"A" Framer fined in Germany!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by JockandRita, May 14, 2013.

1. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I'm not getting into the arguments "for or against" "A" frames, (we have no desire for one), however, I thought that some of you may be interested to learn of a brush with the law, experienced by others on A.N.Other forum, so it's only for information purposes really.

The couple are known to Rita and I, and we have been in their company a few times, and know them to be absolutely genuine, so what you are about to read, is not a "Jackanory". :Wink:

Just to let some of you know that we were stopped 2 days ago by the police whilst towing our Smart car on an A frame and fined €25. This is our 3rd visit to Germany and the first time we have been stopped. The policeman said they had had new instructions only very recently to stop motorists using A frames.

He wouldn't check my husbands documents because he was fairly sure his licence wasn't the right classification. B.......'s licence covers him for 7.5 ton but in Germany he should have a licence covering him up to 8.5 ton while towing a four wheeled trailer ie: Smart car. If he had checked he would have had to fine him €1000. His English was fairly good so this is as we understood it to be.

The other point he made was the only countries that now allowed towing with an A frame were UK. Belgium & Holland. We haven't been stopped in France yet but will try using it there in a week or so.

Please, no disrespectful comments.

Regards to all,

Jock.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

That's why, if I ever had a toad, it would be as light as possible and on a trailer.
    Too many interpretations of the "A" frame law by different countries.
    When, and if, it is harmonised, then maybe an "A" frame, but not until.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

My understanding is that if your licence covers you to drive that combination in the UK then all member states of EU will allow the same. I thing the Police Officer was having a poor day and you got the brunt.Unless you have good language skills and preferably a relative as a senior German Police officer you did the best thing to pay his beer fund fine. If you are a member of C.C or C &CC or AA or RAC it would be worth sending detail to them. I would definately advise the German Embassy in London and ask for written opinion.
    CheersBernie

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why assume it is a "beer fund fine" without any evidence to suggest so?

As it happens, on the thread elsewhere which Jock referred to the OP has said (in response to a similar suggestion) "The fine was paid by credit card and the receipt was an official police one."

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ber090

Sorry Graham, sense of humour is always important. I did read the report and the receipt will be useful. Which force were you in?
    Cheers
    Bernie

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I wasn't :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

come on Graham.. own up

.. your ex Stasi :Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I was never that soft Jim :Laughing:

• Like Like x 6
  9. JockandRita

Please can you re read the original post....................as it's nothing to do with "me"? :Doh:
    I was merely trying to inform others. :Doh:

Gordon Bennett!

Jock.

• Like Like x 5
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i say if you have a motor homer and need a car to tow . then by a fifth wheel set up . or a mini artic ,. makes sense to me .
    i have aframes towdollies etc but a 5er is the way to travel .
    m,bike in the back as well .

11. Ber090

Gordon, Sorry but I presumed your friends would read this. I was not trying to shoot the messenger!
    Cheers
    Bernie

• Like Like x 3
  12. JockandRita

Hi Bernie,

As per the original post,
    They are very unlikely to read, or post on this forum. :Wink:

BTW, although I may often refer to "Gordon" (as in Bennett), unfortunately, I am not he, as he is famous and extremely well known, whereas I am definitely not. :Laughing:

Cheers for now,

Jock. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You are far to modest my friend :BigGrin:
    Id love to be a fly on the wall If it were you being stopped,
    I suspect you and plod would still be there arguing the toss:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  14. JockandRita

Had it been me Geo, then yes, normally I would do, if he/she were a Brit Plod, but these German ones are often able to assert a bit more of an impression upon me................with their gun clearly displayed in their holster. :Eek!: .................. :Laughing:

Cheers,

Jock. :Wink:

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

never bseen any of the euro cops take their guns out . i challenge them a few times . be it parking instead of camping .etc . they never even tap their holsters .
    i got arrested near aguiles in spain . after i showed the letter momo put on here . . i was took to the station saw a higher up cop . he then checked the letters originality . rang the interiour minister . casme back apologised and i was took back to my truck . i still see the guarda that did it . he laughs now.
    they really dont threaten you.
    you only fear they will.
    i met mo end of last year . had a good day in valencia with her . lovely lady . see you again momo .

• Like Like x 2
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

If you get done like this, how is it they let you go, you must still be breaking the law ,why don't they just phone their mate down the road to get you again and so on

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Surely it is up to the person caught isn't it? In this case if they uncoupled the car and drove both vehicles separately they would run no risk. If they continued coupled up they would run a risk. Their choice and if the mate down the road gets them no excuse :Smile:

18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just to put my two penny worth in. Unlike the rest of Europe, Germany is a completely different ball game. There are no grey areas in Germany, if its black, its black. If its white, its white. If you are doing something against the law in Germany, you will get nicked, no doubt about it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Says a man who's never pulled a muscle never mind a Toad:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

If you are stopped and fined for commiting an offence and then allowed to continue your journey, the officer who stopped you would be in the wrong for allowing you to continue committing the offence. If you get pulled and have a bald tyre you won't be allowed to continue with that tyre still fitted. The likely scenario would be to uncouple the toad and continue as two seperate vehicles. It should not be acceptable to say that only one of us drives, assuming there were two in the MH, and one vehicle should be left until it could be collected.
    Whether this happens in practice is another matter altogether, all I am saying is that it should happen in reality. :thumb: