Arrived in the Algarve but now Broken Down again (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Issue is between ignition and starter then.
Sorry for stating the obvious.
Yes Rich that would have shown the starter to be ok straight away leaving the fault to be on the inhibiter side of the electrics.
As for this none start fancy app thing I know nothing much about them, but from memory most alarms I have had dealings with tend to be a pain, but are easily removed with a little knowledge.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Like a good crime novel, I'm waiting on the outcome. I hope you'll post back with the answer when you know it. I hope it's something simple like an earth lead or even immobiliser. We had problems with the latter and the van wouldn't start. Reset it all by disconnecting the battery and leaving it for an hour or so (when I went an wept over all the damage I'd caused by my flogging the van with a stick). Only kidding.
But it did work after that. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So problem found. Even though i checked the app and it said it wasn’t enabled and i enabled and disabled just to make sure it was still preventing the vehicle from starting. Luckily when i went back to get some other work done i got some detailed instructions in how to bypass it. I have now done that and it is starting. It’s the Metatrak system, it must be faulty as i never use it whilst away and of course it’s been working for the last 2 weeks no issues. So i have left a message with vanbitz as now i know what it is it can be sorted upon my return.
thanks for all the assistance on here as usual.
Comfort breakdown were blinking useless, the electrician that came was not part of the breakdown cover but a friend of the campsite owner. So left to comfort i would be leaving this to the 2 jan then i was told to get as far as possible on what fuel i have back towards the boat then to call them again so they can send another person out to start it then they will look for someone local to fix it at that point. What an bunch of useless t*******s.
Still all good now started it multiple times and it’s working.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So problem found. Even though i checked the app and it said it wasn’t enabled and i enabled and disabled just to make sure it was still preventing the vehicle from starting. Luckily when i went back to get some other work done i got some detailed instructions in how to bypass it. I have now done that and it is starting. It’s the Metatrak system, it must be faulty as i never use it whilst away and of course it’s been working for the last 2 weeks no issues. So i have left a message with vanbitz as now i know what it is it can be sorted upon my return.
Comfort breakdown were blinking useless, the electrician that came was not part of the breakdown cover but a friend of the campsite owner. So left to comfort i would be leaving this to the 2 jan then i was told to get as far as possible on what fuel i have back towards the boat then to call them again so they can send another person out to start it then they will look for someone local to fix it at that point. What an bunch of useless t*******s.
Do I qualify as the closest guess ?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Pleased to hear that you are sorted. Brings up the topics regarding security in the Ducato Locks thread that I have been interested in since getting our first MH a few weeks ago. We have gone the route of visual deterrents as opposed to technological ones for the very reasons you have sadly experienced. I am interested to hear other Funsters take on this.
Have a Happy New Year and a safe journey home.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Glad you’re sorted

Jun 30, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
March 16
I think I was closest....after 4 hrs stuck on M11 Friday before Xmas, didn't suspect metatrak non starter because app showed ok , no inputs/ usage by me since picking motorhome up from storage 3 days earlier, had started & stopped previously on same day with no issue.
Recovered home & only reset non starter next morning while waiting for diagnostics/further recovery on a hunch as symptoms suggested immobiliser but no reason why it should have 'set' itself.
Hopefully investigation from Vanbitz & Metatrak can shed some light on reason.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It is such a relief knowing that we can still spend the next few days here rather than worrying about how we are going to get both us and the Motorhome and trailer and car back to the uk. I do not rate the breakdown cover from comfort at all. There suggestion mentioned earlier was ridiculous to say the least. Will definitely be making a call to metatrak and vanbitz when i an back to see why this has happened. And now i see another user with what looks to be the same problem

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
By-passing the connection and going direct to the starter solenoid will also by-pass the immobilising circuitry just as if it wasn't fitted - the same as testing a removed starter on a bench.

(Edited. I've deleted the wrong Quote used in my original reply). :xdoh:

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've found that the tractors working in the field opposite set off our van alarm and the wireless doorbell.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Glad to see it is now working. We had problems with a similar immobiliser on a used van a few years back, so disconnected it completely. I don’t trust cheap Chinese electronics!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am delighted your problem is sorted... now I only hope mine (disappearing engine coolant) will be soon sorted too).

It might be relevant but my Portuguese insurance automatically comes with "breakdown" cover but this is ONLY get you to a location of my choice... it does NOT include any roadside repairs.

JJ :cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like non starter is a non starter, too many leccy gizmos to go wrong :xeek: :xeek:
Glad you’re sorted :xThumb:

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am delighted your problem is sorted... now I only hope mine (disappearing engine coolant) will be soon sorted too).

It might be relevant but my Portuguese insurance automatically comes with "breakdown" cover but this is ONLY get you to a location of my choice... it does NOT include any roadside repairs.

JJ :cool:
The one from comfort will attempt a fix then take you to a garage and if they can’t fix within your time frame Of leaving then they will recover Motorhome and my trailer back to the uk but will only pay between 3k-5k as a max. Any more and i am liable.
the first mechanic said if the electrician can’t sort he would come back and wire a switch in place to bypass it as a tempfix. He was very helpful. The electrician was only here 5 mins and then left as he needed to charge his laptop but kept saying immobiliser. Do with that in mind and a post from Robert earlier i thought it wouldn’t hurt to bypass the metatrak system. Glad i did as that sorted it, the trouble is i have paid for 3 years subscription on it Else i think i would ditch it now (still might)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We've found that the tractors working in the field opposite set off our van alarm and the wireless doorbell.
What was a farmer doing in a field with a wireless door bell in a tractor........:xgrin:

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Same here. It's a bonus to avoid a crim driving my m/h, but not when it prevents me from doing it!
Couldn’t agree more, not sure i will keep now it depends if i can get back the money i just paid to extend the subscription. If i can then it’s likely to be going as not going through this again just not worth it. My blood pressure can’t take it.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Glad to hear the OP is now up and running. The metatrack non-start has not yet been proven as the main cause of the problem - the jury is still out on that one, until feedback is received once the OP has returned home. I prefer to keep an open mind but tend towards concurring with the majority view.

MH security is a compromise between absolute security and acceptable useability whilst visiting remote areas. I once had a simple electronic non-start system but had it removed prior to visiting Morocco. I wouldn't have known how to disable it....if it had caused problems (no app in those days).

MH's in my view should be like overland vehicles....keep it simple, KISS !!!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sure I've read similar problems on here with Metatrack when parked near pylons or hospitals or something?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Glad to hear the OP is now up and running. The metatrack non-start has not yet been proven as the main cause of the problem - the jury is still out on that one, until feedback is received once the OP has returned home. I prefer to keep an open mind but tend towards concurring with the majority view.

MH security is a compromise between absolute security and acceptable useability whilst visiting remote areas. I once had a simple electronic non-start system but had it removed prior to visiting Morocco. I wouldn't have known how to disable it....if it had caused problems (no app in those days).

MH's in my view should be like overland vehicles....keep it simple, KISS !!!
No doubt in my mind that the metatrak system is the cause else it wouldn’t work when bypassed. Why it has gone wrong is another matter but it’s definitely the cause

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
What a shame it’s fixed......you have no excuse not to return to the cold and damp and wet and expensive beer country now?

im staying here???
I wouldn’t hesitate to stay if i didn’t have to work. Unfortunately i am still too young to retire or no spare money too more like. I can but dream though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back