Air Fryer Pros & Cons and advice on type (4 Viewers)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We have an old German halogen oven except it has a regular heating element in the top instead of a halogen bulb.
I can't see any difference between it and an air frier, (other than marketing) but I'm willing to be educated.
an air fryer is a simply a smaller convection oven with a relatively powerful fan...

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
an air fryer is a simply a smaller convection oven with a relatively powerful fan...
Yes that's right. There is actually nothing about them that meet the description air fryer as they do not fry at all. They roast. They are OK, we have one. Do we use it much? No. Would we buy another? No.
Would we take it in the van? Never. Too big.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We too just bought a Leisurewize Airfryer via EBay - new at £56.
It is low wattage at 1000w and is 1.7L capacity. Although smaller than some, it is more than suffice for the two of us. Have not been away in Motorhome with it yet and only used at home. Will definitely take it with us - as it saves using gas oven and on hook up it is only using 4.3amp. Non stick and easy to clean - and you can use throw away paper liners, so cutting down on water when washing up.

Attachments

• 9E653E13-CAD0-4070-9EB4-8431EFC5AA2D.png
    9E653E13-CAD0-4070-9EB4-8431EFC5AA2D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We are looking into getting an air fryer, initially for home use, but have no idea what we should be looking for with regard to manufacturer, size or power.

Any ideas and advice from you knowlegable Funsters would be much appreciated please.
Phillips are credited with ‘inventing’ them have just brought a Phillips essential (4 portions) tried out making fries in it, well what a hit it may not be the cheapest but does exactly what it said it would do.

Broken Link Removed

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Phillips are credited with ‘inventing’ them have just bought a Phillips essential (4 portions) tried out making fries in it, well what a hit it may not be the cheapest but does exactly what it said it would do.

Broken Link Removed
(y)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
To all that haven't got one yet best of luck finding one even Ninja don't have any been trying for weeks now ,left email address at JL and others no nothing as of yet hoping to get the Ninja AF300 twin draws 🤞 🤞 🤞

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We are going to buy a twin draw Ninja but today got a Tower express pro as it's lower power and was relatively cheap.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
To all that haven't got one yet best of luck finding one even Ninja don't have any been trying for weeks now ,left email address at JL and others no nothing as of yet hoping to get the Ninja AF300 twin draws 🤞 🤞 🤞
Just had a look at Argos, they have a few Ninjas in stock. Bet it's not the one you want though.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I'm doing the same the conclusion I've come to up to now is you need a family size one even for two So much information I keep researching.
I'll be keeping an eye to see what is recommended.
yes, you are right about the size for two people. I have two, one for when I am on my own and a family size one when I am cooking for two or chicken nuggets etc. for my Nieces and Nephews. Toasted sandwiches are the best cooked in an air fryer in my opinion. Mine are both Tefal.

Gina.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
The large Ninja is 1760 watts so approx 7.3 amps.
We bought the smaller ninja before going on our 90 days at 1450w works ok on 6amp.
Fantastic bit of kit.
A bit heavy but worth taking as it transformed our meal choices. It does a great baked pasta or baked rice all in one pan. Chicken and chips cook great and better than with the gas oven in the van ann easy to clean
Also when you’re on electric saving gas as well.
Will be the first piece of kit loaded on the next big trip. Highly recommended

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I noticed the other day that one has slipped into our kitchen, sorry but I dont see the attraction. We have a lovely oven a great hob and all singing microwave, If you cant put a good meal together with them then I suggest maybe add Nigella Lawson to your santa list. ;)

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I noticed the other day that one has slipped into our kitchen, sorry but I dont see the attraction. We have a lovely oven a great hob and all singing microwave, If you cant put a good meal together with them then I suggest maybe add Nigella Lawson to your santa list. ;)
but that's not the point of an Air fryer its about using less oil or cooking in a more efficient way (less energy) or something like a slow cooker/steamer (Sage/Ninja) used this for the first time Saturday for a Risotto and it reduced both the cooking time and energy significantly so whilst we have a nice Oven (big space to heat) a efficient Induction Hob these two devices willl be saving us money on energy and help with healthier food
Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 22.20.17.png

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We are looking into getting an air fryer, initially for home use, but have no idea what we should be looking for with regard to manufacturer, size or power.

