LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
This beautiful Bugatti was displayed next to its Bugatti Railcar, the engineering is incredible on the Railcar the "4" engines are works of art. @scousebird as a result of this I think I will have to visit the Shmluf musée from which the car is on loan.
If I remember correctly the Schlumpf brothers owned more original Bucattis than Bucatti did :LOL:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon everyone on 13 mai. I should not have taken quite as much notice of the weather forecast as I did. It has been a great day and not at all like I expected. The upshot is, I have not been anywhere or done a lot. I have done some sunbathing which I appreciate is not good for me but I feel better for it. No pictures today as a selfie of a bleached, beached whale would not appeal and I do not wish to drive you away. I don't believe it (said Victor) there has just been a huge thunderclap (not Newman), there are bits of grey but I am sat in beautiful sunshine and there is another.

You may recall that I complained my Nextbase Dashcam was not working and I believed the fuse had gone, well I walked two kilomètres and bought 3 spare fuses, fitted a fresh one and still no good. When I bought the unit it was a customer return all good from the people at Guildford. When I first got it it did not seem to be working correctly and I contacted them. They replied quickly but it had begun to work OK so no problem - I thought. The unit is only used in Helen (more thunder) so you will appreciate has had little use. The reason I have found out it is not working correctly is because the mini usb socket on the camera is broken - had been from day one. I just got lucky the second time I set it all up. I only disturbed it because it was such a faff getting the sdd card out. I disconnected it over a week ago and when I put it back nothing. I just put it down to the fuse as above - but when I took it down again to check everything (I went through all the menus), nothing. I looked at the usb socket and then I saw the problem, the centre male section is broken so that is why it don't work. I always thought it looked off from purchase and I am sure the original customer "buggered" it and returned it. Individually all the parts work, and I am sure that Next base will have checked them but like me the only way to find out it ain't right is when they are all coupled together. It will be to much agro to get another unit sent here so I am now trying to bodge up one of my cheapo imitation go pros to do the job.

Wind is getting up and lots of thunder, no lightening so far or rain.

The weather is not supposed to be brilliant tomorrow but it is steam train and boat ride tomorrow afternoon so it can do what it likes!

Thanks for following, Clive

PS I am hoping to meet up with a friend and his wife in the not to far distant future and I might buy a new unit, get it sent to their address and they can bring it when they come. I am very happy with the quality of the Nextbase video so it will be another of their pro series. Mmmm, getting a bit windy perhaps a squall approaches better get my towel inside! Cheers Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
16) dimanche le 14 mai

Good evening followers, it has been a good day. Up relatively early around 08.00 but I had already had two cups of tea before I did get up. Weather given the forecast was surprisingly good. Dealt with the rubbish and washing up and with plenty of time in hand. Not able to buy tickets for the train before 14.00 and it's only about 2 kilomètres to walk. So back to fiddling. I had been using my old drivers mat at the entrance but noticed that whenever I lifted it there were "oily black marks" where it had been. I put this down to a leaking clutch master cylinder ('O' rings kaput) last year, plus I suspect some spillage where I suspect the oil filter body had been withdrawn through the cab. I will be speaking to the 'artful bodger' in due course. This mix was causing the backing to breakdown as well. The mat went to the poubelle with the other rubbish.

My attention was drawn then to the entrance step which has a reluctance to stay up on its own so I use a large wedge of wood to help it. The spring which should be helping this was broken many years before I got her and the replacement I obtained having ressureceted the remains of the broken one though of the same dimensions did not do any good. I will be returning to the spring department when back in the UK. I examined the 'mechanical catch' which was not really doing anything and saw that the slot itself was filled with rubbish which I cleared away. Step now goes up and down easier but is still reluctant to stay up. I know when I am beaten and went for a shower.

Still lots of time in hand and I was considering whether to stay here a few more days or move on through France before crossing into what I understand is going to be an expensive 10 days in Switzerland. I have a large map of France with coloured markers showing the places I had decided would be of interest to me before I left. One of these was near Pontarlier at Les Hôpitaux-Neufs, Le Conifer (I will let you imagine what my possible interest is here). It is in an area I have not visited before and will mean dipping in and out of Switzerland on the way - my route is toll free and mainly the smaller departmental roads. The distance about 220 kilomètres. Not a big deal and I will probably take about 6 hours doing it in an unhurried manner. Looked at the camping and there is a site right next to the attraction, going to be about 18€ a night with electric but it purports to have wifi and I have not exactly been eating out. Decision made.

Took lunch and while I did so it clouded over and started to chuck it down with rain, merde, I am not walking 2 kilomètres in this. I remembered to detach the towel I had hanging out to dry on the bike rack, now hanging out to wet and disconnected the EHU. I wound Helen up and drifted round to the station at Volgelsheim. I was early and there were already 2 other camping cars there though widely separated, I parked in the middle. At 14.00 I went and bought my ticket for the train and boat, then shortly afterward I heard a diesel pulling the empty stock into the station. I did not realise straight away that the locomotive à vapeur was at the back. Of course I wandered down and took today's first picture of a charming little German engine.

image.jpeg

You will notice the rain has stopped and had done so shortly after I arrived. It was now about 14.10 and the train not due out until 15.00 so I mooched about taking loads of photos. The next couple of shots will be hopefully one of a short peculiar coach, it is of German origin and I think may originally have been some sort of engineering vehicle. The other is of the standard short open veranda type.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I joined the train and it left promptly at 15.00, two of the trains carriages, one either side of the red and cream one shown above were reserved for a German tour group. I have an idea that the carriages like the one above originated in Austria.

The next picture is the only still I took with this camera of the train in motion. It is a little before the railways depot where a stop of about 10 minutes was made to allow people like me with an interest to see other items being repaired/restored or simply serviced.

image.jpeg

A quick one showing part of the depot

image.jpeg

Interesting little tram engine 'eh', after this we all rejoined the train and carried along to our next stop. A little surprise for me because it was where I saw that tank wagon the other day when I was out on my bike. Well, well, this was also where we were to change and join the boat (guess what, no, I'll tell you in a minute).

image.jpeg

You can see a lady in the picture above, well she, at this stage was last but one making their way to the boat - I will let you guess who the last one was. The following shot will give you an idea of how far the joining point for the boat was. An awful lot of the people were much older than me and not in the best of health but I did not hear a single complaint. It would have been a different story in the UK - I was the only Englishman again today, that is 4 times in a row so far.

image.jpeg

As I watched the boat approaching that was when I got my next surprise, yes it was the very boat I had overtaken on my bike then stopped to photograph. So here she is again, this time seen from the other side.

image.jpeg

Another shot follows prior to embarkation, I had decided I would sit on top on the port side and get some shots of Germany - please note the reduced sunshine in the above shot.

image.jpeg

Shortly after I had taken my seat on the upper deck I felt a spot or two of rain. No problem I thought a few drops won't hurt me. I settled in for the ride, decided whether to have a beer or not and decided against. I had seen a couple of really big barges coming round the corner behind the boat while waiting to board and shortly after we set off I was surprised when they both passed us, relatively going like the clappers and pretty darned big as well.

image.jpeg

Shortly after this the rain became both persistent and insistent and discretion being the better part of valor I beat a hasty retreat to the lower saloon. I joined a charming Belgian couple and enjoyed a pleasant chat and a kir. Shortly afterward the thunder and lightening kicked off.

I have just found that I have failed to transfer about a dozen pictures onto the iPad for posting so I will have to do a postscript to this either later tonight or maybe tomorrow morning, probably the morning. Sorry about that. So we will call it a late insert when it happens.

We got to where I expected the boat to stop and us all to join a coach back to the station but to my surprise the captain did a hand brake turn in the river and then shot us round the other side of the little island (on which there is a campsite, only. found out when I did my bike ride) where we disembarked and then a little walk through to the depot where we had paused on the way up to rejoin the train.

