Helen the Hymer (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like a great plan, how do you wangle this gardening leave ? I`ve been trying without successs all my working life !

I will make a point of visiting Villefranche du Périgord, where I was introduced to the town by a fellow Funster last May.

Can I ask whats there, is it just a nice village ? I`m looking for places of interest for my trip

Thanks

Chris

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Chris

I am an absolute sucker for old buildings, aqueducts, bridges and all that stuff. I shall be taking an assortment of artists junk with me to try and capture some of what I see. I have been cheating and using my digital camera as a note book for too long.

That reminds me, I can go to Le Pont du Gard again, last time was 3 years ago and I remember they are motorhome friendly. When I was driving back up from Andorra last year I kept passing through places or over bridges and saying to myself "I've got to come back here", well this year if I hear myself saying that (yes, I do talk to myself, sometimes I answer myself back!) this year I am going to pull over find somewhere to park and perhaps get the park4tonight out and just stop. For me France is my spiritual home and I am forever getting the wow factor. There is a mill at Astaffort I want to capture (water) and a windmill near Gimont. I could go on (and I probably will later). I have many friends to visit and for a while I will probably be like a mad dog with tripe!

If you are free just go. Don't go on the autoroutes, some of the hill top settlements I have stumbled over are absolutely fantastic. I am getting excited just thinking about it (NOT THAT);

Enjoy, I know I will

:france::france::wine:Clive:france::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Clive sorry to hear about the recent bereavement, but pleased for you that you can take early retirement!
I shall enjoy reading your blog and seeing your photos!
Enjoy the planning and safe travels!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon from a grey wet South Kent.

I have been unable to do the cleaning I had planned but it will now be easier to do, when I do, which is hopefully the week after next!

Helen should be going away this weekend to have a new exhaust manifold custom made. Second hand was not possible and despite great efforts an original new could not be sourced. I decided that as I had both cars back here on the mainland I would empty Helen into the blue car and that would reduce the risk of property damage while away. Where on earth has all this junk come from? The car is full and I still have to leave stuff onboard regardless, Helen is going on a diet!

On the bed with Helen

I am sure that I put on here somewhere that I had ordered new gas struts from SGS a little over a week ago. I can recommend them without hesitation if you need replacements. It was necessary for me to send one of my old ones up to ensure the correct new ones would be supplied.
I spoke to them in the morning, posted the sample up from the village PO at Mersham that afternoon. It arrived with SGS the following morning, they telephoned me to confirm certain things and the replacements were in the post that afternoon. Delivered to me the following day. Absolutely first class.
My plan had been to fit them the next day but life intervened and I was not able to do it until this morning - after the little emptying game described above.

I must have removed the strut that actually worked because the bed weighed a ton when I let it down (it had been even worse putting it up the other day). When the bed is down the struts are in compression and access to the lower pivot is not possible. I stroked my chin in the approved manner and fitted the ball end and strut to the front of the bed, then back to chin stroking while I worked out how I was going to attach the other end. Pushed (great effort) the bed back up and attached the straps. Tried to wriggle through the gap to attach the lower or rear fixing, I am not as big as I was but still to big to get through that gap. Back to chin massage! Then I thought, can I sit in the driver's seat and put it in from underneath. Slid into the seat, needed a little more length so pushed the bed up with my right hand and slipped the end over the pivot with ease. Popped washer on an replaced the split cotter pin - this pin will do for the time being but I will replace it and the other one very shortly. Got out of seat to let bed down to repeat on the other side, this time it would be necessary to remove the strut as well.

Wow, what a difference, just the one new strut had made the whole lifting and lowering experience a simple matter and no longer Herculean. Changing the passenger side was a doddle with my new experience and when I lifted the bed with two new struts it did all the work. I had had no idea how much easier it would be!

I refitted the side curtains and in the clear light of day I could see that I was not the first here since construction but I was the first to actually make a replacement. I would say only one had tried before and the irregular reattaching of the curtains suggested they abandoned the job with indecent haste. I put the mattress back on plus the ladder and my, my, how much easer life has become.

