Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi John and Mary

Thank you for your support. I have put the bottles in the locker but not connected anything up yet. Probably on 14th when I am having a major push.

I had a very good trip back, went to Aldi and filled up at Sainsburys in the road works. Thank you both for the coffee and look forward to seeing you out and about. Very happy with the Gasit system.

Cheers Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Here is the latest bulletin on Helen

Back into the UK on Saturday - originally should have been back Friday night but 3 days of fog and playing catch up screwed that up. Arrived about midday and pleasantly surprised to see my brother Gary already there with various tools out of the back of his vehicle. Since she had arrived back nearly a fortnight ago the rear UK offside tyre had gone down - and he was preparing to remove it - check the rim and valve etc - he supplied and fitted so pleased to have him find it before me.

Going off on a tangent but related I decided to buy a tyrepal set for her, I could not find the original posting about the reduced price (I think it was before Christmas) and as I type this I have an idea there is/was a Funster discount, to late now, I await delivery of the 99.99 solar powered one as I think any warning of a possible problem early on is a good move.

It was an afternoon of odds and sods - fitted an external 240/12v outlet on the awning side. Fitted the awning to the upper awning rail (mistake, need to fit it to the one above the windows - will do that Monday next, my only day with her before the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry on 27th). Fitted body mounting points for awning legs (awning is a Caravanstore zip). Fitted new DAB radio, replaced broken ariel, adjusted mounts for bike rack (incomplete as my eBay bargain was missing some lower fittings but I have a solution and will deal with that on 23rd). Removed old carpet - will be using original floor and throw down mat(s) if necessary (easier to sweep clean). Went to fit the "new, old stock bargain from eBay fly screen to habitation entrance, 1 this is some new interpretation of new old stock I was not familiar with and 2 checking reveals that it will not provide required seal so back to plan A and I will use the hanging magnetic fly screen. Probably chuck the "bargain" away and learn from the experience. Fitted carbon monoxide and smoke alarms. Removed mains desk lamps from corners. Fitted Gaslo system (bargain - real this time from Forum general ads - thank you John). Plus a load of other things.

Gary will be down Sunday to refit the wheel, install the inverter, adjust the fanbelt (don't go there) and replace a couple of bits.

On Monday I will finish bike rack, fit replacement number plates, scrub out inside (second time after this week) put everything in to eat off and with, cook in and all the rest plus bedding and all the usual paraphernalia

Bound to forget something but anything I don't have I can either buy or manage without. Sorry no pictures this time but time is tight (Booker T and the MGs).

Really looking forward to Monday and again to Thursday when I am back over and will drift down to Newhaven. Thanks for reading. I will update after Monday and then perhaps start a new thread under one of the other headings describing the up coming adventure.

Cheers Clive

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Tyre wise check the age of them. When i bought my mh , its got six tyres , four of them were different makes and ages. I gave up and got six new ones . I've got an old hymer not as old as yours though .
Lovely van you have (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Clive,seems like you and Helen have bonded really well,she sure looks like an old lady to be proud of!
Bit like having a classic car I guess,keep her as original as you can but ensuring mechanicals and comforts are updated as necessary,seems like a good idea.
Good point by previous poster about the tyres,I took a long time after buying my 2000 year Chausson in 2012 to see the Michelins were the originals,fitted in '99, soon changed.
Read all your posts so far and looking forward to all the updates.
Enjoy your van.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just read your posts right from purchase last year!
What a lovely old girl you have and it looks like you are giving her the TLC she deserves!
I hope you have lots of lovely trips in her and keep us posted on your adventures with Helen!
Thankyou for sharing!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thanks Baldeagle and Wigster re your comments on the tyres. I elected to have them all changed as a matter of course as I had no idea of their history. Outwardly they were all apparently very good (and had brought me all the way from Montrose to Old Romney last year) but I like to know I have made every effort to ensure minimum risk. The ones removed had been manufactured week 9 of 2006, all the same batch. The replacements this year. I will have plenty to do on Monday and will be tinkering on my travels. The learning begins - mind you that started when I bought her on eBay last year. Correction to my entry above, it is a Gasit system not Gaslo, we fitted the bottles etc and mounted the filling point on the body to avoid the possible disappointment risk with lifting the flap to refuel. The replacement angled inlet was supplied quickly by Gasit and I cannot praise their service highly enough, a telephone call with a call back by them to ensure correct fitting and very prompt delivery.