Loads more pictures and video and finally back into Helen at 18.30. I had put a note on the steering wheel to remind me to fill up at Intermarché with gazole. I had more than enough for the proposed journey tomorrow but I like having a full tank and here it was 1€17.9 a litre, so about a quid.

That's it for now, really I should go and have a shower as my hair is full of smuts but I am to lazy and fear I will wake to find my virgin white pillow case covered in smears. Oh dear.

More tomorrow plus of course the insert. Cheers Clive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
16/2 The missing pics!

Good morning, here are the missing pictures. First the second barge overtaking, this one was from Holland and carried something I guess rather unpleasant judging by all the warning panels and going quicker than the first but not quite as big.

image.jpeg

Next is a picture giving a clue about the rain framed by the charming Belgian couple (proud Walloons) who suffered so gallantly my 'allo, 'allo French.

image.jpeg

Next an atmospheric shot of the old Minster of Breisach

image.jpeg

The same location taken shortly after leaving the boat and making my way back to the train?

image.jpeg

The prism effect indicates the presence of moisture still but dry on the this the French side!

That's it for the insert, I hope you find the shots of interest. Shortly after the upload last night I retired to bed and soon after was treated to a monsoon deluge. It sounded as if the roof was being machine gunned. I though to myself this will demonstrate whether my rooflight replacement a day or two before I left really is watertight. I am pleased to say it very definately is!

Today when I report is a travel day, I do not plan leaving until around 10.00 and will update you later.

Thank you again for your interest. Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
17) lundi le 15 mai

Good evening from Le Mirroir camping at Les Hôpitaux-Neufs, in the Doubs. It is a beautiful sunny evening, temperature 24°C with a light breeze.

It has been a fabulous drive down here from Neuf-Brisach. I turned Doris on (NO) and set Pontarlier as the destination knowing she would want to take the autoroutes (no toll) and an arrival time of about 14.30. I did it my way despite her constant calls and I am so pleased I did. I elected to follow the D468 along the Rhin and at a place called Niffer I came across the Rhin/Rhone canal. So a picture of Helen in the parking first.

image.jpeg

Next an information panel which let me know what it was. Very satisfying as I had passed a number of 'écluses' but had not been able to stop safely and work out which way was up. When I saw this and the parking coming up on my side of the road it was too good an opportunity to miss. I was seeing so much which I would have loved to record and share but solo no chance (pity about the failed one).

image.jpeg

Next then the lock itself, sadly nothing in transit while I was there. It is a different world over here and I love it!

image.jpeg

I toyed with the idea of a cup of tea or a coffee but it was early yet. I would stop about 13.00 and have a bite as well.

The next shot shows Helen parked while I take lunch - some lunch, 6 Nairn's cheese flavour oatcakes with a whiff of Roquefort and a glass of elderflower bottle green - with glacons from my fridge. I am on a little parking area, just the pull off and a litter bin between Chevenez and Rocourt just inside Switzerland. I had passed through customs a little before Miécourt both the douanier and I laughed a lot, great fun.

image.jpeg

After lunch I was toddling along happily andI found a road sign that suggested it was going my way and spoke of Grottes and sites Prehistoric, mmm, I'll have some of that then, I thought. Oh boy, I turned left and instantly I was on a single track road with limited passing opportunities. I thanked goodness that I had lunched early at 12.45 and still had an hour fifteen of the obligatory 12.00 -14.00 French lunch break left to make my escape. Sorry no pictures until well I had just finished a long, long climb to be greeted by an hotel and various bits, noticed something about a girls school 25kms away and I was now plunging down hill, I mean plunging. I noticed some sort of a sign as I commenced my dive and I found it's sister a few hundred metres on. First Helen and the sign.

image.jpeg

Now the sign. I think I was OK as I had nothing to declare! But the way it was hidden in the bushes several mètres up from here you had no chance doing anything as you are already committed and backing up is not an option. The picture does not really do the gradient justice.

image.jpeg

The location if you have a Michelin France road atlas A3 format is page 96, it is in square B 4 (just had to edit this as it said before, these helpers can be a pain at times) and I see now the little symbol for it. I have to report that M. Michelin has been a little economic with his ink depicting the bends. They were many and interesting I spent some time contemplating my exhaust and fortunately only on this way down did I meet traffic coming up.

The views were fantastic and hopefully this panorama view will work!

image.jpeg

Well it has sort of but sadly you cannot see the rocks. After much twisting and turning I got to somewhere like the valley floor and joined the D437C towards St Hippolyte. I simply had to stop and take a couple of shots by the EDF barrage.

image.jpeg

A hint of the rocks at the top of the photo. I cannot begin to tell you the pleasure I had seeing the beautiful rock formations and travelling through gorges, my only sadness was not being able to stop or realising too late that there was a pull in I could have taken. I may have to retrace my steps sometime during the week.

Some little while after the above photo I arrived at Pontarlier where I wished to visit Lidl, the reason being I had purchased a 'tapis de sol' on my way from Abreschviller to Neuf-Brisach which I had used twice and it had failed. I did not want to deviate unecesarily on my route and this one was ideally placed. My faulty unit was replaced with no quibble and I picked up a few bits for the coming days.

I left Pontarlier on the N57 towards Neufchâtel and Lausanne and a few kilomètres out I was confronted by the subject of the next picture the Château de Joux. I was so pleased to find a parking area and be able to take the final shots of this report.

image.jpeg

The picture does not do it justice. I have never visited this area before and I am so pleased I decided to move on and come here because the sites have been fantastic. I have much to explore. Final picture is of Helen posing before cliffs.

image.jpeg

That concludes today's selection. I hope you enjoy the views. Tomorrow I will be exploring my immediate area, probably on foot or with my hybrid bike I will see what the morrow brings. I think I should also give a little summary on the various campsites I have used with a simple format. I will review that in due course.

Thank you for following, I think I am either higher than or nearly higher than Snowdon at this campsite.

:france::wine:Clive:wine::france:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Clive I've just caught up! It looks like you gave found the sun and do glad your hekis stayed dry! Loving the photos and descriptions of your days. Helen is behaving herself!!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
18) mardi le 16 mai Les Hôpitaux-Neufs, Doubs

Good afternoon those following, an earlier than usual report today as it has become a lazy sort of rest day. I was awake quite early and tried to listen to Steve Allen on LBC but sadly it was cutting in and out on the internet so I gave up and made a cup of tea, all this about 05.30 CET. I had retired early, unintentionally, I was watching the A team in French and the next I knew it was somewhere around midnight so I assembled the necessary and slipped into my naked shell for the rest of the night! (sorry to much information, you'll just have to indulge the old fool).

The campsite here is good and comfortable well appointed not only is it located very close to the Chemin de Fer I intend to travel on this Dimanche à 1500 mais, it is also 'apparently' next to the proving ground for various motorcycle racing variants devoid of silencer plus the saloon car Peuguot 204/5 sawn off exhaust rally cross aspirants. I am a pensioner some 7 years now of a former occupation and I suspect my French counterparts are required to deal with far more fatals than I did whilst wearing a Cornetto salesman's hat. Though perhaps with four times the area for the same population maybe it is not so bad.

Today's opening picture was taken around 0845 when I finally surfaced (this retirement is great, should have done it years ago, may not have lost the fairy then (yes I would major problem)). I don't know if the moon shows up in this shot but I saw it as I stepped out later, I feel some strange affinity with the moon, don't ask me why and you can pay for the shrink.

image.jpeg

Ah, not there in that one. I am having to do this early because I am submitting to the charms of Rosé Gris (my mothers maiden name - Grey not Rosé) and I fear another early submission.