If anyone thinks they have a heavy bed to put up and down I suggest you change the struts, a quick and easy job.

As an aside, stapled over part of the bed base was a black plastic bag. This was on the driver's side and seemed to be covering some sort of curved metal bar. Looking underneath I could see no evidence of it so curiosity got the better of me, afterall, the bag was not original and would take moments to refit - if necessary. So I popped it off - bingo, a eureka moment like when Bob revealed herself to Black Adder. I saw the cut away in floor for the steering wheel to enter when the bed was lowered. So obvious when I had seen it. Doh, my brain hurts.:doh:

When she is back - probably a fortnight as the MOT will be done while she is away I will do the cleaning and fit the new roof light.

Not long now and the odyssey will begin!:france:

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi really enjoyed reading your story a bit of
Everything looking forward to the next adventure safe travels.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg

Latest on the Helen situation.

I am pleased to say that after waiting ages for the new custom exhaust Helen finally got home the day before yesterday (Monday) late afternoon. Gary drove her back and I followed in my car. Pleased to say she appeared to drive well. Sadly the new mirrors I had bought which we fitted Monday morning could not be clamped tightly enough to the mirror arms so they have had to be removed and the old ones refitted yesterday afternoon.

Yesterday's jobs (Tuesday 25 April).

1) Wash exterior, this started at just after 8am and finished about 1.30 pm (late lunch - jacket spud) with a break for coffee about 11am. This was the first proper all over exterior wash I had carried out on Helen, I had bought a ladder to be able to reach the roof comfortably and a long handled wash brush. All the dead paint and living Algae removed as best I could with the aforementioned wash brush but I found I was not able to get the pressure on some areas as much as I would have liked so ended up using a hand wash brush and leaning in as far as safe to remove some stubborn deposits. She must have been parked under an Albatross at some stage, I think there might have been the odd lichen or two as well. Anyway, Charlie and all other detailers/vehicle cleaners you have my total respect, my arms feel like they belong to someone else.

2) Refit mirrors (as above)

3) Visit B&Q to get an underlay for possible sound proofing at front and pick up a couple of bits of wood (for battery cover) and a reducer to couple grey waste hose. Didn't like the underlay so binned that idea and at the same time I appear to have binned the other things as well as I forgot all about them (must start to use lists and a pencil).

4) Tesco's fill up diesel. This took an inordinate amount of time, not because of me but the red Audi in front the driver of which defied belief (I will not indicate the gender as I do not wish to be accused of sexism) but after their antics on the forecourt they went inside to pay, I cannot imagine what they did in there to take that long. I had paid at the pump and walked back to explain to the queue behind I was waiting for the car in front to go.

5) Fill my Gasit LPG tanks (2x11kg) at United taxis. 66p per litre £18.67 so 28.29 litres, that has to be a significant saving on Calor propane and I will be able to refil in Europe.

After that I was back at base about 6pm so packed up for the day.

Today's jobs (Wednesday 26 April)

Scrub out inside, make new battery cover (B&Q again, car this time), fit new skylight to shower room/wc, fit panel to driver's side wall to carry "ships library" plus hopefully all the odds and ends I need to do.

Thursday's jobs, will be to put the absolute minimum of junk in ready for a departure on Friday. I expect to overnight in Cite Europe (will watch that helpful video again) Friday evening for an early start Saturday.

Further up dates in due course. Thanks for reading, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Wednesday 26 April Update

A lazy start to the day today, starting on Helen about 10am. Job 1, fit replacement seal to large roof light. Tony, who is a joiner, popped his head around the door to see how I was getting on. I had, when expecting Helen back somewhat sooner, asked if he could make me a small sort of box thing to go over the gas locker next to the passenger seat replacing the damaged plastic one. It seems he is still keen to do it and I am grateful. I removed the bodged and bug*ered plastic fitting (you would not believe how they had "effected repairs in the past). This revealed a sound, tidy fibreglass moulded foundation - thank goodness. Tony took the euuk tray away to help with dimensions.

