Anyone on here own a Wildax?, Thoughts please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2023
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
As mentioned in my introductory post I own a 20 year old A/S Symbol. The insides are still in great condition but it is falling apart everywhere else. I don’t want another Autosleeper because in my opinion,although they were the best British converter, they have now gone from bad to worse.
Wanting one of the new vans with the low emissions, I have ordered a Wildax Pulsar which on the surface looks good, solar panel, lithium battery, diesel water heater, 90ltr compressor fridge, the only lpg used is on the cooker with a 20ltr uderslung tank should last years.
I am now having second thoughts about this having heard some bad tales about the quality of the fittings.
I’m not an occasional user, before Covid & the Brexit disaster I was living in the van 5-7 months of the year.
So if anyone on this forum owns a Wildax, I would extremely grateful for any information on this marque.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have had a Constellation3 for 11 years and often go to the big shows and look at newer vans but there is nothing I would rather have. I have been pleased with mine. Obviously since it is old now things have gone wrong but on the whole it has been super, especially as it was a builders' van before WildAx converted it. Pulsars are very popular and mostly well loved by owners, although some have had problems. I had an AS Symphony before I got this, and wanted the same layout! I think mine was the first WildAx on here!!

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I’ve got a 2 year old 5m Pulsar and absolutely love it, assume you‘ve ordered a 5.4m? In the past I have had 5 other new motorhomes and every one had a long snagging list. Nothing at all with the Wildax. It feels sturdy and performs really well. (Just hope I haven’t tempted fate!) Why don’t you look at the Wildax Enthusiasts Group on Facebook? All the info you could possibly need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
OP
OP
spigot
Jul 3, 2023
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
I’ve got a 2 year old 5m Pulsar and absolutely love it, assume you‘ve ordered a 5.4m? In the past I have had 5 other new motorhomes and every one had a long snagging list. Nothing at all with the Wildax. It feels sturdy and performs really well. (Just hope I haven’t tempted fate!) Why don’t you look at the Wildax Enthusiasts Group on Facebook? All the info you could possibly need.

I absolutely refuse to join Facebook!

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We have been to the factory to see a van we liked. On closer inspection we have ruled them out.

Don’t get me wrong I like the look of the van. Set up was great. Option of volt pack. No need for lpg. Large fridge.

The down side is the units use tambour doors. Seems to make units smaller I see issues when units full.
Compact bathroom. We looked at the end lounge but found the underbed units small and not practical. You open the rear doors and the only access is through small doors under the very usable space meaning very little storage for outdoor seating/table like you get in the IH or Consort motorhome.
Also seen one video where the bed collapsed and seemed like poor quality.
Nice van but not for us.

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have had my Constellation since new in 2014. I hired one from the factory for 2 nights to try one out and ordered one when I returned the it. One of the things that impressed me, other than the quality, was the fact the owner and staff used them so new what designs worked. Would I have another, yes.

I have done around 750 nights in mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
spigot
Jul 3, 2023
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
We have been to the factory to see a van we liked. On closer inspection we have ruled them out.

Don’t get me wrong I like the look of the van. Set up was great. Option of volt pack. No need for lpg. Large fridge.

The down side is the units use tambour doors. Seems to make units smaller I see issues when units full.
Compact bathroom. We looked at the end lounge but found the underbed units small and not practical. You open the rear doors and the only access is through small doors under the very usable space meaning very little storage for outdoor seating/table like you get in the IH or Consort motorhome.
Also seen one video where the bed collapsed and seemed like poor quality.
Nice van but not for us.

Have you got the link for that bed :LOL:video, I'd love to see that!

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have owned our Wildax Elara for 2 years now and just back from 5 weeks in France in the van, usually manage 100+ nights a year and use the van on a mix of aires/stellplatz/britstop and sites, often off grid.

what do we like?
Duncan the MD and founder of the company, now part of Rapido, is very approachable and responds to email/calls.
If required, warranty work can be done at the factory, we have used them for warranty/upgrades.
Standard specification of the vans is high, they are great value for money.
All the fittings, cupboards, doors, bathroom fibreglass fittings etc all manufactured at the factory.
Quality of these fittings is good, we have had no major problems/issues.

what could be better?
Quality of the carpets are rubbish, we have replaced ours.
Some screws are too short for the purpose, cupboard doors etc which is annoying.
Drainage of shower/sinks needs regular attention due to tricky pipe locations.

But that’s about it, we have had a small number of annoying trim issues, but all resolved now. Personally I would recommend them in comparison to rivals, there really is no other comparable alternative to the Pulsar you are considering.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I've had a Wildax for the last two years (from new).

It's been remarkably trouble free. The cabinets are well made. Like many wildaxers, we use Ikea Skubb containers for clothes etc in the cupboards - they work well and don't interfere with the tambour doors.