Following breakfast and spending an age trying to find a lead to link my imitation GoPro to the tv I gave up. My PC will shortly be having its hard drive removed and I will be attacking it with the Glaswegian spanner I have with me. There is a big Leclerc at Pontarlier a short drive away and its imminent replacement is on the cards.
So, it was time to take a stroll partly to locate my Sunday amusement and also to get another box of the Intermarché muesli I like - the GPS said it was 2km away on the Lausanne road so no worries. The next picture is what I will be here for on Sunday but I was quite surprised that what must be the pride of the fleet is left totally accessible by all and sundry just like that. Mind you, it made me happy, I have found enjoying steam trains much easier to achieve than understanding women - particularly Fairies.

image.jpeg

I must have looked a bit of a sight but no matter, just another Anglais in sandals, shorts, t shirt and a hat he bought in Saint Lucia. I wandered up toward l'église which is pictured next with its "cattle trough", unwittingly when I was composing (a loose term in my connection) this shot, I was beside a pedestrian crossing, normally the source of a suicide attempt but une charming jeune française, stopped so I could cross, we swapped glances briefly, became friends in an instant. and she was gone. L'église -

image.jpeg

I wandered on up the road in the general direction of Intermarché and found a number of 'renovated' dwellings incorporating an indication of their history ...

image.jpeg

So, I wandered up passing the Gendarmerie et l'école to Intermarché mais aussi a restaurant

image.jpeg

The bike had seen better days. Then into Intermarché where I bought the essentials, this Intermarché was quite different appearance wise to the others I have visited over many years having an apparent timber cladding.

image.jpeg

Having bought the essentials (plus a few non essentials) I made my way back toward Helen. Walking back I had to pass l'école, not maternale mais très jeune. Just before I got to it an autocar arrived and a number of young children maybe 5-6 year olds with their teachers came out to join the bus. Like any polite anglais, I stopped and waited for them to board the coach. There is always a cheeky one and sure enough une petite jeune fille dit "Bonjour", I had to smile and reply "bonjour" not only to her but a number of other et la maitrêsse.

I spotted a sign that suggested it was following the curve of the hill (though technically above 3000 feet it is a mountain and I was well above that) and thought I would find a set of steps I had seen earlier. Sign below

image.jpeg

I followed the road, constantly looking to my right for the steps down toward the camping and passed the next little sign, little knowing that I would be coming back here a kilomètre or so later for those very steps.

image.jpeg

So after wandering (blundering) along I realised that the road had turned and was not going to deliver me to the campsite. Turned around and back to the above sign. Shortly after I found myself descending the steps I thought I was looking for. As Homer (yellow cartoon, not Greek) would say Doh!

A view, not necessarily in sequence because the muscle relaxant is taking effect ...

image.jpeg

Finally back to Helen, where for the first time this year I unrolled my Caravanstore Zip to afford some protection while penning (that can't be right in this .com age) these words.

Next picture is Helen, can't be a petticoat so must be a blouse extended exposing her bare midriff ... and chest !!!

image.jpeg

à demain mes amis

(trop de rosé)

:france::wine::france:Clive:france::wine::france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
19) mercredi le 17 mai

Good afternoon for Les Hôpitaux-Neufs

it has been another fabulous day here today. I was awake early and again Steve Allen was a bit broken on the Internet (I wish I could share with you the sound I have just experienced of a young suicide victim on his motorcycle getting through 3 gears in the blink of an eye, I was not able to see him or maybe her, but sooner or later he/she will wrap themselves round something solid and unforgiving and a plod like I used to be will be delivering the message to the sad mother who always exclaimed "why him (and probably nowadays) her, he/she was .... thank goodness I was not born female there is no way I would have been able to cope with that. Any way back to today's feature ....

So as a change from muesli I opted to dunk 4 Herta frankfurters in boiling water for 4 minutes (Bannister's mile) and made tea etc. Following this exciting repas I decided that I would secure one of my fire extinguishers to the frame of the front passenger seat using a couple of jubilee clips (on the mounting, not the extinguisher) but of course it is not as simple as that as it was necessary to remove the remaining hideous carpet from under the seat. I decided it would be easier to remove the "captains" seat (sorry I always sat on the left except when training others) but of course I can only remove the upper bit but got the job done and refitted the seat. Needed to scrub the Lino next having removed the remaining wonderful foam underlay that had backed the hideous carpet. It seemed almost virginal as it lay there basically white and pure (bit like me).

All these little things of course take time and cause frequent tangents prolonging the job. Around midday all was done and I elected to change the loo, have a really good shower and wet shave. I was in the men's showers - they are clearly marked, language is not a barrier. My intention after the shower was to attend the adjacent wash basin and sort out my shave and remaining teeth - I had considered doing this au natural but fortunately for no known reason elected to put my dressing gown on. Emerging from my cubicle I found a pretty young blonde woman attending to her toilet a couple of sinks away - we exchanged greetings and attended to our respective ablutions. Thank goodness this is France, it would have made 4 pages in the Mail.

Prior to my douche I had got my hybrid Specialized bike of the rear rack for my afternoon 'ride'. It would be, according to the Internet be only 2.5 KMS and about an hour, climbing 150 metres. It was 6.57 kilomètres and took an hour seventeen. While I took lunch I heard some young people screaming and laughing with excitement above me (I had indulged myself with a smile reliving the pleasures of that long lost youth). Picture of where they were follows, this was taken when I had got back and had seen why the excitement. They and later I, were between the pylon and the house.

image.jpeg

Doesn't look much does it, well I can tell you it was from personal experience. Next shot is from up there on my alleged ride looking down at Helen.

image.jpeg

This was a stoney uncomfortable path which in the picture above I was trying to cycle up - with difficulty but on my return was even worse. It was the 'red' route, possibly significant.
A little while and many calories later I emerged into the next picture, I could not wait around but while there, I did not see Heidi or Julie Andrews (though I suspect both have aged to much for that nonsense now).

image.jpeg

The next picture shows my bike lying at the side when I decided that riding up hill over loose boulders had to stop no matter how many gears I have got and I was going to walk up this bit from now on. The gradient probably won't look like much but the sweat was pouring down the inside of my sunglasses and despite Garmin claiming on my return that my maximum heart rate was 153 bpm I am sure it must have been a lot more!

image.jpeg

I took a swig of my SIS concoction here and realised that one bidon was not enough - to late now! I carried on upwards and was able to remount before the next steep climb - I saw on my return that there was a way round it but hindsight is wonderful. The next picture is the bike again this time by a sign post giving the altitude and the various routes. I was on the red one!

image.jpeg

Would never have got the Cannondale up this lot. Glad I brought the Specialized for my 'off road' moments. Sorry the next shot is a selfie having finally made it up to the cable car station I wanted proof that I had done it (I will sleep well tonight, not sure how the old legs will feel tomorrow).

image.jpeg

I was wearing (a loose term) two layers on top, the outer of which was undone as this was warm work! The next shot is taken (having stopped) on my way down. It is taken shortly after launching downward, I think it is, well I haven't a clue, just looked at my departmental map, that was no good and nor was Google, I subscribe to IGN, I'll have a quick look there. Back in a mo. Sorry, no good, the only thing I can say with certainty is that it is definitely not Mont Blanc!

image.jpeg

The pretty view above gives no indication of the ride that followed where my back wheel was constantly locked and my sphincter was practising the three penny bit half a crown routine. I am confident that there are a few of you out there who have experienced the sound of small stones being pinged off your wheels and richocheting all around. Of course we are not wearing undies under this sculpted Lycra so one must remain 'tight'! Couple this with the ' I don't remember coming up this bit' when I realised I had gone off on a tangent and had to retrace my steps. Any way finally ended up back at base.

I sit here now under the 'awining' composing this and regretting my failure to buy more wine. I may have to walk to Intermarché yet. No, I will sacrifice myself, have pizza and a cup of tea.

I have no idea what I am doing tomorrow (though may not have had much of a clue today) looking forward to posting.

:france:Clive:france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
20) jeudi le 18 mai Les Hôpitaux-Neufs, Doubs

Good afternoon friends, not a lot for you today (possibly a relief to some).

It rained heavily overnight and was giving the odd shower for a short time this morning but nothing after 09.00. I had decided that today would be another tinkering day given the forecast and duly set about installing a more permanent power source for Doris and save me having a lead trailing across the 'dashboard'.