Thanks all for your encouragement, more to come and some with pictures - I like pictures. For years I have been the invisible man, always taking the pictures and seldom in a picture - promises of we'll send you a copy which seldom happened so I have bought myself a GoPro and selfie stick. I will try not to overdose on my own image - bad enough looking in the mirror but at least there will sometimes be a visual record of me actually at places or with people (sad old fool is losing it).

Stone me, don't he go on .....

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Happy and safe travels on your journey Cleve, she looks like a grand old lady, getting some TLC.

We have a '91 b564 on a Fiat base, gradually trying to put right all the wrongs done to her over the years, would not replace her if you paid us.

It's a great learning curve, just back from a 3 week/3K journey, made a few alterations before we left, righted a few wrongs while away and now have a list of improvements/upgrades to do before we go on a long trip in September.

Any internal photos?? Would love a peak inside.

Enjoy

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Wow! You have been busy. We're sure that it will all be worth it and look forward to hearing all about your
approaching trip. Bon voyage!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Sorry folks but there are not pictures today. Here is the latest update.

Sunday 22 (after work) Travel to UK - arrive at "home" 2230, cream crackered and bed.

Monday 23 Up early 0630, get started sorting things out and minor tasks on to do list.

Job 1 Go to Aldi Maidstone, where I got my second Garmin last week, the purpose to get a set of combination spanners with hinged ring, and if I am lucky the large bog of spanners I saw at East Grinstead last week but sadly failed to purchase. Pleased to say they had both and of course a bit of additional retail therapy was essential. I was in there as soon as they opened and out by 0815.

Job 2 Go to Johns Cross at Robertsbridge and pick up a Kampa 23 litre water carrier to use for on board water. Replaces 2x25 litre (there is only me and I only drink bottled these days, so it is for washing and showering) made sweeter by receiving Funster discount and excellent service. So another big positive for Johns Cross.

Job 3 Go to B and Q at Ashord pick up some bits, including silicone spray. Sadly brain cell out to lunch as I completely forgot the piece of wood I wanted and was unable to buy the spring clips I wanted to screw onto it (early onset?).

Job 4 Tescos - get lottery tickets checked - result two free goes. Plus obligatory food shopping.

Back at base and before anything else a CUP OF TEA.

Spent the afternoon working through the list. I am unable to describe the tasks as they sort of merged and went of on tangents and what would be a simple single job soon became a multi faceted one. During the course of my adventures I put the wheel back on the rear nearside (lhd) and took the one I removed and put next to garden shed. This I was able to do before the intermittent torrential rain started. I sat inside and operated the wipers and tried to work out why my side was a sheet of water but the passenger side seemed to be significantly lighter. About 1700 it was time for a break. When I looked at the front there was a lot of brown Yeukkkkkkkkkkq over the moulding beneath the drop down flap. Oh no, I thought, not a problem with the radiator now (visions of cracking an egg in there). Better have a look, pulled the catch from inside heard the clonk as it fell forward and went out to investigate.

Relief, not the radiator, it is the hinge that has failed and the brown is from the years and years of rust. The hinge is bolted to the body and welded to a stiffener at the bottom of the drop down flap. This had never been a good weld since the day it was done (Erwin must have been out that day). It was worse than my earliest attempts with an arc welder a rod and too many amps! It was 1715 to late to go into New Romney to Rolfe's so I thought it would be a morning job. As this was the last full day I had before departure to France I thought I better go up to B and Q again - they are open until 8pm and of I jolly well went. Bought a pair of hinges some nylock nuts and some what must have been gold plated self tappers judging by the price of them.
Back to base only to find that the purchased hinges did not have enough depth (spherical objects), game over, time for dinner and fizzy rosé. Gonna be an early night and up early again the next day (today Tuesday)

Tuesday 24th

Up at the crack of sparrers, tea, orange, cereal. More odd jobs until driving up to B and Q about 0745 for better hinges. Back to base and work it out - will have to re drill and slot one side (body). Have use of engineers vice and Bosch battery drill (these really are good). Return to vehicle with modified hinge and fit. Ah, nearly but not quite, it has to be bent to fit under and around the stiffener, back to vice with Glaswegian spanner (large hammer), not a crafts men's piece but it fits and what's more it worked. When she is back in September I will modify the whole thing.