Probably getting towards 11am I looked into the loo at the rooflight which I need to replace. I decided to remove the internal fitting (12 screws). I had decided earlier that I would not do it today because of the wind and possible rain. With the internal bit taken down it did feel very brittle. I thought I would give the other part a push to see if there was much resistance - there was not it popped out just like that. Suddenly the job was reinstated to today's programme!

image.jpeg

This was the hole I was suddenly greeted with. My hop up would not fit, neither would the steps so I got my fiamma step and used that and a large wooden block so I could get to the top, I felt like one of Erwin Rommels tank commanders rather than fixing one of Erwin Hymers camping cars! I inspected the state of the mastic or other sealant.

image.jpeg

This is what greeted me, and this was one of the better bits! In heavy rain there had been water ingress which in the main I believed to be mainly down to the poor state of the rooflight. The truth was NO, the original mastic had hardened, dried out and died years ago. Some time ago, an attempt had been made to "seal" it with some sort of clear sealant, judging by what I found and the evidence you can see above it was not entirely successful. The dirt on the roof is fresh dirt released when I liberated the skylight (rooflight - I'll make my mind up in a minute). I dismounted and went to my tool chest in search of a scraper. The failed sealant rolled up and peeled off quite easily. The bulk of the old mastic came off relatively easily but there were of course a few areas which needed teasing. Once done a thorough scrub and left to dry while I tinkered with the vacuum cleaner picking up all the mess I had made.

When dry, I applied mastic tape to the aperture and the new fiamma 50 rooflight. This made life interesting and I was lucky that I positioned it correctly first time as this stuff sticks like sh*t to a blanket - I thought it needed to move just a smidgen and tried to push it. No way, not a snowflakes chance in hell and just as I did this the squal arrived. I closed the newly fitted lid. I had not needed to wait long to find out if it was water tight. Seemed like a good time to break for lunch (it was 1.35pm). After lunch I fitted the internals and then went off on another fruitless jolly to Wickes and B&Q. I will go to Rolfe's in the morning, where I should have gone in the first place. Having wasted what was left of the afternoon I called it a day but know that I have not much left to do and it should all be out of the way by close of play tomorrow.

I forgot to take a picture of the completed works but I will do that tomorrow and include it in the next episode of this gripping adventure.

I can strongly recommend retirement. Clive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thursday 27 April

Hi @StitchesnFluff, thank you for giving me the excuse for an early entry today to upload the pictures of the finished rooflight and identify the mastic tape for you. Sorry folks, there will be another posting later today.

Up early to get the bits I failed to get yesterday. Decided to have a coffee and saw the notification so nipped out and took a picture of the mastic box. The other photos where taken about 7am. Up bright and early this morning.

image.jpeg

This is the box Stiches and Fluff, sorry I don't remember how much it cost. I think I bought it at Johns Cross, I like going in there, only problem is I forget all about the Funster discount until I am miles down the road! It is quite wide and as I had doubled up on it, I don't think I will need to use my Silkaflex 512 (or is it 521) as well. Absolutely no evidence of water coming in so far and it really chucked it down at times yesterday - including hail!

image.jpeg

New Fiamma 50 roof light installed, closed position. Ceiling is a little uneven but what else would I expect after 35 years.

image.jpeg

Open position. I must say the newer plastic feels much softer and "friendly". The locking system is much improved as well. Now all it needs is a Bluetooth connection to my phone to tell me I have left it open before I drive off, yes, I know about check lists but I'm a bloke!

image.jpeg

The icing on the cake for me with this is the fly screen and black out blind. Neither were fitted to the original and though I am unlikely to use the blackout in the loo the fly screen is a must. I regret to report that the "mossies" seem to regard me as a fly in blood bank so I look forward to reduced exposure at delicate times.

Right, coffees is gone so I better get stuck in. Catch up later Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thursday 27 April Part 2

Not a lot to add here this time and sorry no pictures. I finally got the battery cover made and fitted. It may not be perfect but is vastly better than the piece of board which was there when I bought her. That done I pulled down the bed to check a possible routing for a usb socket as it were "upstairs", this was when I noticed that the front sort of dome leather cloth covering was still hanging limply where it had ended up the last day but one of my holiday last September.

