Are we the only ones having after sales problems. (2 Viewers)

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
We took delivery of our new Dethleffs GlobetrotterXLi at a cost of nearly £100,000 from Lowdhams in Newark Nottingham Ion May 31st 2012. The handover was rushed but we did point out that as walking through the van the side locker door beneath the leather seating was pushing the door open forcing it to spring open as you moved past or sat on the seating. The response was the leather seating would wear in. There was initially a problem setting up the 2 televisions, but they managed to get both working.

We then left for a campsite to give the vehicle a trial run. There was a loud knocking sound coming from the left hand side of the dashboard. The televisions would not work at all, on inspection by a fellow camper it was believed there may have been an LNB Problem, I notified Lowdhams who suggested they were ok when they left them. On returning home one of the light fittings fell from the ceiling and disappeared under the seat. We also had a warning buzzer and a red light on the dashboard came on, unfortunately the notification panel was in German so we had no idea what it meant. The vehicle lost all power on the busy A326 and came to a stop. After a few minutes we were able to continue our journey home without further issue.

I contacted Lowdhams again and asked them to investigate the first two problems believing the loss of power incident was just a one off.
Lowdhams had a 6 week wait in their service department and referred us to Premier at Chichester, There wait was only one day nearer. Once again I phoned Lowdhams, we were extremely worried by the knocking sound coming from the front section beneath the dashboard. They contacted Premier who agreed to let the (Salesman) look at the vehicle to see if he could help.

We took it to Premier, they believed the knocking sound just needed insulating with padding, A new light was ordered and the televisions after much waiting for the satellite dish to lock in they finally got working. We still had to wait for the other issues to be repaired on the original date given.

That same weekend we went away, and once again the Televisions would not work, We also found the bathroom area flooded due to a faulty tap. I telephoned Premier who said they would order a new tap, and repair when we attended there workshop on the 2nd August The date being brought forward by nearly 2 weeks due to a cancellation.

We attended Premier, on the 2nd August, The knocking sound was made good, the light fitting replaced plus an additional light fitting that had dislodged from it’s housing on our way there., They were unable to fix the televisions as they were not authorised dealers of Teleco. The tap was not repaired as the wrong one had been sent so it was suggested they disconnect the pipework so we could still fill the system. The seating was photographed as it was clear the cushions were too large and were in fact pushing the door out of shape and alignment. These were then sent to Dethleff's.

It was pointed out to us that there was a knocking sound coming from the overhead cab bed. They also disturbingly pointed out low levels of fluid in the washer container and the engine coolant system. We were advised that there was a possible leak in that system. The tyres were all deflated by a 25%:Sad: as they contained too much pressure in them. They also changed the dashboard readings to English for us and changed the settings on the radio to the correct settings and showed us how to operate it correctly. A great service from Premier.

We went on a 2 night break after leaving the dealership, on arrival the engine coolant fluid was once again below the accepted levels, we also found on putting up the Awning one of the 2 legs holding the awning in place failed to hold rendering it impossible to put up. One of the adjuster knobs came off of the driver’s seat whilst attempting to adjust the seatback position.

We made a call to Premier who advised us to take it to the nearest Fiat dealer to us which is in Adams Morey Southampton.. to get the cooling system levels investigated. Once we were home we booked it in and thanks to them a leaking pipe was corrected.

In the meantime being so fed up with the television issue I contacted Teleco direct, who arranged for us to have it looked at by one of their recommended technicians. This was done and at last the cause was found to be what was suspected, a faulty LNB.

We set out on the 17th August for our 2 week holiday which was paid for some time ago. When we arrived at the first of the campsites booked for 3 nights, once again the buzzer sounded and the red light on the dashboard reading A Transmission fault. This was the same as what had happened the previous time but we assumed it was just a warning.
On Monday the 20th we were booked into a site in Islip Oxford. Within two miles of the site the buzzer sounded and the red light came on. Once again we lost power on a very bad stretch of road. After several minutes we got going again but several times we lost complete power , we were extremely frightened and I telephoned Fiat assist whilst Alan battled to get us to a place of safety as we were on the A34. We were by then only a short distance from the campsite so agreed to try and limp along and they would send assistance to meet us at the campsite. After an horrific last mile we made the campsite and within 20 minutes help as promised arrived.