Forgot to mention that my all singing all dancing fridge when it went to my brother was now not working on mains. As he was coming down after I had left today I let him know also the gas did not appear to work anymore. (My suspicions that he had turned these off and forgotten to turn them back on were sound). I also telephoned Ops and got myself shifted to a later flight to come back here. I will be chucking the bike rack inside and the bike Thursday evening and sort that out while on my travels. Probably Friday night!

I have loads to do - still have not put Jaws dashcam in yet or my Funster sticker on the windscreen - I must do that.

The plan is to do a sort of daily report for my 9 days starting Thursday, I think in the solo travellers section.

If you have read this up to here have a pat on the back - next time with pictures, I promise.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Good morning all, rather than start a fresh thread I thought I would continue the chronicle here. It is Sunday 29 May when I write this but the tale commences on Thursday 26 May. It is 0824 CET and I am sat up on the pull down bed as I start this, story follows.

Thursday 26 May

Leave Guernsey for Gatwick at 1450, arrive Gatwick get car drive to Old Romney via Morrisons for essential foods.

Indicated kilometres 208110

Arrive Old Romney about 1830 carry out tasks I would have preferred to have completed before and then not as fully as I would have liked. Checked tyre pressures all round and adjusted to 207D handbook values. Front offside was lower than others (suspicions aroused). Finally set off for Newhaven to overnight in terminal car park (oh really).
There was to be an en route stop to collect a couple of headlamps to drop off to a fellow Funster on my way south. Very pleased with the Garmin Camper GPS though I would have preferred not to drive through Alfriston.
It is clear that having had the pump serviced my brother failed to have it set up properly and simply refitted it. Idle rpm is far to low and top speed is 75 kph seriously degraded by any slope.

Topped up the fuel at Sainsbury Newhaven, distance 208190 off to port for a sleep.

Arrived at the port and there appeared to be a boat in, mmm, I thought as I joined the queue, these people are here very early. I walked forward to the car in front and asked if there was a boat tonight, the gentleman said Yes at 2359. Oops, I am in the queue and I cannot see how to get out of it. I walked across to the terminal and explained I had inadvertently joined the queue but was not due to sail until 0830 on Friday. The lady said you can go today if you like, it would mean paying 10 pounds for the change but heck that would gain me so much in time. Handed over my money and walked back to Helen. There was a long gap in front now and a coach behind waiting to pull forward (plus others I expect but I did not want to look and tried to give the impression I was hurrying). There will be a picture showing waiting to board. Distance 208196.

Once on board having not eaten since 0530 26052016 I elected to have fish and chips - it was now after midnight so now 27052016. On the DFDS routes to Dunkirk and Calais there is a quiet area at supplement but apparently not on this route so I set off in search of somewhere to rest. Found some comfortable seats and crawled into my sleeping bag. Tossed and turned, gave up and lay on the floor, think I got up to 3 hours of sleep before roll call. Off the boat about 0530 CET, chucking it down with rain and yes the wipers don't want to work - oh good. I will stop at the first parking area sleep and sort them in the morning - well of course I mean this morning! Great, nowhere to park, eventually I found some lorries parked up at the side of the road (downhill dual carriageway with bend) I thought if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. Pulled over, bed down and sleep. Distance 208205.

27 May

After about 3 hours sleep, got up and made breakfast. Being wobbled by the passing traffic was an inducement. I noted the trucks were still there so affording me some protection. Changed wiper fuse and wipers working. Note, wiper blade drivers side beginning to fail - I had asked for new wipers to be fitted - I suspect they were not.

After breakfast I set off, having changed the destination from La Flèche to Saint Palais sur Mer, taking advantage of the earlier travel. I added this to the current route which I think was a mistake as I went via La Flèche but believe that was not necessary - oh well lesson learned.

Lunch taken at Bonnétable about 1255 at distance 208462. (Probably picture 2) Following lunch I took the first opportunity to take fuel which was at 208512 kilometres. I don't remember. the name of the town but the only restriction was no jerry cans.

Travelling towards Niort or Parthenay a passing Peuguot driver indicated that something was wrong and I looked for a parking place - none. I took the next turn off and stopped short of the junction to get out and take a look. Front offside quite low - not flat, but low. There had been no indication on steering though I suspect it was progressive. No way I could change it there so I would drive and find somewhere safe to change it. Place found at 208668 kilometres (probably picture 3°). Checked the tread no sign of the usual nails or tacks etc so I still think the valve at fault.

Continue the drive to Les Columbs, Saint Palais sur Mer to stop for the night. (Probably picture 4) distance 208827, arrived about 2040 CET
Cup of tea some odd jobs and BED.