Thought I would tackle this as a little to early to go for lunch, it took a little longer than I anticipated but at least I think I have fixed it back now. Lunch became late at 1.45pm. After lunch I looked at changing the shower room door mechanism, sadly my replacement was no better than the original so I put the original back. Next job was to replace the damaged Truma blown air ducting and a single damaged outlet valve. The spare parts I had bought on eBay some months ago were perfect. Replacing the valve and short piece of ducting was very quick and easy. It was getting on towards 4pm and I needed to clear up as I had promised to visit friends today as leaving tomorrow.

A few more tasks tomorrow then load up ready for departure. Should be in the Cite Europe car park by about 2300 CET tomorrow night. Thank you for your interest. Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good evening everyone from Cité Europe, Coquelles. I am starting this at 22.40 local French time. The Odyssey has begun - hooray.

Not much to report today. The day was spent clearing as many of the odd jobs that I could before the off. Gave in at 17.00 BST. Put some chips in the oven to use up for dinner and had a shower, always refreshing climbing into fresh clothes. Ate most of the chips put the final bits into Helen and about 1830 BST set off for Eurotunnel. That all went quite easily I was rather early for my departure though - 20.40. Because of this I wandered into the terminal to take advantage of the free wifi. I admit it is free but it is not quick, I had 4 apps on the phone that I thought I would update but failed to update any of them. Never mind I enjoyed people watching for a while then went back to Helen. Not long after I had got back an official appeared and told me I could go forward now, about 30 minutes early so that was a bonus;

Everything very straightforward and onto the train. As I pulled up behind the white van in front I watched as my nearside headlamp failed on dip beam - brilliant, I had got Garry to change the headlamp bulbs while I was with him because every time I arrive in France one of the me fails. Never mind I have loads of spare H4 bulbs with me and will change it in the morning before I set off for Wizernes.

I have had my cup of tea and am now going to crawl into my sleeping bag (yes I have done my teeth). Below is a picture of Helen at the tunnel terminal - there were lots of very posh motorhomes there so I have tried to exclude them from the view.

image.jpeg

More to come, I will call tomorrow Day 1

:france:Clive:france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thsnks for posting Clive !
I look forward to reading about your adventures and safe travels with Helen.(y)

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Samedi le 29 Avril

A good day today. Woke up around 6am UK 7am CET, made a cup of tea and returned to my bed. I have elected for the initial part of the trip to sleep at the back under the rear window. I did this the last two or three days last September and it worked well. This has confirmed that when it happens Helen's replacement will be a Hymer 524. If you hear of one I am interested even now but it must be left hand drive.

Well after a leisurely start listening to the farming programme on R4 (long wave 198 kHz) I dragged myself out to make tea again and prepare my orange juice (even that is not healthy now and I am not using the from concentrate stuff) plus the Kellogs Wheats. I was all done and on the road by 09.25 CET much to my surprise. Forgot to take a picture!

The first stop was to be (and was) at Ardres to say hello to someone who is a friend of mutual friends and insisted that I call when I was on my trip. Well, I called and they were not in (or hiding behind the settee) so I left a note saying I had called and would look by on my return sometime in September. A quick point of information here, if like me you have the camper type GPS but use it in your car as well, REMEMBER to reset it to CAMPER. I had looked at my Michelen and picked my "route" to Guines but when I had chosen the D304 when I got to the roundabout Doris (that is the name of my Garmin) said NO, take the D305, so I did. It was a really good road, new build, and all was fine UNTIL I got to Ardres, that was when I realised I had not reset my vehicle. I have to tell you that my whqtchemecallit CLENCHED, tight, Gordon Bennett. So please don't be an ninny like me. The first opportunity I pulled over and reset my vehicle, charming as it was to see that part of Ardres, I never want to see it again in a camping car!

