Air Fryer Pros & Cons and advice on type (3 Viewers)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm reading this thinking about getting one but the thing is we never buy oven chips or breaded fish we cook from scratch.. Has anyone who cooks like that got one and how useful is it

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm reading this thinking about getting one but the thing is we never buy oven chips or breaded fish we cook from scratch.. Has anyone who cooks like that got one and how useful is it
I do homemade burgers, I do my own chicken wings, I cook my rump steaks, pork chops etc
Proper chips can be made. Microwave baked potatoes & then crisp up in the air fryer.
I even warmed up a Costco danish pastry this morning in it.
I cook sausages & bacon [even though it's not recommended in the instruction manual]
Toasted sandwiches.

What do you cook from scratch?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We recently bought an air fryer - large basket etc - will also pressure cook. Learning to use the device we thought lets see what its like when we are away in the m/h. We have a lhd Hymer - no oven . First time we tried it - blew the post - only 6 amp supply in Spain - so asked a mate who is technical and he said max wattage for 6 amps is 1400w - so we are looking for a smaller 1kw air fryer to use in the m/h whilst away. Should have thought about it, but nothing lost - the big air fryer will have a use at home this winter.
We have the Ninja op100 model. The small one.

It draws 1460 w and we have just used it all over France on 6amp supply (camper car parking) etc. It never once in 3 months tripped a switch even with the large fridge on electric as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They work a treat we use ours for chips a lot. We buy hardly any processed food.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We have recently purchased this one, it is large, but it is purely for home.
Friends of ours already had one of these and have had great results using it, including a roast dinner, great because you can cook a whole chicken or joint when you use the extender.
I am still playing with ours to get used to it, but so far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG-20220916-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220916-WA0007.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 13
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do homemade burgers, I do my own chicken wings, I cook my rump steaks, pork chops etc
Proper chips can be made. Microwave baked potatoes & then crisp up in the air fryer.
I even warmed up a Costco danish pastry this morning in it.
I cook sausages & bacon [even though it's not recommended in the instruction manual]
Toasted sandwiches.

What do you cook from scratch?
All sorts but we don't usually buy any frozen stuff to just oven cook or ready meals. This week it roast chicken,shin of beef stew, chicken risotto, chicken and mushroom pie, chorizo and chickpea hotpot ,goats cheese and onion tart. I'm generally chef! ( But not chief!)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We had the Phillips one for years, & used it a bit, but treated ourselves to a Ninja Dual 300 a couple of years ago, & use it everyday! It cooks fish, steak, sausages, burgers etc without the smoke & lingering smell. It does oven chips for two in 15 minutes, cooks potato wedges from scratch in about 20 minutes, roast veg, roast potatoes, ready meals, reheats pizza (guilty pleasure) in 4 minutes…..I could go on! It has a sync function, so the meal can be ready at the same time, & if the grandchildren come I can have nuggets & chips done in 10 minutes (I’m an indulgent grandmother - don’t judge!). I love it for the two drawers, so the whole meal can be cooked if I want! Never use the oven these days - saves a fortune in fuel for us two!

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I am lucky & bought a ninja (pressure cook/ air fry(unused) in the spring, it’s a mini oven , it’s my most used appliance apart from my kettle.
It’s huge & heavy, don’t want to drag that around plus my inverter isn’t big enough to use in the van but great for home.
If your looking for a slow cooker, I’m gonna recommend a thread by Minxy re an ecopot in the spring, they’re great, money saving at the best, as to a mini oven/air fryer, can’t help as I use van one or a Coleman collapsible camping oven, sits on top of a gas stove (untried on my induction), I love it (I come to mh’ing from camping) but they’ve been discontinued some time ago & imported mine from US yonks ago, certainly keeps my rarely used awning warm

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
<Broken link removed>

I have the same airfryer, and have practically made our ovens redundant. I've done lamb chops and roast potatoes, jacket potatoes, wedges, chicken wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes, made up a cheese leek sauce in pan, poured over chicken in Pyrex dish in airfyer, put onto broil for 5 minutes to grill the top. Delicious. Also use it in moho.
We have a couple of these now , also both daughters got them after seeing them ( I wonder who paid 🤔)
We bought the Tefal one @ nearly £300.00 started unpacking it and realised it was cheaply made overpriced rubbish, sent straight back.

Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
I also use the Ninja (and an induction plate). The Ninja is very versatile and we can use it as a slow cooker, air fryer, steamer, sauté, pressure cooker plus other uses. It’s brilliant both in the home and in the van. I have used it mainly on hook-up but also through the inverter (but not often and only for short periods - sauté).

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My Grandson bought a Corsori 5.5th Air Fryer and it’s wonderful. I used it a lot over the summer as I didn’t want to heat up the kitchen using an ‘aga’ type oven. Chops, steak, chicken (portions and whole) chips, all sorts. I’ve been very impressed with it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes we cook from scratch in ours and the potatoes turn in to amazing chips with little oil

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We have one and was consigned to the "useless gadget" cupboard after a month.
People rant and rave how good they are at making chips (the main reason we got it).... well it probably is IF your idea of a chip is going in freezer, getting bag out and putting chips on a baking tray and putting in oven
HOWEVER if your idea of a chip is to get a potatoes, chip it, soak in water to remove starch, briefly par boil then deep fry..... Now that is a chip and not something any Airfryer can achieve 👍👍👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
HOWEVER if your idea of a chip is to get a potatoes, chip it, soak in water to remove starch, briefly par boil then deep fry..... Now that is a chip and not something any Airfryer can achieve 👍👍👍
That is the very thing we did with the Phillips air fryer removed the starch from the potato battons by soaking them then fried them they tasted as good as any fish and chip shop chips......

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That is the very thing we did with the Phillips air fryer removed the starch from the potato battons by soaking them then fried them they tasted as good as any fish and chip shop chips......
Can't rmbr our make but no matter what I did the chips? came out tasting like little baked potatoes.!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can't rmbr our make but no matter what I did the chips? came out tasting like little baked potatoes.!!
Some folk can, some folk can't.
Success can depend a lot on the variety of potato.

But life is too short for "chip it, soak in water to remove starch, briefly par boil then deep fry."
Some things are better homemade, chips aren't one of those.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Some folk can, some folk can't.
Success can depend a lot on the variety of potato.

But life is too short for "chip it, soak in water to remove starch, briefly par boil then deep fry."
We make homemade chips every year to go with the cold turkey after Christmas. They're great usually triple cooked and really crispy but too oily for a regular treat.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That maybe because 'air fryers' don't actually fry, but do bake.
We often cook potato and sweet potato wdges in the oven with just a spray of oil. I think id say roasted rather than baked and suspect the air fryer is the same.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have one of these which I wisely invested in wasted my money on about 5 or 6 years ago.

Is it an air fryer?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They're great usually triple cooked and really crispy but too oily for a regular treat.
Chill in freezer for couple of hours before last frying....reduces oiliness quite considerably. 👍👍👍
Or if time no object freeze between each cooking.... even better.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I'm famous in my family for my home made chips 😁

Peel'em.. cut'em.. deep fry'em, all that other nonsense adds nothing.

Big Boris

Free Member
Jul 4, 2020
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Since 2015
Don’t buy one of these, we did and sent it back after it reduced fries/chips to a mush whatever type we tried.View attachment 669800
We are looking into getting an air fryer, initially for home use, but have no idea what we should be looking for with regard to manufacturer, size or power.

Any ideas and advice from you knowlegable Funsters would be much appreciated please.
We have just bought a Ninja AF300 just for us two it's absolutely brilliant, cooking in a fraction of the oven times have cooked the best mushrooms ever. roast potatoes Yorkshire puds, it is very versatile you would never entertain oven cooked chips 🍟 after air fryer results

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back