Saturday 28 May

The pull down bed is very good, convenient and comfortable. I decided that it would be a rest day - plan A to go sunbathing on the beach was out of the window so I would do some of the odd jobs. The plan to fix the bike carrier on the back got shelved when I needed to move the number plate up but that interfered with the reversing camera (Garmin BC30, wireless link to GPS, comes on when reverse selected. Worked straight out of the box, happy to recommend). Moved my cheapskate awning down to rail above window line to make it easier for me to roll up (Fiamma Caravanstore). Chatted to charming Irish couple in motorhome parked ahead of me and declined the invitation to chat to the Jehovah's witnesses as J'ai beaucoup de travaille. Decided to leave about 2pm and find myself a valve core extractor, tyre pressure gauge, valve cores and gonflage. First two yes, last two NO.

I had decided that I would spend the night at Mortagne sur Gironde to have hook up and a jolly good shower. I have used this site before and know it to be first class. I would get fuel at Gemozac, use the gonflage do some shopping and get to the site. No gonflage. Filled tank again at 208887 kilometres. Bought essentials in store plus I picked up a schrader valve bike inner tube to steal the valve core and dust cap.

Arrive at camping - Jöelle was amazed to see me turn up in Helen and we had a good laugh as I checked in. Set up, mains on, cup of tea and one of the best showers I have had in my life. (Picture 5, not the shower)

I think that is more than enough for you to be going on with so I will do today later.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, Clive. We enjoyed reading of your adventures with Helen the Hymer .... and we also learned a new French word - gonflage. Thank you!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely reading about your adventures.Helen is doing you proud keep blogging I love reading peoples travels.(y)
Safe journey!

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Hi Clive, great to read you made it on your adventure and just in the nick of time with the works needed! I'm looking forward to hearing more 'Tales with Helen'

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
View attachment 108400 View attachment 108401 View attachment 108402 View attachment 108403 View attachment 108404 Good morning all, rather than start a fresh thread I thought I would continue the chronicle here. It is Sunday 29 May when I write this but the tale commences on Thursday 26 May. It is 0824 CET and I am sat up on the pull down bed as I start this, story follows.

Thursday 26 May

Leave Guernsey for Gatwick at 1450, arrive Gatwick get car drive to Old Romney via Morrisons for essential foods.

Indicated kilometres 208110

Arrive Old Romney about 1830 carry out tasks I would have preferred to have completed before and then not as fully as I would have liked. Checked tyre pressures all round and adjusted to 207D handbook values. Front offside was lower than others (suspicions aroused). Finally set off for Newhaven to overnight in terminal car park (oh really).
There was to be an en route stop to collect a couple of headlamps to drop off to a fellow Funster on my way south. Very pleased with the Garmin Camper GPS though I would have preferred not to drive through Alfriston.
It is clear that having had the pump serviced my brother failed to have it set up properly and simply refitted it. Idle rpm is far to low and top speed is 75 kph seriously degraded by any slope.

Topped up the fuel at Sainsbury Newhaven, distance 208190 off to port for a sleep.

Arrived at the port and there appeared to be a boat in, mmm, I thought as I joined the queue, these people are here very early. I walked forward to the car in front and asked if there was a boat tonight, the gentleman said Yes at 2359. Oops, I am in the queue and I cannot see how to get out of it. I walked across to the terminal and explained I had inadvertently joined the queue but was not due to sail until 0830 on Friday. The lady said you can go today if you like, it would mean paying 10 pounds for the change but heck that would gain me so much in time. Handed over my money and walked back to Helen. There was a long gap in front now and a coach behind waiting to pull forward (plus others I expect but I did not want to look and tried to give the impression I was hurrying). There will be a picture showing waiting to board. Distance 208196.

Once on board having not eaten since 0530 26052016 I elected to have fish and chips - it was now after midnight so now 27052016. On the DFDS routes to Dunkirk and Calais there is a quiet area at supplement but apparently not on this route so I set off in search of somewhere to rest. Found some comfortable seats and crawled into my sleeping bag. Tossed and turned, gave up and lay on the floor, think I got up to 3 hours of sleep before roll call. Off the boat about 0530 CET, chucking it down with rain and yes the wipers don't want to work - oh good. I will stop at the first parking area sleep and sort them in the morning - well of course I mean this morning! Great, nowhere to park, eventually I found some lorries parked up at the side of the road (downhill dual carriageway with bend) I thought if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. Pulled over, bed down and sleep. Distance 208205.