These works were punctuated by tea and coffee plus the odd look on here. I am trying to refrain from putting my two penny worth in to often as I seem to kill some of the threads stone dead or set off the odd quarrel - never my intention.

During one of these 'breaks' I popped the local news on. I learned two things quickly one was how to say Métabief and the second was that, that, was where my cycling took me yesterday. Not only that but where I had been is the scene this weekend of regional VTT championships of some sort. No wonder I found bits of it hard work and it explains all the tents and things being erected in the valley.

Another thing I learned today was that yesterday's mystery rock is Mont D'Or. The campsite has been a hive of activity today and I suspect it is going to be chokka block this weekend because of the event. That will not be a problem to me as on Saturday morning I am going to drive over to Neufchâtel, Suisse and visit a site of peculiar interest to me. On my way back I will divert into Pontarlier and get a few essentials from Lidl and Aldi. Sunday is train Vapeur in the afternoon so I will be hanging around the station like a bad smell.

Around 15.00 I decided that I needed some salad items and elected to stroll up to Intermarché so today's only picture is walking up there by a slightly different route.

image.jpeg

While in Intermarché having picked up the necessary salad material and a baguette I noticed a Rosé on offer and because it had a glass stopper which meant it could be refilled or the stopper saved and used in other 'donor' bottles I succomed. To test my theory it was necessary to obtain more wine but possibly of a more portable nature whereby I could refill the original bottle. The consequence was that I bought a small (3 litre) box of a reasonably priced Buzet, a wine I had been introduced to by one of my old flight examiners whilst visiting the sim at Toulouse. I am sure the experiment will work but feint hearts never one battles.

Leaving the store I was amazed to see a woman who I used to work with over 10 years ago, I could not think of her name straightaway and started to follow her to say hello. Then I thought hang on, in 10 years even I have aged a little and this woman looked exactly as I remembered her so I thought better of it and left. Another question to which I will never know the answer.

Walking back I could not help but notice my baguette was sort of leaning out of my bag looking very phalic, I had to look away each time as it made me laugh. Fortunately I did not meet anyone to embarrass myself.

Sitting here typing (or should that be entering) this, it is a gorgeous afternoon, the sun is shining the only disturbance is the man with the strimmer.

I will close this now, with no idea what the morrow may bring.

All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi everyone

Slim Pickens today I'm afraid. Poured all night and much of this morning then it turned to snow, fortunately not laying at my level (about 3,580 feet) but is was further up. That changed to sleet and finally rain before at the moment it seems to have stopped. If it stays stopped long enough I hope to roll up my Caravanstore zip when dry as I wish to go out for the day tomorrow.

One of the best investments I have made was the fiamma yellow screw down kit - about £15 I think from Johns Cross (though of course when I bought it I was so excited I forgot all about our discount - merde), this little bit of kit ensured that during the slightly strong winds overnight and this morning said Caravanstore did not escape over the roof or anywhere else. I particularly like the fact there is a socket to go in my electric drill to screw them in. Well done Fiamma. Sadly I am not receiving any back handers but I am pleased to report that my fiamma bike cover is also working very well and it has been subjected to some quite interesting conditions over the last 3 weeks. I have read of others on here moaning but I have to concede that so far my experience has be most positive.

Another thing I feel very positive about is Helen. She may be 35 years old but I am amazed at how well she is coping. It is bone dry in here. It did become noticeably 'bloody' cold this morning - I deferred rising until nearly 09.00 and listened to old episodes of the life scientific on R4 iplayer. But my vintage Truma is ticking all the boxes. I have had to turn it down. I have to say that the build quality of this old bird is fantastic as is the layout.

I am limiting myself to this forum/thread for my daily diatribe but I am reading with amusement the reports of rain by others in the Continetal Touring - France bit, Lenny HB (is that head banger or is he a pencil, whatever he is I am a great admirer of the work and quality of work he has carried out on his beautiful motorhome - an inspiration to me and probably us all), also DBK, some great pictures and good humour. His avatar looks a bit mmm, but the reports amuse me. I read them all as I am a motorhomefun addict.

Before I hang up and throw myself into the arms of Rosé (well she don't have any arms but renders me armless after a couple of glasses) a big happy birthday to @movan, well done have a great day. I did put a like up but I think this is more personal.

Should be a report from Suisse tomorrow lets see what the weather brings. Thanks for reading, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
22) samedi le 20 mai

Hello my faithful few, thank you for indulging this old fool. Today has been a great day. Yesterday while working out where I was going to go next - I did not think for a moment that my targets for the last week of mai would not be operating until the very end of Juin. So, I sat and had a revue. From the previous account you will have learned that my intention was to go Suisse aujourd'hui.

I do hope this will not bore you all to death!

Up earlyish shower, breakfast and around 08.30 I set off for Saint Sulpice near Fleurier, Suisse. I had done some googling and found that the depot of the Vapeur Val de Travers was open to the public on a samedi matin between 10.00 and 12.00. I was there at 09.15, and what a fabulous journey I had there, it was like being on one of those travel channel Swiss Mountain Railway programmes from donkey's years ago. The drive alone was fabulous but sadly no Dashcam, merde. Then as I descended the mountain through two short tunnels I saw the target.

Arriving, I saw to my surprise that a 0-6-0 tank engine appeared to be in steam. As far as I knew nothing was happening today. I parked up, grabbed a camera and rushed over to take a picture before it was to late. I introduced myself to the personnel and explained the purpose of my visit. Doreen, who should show up in one of the eventual photos was extremely helpful. I was given free run - and I took it, I have never filled a 32gb card before but I managed today, talk about a mad dog with tripe. Better stick a picture in before you all fall asleep. So first of all here is what UK or USA types would call the 0-6-0 T (the Whyte notation is not used on the continent as we know it).

image.jpeg

This shot was taken just as they were about to load the bunker with coal by way of a rail mounted JCB. The young man standing on the roof will a few hours later be our driver and the son of a gentleman whose name I have sadly failed to remember. These wonderful people treated me like the prodigal son. The man whose name I have forgotten will appear in another photo shortly because they had a problem with the Westinghouse pump, which provides the air for the air brake system on the train. One of the piston rings had failed and it was necessary to replace it, which they did while I was there. Memories of a former life, probably best consigned to the bin, came back. To me, a steam locomotive is a living breathing thing. It has to be coaxed and listened to, warmed and caressed - no hop in and turn the key, this thing is alive and you can see it all there in the flesh. When the boiler is up to pressure it makes sounds like a heart beat, ok I better shut up quick or I will have no followers at all. Let's see if I can find a picture of the father and son sorting out the pump.

image.jpeg

No, not this one. Anyway they sorted it and I chatted with them. All the chaps simply spoke to me in French but Doreen spoke excellent English but I resisted and continued to abuse the French language - it was fun.

image.jpeg

This shot shows a large German 2-10-0 built in the early 40's during the Second World War the engine above had pulled it out of the depot so that the smaller engine could access the pit to oil up the underside. Being familiar with English engines I was surprised to find the area above and between the frames was sheeted over - this is a real learning and trip of a life time for me. I took lots of video which I don't think I can upload at the moment and I have also taken shed loads of shots with the other cameras.

As you can imagine, time was marching on and lunch time approached. The train would not be leaving until 14.10. so I would be staying to film its departure. I took a short lunch and returned to monitor and photo events. To my amazement the team insisted I join the train for the journey - a private charter, I accepted gracefully in a heartbeat hence using up all my SD card with video which I can't share - yet!

image.jpeg

See if you can guess which country I am in from the above photo.

Because I have to do some juggling the pictures are limited at the moment but there could be a supplement (bless you).

Reflections

image.jpeg

Amazingly this line I travelled on ran for about 2 kilomètres and then joined the SBB FRR mainline and ran on the main line and back for the journey. I am trying to do all this on my iPad but I fear I am going to run out of memory so over the next week or so I am going to have to do something - particularly as I think I got some great shots of the Suisse countryside.