Any ideas and advice from you knowlegable Funsters would be much appreciated please.

I got this one for the house..love it. Large size for 4. A bit power hungry for motorhome tho
COSORI Air Fryer with 100 Recipes Cookbook, XXL 5.5L Oil Free Air Fryers for Home Use, 11 Presets, Preheat & Shake Reminder, LED Onetouch Screen, Timer & Temperature Control,Nonstick Basket,1700W https://amzn.eu/d/jenxbQg

So got this one for the van bit slower but ok for 2
Tower T17021 Family Size Air Fryer with Rapid Air Circulation, 60-Minute Timer, 4.3 Litre, 1500W, Black [Save Upto 50% On Energy Bills] https://amzn.eu/d/5wXSKB7

We have the same Cosori for home use for all the reasons you have listed.
We also have the smaller Cosori for the van ,which works off the inverter.
We are very happy with both , they cook food perfectly.

Clint

Free Member
Sep 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Benimar

One of the Best Buy’s I have her made for the kitchen/motorhome , not cheap but well worth it😎

Attachments

• 5FFABD97-BCC6-425A-B0CE-968379A28182.png
    5FFABD97-BCC6-425A-B0CE-968379A28182.png
    769.4 KB · Views: 84
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think if you air you're views your either going to end up doing all the cooking or wearing an air fryer!. It's a bit like my wife complaining if I buy more screws as I've already got lots of them or a new power tool. If you think there's enough kit to do all the cooking get in there and do it!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think if you air you're views your either going to end up doing all the cooking or wearing an air fryer!. It's a bit like my wife complaining if I buy more screws as I've already got lots of them or a new power tool. If you think there's enough kit to do all the cooking get in there and do it!
Marketing at its best Wino, it is more efficient and uses less oil :unsure:
Let me cook you some chips.
The air fryer was not the only new gadget that I spotted this week. Alongside the AF is this very elaborate Soda stream. No I didn't ask.:blusher:

Last edited:

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Our son in law uses his Ninja quite a lot but what concerned me was the amount of fatty residue that was accumulating behind it on the kitchen walls/cabinets ... maybe this was purely down to the amount he used it... just something to be aware of.

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now

We recently bought an air fryer - large basket etc - will also pressure cook. Learning to use the device we thought lets see what its like when we are away in the m/h. We have a lhd Hymer - no oven . First time we tried it - blew the post - only 6 amp supply in Spain - so asked a mate who is technical and he said max wattage for 6 amps is 1400w - so we are looking for a smaller 1kw air fryer to use in the m/h whilst away. Should have thought about it, but nothing lost - the big air fryer will have a use at home this winter.

Feb 18, 2022
East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 696U
Exp
Used to drive a bongo and tow caravans

Bought one from Lakeland 3 year warranty included used a £10 off token that was in Sunday papers. Great machine.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Phillips are credited with ‘inventing’ them have just brought a Phillips essential (4 portions) tried out making fries in it, well what a hit it may not be the cheapest but does exactly what it said it would do.

Broken Link Removed
Same model as the Tefal, currently in Argos at £135.

Aug 21, 2022
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
AUTOCRUISE Gleneagle
My daughter-in-law and best friend both have the Ninja dual sided one and never stop regaling me with wondrous tales of how roast dinners , wraps and even donuts can be magicked from inside it’s miraculous shiny depths .
Now if only chocolate could be delivered …….. 😋

Nov 25, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one - yet!
Exp
Grew up in them! But not owned as an adult.
We have had a Philps air fryer for 6 or 7 years now.

We were put off buying one prior as some people had said that they were useless, while others thought that they were great.
We thought that we would give one a go and it is a great bit of kit.
Cooks a couple of chicken portions in less than twenty minutes keeping them moist and succulent which is a good saving on time and electric cost of cooking them in the oven.
Our air fryer gets used a few times a week to cook all manner of things, and frozen supermarket chips cook in just over ten minutes.
That's the one we've got - had it since 2011, so an early adopter. I would highly recommend it - we use for battered or crumbed fish (and scampi), as well as chips. Best to use the oven chips, as they already come with an oil coating. Yes it's like a small fan oven, but the power usage was never a consideration, as we've used it in our house - but we plan on taking it in our motorhome (once we've bought one!) as it's a useful tool.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back