Are we the only ones having after sales problems.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GEORDIE, Aug 24, 2012.

1. GEORDIE

GEORDIE Read Only Funster

We took delivery of our new Dethleffs GlobetrotterXLi at a cost of nearly £100,000 from Lowdhams in Newark Nottingham Ion May 31st 2012. The handover was rushed but we did point out that as walking through the van the side locker door beneath the leather seating was pushing the door open forcing it to spring open as you moved past or sat on the seating. The response was the leather seating would wear in. There was initially a problem setting up the 2 televisions, but they managed to get both working.

We then left for a campsite to give the vehicle a trial run. There was a loud knocking sound coming from the left hand side of the dashboard. The televisions would not work at all, on inspection by a fellow camper it was believed there may have been an LNB Problem, I notified Lowdhams who suggested they were ok when they left them. On returning home one of the light fittings fell from the ceiling and disappeared under the seat. We also had a warning buzzer and a red light on the dashboard came on, unfortunately the notification panel was in German so we had no idea what it meant. The vehicle lost all power on the busy A326 and came to a stop. After a few minutes we were able to continue our journey home without further issue.

I contacted Lowdhams again and asked them to investigate the first two problems believing the loss of power incident was just a one off.
    Lowdhams had a 6 week wait in their service department and referred us to Premier at Chichester, There wait was only one day nearer. Once again I phoned Lowdhams, we were extremely worried by the knocking sound coming from the front section beneath the dashboard. They contacted Premier who agreed to let the (Salesman) look at the vehicle to see if he could help.

We took it to Premier, they believed the knocking sound just needed insulating with padding, A new light was ordered and the televisions after much waiting for the satellite dish to lock in they finally got working. We still had to wait for the other issues to be repaired on the original date given.

That same weekend we went away, and once again the Televisions would not work, We also found the bathroom area flooded due to a faulty tap. I telephoned Premier who said they would order a new tap, and repair when we attended there workshop on the 2nd August The date being brought forward by nearly 2 weeks due to a cancellation.

We attended Premier, on the 2nd August, The knocking sound was made good, the light fitting replaced plus an additional light fitting that had dislodged from it’s housing on our way there., They were unable to fix the televisions as they were not authorised dealers of Teleco. The tap was not repaired as the wrong one had been sent so it was suggested they disconnect the pipework so we could still fill the system. The seating was photographed as it was clear the cushions were too large and were in fact pushing the door out of shape and alignment. These were then sent to Dethleff's.

It was pointed out to us that there was a knocking sound coming from the overhead cab bed. They also disturbingly pointed out low levels of fluid in the washer container and the engine coolant system. We were advised that there was a possible leak in that system. The tyres were all deflated by a 25%:Sad: as they contained too much pressure in them. They also changed the dashboard readings to English for us and changed the settings on the radio to the correct settings and showed us how to operate it correctly. A great service from Premier.

We went on a 2 night break after leaving the dealership, on arrival the engine coolant fluid was once again below the accepted levels, we also found on putting up the Awning one of the 2 legs holding the awning in place failed to hold rendering it impossible to put up. One of the adjuster knobs came off of the driver’s seat whilst attempting to adjust the seatback position.

We made a call to Premier who advised us to take it to the nearest Fiat dealer to us which is in Adams Morey Southampton.. to get the cooling system levels investigated. Once we were home we booked it in and thanks to them a leaking pipe was corrected.

In the meantime being so fed up with the television issue I contacted Teleco direct, who arranged for us to have it looked at by one of their recommended technicians. This was done and at last the cause was found to be what was suspected, a faulty LNB.

We set out on the 17th August for our 2 week holiday which was paid for some time ago. When we arrived at the first of the campsites booked for 3 nights, once again the buzzer sounded and the red light on the dashboard reading A Transmission fault. This was the same as what had happened the previous time but we assumed it was just a warning.
    On Monday the 20th we were booked into a site in Islip Oxford. Within two miles of the site the buzzer sounded and the red light came on. Once again we lost power on a very bad stretch of road. After several minutes we got going again but several times we lost complete power , we were extremely frightened and I telephoned Fiat assist whilst Alan battled to get us to a place of safety as we were on the A34. We were by then only a short distance from the campsite so agreed to try and limp along and they would send assistance to meet us at the campsite. After an horrific last mile we made the campsite and within 20 minutes help as promised arrived.

It was deemed unsafe to drive , The local fiat dealers refused to take it, so The Assist recommended we take it to our local dealer . The assist contacted our local fiat dealer and we were advised to wait till morning as there was no guarantee that the recovery low loader needed would get us there before they closed.