On then to the planned visit at Wizernes, La Coupole (V2 rocket site). This was a pleasant hassle free drive from Ardres and well signposted. I arrived there around 11.00 CET. As you enter the site there is a sign indicating parking to the right for cars, plus a very definitive one indicating LEFT for "BUS". Don't do what I did with Helen and turn right, please go to the bus parking. There is no room for a camping car in the car, car park and the trees in and out are not camping car friendly.

image.jpeg

The wifi is a bit slow here so only this image looking towards the dome. Thank goodness the "Allies" bombardment of fixed sites caused its cancellation before it was ever used. I am no supporter of war or violence but I am not a roll over and give in type either (I have been part of a disciplined service in the past) but I feel people need to visit sites like this and "le memorial" at Caen to get some idea of mans inhumanity to man. I include not only the young but the tree hugging, yoghurt knitting, sandal wearing, window licking types. With the number of unpredictable types running around at the moment on all sides they need reminding of the horrors of the past (rant over). It is all very well theorising away from the action but a different matter when someone who you don't know wants to kill you, I know, (rant Definately over).

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I strongly recommend a visit but wear warm clothing you can remove and reapply because once you enter the tunnels and if like me you read the panels, it gets "quite cold" but once in the main Dome area it is heated. You will notice the temperature drop as you leave and the warmth return as you walk through the tunnel. I found the whole thing informative, well laid out and the videos and models very interesting. On the video front there are a number of faces that keep cropping up. At the gift shop I searched for a book that would encapsulate the information I had absorbed during my visit but sadly I was unable to find one.

On then to tonight's (and the next two nights) parking. Having roughed it last night at Cité Europe I made my way to "Camping Beausejour" at Arques, this is a camping municipal. All very good here, though I am not using the site wifi which is over by reception. I chose pitch 69 as an easy number to remember, can't think why! The staff here are extremely helpful and I had a good laugh with them. With the "Aire" just outside they were a little bemused by my desire to stay on the main campsite - probably in a month or two I will be as well.

After setting up camp I decided to walk to the small Supermarché 1.5 kilometres away. This is very basic with a minimal range but enough for me - I have already consumed the wine and am about to make my second cup of tea. The girl (or more accurately, lady) on the till was helpful and complimented me on my French. So it must have been bad!

Back at the campsite I prepared a comfortable salad and have sat here penning this. Tomorrow I will visit "L'Asceneur à Bateaux des Fontinettes." This will be a bike ride from here. Monday I intend to visit the Train Touristique de la Valée de l'Aa, where they celebrate 1st May with Lilly of the Valley, the traditional flower for that date - I had enquired the correct pronunciation of the word muguet (the flower), mind you I am so gullible I would believe anything.

Time for another cup of tea so I will close here and run some more tomorrow. My 3 SIM card and Huwaie device are doing me proud. Thank you @minxygirl

à demain mes amis, Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds a good day !

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Dimanche le 30 avril

A lazy day today, laid in until 08.00 and only got up then because I had ordered a baguette and unsure what time it may be arriving. There is no getting away from it, a genuine all singing all dancing French baguette out performs the English copy every time (or am I deluding myself)?

Today's plan was (and it happened) to visit L'Ascenseur des Fontinettes but that did not open until 14.00 so I busied myself trying to "organise things" with a modicum of success. I took lunch at 13.00, aforementioned baguette and a small portion of St Agur with iced tea. After lunch I got my road bike off the back and fitted my Garmin edge and vibe.
Got back into Helen to squeeze into my Lycra only to find I have very cleverly left all my grease behind. So I will be picking up a tub over the next day or two. it is a good job that the cycle ride was only a very few kilometres today as I do not wish to become chafed (too much information?)

I left the campsite and headed in the general direction of the canal which I followed to the "ascenseur." To anyone like myself who is interested in things mechanical or industrial archeology then it is well worth the visit. The cost is only 4€ and the young woman could not be more helpful. It was not plagued with visitors and I was able to read and absorb the information in the "salle d'histoire" comfortably. After that I watched an interesting video about the ascenseur and the écluse that replaced it. Hopefully below will be a picture of it viewed from my approach along the canal bank.

image.jpeg

The young woman working one of the pénaches in the video must have put her Sunday frock on for the filming as I can't imagine she would normally be attired in such a fashion.

