Any News about Fiat Ducato's 8-Speed Transmission (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Nothing bad, mine is an absolute dream after the comformatic......

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Obvious I have a new MH, I donĀ“t even know how many gears it has.......:unsure:
Likewise, 8 gears 9 gears I just lose count! I have 9 on the Fiat Van I think :unsure: anyway it's superb.
8 gears on the Volvo and that has been superb as well. (y) Manual boxes are so yesterday!:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Likewise, 8 gears 9 gears I just lose count! I have 9 on the Fiat Van I think :unsure: anyway it's superb.
8 gears on the Volvo and that has been superb as well. (y) Manual boxes are so yesterday!:cool:
In the rapidly growing past, I remember 3 speed autos and 4 speed manuals with first being non-syncro and so low geared that you always started in second, effectively a 3 speed manual.......happy days..and I agree, auto is the way, unless its a lightweight soft top with a few winding roads and passes to chuck it around...

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
On US RV sites there has been much discussion/complaint that the 9-speed gearbox is designed for all Fiat's from cars to the Ducatto/RAM Promaster but installers just block out the top two gears so it is a de facto 7-speed gearbox (the top 2 gears don't have enough torque for a full 4,000 kg van).

Maybe Fiat are just being honest and keeping the gearbox the same but removing the top gear for all vans.

If you have a 9-speed does it use the top 2 gears (use the manual override, can you get the rev reduction of the higher gears above 7? I tried this on a US van and it does stop at 7, can't access 8th, or 9th, gear).

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
On US RV sites there has been much discussion/complaint that the 9-speed gearbox is designed for all Fiat's from cars to the Ducatto/RAM Promaster but installers just block out the top two gears so it is a de facto 7-speed gearbox (the top 2 gears don't have enough torque for a full 4,000 kg van).

Maybe Fiat are just being honest and keeping the gearbox the same but removing the top gear for all vans.

If you have a 9-speed does it use the top 2 gears (use the manual override, can you get the rev reduction of the higher gears above 7? I tried this on a US van and it does stop at 7, can't access 8th, or 9th, gear).
Ooh, I must try that.....

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I have the 9-speed box and it's brilliant. On motorways it's in 8 or 9 all the time cruising between 60 and 70, occasionally down to 7th gear if it's a steeper incline.

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
In the rapidly growing past, I remember 3 speed autos and 4 speed manuals with first being non-syncro and so low geared that you always started in second, effectively a 3 speed manual.......happy days..and I agree, auto is the way, unless its a lightweight soft top with a few winding roads and passes to chuck it
I find our 6-speed Fiat based MH reminds me of 'those days'. 1st is really low and 6th is really high, so it feels like a 4-speed 'box plus a crawler gear and overdrive.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
In the rapidly growing past, I remember 3 speed autos and 4 speed manuals with first being non-syncro and so low geared that you always started in second, effectively a 3 speed manual.......happy days..and I agree, auto is the way, unless its a lightweight soft top with a few winding roads and passes to chuck it around...
You forgot double de-clutching! :giggle:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
ZF 9 speed brilliant. Presume new 8 speed in-house will be cheaper. On a Camperstop in Spain watching a German comformatic equipped camper being loaded onto breakdown truck. No gears, no local garage able to fix. Poor guy spent 5000 euros last year 14 months ago on repairs. Warranty 12 months!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My car has 7 gears so maybe 9 on a commercial vehicle is overkill?
It means they can tune the engine to be really efficient in specific rev bands. As long as it changes fast and seamlessly, give it however many it needs.

I think Ford make a 10 speed for their larger vehicles? Commercial vehicles generally need more gears to cope with higher loads.

On US RV sites there has been much discussion/complaint that the 9-speed gearbox is designed for all Fiat's from cars to the Ducatto/RAM Promaster but installers just block out the top two gears
I think it's unlikely the installers play with the ECU. If there's not enough torque to maintain the requested power a higher gear, it won't change up. The gearboxes should manage it themselves, so the converters shouldn't need to alter anything anyway. But it should still go to 9th when coasting at high speed.

Reactions: DBK
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I have the 9-speed box and it's brilliant. On motorways it's in 8 or 9 all the time cruising between 60 and 70, occasionally down to 7th gear if it's a steeper incline.
I like it too, but I did notice that if you use the limiter and keep your foot to the floor, it will stay in 8th, you need to lift a little then it drops into 9th.....not so comfortable to use as the old cruise control, that was set and forget, the limiter requires more throttle action.
We do a lot of Austria with its 100kmh speed limit and I notice the difference between the 2 systems.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I find our 6-speed Fiat based MH reminds me of 'those days'. 1st is really low and 6th is really high, so it feels like a 4-speed 'box plus a crawler gear and overdrive.
If I'm going downhill or I'm already rolling and I'm not in a hurry, I'll often start in 2nd. I can still lift the clutch pretty much straight away.

I think 6th is too high because motorhomes are heavy, unaerodynamic and the wheels are too big. It was optimised for delivery vans.

I'm generally ok with the box. But on mountain roads, I do find the gap from 3rd to 4th is too big. I think it's 33% difference in ratios? It's not so bad on my 150bhp van, but in my previous 120bhp where the turbo kicked in later, I had to scream out 3rd before shifting to 4th when accelerating up hill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back