Next day we packed up the vehicle and emptied the tanks. We then found an excessive amount of water in the kitchen area soaking the carpets. It seemed to be coming from beneath the sink housing. Also one of the stays appeared to be loose with trouble getting it to retract.

Once again I telephoned Premier who suggested a pipe separation behind the sink housing was probably the cause. We told her of our present situation and that we were being taken to the fiat dealership. She suggested we make an agreed time to get the outstanding issues rectified. The date given was the earliest being the 20th September. I have since been able to change that to the 19th as we are in fact supposed to be away on the 20TH September. Thanks to Lisa who has promised to get it in sooner if she has a cancellation.

Again I contacted Lowdhams as the dealer who sold the vehicle and told them it was there responsibility. They offered no help but suggested we keep in touch with regards to the situation with the Fiat dealers.No matter that our paid for holiday was being disrupted.

As of today we still have no idea what the problem is with the engine side of the vehicle. I have seen posts by Sonesta on Motorhome Facts that describes the power loss of their van identical to our problem.. I do hope we will be back on the road sooner than they were. I did ask Lowdhams if we could have a loan van, but no joy.

At the moment we are extremely despondent, where do we go from here?:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You've been far far too generous. You should have dumped it back as not fit for purpose months ago.

DO IT NOW, it's a lemon, keep it at your peril.

Buy slobberbobajobs RV and be £70,000 in pocket and have a better vehicle.

Or buy old-mo's.

• Like Like x 6
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

This reminds me, we went to Morocco with 12 other vans. One a new Dethleffs 3l automatic.

They sent him off with an ODB2 disgnostics box so he could keep resetting the fault lights because they couldn't fix them in time.

Half way round the overcab bed fell down on them and they drove holding it up 'till the next stop when another of the group fixed it with bigger screws.

It was the only one that needed towing out of one site up a steep road.

It dug itself in somewhere else, the auto box was too brutal for poor surfaces.

The Germans are not totally perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I'm not gloating here, but your problems on your new MH make ours seem quite small in comparison with our new MH.

I certainly hope you achieve satisfaction, but you should be giving the dealer who sold you it severe ear ache. Go for the jugular :swear:

Good luck

• Like Like x 3
  5. GEORDIE

Dethleff's

Hi Guy's The van is not 3 months old yet, and believe me if they get the damned thing going again we shall certainly be heading for Newark on a visit. We may even push the boat out and go to the NEC in October and do a bit of creative selling for them. The problems with the loss of power seems to be to do with the new Comfort matic Gearbox, but I'm not convinced. You would think they would have the decency (Lowdhams) to contact us and see how we are fairing, but to say keep us in formed was a bloody cheek. So I figure the best way to keep them informed is to post on any site that I can. Any suggestions welcome please?:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I'm really sorry to hear your story. £100k is a mind blowing amount of money, yet the dealer treats you like its a pair of shoes, with a faulty heel.

Your post has achieved one thing, I was seriously considering Lowdhams at Notts as one of the locations I may purchase my first van (There is a dearth where I live). I know members may come on here and give stories of great service, but if they can't get it right with a £100K van, what chance does a potential punter have with £20 - £30k in their pockets. So no thanks.

Thanks Geordie, I hope you get the issues resolved.

PS. Suggestion: Edit the thread title to include "Lowdhams". Funsters will quickly find your thread when searching on the name.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Read Only Funster

after sales

You are not alone - our mh came from west country motors and when i phoned 6 weeks ago to ask about solar panels (3 times i left my no) was told kev would phone me back but am still waiting. Before buying this asked oak tree in nottinham to phone with more info re 2 mhs again still waiting. If they can't phone before you buy what chance after?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

It can happen with the best, but if you phone Glenn my service manager and ask him you should get a responce. 01-580-881288, if you dont get satisfaction, you can always PM me here:thumb:

