Any News about Fiat Ducato's 8-Speed Transmission (2 Viewers)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That would have been too confusing for our younger members.......I learnt to drive in a 39 Morris 10cwt van, full crash box, moving up to the Minor 1000 with only a crash first was heaven....
The real skill was in the heal and toe i.e. braking with your toes whilst using your heal to flick the accelerator for the double de-clutch.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
ZF 9 speed brilliant. Presume new 8 speed in-house will be cheaper. On a Camperstop in Spain watching a German comformatic equipped camper being loaded onto breakdown truck. No gears, no local garage able to fix. Poor guy spent 5000 euros last year 14 months ago on repairs. Warranty 12 months!
My pal has a Hymer with the current 9-sp in it and seems really efficient, certainly if they swap from the XF to an in-house I would guess that there’ll be a stampede for the “old” model and a big delay in orders for the new to ensure it is reliable. Or a jump to the alternatives like Ford chassis with its very solid 6-sp auto and drama free, mine’s almost 5 years now and the Fist at the time was Comfortmatic which always seemed like a breakdown waiting to happen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
The real skill was in the heal and toe i.e. braking with your toes whilst using your heal to flick the accelerator for the double de-clutch.
Not with my size 10s, I never mastered that technique 😬, I was happy and still am that I could do it at all.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think 6th is too high because motorhomes are heavy, unaerodynamic and the wheels are too big. It was optimised for delivery vans.
Motorhome chassis has lower ratios than vans.
Not much fun in a modern vehicle when you touch both and the engine cuts out. 😊

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My speculation is the 8 speed is an in-house box originally designed by Citroen for MPVs with a 2.0 diesel litre engine.
I suspect it'll be a let down compared to the ZF 9 speed. But it might make it cheaper.
I think it might be the new Stellantis gearbox developed in the USA which is designed to work with ICE and Hybrid vehicles.
Hybrid vehicles may be around for a lot longer than pure ICE ones.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Motorhome chassis has lower ratios than vans.
My previous PVC started life as a work van before the previous owner paid to have it converted. If there's a difference, it must be pretty small. The revs seem to be lower on my new van, which I put down to the larger wheels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
ZF 9 speed brilliant. Presume new 8 speed in-house will be cheaper.
The 9 speed is built in the Fiat/Chrysler factory in South Caroliner which I think is going to build the 8 speed.
9 speed has been made since 2013 in different torque versions its fitted to Jeeps and FWD Range Rovers.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Time these Motorhome manufacturers put in an IVT !
CVTs are not good for high torque scenarios. Which is why they tend to be on smaller cars. The mechanism also has a higher inefficiency than meshing gears. Once you've got 9 speeds to play with, I expect the efficiency gains from infinite ratios pretty much disappears.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is this not a ZF transmission?
Unlikely. When the ZF 9 speed was introduced in the Ducato, Stellantis was still new. Now they've been around a few years, they are trying to put the same parts in as many models as possible, and reduce purchasing components from outside. So the 8 speed is likely to be an in-house design.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My speculation is the 8 speed is an in-house box originally designed by Citroen for MPVs with a 2.0 diesel litre engine.
I suspect it'll be a let down compared to the ZF 9 speed. But it might make it cheaper.

As long as it isn't a Jatco it should be OK. I don't understand the need for 9 speeds or even 8 speeds. 6 should be enough. Any torque converter is a Good Thing.

Yet another facelift for the X290. The biggest improvement will be the fully digital dash (hopefully standard and not extra) with clocks you can read, at last.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yet another facelift for the X290. The biggest improvement will be the fully digital dash (hopefully standard and not extra) with clocks you can read, at last.
That has been around since the Series 8, always been an option not standard, on my van if it ever comes it's £2400.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
That has been around since the Series 8, always been an option not standard, on my van if it ever comes it's £2400.

A ludicrous extra cost. Fiat are taking the piss.

My cheapo car has as standard a digital dash + infotainment screen. Whenever I get back in the X290 cab, it feels like I am in an entry-level van with pitiful very cheap dash clocks. Even the base Panda is better. I have got used to my Garmin as the default speedometer, but it shouldn't have to be like that.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

My cheapo car has as standard a digital dash + infotainment screen. Whenever I get back in the X290 cab, it feels like I am in an entry-level van with pitiful very cheap dash clocks. Even the base Panda is better. I have got used to my Garmin as the default speedometer, but it shouldn't have to be like that.
LCD screens for dials are actually cheaper to manufacture than mechanical items. It's also much easier on the engineering as fixes can be made in software. But they're perceived as premium, so manufacturers charge more.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not necessarily Fiat it's the converter that sets the price, and what else is included, it comes with the 10" infotainment screen with satnav, in the £2400 they include the Leather steering wheel with remote controls that they charge £504 if bought separately again silly prices but it's the converter that's winding up the prices.
On the other hand if you bought a head unit with 10"screen & amplifier with satnav as an after fit you would be into over £1500.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
On US RV sites there has been much discussion/complaint that the 9-speed gearbox is designed for all Fiat's from cars to the Ducatto/RAM Promaster but installers just block out the top two gears so it is a de facto 7-speed gearbox (the top 2 gears don't have enough torque for a full 4,000 kg van).
Is the lack of torque and subsequent loss of the top two gears in the US due to the Promaster / Ducato there being petrol rather diesel?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On US RV sites there has been much discussion/complaint that the 9-speed gearbox is designed for all Fiat's from cars to the Ducatto/RAM Promaster but installers just block out the top two gears so it is a de facto 7-speed gearbox (the top 2 gears don't have enough torque for a full 4,000 kg van).

Maybe Fiat are just being honest and keeping the gearbox the same but removing the top gear for all vans.

If you have a 9-speed does it use the top 2 gears (use the manual override, can you get the rev reduction of the higher gears above 7? I tried this on a US van and it does stop at 7, can't access 8th, or 9th, gear).
Yes it does use the top two gears.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes it does use the top two gears.
Mine definitely does , the whole gearbox experience is an automotive joy to use . I’d never go back to a manual box ever .
My wife’s 208 is a manual and it’s like stepping back into the dark ages driving it !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back