My wife loves the fact that the kitchen is based around drawers rather than cupboards. Much easier to find things.

The electrical components seem decent quality - CBE, NDS etc.

I can't see us selling ours any time soon.

Edited to add: The standard carpets are the worst aspect of the vans. Like many others, we now use Dunelm runners instead.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
PS. the facebook group had a meetup in June. There were lots of Pulsars there.
1688475368498.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
spigot
Jul 3, 2023
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
There's another wildax group at https://groups.io/g/Wildax-Owners-Group

I hardly use facebook - the wildax enthusiasts group is often the only place I visit.

I have applied to join this group but they state:- “Without the make & model of your Wildax together with its registration No. we cannot consider the application”
I cannot furnish the registration No. as it has not yet been registered.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have applied to join this group but they state:- “Without the make & model of your Wildax together with its registration No. we cannot consider the application”
Did you try it without registration?

We just use WEG on farceache

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
We've had our Constellation for 13 years (first and only owners). All our lockers have tambour doors as does the bathroom and we've had no issues. Funnily enough we are still using the original carpets which have been fine. We only had little niggles and they were soon fixed. We did have it reupholstered and that was our choice. We have been very happy with our van.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
We had a look at them at Birmingham last year. They looked good to me but I asked did they do a model with a fixed rear bed and was told they don't. Bit shortsighted of them if you ask me.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We had a look at them at Birmingham last year. They looked good to me but I asked did they do a model with a fixed rear bed and was told they don't. Bit shortsighted of them if you ask me.
Don’t know who you spoke to but they do rear twin, island and transverse fixed beds, ours is a rear twin over a large garage on a Mercedes chassis.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
As mentioned in my introductory post I own a 20 year old A/S Symbol. The insides are still in great condition but it is falling apart everywhere else. I don’t want another Autosleeper because in my opinion,although they were the best British converter, they have now gone from bad to worse.
Wanting one of the new vans with the low emissions, I have ordered a Wildax Pulsar which on the surface looks good, solar panel, lithium battery, diesel water heater, 90ltr compressor fridge, the only lpg used is on the cooker with a 20ltr uderslung tank should last years.
I am now having second thoughts about this having heard some bad tales about the quality of the fittings.
I’m not an occasional user, before Covid & the Brexit disaster I was living in the van 5-7 months of the year.
So if anyone on this forum owns a Wildax, I would extremely grateful for any information on this marque.
Certain leakages best avoided!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the same with the Murvi Owners Club, we don't allow folk to join unless they actually own a Murvi. The only exception is if someone has a confirmed order for one, which you have - but as you didn't buy a Murvi you can't join our club. :)

Your best source of advice and opinion will be here on MHF. :)

I've met a few Wildax owners and never heard anyone complaining about them. Like Murvi they are different to the majority of mass produced vans in that you can actually speak to the converter and are not restricted to dealing with only a dealership.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've had my 5m Pulsar since 2017 (from new).
Apart from a couple of mods which are now standard, I had extra drawers fitted instead of the oven.
But I can't really comment on the fittings as they seem to be quite different now eg my carpets are great, and the only tambour door is the wet room.
I've looked at shows with a view to changing, but can't find a better layout (for me). Oh, and I love my Comfortmatic gearbox, which I wouldn't be able to have in a new van!

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I am eager for information but was informed thus:- "Only members can see who's in the group and what they post"!
That’s a common FB issue… There are some groups I simply wouldn’t request to join if I knew in advance who admin’d them….😖

Upvote 0

spudder56

Free Member
Jun 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
wildax europa
I have got a 2019 Renault master europa with the auto box the only problem I have had was with the base vehicle the conversion build quality is excellent tbh

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wrong badge on the front, it should be MAN! Yes know about the price difference/
We had a look at the MAN based Wildax. On paper looked good but payload issues and cramped kitchen entrance area ruled it out. Also serious doubts about the viability of all electric set up Here in UK. We specifed a similar layout Europa built to order with 2 x lithium, 3kw inverter, diesel heater but kept the gas hob and oven as a reserve. We believe this to be a good compromise. Under build right now.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
We had a look at the MAN based Wildax. On paper looked good but payload issues and cramped kitchen entrance area ruled it out. Also serious doubts about the viability of all electric set up Here in UK. We specifed a similar layout Europa built to order with 2 x lithium, 3kw inverter, diesel heater but kept the gas hob and oven as a reserve. We believe this to be a good compromise. Under build right now.
I looked at the altair when my europa was in for its habitation service. Like you, I found it strangely cramped. Decided to stick with my Europa.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I looked at the altair when my europa was in for its habitation service. Like you, I found it strangely cramped. Decided to stick with my Europa.
It is that entrance bit where they have that little front lounge. Plus the offside bed is too short. Even with the redesign it still gives a cramped impression.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back