It was deemed unsafe to drive , The local fiat dealers refused to take it, so The Assist recommended we take it to our local dealer . The assist contacted our local fiat dealer and we were advised to wait till morning as there was no guarantee that the recovery low loader needed would get us there before they closed.

Next day we packed up the vehicle and emptied the tanks. We then found an excessive amount of water in the kitchen area soaking the carpets. It seemed to be coming from beneath the sink housing. Also one of the stays appeared to be loose with trouble getting it to retract.

Once again I telephoned Premier who suggested a pipe separation behind the sink housing was probably the cause. We told her of our present situation and that we were being taken to the fiat dealership. She suggested we make an agreed time to get the outstanding issues rectified. The date given was the earliest being the 20th September. I have since been able to change that to the 19th as we are in fact supposed to be away on the 20TH September. Thanks to Lisa who has promised to get it in sooner if she has a cancellation.

Again I contacted Lowdhams as the dealer who sold the vehicle and told them it was there responsibility. They offered no help but suggested we keep in touch with regards to the situation with the Fiat dealers.No matter that our paid for holiday was being disrupted.

As of today we still have no idea what the problem is with the engine side of the vehicle. I have seen posts by Sonesta on Motorhome Facts that describes the power loss of their van identical to our problem.. I do hope we will be back on the road sooner than they were. I did ask Lowdhams if we could have a loan van, but no joy.

At the moment we are extremely despondent, where do we go from here?:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At the moment we are extremely despondent, where do we go from here?:cry:

You've been far far too generous. You should have dumped it back as not fit for purpose months ago.

DO IT NOW, it's a lemon, keep it at your peril.

Buy slobberbobajobs RV and be £70,000 in pocket and have a better vehicle.

Or buy old-mo's.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We took delivery of our new Dethleffs GlobetrotterXLi:cry:

This reminds me, we went to Morocco with 12 other vans. One a new Dethleffs 3l automatic.

They sent him off with an ODB2 disgnostics box so he could keep resetting the fault lights because they couldn't fix them in time.

Half way round the overcab bed fell down on them and they drove holding it up 'till the next stop when another of the group fixed it with bigger screws.

It was the only one that needed towing out of one site up a steep road.

It dug itself in somewhere else, the auto box was too brutal for poor surfaces.

The Germans are not totally perfect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I'm not gloating here, but your problems on your new MH make ours seem quite small in comparison with our new MH.

I certainly hope you achieve satisfaction, but you should be giving the dealer who sold you it severe ear ache. Go for the jugular :swear:

Good luck

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Dethleff's

Hi Guy's The van is not 3 months old yet, and believe me if they get the damned thing going again we shall certainly be heading for Newark on a visit. We may even push the boat out and go to the NEC in October and do a bit of creative selling for them. The problems with the loss of power seems to be to do with the new Comfort matic Gearbox, but I'm not convinced. You would think they would have the decency (Lowdhams) to contact us and see how we are fairing, but to say keep us in formed was a bloody cheek. So I figure the best way to keep them informed is to post on any site that I can. Any suggestions welcome please?:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
We took delivery of our new Dethleffs GlobetrotterXLi at a cost of nearly £100,000 from Lowdhams in Newark Nottingham Ion May 31st 2012.

I'm really sorry to hear your story. £100k is a mind blowing amount of money, yet the dealer treats you like its a pair of shoes, with a faulty heel.

Your post has achieved one thing, I was seriously considering Lowdhams at Notts as one of the locations I may purchase my first van (There is a dearth where I live). I know members may come on here and give stories of great service, but if they can't get it right with a £100K van, what chance does a potential punter have with £20 - £30k in their pockets. So no thanks.

