Advice on longer m/homes please.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheTwoOfUs, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We're contemplating changing the Frankia for a longer van (8 + metres). We would appreciate any comments regarding the practicality of using a van of this length, especially relating to pitch sizes and access. Bearing in mind that we never wild camp so does it become difficult finding sites which will accomodate larger vans?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

shouldnt be a problem.
    Width and height will be the same...only a bit more in length

Some site struggle with 34ft+ RV's (but i think its the fact its an RV thats the issue...not the length) but 26ft isnt unusual.

My RV is 33ft but the wheelbase is only around 24ft so should fit on any hardstanding pitch with the arse hanging over the grass.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

My Autotrail is 24 ft and it's not a tag axle,everywhere we camp we see bigger vans. As far as ease of use goes,it fits everywhere I take it ,we even use it to go shopping every couple of weeks.
    It's just a matter of confidence when your out and about look around at all the delivery vans,busses,lorries,tankers etc.They manage to get to every outpost so why shouldn't you?

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

It's not driving it, our Frankia is 6.5m plus the trailer at 5m makes it 11.5m overall. I was thinking more about pitch length. I have been looking in the ACSI book and there seem to be quite a few sites who need prior notification for vans over 8m and some of over only 7m, plus there are some that won't take them at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

My two penneth.... :Cool:

We are 8-60mtrs...... and all I can say is or recomend is go for a tag axle...

Brilliant stabilty,, less being blown around in windy conditions.... and usually a better payload.. :thumb:

On this trip which is in excess of 2,000 miles we were only turned away from one site. out of the nine we have been to.. and that is because they were full.. :RollEyes::Wink::BigGrin:

PS... we also tow a twin wheeled car trailer... :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i would think the sites who need notification are more concerned with grass verge damage.

Obviously the longer the van the wider the swing needed to reverse on or off a narrowish pitch and excessive length may mean having to pull onto the opposite verge in full steering lock chewing up the grass.

Another factor could be site entry.
    I seem to remember Roger (wildman) had this issue when he first opened the Lazy Buzzard CL.
    Narrow lane and narrow entrance caused problems until he widened the gates

7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

You've answered your own question really,most sites have a standard sized pitch ,most have a few pitches that accommodate larger vans,and some can accommodate the largest vans.
    Depends on the site,the only way to find out is contact them.Turn up a in a large van and it's more of a lottery.

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Our van is 24 ft long .. It is a single axle but I have fitted air bags.
    It is stable, we have had NO problems getting on any site.. ever.

Travelling in Europe we have saved a fortune in toll charges as many tolls are higher for tags or twin wheelers.

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Our MH is exactly 8m long and I have noticed we seem to exactly fill most Caravan Club pitches, so you are right to query

However with such a long over hang that you will inevitably have this can / could be used to fit on some shorter pitches (w/o hedges / banks etc

That same over hang saves us in many car park situations, we regularly use the Waitrose car park in Ponteland on our way to Scotland and use all the over hang out over the river and fit wholly in a proper bay, much to amazement of the locals

Therefore I say go long but stick with twin axle, however I reckon over 8m you really need tandem

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've had 3 vans in the UK

A 36ft a 29 ft and current 25ft (7.7m). Have to say the first 2 were a pain regularly had issues and refusal onto sites because of the length especially in Europe. Trips had to be planned and sites checked beforehand which really doesn't suit our type of travelling. Personally I think 25ft is the max size for carefree travel and we would never buy a van bigger than that again. Having a sub 8m van has transformed our motorhoming experience for the better.
    Good luck whatever you choose :thumb:

11. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

The problem there is that they are often front wheel drive. With two rear axles, you've only got 35% or so of the weight on the driven wheels, which just isn't enough for muddy fields. You also pay additional tolls in countries that go by axle count.

Personally, I'd prefer a rear wheel drive dual rear wheel (4 wheels on a single axle). Then you get 70% drive weight so you'll be pulling cars out of muddy campsites, rather than waiting for the tractor yourself. The wheel arch intrusion is also over a more limited length, which can help with internal layout, too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We are 8.5 metres long on twin rear wheeled single axle manoeuvreability is good BUT it is quite a long van on some aires and pitches on the continent. Currently on site in Spain and OK used the aire at St Jean de Luz and the bays are very short but again we got in and out OK likewise the aire at Cleres near Rouen just sticks into the roadway a bit. We would not go any bigger but would be reluctant to go smaller and loose living space.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I'm happy with my 24'3" but if I ever have a windfall there is a much longer Rapido I have in mind. :thumb:

Merc V6 twin wheeled pusher too

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My non technical axle description has caused confusion, you have just described in your preference exactly what we have, and I agree

I bought a Mercedes based MH for our first, love them, especially the auto gearbox, now have a Hymer Mercedes single rear axle with 4 wheels, all driven

This also gives a longer rear overhang, sometimes helps with parking

15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

As always with these things you just have to be sensible, maybe not like this chap....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2apc1i4is"]Stuck Motorhome - YouTube[/ame]

Paul

16. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

In agree with forestboy,our MH is just over 24ft and in lots of sites in Europe you would be hard pushed to fit in to some of the pitches with anything much bigger.It can be done if you plan ahead and research the sites you want to stay at,but as far I'm concerned its just hassle I can do without.

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Had our RV three and a half years , 29ft long, have put 20,000 miles on the clock, travelled throughout Scotland Wales, ROI and Spain and Portugal
    It goes wherever we want , wouldn't want anything smaller :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. edgy

edgy Funster

Loved the post on you tube about the van stuck on way to tan hill. I did exactly the same as he did which was to obviously follow his sat nav. Very scary snowing and dark but i did not get my van stuck. :Rofl1::Rofl1:. Obviously proves do not get a van too big:Rofl1:

19. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

My thanks to everybody, we are moving from an 18ft hi top to a 24ft eldiss autoquest next month and we're beginning to wonder how we would cope with the length. Can't wait.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

20. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

bought our first motorhome june 2013 8.5m tag axle never been turned away from any site and with the trailer about 12m in total