Advice on longer m/homes please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We're contemplating changing the Frankia for a longer van (8 + metres). We would appreciate any comments regarding the practicality of using a van of this length, especially relating to pitch sizes and access. Bearing in mind that we never wild camp so does it become difficult finding sites which will accomodate larger vans?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
shouldnt be a problem.
Width and height will be the same...only a bit more in length

Some site struggle with 34ft+ RV's (but i think its the fact its an RV thats the issue...not the length) but 26ft isnt unusual.

My RV is 33ft but the wheelbase is only around 24ft so should fit on any hardstanding pitch with the arse hanging over the grass.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My Autotrail is 24 ft and it's not a tag axle,everywhere we camp we see bigger vans. As far as ease of use goes,it fits everywhere I take it ,we even use it to go shopping every couple of weeks.
It's just a matter of confidence when your out and about look around at all the delivery vans,busses,lorries,tankers etc.They manage to get to every outpost so why shouldn't you?

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It's not driving it, our Frankia is 6.5m plus the trailer at 5m makes it 11.5m overall. I was thinking more about pitch length. I have been looking in the ACSI book and there seem to be quite a few sites who need prior notification for vans over 8m and some of over only 7m, plus there are some that won't take them at all.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My two penneth.... :Cool:

We are 8-60mtrs...... and all I can say is or recomend is go for a tag axle...

Brilliant stabilty,, less being blown around in windy conditions.... and usually a better payload.. :thumb:

On this trip which is in excess of 2,000 miles we were only turned away from one site. out of the nine we have been to.. and that is because they were full.. :RollEyes::winky:::bigsmile:

PS... we also tow a twin wheeled car trailer... :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's not driving it, our Frankia is 6.5m plus the trailer at 5m makes it 11.5m overall. I was thinking more about pitch length. I have been looking in the ACSI book and there seem to be quite a few sites who need prior notification for vans over 8m and some of over only 7m, plus there are some that won't take them at all.

i would think the sites who need notification are more concerned with grass verge damage.

Obviously the longer the van the wider the swing needed to reverse on or off a narrowish pitch and excessive length may mean having to pull onto the opposite verge in full steering lock chewing up the grass.

Another factor could be site entry.
I seem to remember Roger (wildman) had this issue when he first opened the Lazy Buzzard CL.
Narrow lane and narrow entrance caused problems until he widened the gates

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You've answered your own question really,most sites have a standard sized pitch ,most have a few pitches that accommodate larger vans,and some can accommodate the largest vans.
Depends on the site,the only way to find out is contact them.Turn up a in a large van and it's more of a lottery.

Vlad

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our van is 24 ft long .. It is a single axle but I have fitted air bags.
It is stable, we have had NO problems getting on any site.. ever.

Travelling in Europe we have saved a fortune in toll charges as many tolls are higher for tags or twin wheelers.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our MH is exactly 8m long and I have noticed we seem to exactly fill most Caravan Club pitches, so you are right to query

However with such a long over hang that you will inevitably have this can / could be used to fit on some shorter pitches (w/o hedges / banks etc

That same over hang saves us in many car park situations, we regularly use the Waitrose car park in Ponteland on our way to Scotland and use all the over hang out over the river and fit wholly in a proper bay, much to amazement of the locals

Therefore I say go long but stick with twin axle, however I reckon over 8m you really need tandem

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had 3 vans in the UK

A 36ft a 29 ft and current 25ft (7.7m). Have to say the first 2 were a pain regularly had issues and refusal onto sites because of the length especially in Europe. Trips had to be planned and sites checked beforehand which really doesn't suit our type of travelling. Personally I think 25ft is the max size for carefree travel and we would never buy a van bigger than that again. Having a sub 8m van has transformed our motorhoming experience for the better.
Good luck whatever you choose :thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our MH is exactly 8m long and I have noticed we seem to exactly fill most Caravan Club pitches, so you are right to query

However with such a long over hang that you will inevitably have this can / could be used to fit on some shorter pitches (w/o hedges / banks etc

That same over hang saves us in many car park situations, we regularly use the Waitrose car park in Ponteland on our way to Scotland and use all the over hang out over the river and fit wholly in a proper bay, much to amazement of the locals

Therefore I say go long but stick with twin axle, however I reckon over 8m you really need tandem

The problem there is that they are often front wheel drive. With two rear axles, you've only got 35% or so of the weight on the driven wheels, which just isn't enough for muddy fields. You also pay additional tolls in countries that go by axle count.

Personally, I'd prefer a rear wheel drive dual rear wheel (4 wheels on a single axle). Then you get 70% drive weight so you'll be pulling cars out of muddy campsites, rather than waiting for the tractor yourself. The wheel arch intrusion is also over a more limited length, which can help with internal layout, too.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are 8.5 metres long on twin rear wheeled single axle manoeuvreability is good BUT it is quite a long van on some aires and pitches on the continent. Currently on site in Spain and OK used the aire at St Jean de Luz and the bays are very short but again we got in and out OK likewise the aire at Cleres near Rouen just sticks into the roadway a bit. We would not go any bigger but would be reluctant to go smaller and loose living space.

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm happy with my 24'3" but if I ever have a windfall there is a much longer Rapido I have in mind. :thumb:

Merc V6 twin wheeled pusher too

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The problem there is that they are often front wheel drive. With two rear axles, you've only got 35% or so of the weight on the driven wheels, which just isn't enough for muddy fields. You also pay additional tolls in countries that go by axle count.