Thanks Geordie, I hope you get the issues resolved.

PS. Suggestion: Edit the thread title to include "Lowdhams". Funsters will quickly find your thread when searching on the name.

Last edited:

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
after sales

You are not alone - our mh came from west country motors and when i phoned 6 weeks ago to ask about solar panels (3 times i left my no) was told kev would phone me back but am still waiting. Before buying this asked oak tree in nottinham to phone with more info re 2 mhs again still waiting. If they can't phone before you buy what chance after?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You are not alone - our mh came from west country motors and when i phoned 6 weeks ago to ask about solar panels (3 times i left my no) was told kev would phone me back but am still waiting. Before buying this asked oak tree in nottinham to phone with more info re 2 mhs again still waiting. If they can't phone before you buy what chance after?

It can happen with the best, but if you phone Glenn my service manager and ask him you should get a responce. 01-580-881288, if you dont get satisfaction, you can always PM me here:thumb:

Peter

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
disgraceful

This makes me really angry.
I thought I had problems but compared to yours mine could be called teething probs and fortunately the dealer has putt right all the faults I've found.
The worst thing was my Fiamma awning coming off while I was driving which could have caused a serious accident.Fortunately it didn't.The other faults on my camper have all been down to poor workmanship which is inexcusable when I paid out nearly 40k.However, all these things have been or are in the process of being sorted.However, I have wasted lots of time to-ing and fro-ing and that isn't why I bought the thing.
You say the run through was rushed.I've bought 5 items and they were all rushed except i have to say a trailer tent I bought from Camperlands where they spent ages with me making sure I knew what I was doing.I think in my excitement I have allowed dealers to rush me but I will never allow it again.How they dare to rush you when you're spending 100k I don't know.I think they should have to provide you with a pitch very close to their dealership with technical help available where you can spend one or two nights
Under the Sale of Goods Act this company should give you your money back.Go to the OFT site and contact them if necessary.
You have really helped me by putting this story on the site because I thought I might buy my way out of my problems by spending about 90 k but obviously it may not provide a solution at all.
Lowdham's of Nottingham get a big thumbs down for this and I will never favour them with a penny of my cash!
Also I read this week that Bentley's had gone into liquidation.It's a sign of the times but these dealers need to watch their step or they'll be next!

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Here's an idea, which may or may not be a good one. I notice that the Lowdhams website has a 'contact us' option. Why don't we mount a sort of email 'class action' by each sending them a message via their website asking them whether they'd seen the negative publicity their treatment of this customer is causing?

If enough of us do this, that might - just might - embarass them into doing what they should have done from the first: get this disgraceful situation sorted out.

Might do no harm to email Dethleffs head office, either, to make sure they're aware of the bad name their dealer is rapidly building for them.

I suggest we do neither until GEORDIE gives us the OK or otherwise. In the meantime, the faults encountered, and the dealer's response to them, are appalling beyond words. Both company names are off my list for any future purchase, that's for sure.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought our Swift escape off Lowdams 3 years ago,luckily we have had no problems with the van ,only a couple of issues with extras fitted by Lowdams'
The Status aerial booster failed due to poor wiring connections and the tracker unit did not have all the wires connected to it, What got my goat, Lowdems could not look at these faults because they had sold allot of motorhomes at Peterborough show so could not look at it for 8 weeks! so paid someone to trace wiring fault and tracker£70 to sort it out.I think Lowdhams are great at selling but need to get a grip with their after sales approach:Sad:

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i don't think i would be waiting 6 weeks for repairs it would be dumped on there forecourt with me and the missis with big banners demanding our money back as not fit for purpose

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Lowdhams

Hi Tell me how to get into edit my post title and I will add.
Thanks all :cry:

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Thanks Shiffty. Will send them all an email..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The owner/director of Lowdhams. is Roger Craft, a diecrtor of National Caravan Council http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/

http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/the_ncc/aboutNCC.aspx

Our Vision statement:

“To be the most effective business partner for each of our members.”