No, I am going to have to call it a day there sadly - some may be relieved.

A good drive back to the campsite to find someone had elected to park their little car on my spot. Quickly found them and got it moved. I may have to get a plate made up with reserved on so that people can understand. It is funny on another thread I was reading about Aire etiquette they talked of the English spreading out, well my dears it ain't just the English.

Tomorrow is an easy start but sorry another train ride. I bought a base ball hat with a train on for me today and two or three years ago my friend Lawrence had got some Absinthe in Spain and I watched while staying with Sarah and Dennis as he dripped it from height into a glass. Lawrence had to do it properly and as this is where it is from I bought him a bottle, 45€00, I hope he likes it because I don't !

See you tomorrow thanks for bearing with me.

Clive

I can't believe how lucky I am.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
23) dimanche le 21 mai

Good evening everyone

Another beautiful day over here in Doubs. This afternoon's main event was not due to kick off until 15.00 so it was a bit of a lazy morning. I elected to give all the inside imitation wood surfaces a wipe over - could not remember if I had done it before so just in case. Whether I had or not they needed it. I decided I would use the "collapsible bucket" I'd bought at the same time as I bought the collapsible draining board thing @minxygirl made me buy.

The bucket was alright, this was the second time I have used it and it opens up no worries but it is a pain in the ear to collapse when you have finished. I suspect I will be donating to some unsuspecting soul soon.

The bottom of Helen's habitation (and only) door is a little sad so I removed the ventilator and had a look. I think I will replace the whole internal wood panel with a new piece of ply, I have formed the impression, possibly erroneously that I will be able to slide the old one out for a pattern - evidence suggests that it is no longer, if ever bonded to the foam filling. Gave the vent cover a good scrub and refitted. Put the tools away and staggered up to the station to check the state of play. After the lovely ride yesterday I elected for this to be a picture and video day. It did not quite turn out as planned but that is my fault. So to the first picture, this is locomotive No 5 who has been on before but today's picture has her in beautiful sunshine and alive and warm not cold and dead.

image.jpeg

Having checked everything I wandered back to Helen, the next shot is overlooking the campsite looking towards the area where the VTT completions was taking place. Métabief.

image.jpeg

I made my way along the road to scout out one of my intended locations but when the footpath gave out I returned to Helen who was waiting patiently. Bikes and Caravanstore stowed just the folding chair out.

image.jpeg

The camera these pictures were taken with was later mounted on a tripod and used for video (not an outstanding success) so the other stills on the DSLRs have not migrated to this iPad yet. Perhaps I ought to start using the laptop. Mmm, the final shot was taken while I was just sitting on the grass bank waiting for the train to return (about an hour).

It was a good time. I had set everything up and was able to just sit. I was able to look at the flowers, the sky, the trees, I was on the verge of meditation and the world was just right. I could hear the Tannoy of the VTT competition a little way away but it was not intrusive. For some minutes I watched three birds of prey circling and swooping above me. I think they must have been fledglings from this year, the manoeuvres looked as if they were practicing but never once was there an attack. I had left the big telephoto behind so no picture sadly. Here though is the last one, taken with my iPhone. The trees, they were so vibrant, so full of colour and so sharp. Just "so"

image.jpeg

I wandered back to Helen and found my neighbours sitting out and exchanged greetings, chatted for a few moments then they invited me to have a bière with them and we chatted for another hour and a half, this has to be good for my French. We were joined by the campsite gardienne and another neighbour during this time. No effort was made to speak English so it was sink or swim, the water wings seemed to be holding up but I think they need a bit more air in them!

Tomorrow will be a travel day, only around 90km and back tracking a bit to Maîche where I will spend about a week having had to adjust my Suisse plans. There are some amazing Grottes to visit so there should not be any shortage of pictures and better still, no trains!

Will keep you in the picture. Hope you are all having as good a time as I am. Should have done it years ago!

à bientôt Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
24) lundi le 22 mai

Beinvenue

An interesting day today. Up quite early with the intention to go to the municipal camping at Maîche, more or less following my tracks back toward St Hippolyte. About 7 km oustsied Pontarlier I joined the queue behind a tractor pulling a baler. The driver, I never found out which sex ,took every opportunity to fail to pull into a suitable area so the queue could pass. I was about twenty back and when I checked my mirrors I was very close to the front! I like to think that is was because of this "professional" driver I failed to remember to take the D437 and ended up following the N57 which I did not wish to do. When an opportunity arose I pulled over and check M. Michelin map and saw the D41 would pull me over towards my intended route a little after St-Gorgon-Main and I duly took the turning. What a lovely road, superb views and negligible traffic. The first to photos are on the D41, one looking forward and one back.

Sorry all pictures will have to be attached when I am out and about tomorrow I think, where I am it is showing 2G, this is the first time I have ever seen 2G. I will finish of the story and see if there is anything I can up load!

After a thoroughly pleasant drive up to Maîche which included a significant diversion along the D242 as the D41 was completely closed for resurfacing. I arrived at Maîche and made my way to the campsite. It was just gone 12.00 and the office is only open from 10.00 to 12.00 and 17.00 to 19.00. Never mind I thought there is usually a note saying pick an emplacement get set up and we'll see you later. There was nothing of the kind and it all felt, to me unwelcoming so someone needs to address the front of house staff and information. I elected to go to the nearby Intermarché and get some salad stuff and fill with gazole. Went into the shop picked up the bits and then negotiated my way into the Station Service, it is after 12.00 and before 14.00 so it is pay at pompe. Stuck my card in to be greeted by "Carte mouette", having experienced this before, it simply means it can't read the card but I suspect the cashier has not fully switched the pumps in their absence to secure their jobs.

Sadly for you Maîche any time and money I intended to spend in you had now gone out of the window. I manoeuvred myself out of the pompes and had a look at my map. If I followed the D464 I could go towards somewhere called Charquemont so I will go that way they will probably have a 24/7 pompe attached to something. Well not as far as I could see. A sign said there was a Super U at Le Russey so I chopped onto the D414 and made my way over there. I arrived a little before 14.00. I sat and looked at the map and started to think - dangerous!

The superU was excellent but I did not spend much though did not mind the experience. I made my way to the Station Service and filled up with Gazole, a cent cheaper than Maîche and also filled my 5 litre petrol container with 95 octane. Today I would be losing my virginity as regards France Passion and my untouched Honda generator would have its first ever run.

When I came out of SuperU I had first looked at All the Aires and did not see anything that ticked the boxes so I looked in France Passion. If you have the 2017 edition and go to the bottoms of page 215 you will see Fournet Blancheroche, Les Louisots. I had decided I would go there and this would be my first time using France Passion.

The directions would be more helpful if they said that when you get to the church square, turn right, they don't and I did not, having not passed or even seen a cemetery and done well more than my 1.5km I needed to find somewhere to turn, as I approached the turning point the views of the rock were fantastic and when I pulled in to turn round I tried to take picture but it was to far on for the best view. The 2G seems to have finish downloading everything before this so I may be able to upload a picture or two yet.

At the turning point I decided to load the GPS coordinates, They are wrong, I must note where I am and send them a correction. You can not enter the Easterly value given in the book. So I did it by address and finally made it. I have to say the access is a single track road and I was very happy to meet no one.

There is a large herd of cows adjacent to where I am all wearing their bells. The cacophony has stopped at th moment as they have all laid down. It is not an unpleasant sound, as yet!

So, it is confusing here. Time seems to have moved back 2 hours as far as the tv is concerned. I only get 9 channels and they are Suisse French, Suisse German and the odd one out Suisse Italien. Though I am still in Department 25 Doubs I have no French French!

So far so good. I was asked if I wanted to ear with them tonight, I said no as it had been a last minute thing and I had bought food which could not be wasted but that I would tomorrow.

