Are we the only ones having after sales problems. (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I believe that the hierarchy of many companies are arrogant enough to ignore the small man / customer that complains, not considering that a collection of such customers have kept them in the position they have been accustomed to.
Could be at their own peril
:Eeek:

Agreed.

GJH and myself have been having a pop at these large companies and getting them put back in their place, this year to date.

Me
Vax
Barclays
FSA (yes the Financial Services Authority)
BT
British Gas
Anglesey County Council x 2
Capita
Vodafone x 2
Reactive Group

So it does pay, be brave and take them on...

if they fail to listen and take on customer complaints and issues, other companies will and they are the ones who will benefit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the last year or so (off the top of my head), compensation received from:
Yorkshire Bank (twice)
Co-op Bank/Brittania Building Society
Barclaycard
Three
Virgin Media (twice)
Scottish Power
Argos
Asda (twice).

Plus Microsoft, Royal Mail, nPower and Tesco previously.

Add to that lot apologies from CEO offices at BT, Barclays Bank, Go North East...

As I've said before, I accept that things can go wrong and time is needed to put them right but when blatant, avoidable or deliberate, customer dis-service occurs, the law is broken or a company stoops to lying they had better watch out ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
An open offer to Mr Rob Whiteman.

Just in case you are "lurking" and keeping an eye on this thread for whatever reason.

I will gladly pay your £10 signing on fee for you if you join us properly and explain fully the following...

1) How you first learnt about the Motorhome Fun forum.

2) How often you have read the posts on MHF prior to you first post.

3) How you decided that your first post on the Forum would be a defence of Lowdhams.

Hope you accept the offer.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Look what I found....

I know its old but.....

What you will also need to bear in mind is that German consumer law wonĺt necessarily be the same as UK consumer law, so if for any reason you have a legal claim against your vanĺs manufacturer or dealer, youĺll either need to be up to speed with with German law or be prepared to take the hit. Lowdham Leisureworldĺs Roger Crafts has another warning: ?You could be dealing with a company that has no financial credibility whatsoever. We know someone who ordered a motorhome from Germany, and between ordering it at a show and the supposed delivery date, the German firm went bust.? The buyer will have at the least lost their deposit. You should also be on the look-out for dealers out to pull the wool over your eyes.
"A German dealer might promise he can get your choice of caravan to UK specification," says Crafts, ?but how will you know if heĺs really done it??

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21001-servicing-imports/page__st__137

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
As of today , 2 phone calls from Lowdhams, one taken by my wife and one by myself.

The van is being collected tomorrow, and we shall have a visit from Ian to our home to discuss the issues.

There was no apology to either of us. We shall see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Its amazing, 5000 views on this discussion......... :Eeek:

this should be enough to make all dealers take note that if they sell an expensive motorhome be it 10k or 100k then the customer expects some service quickly if there are immediate faults with the MH they have sold they should be addressing quickly not weeks later , this dealer should now be very worried about the power of this forum and their complete lack of customer care.

I spent 30 years tugging and bought most of my new vans from Adrian at Broad Lane caravans, quite simply if I had a problem I took it straight back and it was dealt with on the spot if there was not room in the workshop they looked at it on the forecourt.

Dealers take note, selling the motorhome is the easy part its what happens next that matters

Dave

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I followed this with interest bordering on the incredulous .......... As Bob said early on there are two sides to every story, but we do see things mounting up on one side. A neighbour buys from Lowdhams and is well satisfied like many others, but it just goes to show that a mishandled job at best or just shoddy service at worst can ruin the hard earned good reputation. I really hope that there is a good ending to this - not forgetting the lost holidays that the customer suffered .........

All the best from over here. Let us all know how you get on? Thanks

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I'm just gobsmacked by all these stories of people buying new or nearly-new MHs and putting up with unbelievably crap service. We bought ours from a second-hand MH dealer in Pembrokeshire a couple of years ago; it was older than he normally stocked and he was selling on behalf of the owner. Despite this he spent quite a few days making absolutely sure everything was 100%, replacing the cambelt and rollers, complete service, new mot, and 6 month warranty covering every possible problem, right down to things like the seal on the fridge door. The one time we needed warranty work was to have the handbrake adjusted slightly, done immediately with no quibbles. The MH has performed faultlessly ever since.