Our Mission statement:

“That the NCC is the recognised and respected authoritative trade body for the UK caravan industry providing leadership through a centre of expertise offering support, products and services to members for the successful evolution of their businesses.”

Try Roger.craft@lowdhams.com

:thumb:

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
lowdhams

After sending a copy of my original post to Lowdhams plus letting them know we have posted it on four sites plus sent a copy to MMM Editor.

WELL!!!!! Just received a call from Lowdhams they are going to speak to the fiat Dealers right now and suggest once it's fixed we shall have to take it up to Nottingham for all the repairs.

I shall keep you all informed of our progress.

Surprising what you can do when you stop being Mr Nice Guy.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would demand my money back, what a terrible service :Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Get it in writing, TAKE NO PRISONERS>

When you buy from Lowdhams you become part of the family
A family-run business for 46 years, Lowdham Leisureworld has a solid reputation for reliability and choice and offers a wide range of new and used motorhomes and caravans.
Lowdhams are main agents for Chausson, Dethleffs, Autocruise, Hymer and Swift Motorhomes.
Lowdhams have also commissioned the Hi-Style special version of popular motorcaravans with added value extras, making them attractive to new motorhome buyers.
As one of the largest caravan retailers in the UK, Lowdham stock all the British brands: Swift, Bailey and Sterling, plus the UK's best-selling special models Free-Style and Hi-Style.
At Lowdhams, the UK's largest independent family-run business, we offer many benefits and an understanding that others don't – when you buy a motorhome or caravan from Lowdhams you become part of our extended family.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/buy-Lowdhams-family/story-16602564-detail/story.html

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds like I had a lucky escape. I was on my way to Lowdams when a friend told me about Fullers half a mile up the road. I went and bought there. There were one or two teething problems which they rectified without hesitation and even gave me a lift home and picked me up again as the manager had to pass through Lincoln. Really sorry to hear of your problems. I think Lowdams are in breach of contract and should be reminded of it. :swear:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
tell them you would be happy to keep the unit if it is completely fixed to your satisfactionb however, if its not fixed to your satisfaction you will consider the unit unfit for purpose and be seaking legal advise regarding recovering your money back.:Eeek:

good hunting:Angry:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
First of all I hope your problems get solved, We purchased our n+b motorhome a few weeks ago from South Hereford motorhomes it is seven years old , called in there on our way home from Malvern with a few snags ,all fixed straight away no problem and a lend of a courtesy car if we wanted:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
reject it

I would advise you reject the goods as not fit for purpose... only free legal advice I am giving on this issue:Blush:

But as an aside MHF is a powerful medium... I recall an email I got from a certain battery company ... many will recall the issues late last year... the owner did not want the negative publicity that MHF was showing from it's members.

Always to sides to all stories. But if you paid for something (does not matter that is its £30k or £100K from a trader you have the protection of the law.

But I have to agree with Brian.. my RV at a fraction of that cost seems to be a lot better value.

plug... on ebay again.. £27,500

Bob

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What is wrong with service in this country? :Sad:

Last year when my RV was 18 months old I took it to Signature Motorhomes at Westcroft.
I mentioned to Ross the Service Manager that the pop up reversing screen on the Radio was playing up occasionally and he immediately e mailed Four Winds in the USA and I received direct a new latest model within 2 weeks . :thumb:
No question, the customer comes first

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I needed a missing fuse unit

What is wrong with service in this country? :Sad:

Last year when my RV was 18 months old I took it to Signature Motorhomes at Westcroft.
I mentioned to Ross the Service Manager that the pop up reversing screen on the Radio was playing up occasionally and he immediately e mailed Four Winds in the USA and I received direct a new latest model within 2 weeks . :thumb:
No question, the customer comes first

When my RV arrived in the UK it was missing the fantastic vent fused holder (someone had nicked it at the showroom).. I sent an email to fantastic vent 5 years after it was fitted and they sent free of charge a complete fuse holder unit.

