoids too ? Sounds more like immobiliser fault to me.

• Informative
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do the dash lights go out when you turn the key to 'Start'? If so, chances are it's a bad connection at one of the battery terminals.
Re. the breakdown service - I've found that it's pot luck whether they send a mechanic who may be able to diagnose and fix the problem, or a recovery truck with a driver who has no intention or ability to resolve the issue but merely to take you to a garage.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
checked the battery connections under the seat in the main area and these look nice and tight. The lights don't go dim when trying to start. I am in the hands of the breakdown company now as my knowledge and skills are very limited. I have a trailer as well which fiat camperassist wouldnt support which is why i went with my own breakdown from comfort. Also the last time i called them when i had the same/similar fault at the beginning by the time the mechanic arrived it was starting. He did some checks anyway but said all ok which of course it was not. Pretty much stuck now so just praying they can sort it tomorrow or before we have to leave on Thursday evening or at the very latest Fri morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back