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  9. camper

camper Read Only Funster

disgraceful

This makes me really angry.
    I thought I had problems but compared to yours mine could be called teething probs and fortunately the dealer has putt right all the faults I've found.
    The worst thing was my Fiamma awning coming off while I was driving which could have caused a serious accident.Fortunately it didn't.The other faults on my camper have all been down to poor workmanship which is inexcusable when I paid out nearly 40k.However, all these things have been or are in the process of being sorted.However, I have wasted lots of time to-ing and fro-ing and that isn't why I bought the thing.
    You say the run through was rushed.I've bought 5 items and they were all rushed except i have to say a trailer tent I bought from Camperlands where they spent ages with me making sure I knew what I was doing.I think in my excitement I have allowed dealers to rush me but I will never allow it again.How they dare to rush you when you're spending 100k I don't know.I think they should have to provide you with a pitch very close to their dealership with technical help available where you can spend one or two nights
    Under the Sale of Goods Act this company should give you your money back.Go to the OFT site and contact them if necessary.
    You have really helped me by putting this story on the site because I thought I might buy my way out of my problems by spending about 90 k but obviously it may not provide a solution at all.
    Lowdham's of Nottingham get a big thumbs down for this and I will never favour them with a penny of my cash!
    Also I read this week that Bentley's had gone into liquidation.It's a sign of the times but these dealers need to watch their step or they'll be next!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Here's an idea, which may or may not be a good one. I notice that the Lowdhams website has a 'contact us' option. Why don't we mount a sort of email 'class action' by each sending them a message via their website asking them whether they'd seen the negative publicity their treatment of this customer is causing?

If enough of us do this, that might - just might - embarass them into doing what they should have done from the first: get this disgraceful situation sorted out.

Might do no harm to email Dethleffs head office, either, to make sure they're aware of the bad name their dealer is rapidly building for them.

I suggest we do neither until GEORDIE gives us the OK or otherwise. In the meantime, the faults encountered, and the dealer's response to them, are appalling beyond words. Both company names are off my list for any future purchase, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

We bought our Swift escape off Lowdams 3 years ago,luckily we have had no problems with the van ,only a couple of issues with extras fitted by Lowdams'
    The Status aerial booster failed due to poor wiring connections and the tracker unit did not have all the wires connected to it, What got my goat, Lowdems could not look at these faults because they had sold allot of motorhomes at Peterborough show so could not look at it for 8 weeks! so paid someone to trace wiring fault and tracker£70 to sort it out.I think Lowdhams are great at selling but need to get a grip with their after sales approach:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  12. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i don't think i would be waiting 6 weeks for repairs it would be dumped on there forecourt with me and the missis with big banners demanding our money back as not fit for purpose

• Like Like x 3
  13. GEORDIE

Lowdhams

Hi Tell me how to get into edit my post title and I will add.
    Thanks all :cry:

14. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. GEORDIE

Thanks Shiffty. Will send them all an email..

16. ShiftZZ

The owner/director of Lowdhams. is Roger Craft, a diecrtor of National Caravan Council http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/

http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/the_ncc/aboutNCC.aspx

Our Vision statement:

“To be the most effective business partner for each of our members.”

Our Mission statement:

“That the NCC is the recognised and respected authoritative trade body for the UK caravan industry providing leadership through a centre of expertise offering support, products and services to members for the successful evolution of their businesses.”

Try Roger.craft@lowdhams.com

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GEORDIE

lowdhams

After sending a copy of my original post to Lowdhams plus letting them know we have posted it on four sites plus sent a copy to MMM Editor.

WELL!!!!! Just received a call from Lowdhams they are going to speak to the fiat Dealers right now and suggest once it's fixed we shall have to take it up to Nottingham for all the repairs.

I shall keep you all informed of our progress.

Surprising what you can do when you stop being Mr Nice Guy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I would demand my money back, what a terrible service :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShiftZZ

Get it in writing, TAKE NO PRISONERS>

When you buy from Lowdhams you become part of the family
    A family-run business for 46 years, Lowdham Leisureworld has a solid reputation for reliability and choice and offers a wide range of new and used motorhomes and caravans.
    Lowdhams are main agents for Chausson, Dethleffs, Autocruise, Hymer and Swift Motorhomes.
    Lowdhams have also commissioned the Hi-Style special version of popular motorcaravans with added value extras, making them attractive to new motorhome buyers.
    As one of the largest caravan retailers in the UK, Lowdham stock all the British brands: Swift, Bailey and Sterling, plus the UK's best-selling special models Free-Style and Hi-Style.
    At Lowdhams, the UK's largest independent family-run business, we offer many benefits and an understanding that others don't – when you buy a motorhome or caravan from Lowdhams you become part of our extended family.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/buy-Lowdhams-family/story-16602564-detail/story.html

20. kaybee

kaybee Funster

Sounds like I had a lucky escape. I was on my way to Lowdams when a friend told me about Fullers half a mile up the road. I went and bought there. There were one or two teething problems which they rectified without hesitation and even gave me a lift home and picked me up again as the manager had to pass through Lincoln. Really sorry to hear of your problems. I think Lowdams are in breach of contract and should be reminded of it. :swear:

• Like Like x 1