Another Rouen thread! (1 Viewer)

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Sorry guys but we're off to Ile de re in 4 weeks time, it's our first time in our MH in France and there are 2 or 3 things I just can't make my mind up on.
1, Do I go toll or toll free?
2, Can we stay on the main route through Rouen without a crit air sticker?
3, Will we avoid the low bridges if we stick to the main tolls?
We have quite an early sailing from Dover and we are planning a stopover in th Loire.

Any guidance will be very much appreciated.
Keith
I don't know your van, or anyone else's, but for me I can't see any point getting a crit air sticker. I still won't be allowed in a ZFE. Ime, there's a lot of blanket advice out there. My advice is, before you get a sticker, make sure you're actually allowed in the ZFEs.

Jun 24, 2023
Dunstable, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
2002 to 2010 the 2021 to now
I don't know your van, or anyone else's, but for me I can't see any point getting a crit air sticker. I still won't be allowed in a ZFE. Ime, there's a lot of blanket advice out there. My advice is, before you get a sticker, make sure you're actually allowed in the ZFEs.
My Crit-Air was applied for and issued by gouv.fr so I assume, hopefully rightly, that it covers all of France.

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
When, a few years ago a fuel tanker caught fire on the bridge, that nearly all take through Rouen, we were forced to find an alternative route, the bridge actually twisted and sagged under the extreme heat. The way we found best was, around 32km before Rouen take the A29 E44 motorway towards L Harve. At junction 9 take the exit toward Yevtot on the D929 and follow signs to Pont de Brotonne, D131 and D490, after the bridge stay on the road D490 onto D913 then the D313 which is straight route from Yvetot to the A13 E46 motorway, then follow signs for whichever way you need to go, we always take the A28 E402 to Le Man's and onward. We find it so easy, about 8 miles further but often hours quicker.
Thanks so much for the detailed directions. When I finally go on my trip to Portugal, I will need to avoid Rouen completely. I had presumed the easiest way would be to go via Le Havre.

Jun 24, 2023
Dunstable, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Thanks so much for the detailed directions. When I finally go on my trip to Portugal, I will need to avoid Rouen completely. I had presumed the easiest way would be to go via Le Havre.
Having been travelling that route for more than 20 years l have 3 pet dislikes, Rouen, Nantes and Tours, I would go via Japan to avoid, forever changing road plans + digging them up. Wish I could put together similar to your planned trip, one day maybe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Have been through Rouen both ways in the last month. Being over 3.5t, we were sent through roadworks, essentially to the North of the centre. It’s in the satnav, it just takes a bit of time, particularly at 5pm☹️. You come out, towards Calais, on the A151 towards Dieppe, but eventually turn right onto the A28 north.

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
My Crit-Air was applied for and issued by gouv.fr so I assume, hopefully rightly, that it covers all of France.
ok I've just 'refreshed' my research. I had been under the impression, that I would be eligible for the very lowest, which basically means not allowed, but it seems there is no such sticker.

For your situation, you possibly need to check if you can still go into Paris, as of/after? July this year. It seems only high end certificates will be allowed.

eta reading this entire thread and following some of the links, it seems that Paris is not the only place to say no to lower end sticker (and unclassed) vehicles. Just because you have a sticker still doesn't mean you're ok to drive wherever you want (even if you need to!)

Last edited:

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Looking at a larger scale map, it looks like your suggested route doesn't actually go onto the toll road if leaving the A28 at junc.11... looks OK.
Just been looking at the route in detail, and if you come off the A28 at the north end of junction 11, prior to the motorway slip road, you go onto the D929 all the way to Yvetot and on from there.

Jun 24, 2023
Dunstable, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
ok I've just 'refreshed' my research. I had been under the impression, that I would be eligible for the very lowest, which basically means not allowed, but it seems there is no such sticker.

For your situation, you possibly need to check if you can still go into Paris, as of/after? July this year. It seems only high end certificates will be allowed.

eta reading this entire thread and following some of the links, it seems that Paris is not the only place to say no to lower end sticker (and unclassed) vehicles. Just because you have a sticker still doesn't mean you're ok to drive wherever you want (even if you need to!)
I have Crit-Air 2, but not on MH which I haven't, nor likely to, taken to France, 2008, tad old.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I have Crit-Air 2, but not on MH which I haven't, nor likely to, taken to France, 2008, tad old.
We have Crit-Air 5 :oops: but still travel around France just avoiding LEZs.