And all for £8k

:Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm just gobsmacked by all these stories of people buying new or nearly-new MHs and putting up with unbelievably crap service. We bought ours from a second-hand MH dealer in Pembrokeshire a couple of years ago; it was older than he normally stocked and he was selling on behalf of the owner. Despite this he spent quite a few days making absolutely sure everything was 100%, replacing the cambelt and rollers, complete service, new mot, and 6 month warranty covering every possible problem, right down to things like the seal on the fridge door. The one time we needed warranty work was to have the handbrake adjusted slightly, done immediately with no quibbles. The MH has performed faultlessly ever since.

And all for £8k

:Cool:

Whats his name , give him a recommendation :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Alan, Rolling Motorhomes, Sleberth, just outside Haverfordwest :thumb:

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Lowdhams

Our meeting today with Ian Brown After Sales Manager from Lowdhams.

We fully explained our problems and issues, we then gave him a letter by hand for the rejection of the vehicle.

We also emphasised the need to review the system for vehicles with issues under warranty.Especially new vehicles. A 6 week wait, was agreed, as not acceptable.

It became clear that Lowdhams have been reading the forum posts. He apologised several times for the situation we found ourselves in.

We have made him aware that a case number has been issued from Trading Standards, who now have all the facts.

Mr Brown has gone back to Lowdhams to talk with the Directors and Dethleffs.

We have outlined what we need to achieve to have a satisfactory conclusion.

It is now up to Mr Brown to come back to us with the correct outcome,

We thank you all for your interest and invaluable advice and hope that when we next post on here , it will be Good News.

Watch this space. :thumb:

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Well it sounds like things are moving now - but no apology is disgraceful. What would have happened without pressure and advice from MHFunsters I dread to think.

Hope it all goes the way you want it to, but the one thing they can't give you back is the time you have had to spend to sort it out.

Catherine

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The issue of an apology is a strange one, I suspect that "The Squealing Pig" may have been advised that any apology may be construed as an admission of guilt or liability, I suspect that Slobobobob or Treacle could have a view on that.

The main issue is not the 'niceties' of polite conversation, but a fair resolution...

I am not surprised "The Squealing Pig" has not been monitoring events on here, even they are NOT that stupid.

Geordie, I hope you get what you wish.
Lowdenhams, I trust that you will treat this as an asset and learn from this.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
pleased to hear that the situation is moving forward

Our meeting today with Ian Brown After Sales Manager from Lowdhams.

We fully explained our problems and issues, we then gave him a letter by hand for the rejection of the vehicle.

We also emphasised the need to review the system for vehicles with issues under warranty.Especially new vehicles. A 6 week wait, was agreed, as not acceptable.

It became clear that Lowdhams have been reading the forum posts. He apologised several times for the situation we found ourselves in.

We have made him aware that a case number has been issued from Trading Standards, who now have all the facts.

Mr Brown has gone back to Lowdhams to talk with the Directors and Dethleffs.

We have outlined what we need to achieve to have a satisfactory conclusion.

It is now up to Mr Brown to come back to us with the correct outcome,

We thank you all for your interest and invaluable advice and hope that when we next post on here , it will be Good News.

Watch this space. :thumb:

Pleased that something is happening and that you have at last received an apology.
Appalled that it had to go this far.
We hope that the seller now does the correct thing and accepts their legal obligations and all ends ok for you.
MikeD :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I doubt Detleffs are covering themselves in glory in this case either

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Presales problems

Interested to read the stuff going on here as I was expecting to pick up a new Hymer Van from Lowdhams in Nottingham on the 20th July, heard on the 19th July that the indicators were not working so there would be a delay.
I was surprised to hear that a brand new vehicle was only subjected to a PDI the day before it was due to be delivered, two weeks was the projected delay at that point, that was extended as Ford continually failed to deliver parts (a complete new harness) for it.
Ford have been pretty useless and their lack of competence has been lamentable.
Eventually I contacted the office of the CEO at Ford and have been dealing with one of the assistants in that office for the last four or five days, today (29th August) I was told 'one day next week'.
I suppose that I should have cancelled some time ago but we want that van.
I am a new member of this forum and I assure you that I have no connection with Lowdhams apart from my attempted purchase of this vehicle.
To their credit Lowdhams have offered to accept a cancellation and to refund all of my money. The parts delay is clearly a Ford issue - it is unforgiveable but not the fault of Lowdhams.
However.....on the day I first went to see the van I had an interesting experience at the reception desk (I will not dwell on it here) which surprised me given the nature (high value vehicle sales) of the business, this together with the process of carrying out a PDI the day before the vehicle was due to be collected suggests a very casual attitude.
I have dealt with some very friendly, easy going people at Lowdhams, sadly this is not necessarily a recipe for 'delivering the goods' and the experiences of the OP has done little to dispel my uneasy feeling about them.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm of the view that Lowdhams know they now have a high profile case to deal with which is being followed by a multitude of people including regulatory bodies.