The young femme d'accueil explained to me how to get to la grande écluse and I set off. Of course I was bewitched by a girder bridge carrying a single railway line across the canal with what appears to be quite a steep approach gradient and then I saw this large barge (by UK standards but small compared to the European ones) flying the Red Ensign at it's stern chugging up towards l'écluse. Hopefully photo below. Did I mention that the ascenseur was built to augment a flight of 5 locks, if not I have now. Oh and the sand used here for making Crystal d'Arques was imported by barge from Belgium.

image.jpeg

This distraction caused me to go the wrong way ant the six minute walk described in the picture below became more of a quarter of an hour. The upside of that was that I found "la gare" for the Train Touristique which is on tomorrow afternoons menu. Le méteo forecasts rain for this area tomorrow which is a shame, I hope it will not happen.

image.jpeg

After looking at l'écluse I walked back to my bike (the correct way this time) and made my way back to Helen. In my absence another Hymer has arrived a few emplacements along and over from me. A 2015 registration, quite big, I think it said B708 on the back. Looks very nice. I sort of mooched by to see if it had a Funster sticker but I could not see one.

Picture of Helen and my Cannodale road bike to close this entry below. I am doing this in the salle de fêtes where the campsite free wifi is. It is not the quickest but quicker than my on board wifi here.

I am happy to recommend this campsite. The staff are good and take pride in the campsite and their work. Everything is spotlessly clean and beautifully maintained. The building I am in is not very old and in this recreation room it even has a glitter ball for those of you who like strictly come dancing and maturing yobs like me who share faint memories of those bygone disco days, late 60's early 70's before we lost our innocence and got wrapped up in marriage and thankfully for some of us divorce! There's a happy note to end on. More gripping tales tomorrow à bietôt!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
lundi le 1 mai (Day 3)

Good evening from Arques

Today is my last day in Arques and I am pleased to report that the rain has more or less held off for me today. Though when I returned from my walk to the Train Touristique a few minutes after I got into Helen it absolutely chucked it down.

Today another lazy start getting up about 08.00 in anticipation of the boulanger. Sadly the anticipation was misplaced as he did not come today. National holiday here today and celebrating the muguet flower, have not worked out why yet! A picture of said flower should appear below - it is Lilly of the Valley (no relation to lilo Lil).

image.jpeg

The fitting on the window is another of those jobs I have to do!

After therapy to cope with my earlier disappointment I tried to get some more bits and pieces sorted before my afternoon trip on the Chemin de Fer Touristique de la Vallée de l'Aa.
I seem to be losing it a bit as I was trying to find things which I was convinced I had packed/loaded but they were/are definitely not there/here! So much time wasted unnecessarily, never mind. I did a reasonable amount and have concluded that my laptop is for the bin. Hopefully while I am moving around I will find a cheap standin at Aldi, Lidl or LeClerc or Intermarché and when I return at the end of September I am finally going to give in and buy a Mac.

I elected to walk to the station from the campsite, one because of the forecast rain, two, the existing wind and three I was simply to idle to get my bike back down off the rack for such a short ride. A light lunch and I set off about 13.15.

It was a pleasant walk, first around the adjacent etang with it's pêcheurs and assorted wild fowl, then following the road alongside the railway until I reached the canal which I followed until reaching L'Ascenseur from yesterday and crossing the girder bridge, over the railway line and into la gare.

My attention was taken by a small sign I saw high up on the wall and simply had to take a photo!

image.jpeg

The facility is presently out of use awaiting restoration!

On reaching the platform I saw it was necessary to go to a small Draisine to buy my ticket, it was a little before 2pm and the train was not due to depart until 14.30 so I had a mooch around taking lots of pictures which to anyone else would seem utterly pointless. I used to think there were a lot of weirdos out there but now I realise they are normal and I am the weirdo - live and learn. The train, an auto car called a Picasso is pictured below, I particularly wanted to see one of these and the remorque they sometimes pulled as I have models of the pair of them. I no longer have the duffle bag and coat and have never worn national health service spectacles (with one arm repaired with Elastoplast).

image.jpeg

Better make it clear that I have never worn those spectacles with or without the repair.