Honda had her first start with brand new oil and fuel etc and is chugging away outside. She is driving the charger and fridge at the moment and external noises are overcoming hers.

Stone the crows, a panel conversion has arrived on German plates.

Right, I will see if I can upload some pictures. There may be nothing.

Until next time - probably tomorrow Clive

and there is not so, I will do a supplement tomorrow when out and about!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 25) mardi le 23 mai

Good nearly afternoon from beside the Doubs at the border with Switzerland. First I will upload the pictures from yesterday then the ones I have taken up to now with an update for today. I will be staying at the same place tonight but more on that after yesterday's pictures.
The first is taken on the D41 looking towards Longemaison (I found Longemaison-la Gare very pretty but nowhere to stop sadly).

image.jpeg

The next shot from the same location is looking back towards Saint Gorgon Main.

image.jpeg

Sadly that is it for most of the en route photography as the next few are from after I had missed my turning and of the France Passion I stayed at last night.

First of all as you will know from yesterday's picture free report, it dawned on me I had missed my turn and the next picture was taken from the layby where I turned, not as brilliant as one I could have taken further up but I would have probably become road kill if I did. It is taken from about 1000 feet above where I am now and is one of the reasons I am here today.

image.jpeg

I turned around and set off in the correct direction for my stop. The GPS coordinates are correct, I simply needed to change the set up on the Garmin! As an old fart, I still work in old fashioned degree, minutes and seconds. Now if I am to use this guide for any more I have adjusted it for today's digital Lat and long. Next then the France Passion at Fournet Blancheroche.

image.jpeg

This first view looking towards the herd of I don't know what breed cows with their bells (the bells were no problem last night, I don't know if they went inside or stayed out but I slept like a log. I think my body is compensating for a working life that consisted of earlies and lates). The next is taken at the back.

image.jpeg

The red thing is a tractor mounted rotavator I think.

After a good nights sleep I took great care not to disturb anyone this morning as I cleared up etc. I took the trouble to read the beginning of the FP book and found out that they are essentially one day stop overs and free, though you can often purchase something if you wish - I remember now after reading the reports by others, as our old mate Homer would say 'Doh'. I will be staying there tonight and I will be taking dîner with them about 19.30.

First of today's pictures was taken on the descent to where I am typing this. I have travelled 9 km to get here but as the crow flies it would be about 4km. I am as I said about 1000 feet lower and it took a long time getting down here and I know it will take a long time getting back up.

image.jpeg

The next one is taken with this iPad from where I am sat typing this.

image.jpeg

Overlooking the Doubs, the frontier is to my right over a bow spring bridge which will feature shortly. Over the lake first.

image.jpeg

The view above is over the lake towards the "French" side. The next is looking 'down' the lake as the Doubs flows through towards Eschelles de la Mort.

image.jpeg

The following shot is the first showing the bridge and includes the concrete sentry box we have all seen so often in those old films. No fancy chevrons or anything on this one though.

image.jpeg

Next a picture of the bridge itself. Through the lattice you can see the Suisse border post.

image.jpeg

Next shot looking across the lake (or is it just a wide river here?) towards one of the rock outcrops on the French side.

image.jpeg

Now a view along the Doubs looking South Westerly with Switzerland on the left and France on the right.

image.jpeg

The penultimate shot shows the cutting through the rocks and the entry to France.

image.jpeg

The last shot of this upload shows the information panel in the car park where I am about to take lunch.

image.jpeg

That is it for now. The Internet speed down here has been very quick. Maybe something later otherwise next update tomorrow from I know not where.

Clive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Post script today.

After great time at Doubs, returned via Bricomarché à Maîche, wanted a tea towel holder and a couple of other bits, ended up with a roll of masking tape - I intend to use this to edge my mosquitos netting on the kitchen and rear windows as I am using the hook part of Velcro to attach it.

For the first time I have been to a cimetère and uplifted my water. Because I thought I would be using the municipal camping at Maîche I did not bother to top up my water when I left Les Hôpitaux-Neufs hier. That all changed after staying France Passion hier. I now have filled my 23 litre under sink 'tank' my spare tank 23 litres, my Thetford 165 (some of us don't enjoy the later pull out cassette jobs) done the washing up and have half a 11 litre watering can in hand. I don't know if the two women at the cimitère were regarding me with sympathy or suspicion as I went back and forth to the tap!

Back at my original France Passion tonight, now I understand the rules and will be taking a meal with our hosts tonight about 19.30. Sadly I am already well on my way through a bottle of rosé so my French will either be very good or just another Anglais drunk.

I will be in Switzerland on Saturday but coming back for Sunday, while visiting the cemetery this (ah the cows are off to be milked, it is like quasi modo on steroids), I noticed a sign, wish I could post it but this is slower than dial up, saying there is a meeting of old vehicles at the salle de fêtes on dimanche, so I am coming back Sunday morning and I intend to take part! It is at Charquemont maybe I'll get a rosette!

Bye for now, I am really saddened by the events in Manchester, it makes me feel guilty having such pleasure when such misery is being visited on so many. I don't have an answer but was able to listen to a very interesting four thought a while ago when a far more learned person than I highlighted our (western) medalling in the affairs of cultures so totally alien to our own. He struck a chord with me, thank goodness I have been able to enjoy the liberties I have. I fear only draconian measures on a level never seen before will do anything and then it will only be the pause button. It is time that we as a people woke up and realised that our culture is quite alien to most other cultures and we should not meddle in those others. I am privileged to be able to be travelling in a country in which I feel at home, more so than the country of my birth and here the culture is different to that 20 miles across the channel. I can not give an answer to the worlds problems but our (USA and UK semi lapdogs) are not the answer. We may not like what we see but perhaps it is time to stop trying to impose our values on them. Some of the cultures go back far longer than our Flint napping ancestors.

Oh dear, hope I can do pictures tomorrow.

Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loving reading about your journey and the stunning photos! I love the old steam trains . Thank you for taking the time.
I'm intrigued to know how your meal went and how much of their wine you bought!! And tried!!
Safe travels.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 26) mercredi 24 mai

Good evening all,

This post could take a little while to compose and upload. You all know the story so far, so first a reports on last nights meal. Which was very good (and a little under 27€00) so almost the equivalent of my weekly shopping bill at the moment. As I said it was very good, a choice of lapin (no chance) or porc pâté to spread on the homespun bread, very yummy. Thank goodness I was in company so I could not disgrace myself. I am unable to drink red wine so ended up with a small glass of Chardonnay which was acceptable but rather limited in quantity (mind you, as I type this yesterday's rosé residue is about to run out and that's it - more of that later).
Main course was sauté potatoes with beef (their own) and champignons gathered from the adjacent field and forest. Very nice indeed. I like mushrooms but I would not trust me to pick the right ones so in the UK I am limited to Cheshunt button mushrooms in a tin (easy) or those plastic covered ones you know in the blue plastic tray with the film over. I have not had those for a long time on account of the fact I can't cook and my woman ran out on me (who'd blame her).
I was sharing the meal with my French fellow camping caristes and we all three had seconds. The cheese course was again made at the farm and 2013 vintage. It was hard and gorgeous - I like cheese, I was told what it was but when I wake up in the morning I don't know my own name.
Finally apple tart, I declined the coffee but my voisins took a thimble full each. The meal lasted about 2 hours, conversation was good and French and the late arriving couple from Strasbourg staying in the Gite joined in. A good time was had by all.

I retired and slept well. Awake reasonably early and several cups of tea. My intention was to leave at 10.00 and run the generator for about an hour before leaving just to give the fridge a chance. Somewhere around nine I heard the noise of things being thrown into a tin bin so had a look. Two men were on the roof of the barn/house demolishing a chimnée! No ladders, no scaffold, no bandstand, no anything. One was dislodging the blocks, passing them to the other who was chucking them into the front bucket of a jcb on its maximum extension. They were simply standing on the roof tiles. HSE would have gone loopy and I thought they must be farm hands doing the obligatory bodge job. The road was completely blocked by the jcb (public road) so fortunately for me some people wanted to get through at about 10.00 so I made my escape then. That was when I found out that these were not farm hands but 'professionals', their two large vans and tipper truck (all sign written) were around the back. You could not make it up. I set off to the cemetery where I would make sure all was secure having made my hasty escape.