27 May

After about 3 hours sleep, got up and made breakfast. Being wobbled by the passing traffic was an inducement. I noted the trucks were still there so affording me some protection. Changed wiper fuse and wipers working. Note, wiper blade drivers side beginning to fail - I had asked for new wipers to be fitted - I suspect they were not.

After breakfast I set off, having changed the destination from La Flèche to Saint Palais sur Mer, taking advantage of the earlier travel. I added this to the current route which I think was a mistake as I went via La Flèche but believe that was not necessary - oh well lesson learned.

Lunch taken at Bonnétable about 1255 at distance 208462. (Probably picture 2) Following lunch I took the first opportunity to take fuel which was at 208512 kilometres. I don't remember. the name of the town but the only restriction was no jerry cans.

Travelling towards Niort or Parthenay a passing Peuguot driver indicated that something was wrong and I looked for a parking place - none. I took the next turn off and stopped short of the junction to get out and take a look. Front offside quite low - not flat, but low. There had been no indication on steering though I suspect it was progressive. No way I could change it there so I would drive and find somewhere safe to change it. Place found at 208668 kilometres (probably picture 3°). Checked the tread no sign of the usual nails or tacks etc so I still think the valve at fault.

Continue the drive to Les Columbs, Saint Palais sur Mer to stop for the night. (Probably picture 4) distance 208827, arrived about 2040 CET
Cup of tea some odd jobs and BED.

Saturday 28 May

The pull down bed is very good, convenient and comfortable. I decided that it would be a rest day - plan A to go sunbathing on the beach was out of the window so I would do some of the odd jobs. The plan to fix the bike carrier on the back got shelved when I needed to move the number plate up but that interfered with the reversing camera (Garmin BC30, wireless link to GPS, comes on when reverse selected. Worked straight out of the box, happy to recommend). Moved my cheapskate awning down to rail above window line to make it easier for me to roll up (Fiamma Caravanstore). Chatted to charming Irish couple in motorhome parked ahead of me and declined the invitation to chat to the Jehovah's witnesses as J'ai beaucoup de travaille. Decided to leave about 2pm and find myself a valve core extractor, tyre pressure gauge, valve cores and gonflage. First two yes, last two NO.

I had decided that I would spend the night at Mortagne sur Gironde to have hook up and a jolly good shower. I have used this site before and know it to be first class. I would get fuel at Gemozac, use the gonflage do some shopping and get to the site. No gonflage. Filled tank again at 208887 kilometres. Bought essentials in store plus I picked up a schrader valve bike inner tube to steal the valve core and dust cap.

Arrive at camping - Jöelle was amazed to see me turn up in Helen and we had a good laugh as I checked in. Set up, mains on, cup of tea and one of the best showers I have had in my life. (Picture 5, not the shower)

I think that is more than enough for you to be going on with so I will do today later.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Good morning from Frontignan Savès, it is Tuesday 31 May and I start this epistle at 1033 - the story continues:

A very pleasant night spent at Mortagne and in the morning I carried out a number of odd jobs and finally set off for Guitres for my steam train. I decided not to look at the property at Floraic on account of my reluctance to take Helen along the particularly narrow lanes. Start distance 208903 km.

At 20960 km I decided to take lunch at Chepniers. Lovely. It had been raining heavily and I wondered what the forecast was like for tomorrow as I wished to enjoy and photograph the dune in bright sunshine. I also wanted better light for my steam train pictures. Not looking for the atmospheric damp this time. Prognosis not good, MM., how far to Pyla and how far to Villefranche du Perigord where I am due to meet Jim, look at his trailer and drop off his headlamps. Pyla = 127 km, Villefranche = 159, OK, forget plans A - H, skip I and go with plan J. Checked park4nite and there was a spot for overnight next to the lake in town. Sent Jim a quick email to say it looked as if he would get his headlights a day early and set off.

Lots of rain and and around Bergerac it really let go. So much to see and come back for, such a wonderful country. Somewhere I turned right into a pretty village and the wipers stopped, oh great I thought another fuse, I wondered if it did not like the load of wipers and indicator at the same time though it had not been a problem for the previous hour or two. Found somewhere to stop and checked the fuses. Curious, pulled them out - fine, so put them back turned ignition on and they were working. Oh well then, all I can think of is that I must have inadvertently turned them off as I selected the turn indicator on the same stalk.