I bought my ticket, only 7€50 and joined the train. The train left promptly on time and to my delight initially went forward over the girder bridge and past both the grand écluse and L'Ascenseur where it stopped at a small halt. The red lenses were moved from end to end and we set off back towards la gare and ultimately Lumbres. The train was not crowded and I was the only foreigner on board. The ride was pleasant and comfortable with an interesting commentary at appropriate times (in French but even I could follow it). On the outward journey a stop was made at La Coupole for passengers to take a quick peek but no more then on through Wizernes to Lumbres the terminus for this ride. I found it interesting to see how the line had served the paper and other industries in the past and ironically the large fleets of Deroo lorries that (among others) were it's downfall. I enjoyed the ride particularly because it was quite a family thing and it was lovely to see the excitement of the very young children and to learn with them as their parents explained things.

There was a short break at Lumbres, the gare for which houses the office de tourisme, plenty of information for the area and only a few gifts, not tacky at all. I could not understand why the line was being maintained to such a high standard until we reached Lumbres then I found out. There is a large, I think grain complex there with silos and I saw a large number of tank/hopper type railway wagons, so that is why.

image.jpeg

The return journey included a stop at a recently renovated station containing a small museum, this being owned and operated by the municipality. Well done and presented. Arriving at Arques it was possible to visit the former goods shed and see the larger German steam locomotive which operates on the line periodically (next Saturday and Sunday, so I will miss it this time but I will get it on the way back). I believe it dates from WW2 but don't quote me, no history was available today. Picture below, taken in poor light and when just about everyone was not in the way.

image.jpeg

After this I took video of the Picasso doing it's final round trip of the day before following the railway line back to the campsite. There is a road alongside most of the way - I did not walk along the track.

Tomorrow is a travel day, my plan is to overnight in the station car park at Vigy and on to Abreshviller on Wednesday. I will be on the back roads and if I tire then I may overnight at Charleville - Meziers. It is only 200 miles but I expect it to take 5 to 6 hours on the roads I have selected. The other thing that will influence me will be the weather. I must say it has brightened significantly while I have be entering this.

Thank you for your interest and support, more to come. Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love lily of the valley and had them in my wedding bouquet and flower arrangements from mums garden.
We have stayed at Charlsville-Meziers but the aire was full so used the municipal campsite next door. A lovely walk over the bridge takes you to the massive square which had sand and a beach for the locals!!! A lovely old fashioned patisserie with tiles outside. (Can't find the photo) safe travels and thanks for posting!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Brilliant write-up Clive, thank you.
I just love the 'defense de fumer' sign right next to a steam loco :D

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Clive, your posts make a great read, keep it up.
Have you been to the Anderson Boat Lift near Northwich ?
Seems to do a similar function to the one you visited but rather different engineering

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for taking us with you on your journey! Interesting,inspiring and well-written.
Pod.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Mardi le 2 mai

Hi all

Your in luck it is a short post tonight as it was essentially a driving day. Regarding the Anderson boat lift Figaro, I have not seen it BUT I am planning to do a tour of the U.K. over the Autumn/Winter so could be show up there. I believe that an engineer perhaps called Anderton was consulted for the lift at Arques following a successful one in the UK (don't quote me).

Today as I say was a travelling day. I am pleased to say that there was no trace of the forecast rain and I changed into sandals when I stopped for fuel en route. My journey took an hour longer than I intended because I initially followed Doris's instructions which went the opposite way to my planned route and I decided I did not like it - I must confess that if I had followed it I would have been here earlier BUT I wanted to go my way. The good thing is that finally I do have all the time in the world and I did see even more things I need to go back for. I wish to be present at an event on Thursday or I would have stayed tonight and visited tomorrow a place called Montmédy. This appeared to be a huge bastion possibly Vaubin with enormous defences. So, I will be back for that. There was another small town, can't remember the name but as I drove around it you could see the buildings encircling the central church and all very, very old and so full of character I could have spent a day there with my sketch book and maybe a touch of watercolour. I know this is wrong and I should not say it but - France is just so French!