I elected to go to Goumois on the border via Damprichard (sorry I kept thinking wet dick) it was a superb drive. After the D464, I was on the D201 and then the D437C. I was fortunate to be able to pull over on one part of the descent and take a picture.

image.jpeg

The view above is a little misleading as it looks as if I was about to hit the valley floor, not for a long time yet. The next picture is a panorama view taken at a little pull in with a panel describing everything. I took a photo of that as well but that will have to feature in a supplement when I am out and about tomorrow because these uploads take an age here.

image.jpeg

If you step over the edge from where this picture was taken, the next thing is the river at the bottom. The only thing to break your fall being a few hundred trees. I posted a picture of the border where I took coffee on the photo of the day thread early where there was a hispeed connection so I won't repeat it now.

I have decided to give up reporting today now as it is simply taking to long. To be continued ...

Clive

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Just caught up on the last few days love your photos am I jealous:sick: yes

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
The Internet seems to have picked up a bit so I will try a bit more. Next photo was taken from the swivel seat looking out the door while I took lunch. I was on my way to St Hippolyte.

image.jpeg

After lunch, some of you know from photo of the day I made my way to St Hippolyte where I took the last but one of the pitches. The other was quickly taken. I made myself tea and settled down for my freebee nightstop. After taking tea I would wander up to the nearby Supermarché and buy a baguette and perhaps some drink.

image.jpeg

Picture shows Helen in her box. The guide is correct, the pitches are by the river but the tall green stuff precludes seeing anything except through the odd gap. I do not have a special satelite antenna, that is just a street light.

Tea drunk I secured Helen and made my way to the Supermarché and I am glad I went the way I did because I saw a sign like the one below. Not the same sign because this one is where I ended up!

image.jpeg

That I am afraid blew it for St Hippolyte and I decided I would move on to Vaufrey where there were two camping car spots next to the river. So off I did jolly well went. Driving along the D437C I got that déjà vue feeling and sure enough I was on the road I had joined after my little excursion through Switzerland on my way down to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs. I smiled to myself and knew exactly where I was going to be parking up because I had considered it when I passed it on the way down. Hah, hah!

image.jpeg

I took the second of the two camping car reserved spaces, quite where you sleep in the one parked next to me is a bit of a mystery. This one does have beautiful views and apart from the suicidal motorcyclists is pleasantly quiet. I wandered off in search of a Boulangerie. In the sort of centre there is the four lions fountain, I removed the white plastic bucket and hid it before taking my shot.

image.jpeg

There had been a couple of boys playing in it as I approached. The building behind contained a milling grind wheel.

image.jpeg

I walked around the corner from this and the boys with others were just idling on the corner. There was a semi adult girl with them and I asked if there was a boulangerie nearby. The answer was no. Never mind, so I made my way back to Helen and sprawled on the grass to try and get some rays. Don't worry, no pictures of that. A couple of views of the river and I will call it a day. There are 5 camping cars here now and a tent. I am the only one in the official place. Bet they are muttering under their respective breaths (big breaths, yeath and ...)

image.jpeg

First the pont and second the view 'down river'

image.jpeg

It's just gone 19.45 and it is 27°C in here in the shade, doors and windows open. Thank goodness I could post these now. Don't know what is happening tomorrow except there will be shopping somewhere !

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 27) jeudi le 25 mai

Good evening from Vaufrey and what a lovely lazy day it has been. I have been nowhere and done nothing other than a little French revision and a lot of sunbathing while taking pictures of the Eagles and swallows (no amazons sadly). There has been a constant tooing and froing of assorted camping cars all coming along then seeing the trailer and going away again.

That was until about 16.30 when the Germans arrived. Nice couple I indicated the trailer was nothing to do with me but I thought it might be locked. I don't know the gentlemans name but he looked at it gave it a tweak and promptly pushed it into one of the empty car spaces and the frauline drove in. They have two great dogs, one old male one puppy female.
Every now and then there is a kerfuffle when they see another dog.

Today's picture taken looking towards the bridge

image.jpeg

Looks like the iPad did not like the white! With them parked next to me I knew it was safe to abandon Helen and walk along a couple of hundred maybe three metres and check out the adjacent camping municipal.
It is very cheap, I think the note said 6€00 for a camping car, 2 adults and including 2€00 for electric. Why did I say it was very cheap, well that is because it is a bit of a S**t hole, at least at the moment. I am not sure if the gardien/gardienne actually attends. The sign at the entrance is very nice, but as soon as you go in, wwwwwwhat? Sadly I didn't even have my phone with me to take pictures, so you will have to wait until tomorrow when I will take plenty (mind you someone's fairy godmother could visit overnight). My bottom. Everything is overgrown and unkempt but I will stay there tomorrow night. Use the cheap electric, empty the bog and grey waste, get the fridge nice and cold and clear of to Switzerland for Saturday but back to France so I can go to the vintage car show at Charquemont on Sunday, wild camping or winging it Sunday night then off to Switzerland Monday.

My plan is to put Helen in the campsite tomorrow midday and then clear off out on my bike for a while.

A pizza van turned up this evening (it's generator makes a lot of noise I can hear it from here - get a Honda but get the 2 kilowatt one.) so I ordered 4 seasons pizza and they had some Lambrusco so I bought a bottle of that. It did not have a screw top but a champagne cork so it looks like I will have to drink it all tonight - such a bind.

So remember, it is no good putting your towels on the sun beds because the Germans will move them.

All the best until tomorrow. Clive

Ps the garage on their Frankia is so big I think I could almost get Helen in there!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just spent too much time reading your thread when I should be sorting out the camper (and house) ready for our trip leaving early Sunday.
We are keeping to the East in France so will bookmark some of the places you have stayed.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 28) vendredi le 26 mai

Good afternoon from Maîche

Yes, I am at the campsite I turned my nose up at the other day but my initial plan A for today just was not viable even for me. Around elevenish I set of the few hundred mètres to the Camping Municipal to which I alluded yesterday. When I arrived this morning this is the picture from Helen at the entrance.

image.jpeg

I don't know if the truck and the man were there to remove the rubbish but from where I was sat it looked to me as if they (you cannot see the second man) were sifting through the rubbish to see if there was anything there they fancied. They very promptly and courteously moved the truck so I could get in. I drove around the bomb site, it was rather like the aftermath from a small thermo nuclear device that had been activated - airborne, no crater. I could not locate my dosimeter and get a reading. I thought to myself, no worries (Australian) mate, it's only tonight, you can empty the bog, chill the fridge and de louse yourself. I wish I had taken photos as I drove through the carnage and selected an emplacement adjacent to a power point (not). Having settled Helen I first of all got the power lead out so the fridge could start chilling the medicine cabinet (Amber nectar - a traditional remedy for many ills). All plugged in, or is that 'hooked up' looked in to check green light on Medicine cabinet. Mmmmm, return to power point - choice of 8 outlets, checked each in turn - most exercise for days, zilch. Sorry but that was it for camping municipal Vaufrey - a shame as tidied up, which I am sure they will, it could be a great little location. I reversed out of the emplacement and made my way to the exit. My 'friends' had resumed their toil and it was necessary to get the truck moved again.

I set off with no particular idea where I was going but I had the other 'free' sites circled on my map. As I passed my German friends from yesterday, I said NO, I had told them what it was like before they walked their dogs along there so they knew what I was talking about and laughed.