Personally, I'd prefer a rear wheel drive dual rear wheel (4 wheels on a single axle). Then you get 70% drive weight so you'll be pulling cars out of muddy campsites, rather than waiting for the tractor yourself. The wheel arch intrusion is also over a more limited length, which can help with internal layout, too.

My non technical axle description has caused confusion, you have just described in your preference exactly what we have, and I agree

I bought a Mercedes based MH for our first, love them, especially the auto gearbox, now have a Hymer Mercedes single rear axle with 4 wheels, all driven

This also gives a longer rear overhang, sometimes helps with parking

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

As always with these things you just have to be sensible, maybe not like this chap....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2apc1i4is"]Stuck Motorhome - YouTube[/ame]

Paul

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
In agree with forestboy,our MH is just over 24ft and in lots of sites in Europe you would be hard pushed to fit in to some of the pitches with anything much bigger.It can be done if you plan ahead and research the sites you want to stay at,but as far I'm concerned its just hassle I can do without.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Had our RV three and a half years , 29ft long, have put 20,000 miles on the clock, travelled throughout Scotland Wales, ROI and Spain and Portugal
It goes wherever we want , wouldn't want anything smaller :thumb:

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Loved the post on you tube about the van stuck on way to tan hill. I did exactly the same as he did which was to obviously follow his sat nav. Very scary snowing and dark but i did not get my van stuck. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Obviously proves do not get a van too big:ROFLMAO:

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
My thanks to everybody, we are moving from an 18ft hi top to a 24ft eldiss autoquest next month and we're beginning to wonder how we would cope with the length. Can't wait.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
bought our first motorhome june 2013 8.5m tag axle never been turned away from any site and with the trailer about 12m in total

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
After watching you tube on the stuck tag axle go to the american amphibius camper .:ROFLMAO:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Van

Hi

I'm in a Kontiki tag axle. No really issues other than....

1) Some sites overseas have very small pitches. We have therefore pitched on the coach park at a large campsite in Florence, used the volley ball court on another and had to leave other sites without pitching. We have never failed to find a pitch - Google earth is your friend.

2) Camping and Caravanning Club - no bother at all - not always possible to book on line, but always have with a site. Never an issue.

3) Caravan Club - I cancelled my membership. "Oh it won't fit here" etc

4) Channel tunnel - same price for a big un as a little un

5) Extra length may bring extra height and weight and put you in a higher toll class overseas.

Aside from that, we love it and I would be very reluctant to downsize.

Russell

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for all your replies. We're still prevaricating over this as we love our Frankia but thought it might be less hassle to put a smaller bike in a garage rather than taking the GoldWing in the trailer and towing that. As I said previously the unit is quite long at 11m but at least I can uncouple it on site and thereby fit on most pitches. Another bonus if we swapped is that I get to have another bike. :winky:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Would imagine it would have to be a pretty small bike if you wanted to carry it inside the MH !,my trailer is ground loading and folds in half when I am on a site,so is no trouble at all.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The ones we have been looking at have a garage payload of 300kg and would take something like a F800 BeeEm. We've had scooters in the past but felt like peas on a drum perched up there. I must say here that we've never had a problem with our set up but thinking back I can recall one or two sites where we wouldn't have got on with an 8m motorhome both here and abroad.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Longer Motoerhome

Hi We have a Autotrail Comanche, I have no issues with the length getting in or out of pitches, some of the C&CC sites say that they dont take vans over 8 metre and at 8.7 metre I havnt had any problems, its also got a tag axle but the overhang at the back isnt as much as some other vans, all I do is take my time pitching and if I need to shuffle around a bit I do.
all in all I find the size does not hurt us in any way. I hope my opinion helps

Regards:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The ones we have been looking at have a garage payload of 300kg and would take something like a F800 BeeEm. We've had scooters in the past but felt like peas on a drum perched up there. I must say here that we've never had a problem with our set up but thinking back I can recall one or two sites where we wouldn't have got on with an 8m motorhome both here and abroad.

That's why we like ours the 650 Kawasaki Versys fits easily in the garage not into 50cc scoots :winky:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Was just thinking that the physical effort of getting a medium sized bike,in and out of the garage would be quite difficult,(the BM is over 200kg)I had a twin axle trailer with double folding ramp,that I used for towing my Harley Davidson v rod,and it was a real struggle getting it on and off,which is why I now have this trailer with air suspension which loads and unloads at ground level,have now changed to lighter Harley,as I'm not getting any younger.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'll have to make a video of the process of loading as people are always asking how its done and is it difficult. The whole process takes 5 minutes tops from start to finish that includes popping off the mirrors and screen which I've adapted. At 6ft 2in and 14 stone I suppose its easier for me than someone smaller and lighter.

Had several trailers but I found them a pain in the butt to be honest. Trailer is ok if you cant load it onboard but for us being totally self contained is the best option and we've had them all, racks, trailers, hydraulic frames, etc etc.

Oh forgot to add the Versys is 200kg as well.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have a swift Kontiki 8.7m. Never had a problem at the major CC club sites although they do have a few that cannot take us and this is noted when using the on line booking system. We use CLs in the main throughout the UK and again when booking I always ask and very seldom have we encountered problems. Abroad is a different matter. The airies are in the norm OK but many French sites in high summer just do not like us big ones. So like everything else just plan ahead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back