We still see some great places.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I never understand the concern about Rouen. I just set the sat nav to 'no tolls' and follow it. Never seen a low bridge. I'm not sure about the crit air but bought it anyway as it was only 5 euros and was easy to order online.

As for tolls - I suppose if you are in a hurry and are not interested in the journey then fair enough. Personally I'm never in a rush and prefer interesting routes, stop off's and exploring to miles of motorway. On cost, tolls are expensive and I cannot see how wear and tear would come to that equivalent. Clutch, gearbox I would expect to last the lifetime of the vehicle anyway (if driven with empathy) and brakes/tyres will last beyond their life also.

How do you know which class my vehicle falls into.

Hymer B524
3850kg
6m length

Depends of age/engine - Euro 4, 5, 6 ?? As said - go on website and look it up.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
REMEMBER: you're not actually "prevented" from entering; you just have to pay the price if you're caught. AFAIK most French cities don't use ANPR cameras so it's a case of someone stepping out in front of you and demanding to see your sticker (you could try running them over BUT it's not advisable and the penalty would be more than the original fine ;) )

I must admit to clenching my buttocks whilst driving through Aachen and Freiburg (Germany; no Umwelt Plaquette!).

Gordon

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Plus Rouen
And plus crit air narrows it further
There was a long discussion about old heavy Motorhomes
And it was a Canadian if I remember who emailed the city authority and got the answer til ‘24
Particularly of interest to old van owners of whom we are one

OP
OP
KeithandMand

KeithandMand

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
Just had this email from Rouen tourist information

Screenshot_20230713-084530_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
What is it with Rouen that gets people's nickers in a twist. We have been through Rouen a dozen times on the old and new ring roads, over bridges and through tunnels with never a problem. We are 3560 weight, no crit sticker and no Angle Mort. Depending on the next stop ie if its east or west we just let the Satnav do her thing

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What is it with Rouen that gets people's nickers in a twist. We have been through Rouen a dozen times on the old and new ring roads, over bridges and through tunnels with never a problem. We are 3560 weight, no crit sticker and no Angle Mort. Depending on the next stop ie if its east or west we just let the Satnav do her thing
I don't think anyone is getting their knickers in a twist, it was just the concern over the LEZ and whether or not one might get nicked.

OP
OP
KeithandMand

KeithandMand

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 130
I think you've answered your own question. You've done it many times but for some it's their first.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I hate travelling through or around Rouen , the first time we were there in a fiat ducato lwb horrid time as roads were closed due to being Bastille day and was diverted to a low tunnel ...no chance to stop as heavy traffic following..
There is always some blockage etc there

Well guess where we were going to have to travel through today in a Frankia which is 20yrs old until this thread which is not allowed ...

Great info from funsters again ...this new route is great, less hassle and traffic and being Bastille day tomorrow Safely parked up at La Mailleraye sur seine

John n Kath xx

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
It’s simple, down the hill towards Rouen and keep left, take the next right onto the D6015 direction Pont de l’ Arche. 😁
That road is speed ramp-and-30kph zone hell though surely, as it threads through some villages? I got on that road on my last attempt at Rouen and counted that as a 'fail' because surely the D18E is the correct road, as it usually flows quite nicely with no ramps and no 30kph zones.
Also, heading north on the D18E last September I saw a fuel station that had the cheapest diesel I'd seen, but unfortunately I noticed too late to make the entrance :(.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
That road is speed ramp-and-30kph zone hell though surely, as it threads through some villages? I got on that road on my last attempt at Rouen and counted that as a 'fail' because surely the D18E is the correct road, as it usually flows quite nicely with no ramps and no 30kph zones.
Also, heading north on the D18E last September I saw a fuel station that had the cheapest diesel I'd seen, but unfortunately I noticed too late to make the entrance :(.
It is but it’s a more direct route to Pont de La Arche. 😎
I’ve been using it for a number of years.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
It is but it’s a more direct route to Pont de La Arche. 😎
I’ve been using it for a number of years.
Ah, I see. What is significance of Pont-de-l'Arche though - a toll free route across the Seine?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Nothing really but there is an Aire and campsite there, it’s just my preferred route past Rouen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back