Instead of taking the D473C back towards St Hippolyte I took the C3, up the hill, about 7 kilometres to climb maybe 600 feet. Got to Courtefontaine, sorry no pics but a basic fountain and elected to take up the D134 to Indivillers which had two free spots and I hoped somewhere to evacuate Helen's bowels. I must say that the whole of the drive was absolutely fantastic, the views, the everything. Indivillers was a charming little place but I could not find the appropriate spot and decided ok, I will go to Maîche via wetwilly and surrender to the camping municipal there. I will call into Aldi on the way by pick up the bare essentials then just plonk myself on an emplacement and get plugged in.

image.jpeg

I know it looks scewhiff but the awning uprights are vertical I set them with my level and you can see they are parallel with the sanitation block. The order was, 1) plug in to mains 2) ventilation 3) set up Caravanstore 4) attend to Helen's bowels 5) wash up 6) a really good shower, shave and clean my teeth - the other sh not necessary at this juncture.

Another shot of Helen

image.jpeg

Finally a picture taken in response to the how do you keep your motorhome level thread. Lunch consisted of a packet of crisps and some fizzy yellowish liquid. You can see a very nice Cathargo on a UK '14' plate beyond the glass ( wanted to put pail but you know how it is ).

image.jpeg

That is it for now folks. Prè St Jean, Switzerland tomorrow then possibly back here tomorrow night - depends on the fridge.

à bientôt mes amis :france:Clive:france:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Back from my jobs to watch the last 10 k of today's Giro. Too hot here to do anything useful except hang the washing out. Loving your thread, I've made a note of the campsite:D2

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good evening my friends from a rather warm 29°c cimitère at Charquemont, Doubs (that is the temperature in here).

Had a fantastic day, such a shame the only way I can share it is through this column and I thank you faithfull followers for that. Unlike many I am prepared to swallow what is left of my pride and admit I was wrong about the Camping Municipal Maîche. As you know I ended up there yesterday afternoon. For 13€00 it was not bad. The shower was ohhhhhhhhh so good. (One of my copilots from long ago said I spent more time in the shower than his wife! Perhaps that is why he got rid of her), the electric was good and I met the couple with the very nice Cathargo. Such a wonderful couple they made me remember that all is not so bad in this tragic world. I bored the pants of the pair of them before finally allowing them to escape. They made me feel quite guilty about my lack of cycling (have you seen these hills), as I say a wonderful couple from Hayling Island.

I had, had quite a late night last night, not galavanting but listening to book of the week on the iplayer or whatever you call it. First I had listened to Kennedy's letters which was very interesting - those of us of a certain age! When they had finished I dropped into one called Golden Hill, well being from Dorset I thought I will give it a try. (Golden Hill, Shaftesbury - Hovis), anyway it had nothing to do with Dorset whatsoever but it caught my interest and I was hooked until the end 10 episodes - it was about 01.30 when it finished and it had my attention throughout which is pretty rare believe you me. I used to infuriate teachers because in their eyes I appeared to be day dreaming but I was just looking out the window - I had read the course work for the year while on my Summer holiday (we had to buy our own books) and I was listening I just did not need to actually look at the source of noise. So when they said to me E******** what did I say I gave it back to them verbatim. That for them was even worse because they had lost face in front of the class who would be burying their heads in the desks to avoid sanction. Nobody likes a smart ar**e, to bad it is an affliction I have had to learn to live with (I have no idea why people should feel threaghthend but what can I say, I can't help it - sadly though I do take some pleasure in the discomfort of my combatents). What on earth am I rambling on about - meanwhile back at the ranch....

I can't input the bird song but I awoke around 08.00 and dragged myself from my pit around 08.15, No 1 job kettle on, let's get some tea down my neck.

Breakfast taken I set about dismantling the 'camp', either Helen is going to get a wind out awning or she is going to be replaced. I was like Eric Sykes doing the ladder sketch getting my Caravanstore Zip wound back up, and maybe as I age I am not as strong as I once was. It was about then I met the gentleman from Hayling Island, finally his poor wife came out heading the search party to try and find him - after all he was only going to be gone a couple of minutes.

A quick picture from yesterday of the beautiful little church at Vaufrey

image.jpeg

Anyway, I realised that there was no need breaking my neck to try and be at Prè Petitjean for 10.00 because if if was shut when I got there I could wait for it to reopen at 1400 (in effect I found out arriving at 11.55, it did not actually close or for that matter reopen). I like the simple life. Now then, if you don't like trains you betters skip to the end of the article when I look at paella other wise here is an en route picture. Sorry, here it isn't because it is on the other camera and not uploaded into this area yet. So, instead it is off to the trains ...

image.jpeg

This beautiful little mètre gauge engine is a Mallet, I have a model very similar but that is a Meyer - I'll let you google it if you really want to know the difference. The people here were superb and went out of their way to accommodate an abscondee from which ever institution I had escaped. The most amusing part was in the shed, where the gentleman was trying desperately to speak anglais and I was replying in français. I don't think he twigged at all. The pictures of his locomotive are on the other camera and sadly not here yet.

I wandered lonely as a clown ...

image.jpeg

This was a lovely day for me, I will spare you many more shots of trains but I think back to watching the Travel Channel on Analogue satelite in the 90's and watching Swiss Railway Journies and here I am and it is just like the programme, I am so happy, I hope they never surrender their values and end up like us. What's next ...

image.jpeg

ah yes, the obligatory Helen view, it was quite warm and as you can see from the rubbish fly screen on the entrance there was little wind.

After a very pleasant few hours (including a sumptuous lunch) I made my way back to, well at that stage I was not quite sure, other than I would be at Charquemont for the old crocks dimanche. The next is a view travelling back toward the border with France

image.jpeg

I had pulled over to take the view letting the last of the latest swarm of motorcyclists pass. Don't get the wrong idea about me, I had a Honda super dream of my own and when working for part of my life I rode the BMW R80, a very comfy old machine though not gifted. It amused me with the boys (and girls)on their bikes as they would come screaming up to a feature and there I was bang on the best line, never mind manhole covers and all that, I felt quite guilty and would love to ride the old R80 again but like so many of my age I would become a borne again teenager and and wipe myself out. The advantage now is that there is no one left to care. I have two surviving brothers out of an initial parental out put of 6, 5 males 1 female and a daughter I have not seen for 24 years because of the appalling UK legal system - though she cost me a fortune and a house (sorry enough of that rubbish - it's all lies anyway!)

So, having read the threads about 'tanker strikes' though I have heard nothing really on the French TV or Radio news, I elected to go to Le Russey and fill up with diesel, fill up the Jerry can for the generator and pick up a few essentials. Having signed the pledge I picked up 20 bottles of 1664, 5 litres of a Garde rosé, a bottle of Buzet to decant into and a bottle each of muscodor rosé et blanc. A significant amount of water and some bread which I decided to give up - eventually but it is so, so. yummy! then to cap it all I bought another paella following the success of the one a fortnight ago

image.jpeg

I have absolutely no idea where tomorrow is going to end up but I do hope to be part of the old crocks show.

image.jpeg

That is it for now. My only regret is I am not able to share this with my fairy who chose to leave ....

Hope there is some junk for sale tomorrow! I am having a wonderful time, better still I do not feel any guilt and my intention is pleasure to excess.

À demain mes amis, Clive
:france::france: I knew a rosé once, well two of them actually but then perhaps I never knew eithe of them ...:wine::france::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loving reading your adventures and commentary very funny !
Cooking mushrooms is a doddle ! Wash chop finely butter in pan add mushrooms salt and pepper to taste and garlic if preferred!! Cook until golden!! Done!! ( but buy from a supermarket or market much safer!)
Safe travels Clive ! Helen is behaving herself this trip.(y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Great story Clive,thanks for telling it. And the lovely Helen is still looking so shiny and seductive,have you been polishing her?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am sorry to read of your long estrangement from your daughter, however at least one of your brothers does care about you and your lovely Helen. He did all that work on her for you after all. Is he following your thread here or do you keep him up to date with your travels somehow?
Glad to hear no talk of tanker strike, wouldn't want to be blockaded in Calais tomorrow and not let into France!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back