Steady progress to Villefranche du Perigord. The sharp left "Doris" recommended for the night stop I ignored and continued into town, which was just as well as I then passed the correct location and did a u turn back to it. A good spot next to the lake and just two other camping cars there. Telephoned Jim to let him know I had arrived and he popped over to pick me up to take dinner with him and the lovely Nikki. A wonderful couple with a beautiful home they are working on with a Gite. If anyone would like to visit this corner of the Dordogne or has friends that would like to then this is definately the place to stay. The Gite exceeds all star ratings and you can see the attention to detail by Nikki and Jim. A lovely calm location. I was pleasantly surprised to find we shared a common interest. On the way "chez Jim and Nikki" Jim drove me through the Main Street of Villefranche. Much great character and I will be back for a slow walk and many many pictures (thank goodness for digital cameras, and despite my moans in the beginning cameras on the phone). No pictures this time though there will be a.picture of Helen at Jim and Nikki's. After dinner Jim returned me to Helen and I had an excellent sleep. Sadly I had proved of interest to the mosquito population who seem to have regarded me as a version of mosquitos MacDonald.

Up early and up to Jim and Nikki where I was to take advantage of Jim's compressor and see if it was the valve at fault on my wheel. Put in 4.5 bar and as we spoke of immersion there was a loud bang, rushing of air and a couple of feet away from me landed the body of the valve, less the rubber bit which fits the rim and holds the metal valve body and core.
Well that confirmed my suspicions and my belief that I am one of the luckiest people I know. As Jim said, imagine if I had been on the road at 70-80 kph and it had happened.
Jim drove wheel and me to the local garage where he said the mechanic was good and we left the wheel with him to collect after 2pm. No problem as Jim and Nikki had invited me to lunch. The morning was spent doing odd jobs me with Helen sorting the bike rack etc and Jim fitting his compliant headlamp units - a very straight forward job.
After lunch we collected the wheel set it to 4.5 bar and put it back on the spare wheel carrier. Check of pressures all round and finally it was time to leave.

Jim had been quite clear on the directions I should take! Part way towards the road the GPS turned of and I realised I had not plugged it into the 12v. Stopped and did that. When I reached the road "Doris" said turn left, Jim had said turn right, I thought - I have never been along this road to the left so turned left (I shudder to think what went through Jim's mind as he saw me turn left).
I had expected it to join into the route to Fumil which Jim and I had discussed, well it did not!

I ended up driving through Cahors and Montaubin after which I picked up my usual route to Samatan via Grisolles and Grenade. As always I saw much of interest on the way redoubling my need to do a really slow tour of this country on retirement (with later Hymer and smart car on Jim's trailer). Through with major towns should be construed as "around".

The drive was pleasant and uneventful until I got to the second roundabout before the Grisolles turning. Exiting the roundabout I attempted to select 3rd gear - which had been there moments before but was not any more, nor was it's mate 4th. Oh good I thought. I could have second though and taking the turn into Grisolles looked for somewhere to pull over. The already narrow street had been narrowed further into a one way with humps and a 30 kph speed limit - this suited me as the best I could do in 2nd was 35 kph. There was not a lot of traffic, now about 1800 hours and I chugged along, thought, well it is 90 km to Samatan so about 3 hours get there about 2100 but I will have a base with power and I can do something about sorting this little problem. It felt like the selector gate may be the problem and when I got to Grenade I pulled into Carrefour to see if I could see anything obvious. Pulled up more of the carpet for access and checked the manual but nothing I could obviously do so set of again. Traffic very light so progress was steady and I pulled over whenever I had acquired a few cars behind with limited over takes available. I did not receive a single toot or gesture - much to my surprise. I decided as my fuel economy was impaired to top up with gazole at L'Isle Jourdain. Pulled onto pump Broken Link Removed only to find that the station not open out of shop hours "raison de grève". Oh well, I called Dennis and asked if he would mind me coming a couple of days early which was no problem and I arrived at Sarah and Dennis's about 2100.

Spent a pleasant couple of hours chatting and sipping slowly a sound but inexpensive rosé from Spain where they had been earlier in the day. Off to bed. Good nights sleep on a bit of a slope and this morning after walking with them and their dog Medor I came back and made scrambled egg and bacon. Eggs from Sarah's chickens and bacon from Sarah's fridge. But cooked in Helen - first time I had used the rings to cook anything, only boiled the kettle before.

Sat here and wrote this over the last couple of hours. A further progress report in due course when I have sorted out my gear box.