That is the sort of service I want... it is a shame that in the UK you have to threaten to take legal action mostly to get service.

Also at Malvern I purchased a 9" fillet knife from Flint & Flame .. I have purchased a very nice bamboo set of knives for £200 at Peterborough... very nice, great items... wanted the fillet knife.. purchased with a previous customer discount for £55 at Malvern... when I got it home I looked and found a tiny amount of rust on the tip.

I sent an email on Monday evening to the company... got a response same evening.. within 2 days a new knife had been delivered... keep the other one they said.. As I was after the 7" fillet knife they sent that .. plus a sharpener unit which you get when you buy knives from them £9 worth. Will I recommend them.. just did.. that is what you call service. The motor home industry needs to take a look outside at the real world.

Bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Lowdhams

Well it's all happening. Fiat have phoned. Apparently a pipe put through the body work by the coach builders into the front section of the cab, was not insulated nor was it capped( WHATEVER THAT MEANS) There the wiring has rubbed /burnt away leaving it arching making the sensors come on. This is now Dethleff's problem. On discovering this they want the recovery and the work they have done paying?

Lowdhams have asked that the fiat dealers do a temporary repair, and the vehicle is taken back to Nottingham. We have refused to drive it , and informed them that we do not want the vehicle back.

They will discuss it after the Bank holiday. Gee Thanks!!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I cannot understand Lowdhams asking you to take the product they sold to you to a Fiat dealer.
You paid your money to them and in doing so have a contract with Lowdhams , they should take responsibility for the product they sold you :Angry:

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
lowdhams

It was only right that we take it to fiat as it is a fiat engine under fiat warranty, Now that we know it is Dethleff's fault, they are the ones that need to sort this mess out due to their bad workmanship with this issue plus the other issues,

We loved that Dethleff's van and waited since October 2011 to take delivery. I can only hope they do the right thing and lend us a van of comparable quality . remove all the additional extras we have added and give us a nice Brand new one.

We now shall spend the next week removing all our goods and chattels ready for the big off. I shall also have to cancel the 3 trips in September all ready booked and paid for plus the one trip in October. WHAT A BLOODY WASTE!!!!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Geordie,

My advice to you would be to get all the issues sorted, some form of compensation for all the messing about and keep the van.

It was the van of your choice and you now seem to have also formed a relationship with your local dealer as well.

The engine issue appears to have been solved which was the main problem.

Rejecting a vehicle as being unfit if the supplying dealer does not co-operate can be a long and maybe costly business. Whilst this is going on you cannot use the vehicle at all as you would be seen to accept it.

A supplier has the right to rectify and make good before it can be rejected and your contract is with your dealer and not the converter. The dealer also has a contract with his supplier as to rejection.

Good luck

Peter

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
lowdhams

Hi I note your response as a Motor Home Dealer yourself.

Firstly the outstanding issues some from the when we first collected the van have not been repaired.

Secondly our warranty has been dwindling away whilst we wait for them to be fixed. Obviously it appears now all these problems are down too poor workmanship by Dethleffs. The fact that our Dealerships response in fixing the issues is down to them and their lack of relationship / courtesy to us now that they have had their money..

Thirdly We have lost out not only financially but also by mental torment with sleepless nights and stress that is not of our making or doing.
My wife planned all these breaks long before we took delivery of this van . It has not only devastated us but it has deprived us of time that can not be replaced.

For instance we should of been at Twinwood Festival this weekend Where our Grandaughter was due to join us as she had been selected from 121 entrants to be in the final of their Pagaent. We have desperately tried to hire a van so that we could still go. She is distraught and my wife is beside herself. This moment for them can never be replaced.

Would it of been to much trouble for them to have lent or arranged for a van to be at our disposal for this event?

No I dont think so, What they have sold us is a van not fit for purpose. The only consolation or maybe not was the fact that the van could of ignited had we not the sense to stop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back