Any News about Fiat Ducato's 8-Speed Transmission (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
3.6 litre V6 Pentastar with 276hp and a 9 Speed is the standard fit in the US for a Dodge Promaster.
Agreed, and yes it is. And the comments about lack of torque from the petrol engine explain the lack of 8th and 9th gears (apologies for being so dopey and not reaching this obvious conclusion myself). Fuel consumption on a good day is about 20mpg . . . which people who have converted from A- and C-class RV's find fantastic!

Financially though fill-ups cost $50-$70, compared to £125 for our PVC here.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
That's the 9 speed. Used for transverse engines, so used in the smaller Land Rovers. The ZF 8 speed is generally for longitudinal layouts.

The old one was the new one is not in production yet.

I’ve had the ZF 8 speed ‘box (longitudinal layout) in a VW Amarok pickup truck, and both it and the 9 speed Ducato box I currently have were and are superb units.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Agreed, and yes it is. And the comments about lack of torque from the petrol engine explain the lack of 8th and 9th gears (apologies for being so dopey and not reaching this obvious conclusion myself).
I'm pretty sure the final drive gearing will be different to what we use on our diesel vans. After all, the 2.3 litre diesel is peak torque about 2000 rpm and out of puff at 3500rpm whereas a petrol/gasoline V6 will spin about twice as fast to get it's best figures.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My 2020 Ducato is manual, but I've been using ZF 8 speed boxes for over 15 years in Jaguars and a Land Rover discovery. They have been brilliant and fault free.
A dealer at the February NEC show told me the upcoming 8 speed was going to be cheaper than the ZF. So as suggested here, not a ZF box.
I'd love to retro fit a ZF9 into my current van, but just know it's never going to be justifiable or even possible.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Citroen have an in-house 8 speed torque converter auto that they've previously used with 2 litre diesel MPVs. Which is my best guess as to where the new box will be coming from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back