This afternoon it is scrubbing and cleaning, tidying etc. Now I will insert the pictures and post this. A very happy Funster

Edit, just seen pictures are in reverse order and the pole is not for my satelite receiver!

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
Photos of the inside. I arrived at Helen around 1pm today planning one to take some internal pictures and two to change the fan belt with the one I had found. Pictures were a success, fan belt was incorrect and correct one sourced and fitted. Battery flat no start and not enough time to jump start or anything today. Needs both batteries replacing anyway so I think I will just do that an know I am starting with those at least. I will try and do them tomorrow afternoon if I get the time but I of course have other obligations to meet.

Now, to add the pictures which could be before or after the text! Still happy, I knew what I was getting into and love a challenge. I must have left something on last Friday so will have to find the isolation switch - I saw nothing obvious.
View attachment 77782 View attachment 77783 View attachment 77784 View attachment 77785 View attachment 77786 View attachment 77787 View attachment 77788

Hi Clive
Helen's a beauty, they don't make them like they used to, internally she looks almost identical to the Fiat based 1985 B534 we used to have, sold ours around 5 years ago :(

Do keep up the thread, really enjoying her (and your) travels (y)

Lee

lounge03.jpg

sky01.jpg

misc02.jpg

out02.jpg

out03.jpg

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello Lee

She looks lovely. I intend to add one or two of the pieces I see in yours and intend to hang on to her for at least another year or two. The only reason for replacement will be the need to tow a trailer and smart car to enjoy my "retirement"

Today I scrubbed the floor removing all traces of the rubber backed carpet I ripped out the other day. Tomorrow it is the ceiling, walls and lockers. When I return to Guernsey on Saturday I will set about a replacement box for her and pop down and fit it ready for the Tour de France . I will pick up the trailer from Jim's on the way back so it will be a win win situation.

I am not unfamiliar with the mechanics so the change will be simple and I know of two possible replacements already.

The silver lining for me has been being able to get on with so much - Jim is aware that I have a relatively comprehensive tool kit with me so subject to how things are going I might drop the existing gear box out either tomorrow or Thursday. I have just about all I need here and will just buy anything else. I will take the opportunity to replace the clutch plate and release bearing while I am at it. So a visit to the factors on my return. I'd like a new thermostat and sender unit as well so I will do that at the same time.

It is lovely to know I still have the skills as having been bone idle for about 30 years happy to pay someone else to get ingrained filth in their hands. A walk down memory lane for me - like a number of Funsters I imagine when we would think nothing of pulling an engine out over the weekend, fit new pistons and rings etc and back on the road for Monday morning (slow classical piece plays in background to give feeling - probably adagio in G minor).

Thank you to all those taking an interest and I will keep you up to date on here. I will chronicle the next couple of days but I fly back for work on Saturday (subject to such industrial action being carried out by our French colleagues) then a bit of a gap until I pop down to do the necessary.

thanks everyone - Oh if anyone has a Mercedes 207D 4speed manual box in Southern France they want to get rid of give me a shout. I am happy to remove it and it will save me fetching one down.

Cheers Clive :france::france::france:

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Clive, it was a pleasure to help you out with food, Helen, valves, (French word...valves!) and other stuff.
Have a safe journey back to UK, Islands and Mainland, and see you when you return.
A Bientot
Jim and Nikki x

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Jim, well as Spok said, it's life but not as we know it...

Star date 2 June Kilometres unchanged. Klingons absent

Spent the last couple of days at Sarah & Dennis's cleaning scrubbing and reassuring them that the gearbox was a detail problem. Easily resolved which of course it would be.

Sarah washed my nets for me, they were a bit on the grey side to say the least. I could not believe how white they have turned out.

I have removed all the dead carpet remains and scrubbed the floor over first pass and very pleased with the result.

Sarah was having a new cooker delivered this afternoon by M. Darty and it was time to move Helen into the garage where I will change the gear box.
I appear to have confused Dennis who. moved his car out onto the road so I would have more room to manoeuvre - the plan was for me to drive out turn around drive straight back in and reverse into the garage, which is what I did - eventually. Having communicated my intentions correctly I drove out turned and drove back in. Now all I needed was reverse - which I could not get (yes Jim, you could not make it up). What's more, I could not get it out of first either as the clutch pedal was to the floor and doing nothing. Happy days. I popped the front and went round to check the fluid level on the clutch master cylinder. Interesting, no reservoir on clutch master cylinder simply a hose from the brake fluid reservoir and guess what - on the slope I was on that pipe was exposed to air and that is why I had lost the clutch.