I'm certain they now realise their client is aware of his legal rights and they are on a hiding to nothing if they continue to evade their responsibilities, including serious damage to their reputation.

I'm totally convinced this will now be resolved to the satisfaction of their client, I don't see any alternative.

Strength in unity!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Interesting to see the power of the forums when a genuine grievance is ignored. Good to know we are not alone and fellow funsters are always ready to give support and that things are now moving in the right direction.

Look forward to reading of a satisfactory outcome.

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
eleventh hour pdi

I was surprised to hear that a brand new vehicle was only subjected to a PDI the day before it was due to be delivered,

This is crazy. if they say there's a 6 week waiting time for the workshop why do the pdi one day before delivery.Surely it should be done 6 weeks before just on the off chance that there might just possibly be the slightest risk of one or two teeny-weeny problems?

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
My dealer told me Elddis do the PDI's in the factory now, this really pissed off the Peugeot garage local to him who had a large service bay constructed to accommodate a hoist to lift motorhomes only to lose the anticipated PDI'S work:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My dealer told me Elddis do the PDI's in the factory now, this really pissed off the Peugeot garage local to him who had a large service bay constructed to accommodate a hoist to lift motorhomes only to lose the anticipated PDI'S work:Sad:

The Fiat commercial distributor does the cab PDI's before delivery to the converter.

We PDI them again without any form of payment as we find their PDI's somewhat lacking

Peter

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Hi All,

Missed a phone call but received an email with a promise to ring us on Monday afternoon when the 3rd???Option has been put together.

It looks like we shall have to wait till then. We know what we asked for ,so we are intrigued now to see what they are going to come up with.

At least something is happening and Ian Brown looks like he is being true to his word. Once we have heard these options?? we shall let you all know if Lowdhams has been able to redeem themselves.

Thanks for all your help and interest. The power of these forums are with out doubt very powerful. Can't believe there has been nearly 7,000 visits to this site!! And 10,000 to Motorhome facts.!!.

Geordie

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure Lowdams can ever redeem themselves completely what ever they come up with. Fact is you were treated dreadfully and who knows how it would have turned up without the support from the MH community. This will be in many peoples minds when considering dealing with Lowdams in the future.
Hope all ok on Monday :Smile:

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After sales service

We took delivery of our brand new swift kontiki 669 in April not good service from marquis . Arived late extras not fitted in time scratched front bumper toilet door kept opening I had to sort cupboard lock fell of locker handle fell of marquis really didn't want to know .we did get fog lights fitted free of charge though but very poor service we felt unwelcome . The worse was to come though 800 miles in this summer the fiat / iveco gear box developed a rattle the dealer didn't want to know so we took it to Adams Moray in Bournemouth who were excellent they said it would need a brand new box from fiat in Italy which they supplied and fitted not a good start to our motorhome life your not alone

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Hi All

Sorry we have been offline but we have been busy organising our house move which unfortunately had been in motion prior to our problems with the Motorhome.

I can confirm that talks with Lowdhams has been very productive due to the involvement of Ian Brown. He has been sensitive to our position and has worked with us to get the situation resolved as soon as possible . For that we commend him .

We have been working towards getting the result that is in the best of interests to ourselves, and are just about there.

We are being lent a vehicle, which will enable us to continue with the Holidays we have all ready booked.

So looks like we are going to make the Lincoln Show after all. We look forward to meeting up with the Motorhome group we are booked in with.

Alan (Geordie)

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Geordie, pop along and say hello to the funsters at Lincoln. You'll find us easy enough:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi All

Sorry we have been offline but we have been busy organising our house move which unfortunately had been in motion prior to our problems with the Motorhome.

I can confirm that talks with Lowdhams has been very productive due to the involvement of Ian Brown. He has been sensitive to our position and has worked with us to get the situation resolved as soon as possible . For that we commend him .

We have been working towards getting the result that is in the best of interests to ourselves, and are just about there.

We are being lent a vehicle, which will enable us to continue with the Holidays we have all ready booked.

So looks like we are going to make the Lincoln Show after all. We look forward to meeting up with the Motorhome group we are booked in with.

Alan (Geordie)

Managed to miss this update when it was posted and so was wondering how you were getting on. :Doh:

Glad that Lowdhams are finally owning up to their responsibilities. Just a shame that they had to be kicked into doing so! :Angry:

Pop over and say hi at Lincoln - we can exchange horror stories! ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back