Any way enough of that (just in case you are curious or maybe just strange I am a Pisces so swimming both ways and dreaming), arrived here at Vigy hoping that a locomotive I have a model of might be outside but sadly it is hidden away and no activity here for ages, so I will stay the night leave early tomorrow and make my way to Abreshviller where I intend to spend around 5 days (Camping Municipal). Tonight I am "wild camping". My location picture is below.

Don't miss tomorrow's gripping instalment!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Mercredi le 3 mai (jour 5)

Awake early today to a bright morning. A very comfortable night spent in the parking beside the station. The adjacent municipal yard is up an running by 0800 with the various camions and camionettes setting off. Beautiful clear fresh air very breathable (doesn't he talk such nonsense). A picture of the station front in the morning sunshine below before my departure for Abreschviller.

image.jpeg

For today's journey I had researched my route in my Michelin atlas and noted the road numbers on a post it. I did have Doris turned on but simply to be aware. I am sure she will have the "hump" the next time she is used in anger. It really was a lovely drive and eventually I will be able to recover it from my Nextbase dashcam. When I topped one brow the view was so perfect I could not help but exclaim WOW!

A travelling day yes but a great travelling day, the rain held off until just before Sarrebourg when it absolutely poured down but the rest of the drive was simply brilliant. Very little traffic on the road and I was able to just plod along at between 30 and 40 mph most of the time simply drinking in the beauty of it all. This had been something I had planned to do for many years and finally I am able to realise it. A pleasure that could only be improved by sharing - perhaps that is why I ramble on so. Sadly as I am a solo operation no pictures en route unless I can get my rubbish lap top to let me grab some from the video.

Shopping done at Sarrebourg I continued to Abreschviller arriving about 1400. I was expecting a train tomorrow but not today so was pleasantly surprised to learn that one would be operating at 1500. I wandered around, took some photographs and then walked around the corner to look at the Camping Communal.

I returned to Helen and took the photograph below with her parked adjacent to the locomotive shed, sadly the little steam locomotive to operate the afternoon service is barely visible on the track next to Helen.

image.jpeg

I videoed the little engine and its train leaving the station and then returned to Helen and moved her to the campsite having called at the adjacent Gite Communal to make payment. I have elected to spend 5 nights here as I have not been to this area (on the ground) before and wish to explore. Five nights for just me, Helen, electricity and taxe de sejour 51€10, not bad. A picture of the "crowded" campsite below.

image.jpeg

One thing I think I have learned today is that it is easier to carry the modern compact all singing and dancing digital cameras and my phone. I have brought a whole selection of cameras with me for the trip (2 X Cannon DSLRs plus range of lenses etc etc) but the ease of the point and shoot with HD video as well, what is the point of lugging all that other junk about.

Since the train departed we have had "orage" (thunderstorm) and heavy rain continuously. It is lightening up a bit now so I hope for sunshine over the next few days as I want to explore on my bike as well as have a ride on the train.

That is it for today, let us see what the morrow brings. 17.36, is it to early for a bière, I have some 1664 mmmm!

:france:Clive:beerchug::france:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Brilliant write-up Clive, thank you.
I just love the 'defense de fumer' sign right next to a steam loco :D[/QUOTE

You should take a trip on the Durango to Silverton STEAM Railway in S/W Colorado USA, you can stand in open sided carriages to get a good view of the mountains, and get covered in crap whilst reading the NO SMOKING sign,:Eeek:

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@injebreck99 said
"You should take a trip on the Durango to Silverton STEAM Railway in S/W Colorado USA, you can stand in open sided carriages to get a good view of the mountains, and get covered in crap whilst reading the NO SMOKING sign,:Eeek:"

Drove along the road that parallels that line, both ways, in the snow, but sadly never actually got on the train. Must do it one day. Stunning scenery.

Neither of these are mine:
The road - takes a while to get out of urban mode, & mostly tarmac-oriented dash-cam, but gives a flavour

The railway - you should watch at least some of this! Difficult to believe this is still a commuter line.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back