(I did not realise it but Helen was talking to me again and proving once again what a jam strangling lucky clump of earth with grass growing out of it I am)

Blast I said. Then asked Dennis if he would drive me over to Lombez so I could get some brake fluid. Needed to go straight away as about 1130 and shops shut at 12 for a couple of hours.

Whipped over bought fluid and returned. I checked manual to see if any special procedure for bleeding the clutch - oh good, yes there is see lack of reservoir above. I topped up the brake fluid reservoir, gave the clutch pedal a couple of pumps in the vain hope of divine intervention - zilch!

Oh well, grabbed a lump of old carpet, time to have a look underneath and see where the slave cylinder is. On my back looking up can't see any sign of slave cylinder on LHD offside BUT I DID SEE A LEVER HANGING OFF ON THE SIDE OF THE GEAR BOX - ONE OF THREE. I called Dennis to come and have a look - prefaced with the immortal Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!" Dennis was impressed as I was and I smiled at the thought that I could skip getting a gearbox. I asked him to keep his fingers crossed and we were summoned for lunch.

After lunch - leisurely here dans Le sud I thought I wonder if I have got lucky and she has bled herself in my absence. I gingerly pressed the clutch pedal and felt pressure, a few pumps and she was back, brakes OK as well. Now pre lunch I had hooked the linkage back on pending driving into town for fasteners but I wondered - have I or have I not got my gears back (please say yes I was saying to myself) Dennis reappeared an I warned him I was going to start up.

Bingo, the clutch was working and I did not do a kangaroo hop onto their terrace. I tried each gear in turn YAHOO they were all there. Reversed Helen into garage and minutes later Darty arrived in a large truck with the new cooker. Had I not been as I keep saying such a lucky devil I would have been really in the way (I suspect my hosts were wondering what PITA* was going to do to get it out of a very inconvenient place on their drive).

Someone or something somewhere is certainly looking after me.

There will be a few scraps over the next day or so then all will be quiet until the beginning of July. Regards to all.

*PITA was the pet name for me of a former girlfriend it means pain in the - well you can guess the rest. I think it was my constant good fortune and upbeat attitude that compelled her to sack me - shame really, I think she might have been the one.

:france::france::france::cheers::france::france::france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
Good evening from the Holiday Inn Express Blagnac, probably the last report for a week or two as I fly back to Guernsey in the morning and back to work until 8 July when I will fly back down here and pick up from where I left off.

Now I know the problem with my gears I hope to get a set of bushes in the intervening weeks. I have looked on line and KMS has had them so I am hoping to source some and replace the somewhat "interesting" existing arrangement.

Drove over to Intermarché at Lombez this morning and filled up with Gazole ready for when I return and off to Andorra for stage 9 of the Tour de France on 10 July. The picture shows Helen's accomodation until I return.

There will probably be an update when I have or have not acquired the parts I want. Then again when I resume on 8 July. Thank you all for your continuing interest.

Clive
:france::france::france::wine::france::france::france:

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Clive, you are probably the luckiest man I know! And the way you write these stories is very very entertaining!
Having met you, it's even funnier.

Remind me not to fly with you though!!
Trailer awaits it's new home with some trepidation.:)
Jim and Nikki x

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Clive loving your travels ! Helen seems to be giving you a hard time (unlike Helga) but you seem to thrive on all the work! Loving her shed/home for a while! Let us know how you get on !(y)

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon all,

Well, I have a little over a week before I fly back downt to Helen. Originally I was flying back with just my rucksack, now I have hold baggage.

The bag contains a whole variety of items which I had hoped would have been done while she was absent with my brother for rather longer than I expected. I will be attending to the many items as light relief as I drive back up from South of Toulouse and Dieppe. Work meant that the scheduled sacrifice of my brother yesterday has had to be postponed until tomorrow (a lamb to the slaughter - bless him, I intend the assault to be insidious but fatal).

So coming shortly up dates on Helen - gripping stuff with pictures and hopefully a report from the Tour de France stage in Andorra.

Really looking forward to my break and my little jobs.

Oh, she is back on 22 July straight to Gary to get the pump set up correctly, then she is back out on 1 September.

Riveting updates to come.

:france::france::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Poor bro!! Good luck with repairs and safe travels love to see your posts! Hope mice haven't found Helen an inviting home in her country shed!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back