Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg

Ooo, well what do you know purely by chance and my natural ineptitude I am typing between pictures. Perhaps I will remember that tomorrow but don't count on it. The pictures are in reverse order, another perhaps, maybe tomorrow I will load the latest first and the oldest last and get them, no hang on that's what I did this time oh well.

Plan A was to leave the site here today and go up the coast and lounge on the beach.

I slept exceedingly well and despite starting to listen to the "Best of Steve Allen" about 4am BST I was gone and the next thing I knew it was after 8 and no mints already. I started dithering around taking my douche etc and using up the last of the muesli that I like, tomorrow it will be the other one! About 9am Emerson Fitipaldi entered the campsite in his Citröen van with the bread - if you were not awake before you were certainly not going to be sleeping after this, I don't think he did a hand brake turn at the end of the two rows but he seemed to be coming back in the other direction pretty damn quick. I believe the French are thankfully 20 years behind the English and common sense and self preservation still survive unlike our own litigious expect it on a plate lot.

I plan to retire over here so by the time I snuff it they will have descended to our level of degradation and every thing being someone else fault and how much can I claim Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh.......

Enough rambling, tonight's vintage is a Fronton which I discovered years ago while doing the sim down at Toulouse (such happy days but the bean counters think it is cheaper to do it at Amsterdam, sadly bean counters only see a price ticket and never the cost - we have not saved a penny and lost the support of the manufacturer (clever bean counters), sorry to go on but my experiences of late suggest to me that people never consider the consequences of there actions before implementation and once they commit are forever. pleading "well I never expected that" and of course they didn't because they never thought it through. Now, I wonder if I can move between the next two pictures and actually report on my day. which will be of much greater (well maybe) interest.

image.jpeg

Mmm, interesting, I did, ok so on to today -

After Fanjo had left to terrorise the camping cars parked on the quay I tidied up, packed everything away and decided to go to Super U at Gemozac. Ah, forgot to mention, when I dragged myself from my pit this morning it was a typical Guernsey morning - thick fog, so I decided to quit the beach idea and decided to stay here another night and do some of the "odd jobs" I had been neglecting so long.

So up to Gemozac for fuel (gazole (Helen) and essence for Honda), plan A was to get fuel and then shop. Under the 2.8 metre barrier no problem - I have been under it before, decided to obey the directions instead of my usual short cut and went beneath another 2.8 barrier - I was not at speed but I had not slowed down because I was alright before "dong", oh expletive, how? what? why? As I turned and looked I could see the barrier swinging madly - I think it was an attention seeker, I went under the next one with trepidation and nothing. Parked up and looked for damage - nothing hooray, the tip of the Status ariel must have caught it.

Into the shop, bought my bits into the station service, filled up and. the tank for the generator as well - still have not started it and it looks as if I need not have bought the petrol afterall (see later).

image.jpeg

Well here I am below what should have been the first picture oh well all will become murky.

Anyway back at the camping I took lunch and stock and decided there was no point in me chasing around and I would stay here a couple more days, how wonderful and empowering it is to have that option!

Now then, I enjoy cycling but I am no Froome or Cavendish, that said I am slightly clinically insane and am probably one of the few riding a Raleigh hybrid that has bought a Garmin Edge 1000 with the extras . I bought it a while ago and have never had the time to fit it - well today I did. After lunch (late and only a couple of 1664's) I fitted it up.
Time for a test.

Off I set, followers of GCN will expect all sorts, I think I was closer to Bertie, but I have cadence, heart and gawd knows what else but what the heck. I have an aversion to hills and elected to descend to the port along the quay then along the coast generally northerly before returning South, picture 3 is where I turned round to go back and promptly fell off, first time for a long time, felt a right chump and over the moon I was the only witness.

On the return leg, I saw a magnificent bird of prey, a wingspan easily in excess of 6 feet, to me it looked like an Eagle but my knowledge of birds is basic at best, I thought wow if only I could get a picture but previous experience has shown that by the time I get the camera out the bird is two continents away. It lingered, I thought well maybe and braked in the loose gravel nearly falling off again. Got the phone out and clicked, yes I know it is not much but you had to be there, the bird was absolutely beautiful such a privilege to enjoy when cycling.

I plodded back, no Olympic gold for me, and routed out to the South beyond the Hermitage before returning to base.

Picture 1 is Helen set up, there are two chairs but sadly only me. The other chair is for one who .....

I have decided to stay here another two nights and then start back, Tuesday I will be with the railway chaps then up towards Dieppe and the return to Blighty.

Another gripping installment tomorrow if you are unlucky:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Well, hello Sunday. A bluey grey start to the day and despite reading about old people getting up early on another thread I managed to stay in my pull down bed until a little after 0800 CET. Reading the latest on here and getting my kick start cup of tea were priorities (also listening to Steve Allen on LBC).

Depending on your point of view there are no pictures today, I thought there were but when I went to transfer them it said no image found. Hang on, just had a thought, I had hung the camera over the handlebars as I had to take the basket off the front to fit the Garmin and it was banging against the headstock, perhaps I have dislodged the card.

moments later ....

Yep that's what I done, visit to Decathlon looks likely, I have the basket but nowhere to fit it now. So, I am off to transfer the pics to this iPad now and will resume in a few minutes.

Right, that is done and there may be a picture soon. This morning I could not face ye olde muesli and elected to have scrambled eggs and frankfurters (Herta), yum, yum. The only negative being all the washing up. Still that done - eaten that is, not washing up - that occurred much later.

Helen was moist and I thought I would take advantage of her and remove a deposit from the top rear offside corner, I think it must have been an Albatross by the size of the deposit. I have probably mentioned before the stuff I use for cleaning Helen, it is called Vistal and I have found it to be very good. Dupont's would have be proud of the Albatross's adhesive capability but with judicious application Vistal got it all off. Trouble was I now had a clean patch about a foot square (around 0.33 metres for the young) and it stuck out like the proverbial so I had to do all across the top, this was bad news because I then had to do the rest of the back. Helen looks much better from behind now and if I am lucky a calorie or two will have been spent.

I continued odd jobbing, trying to organise the interior storage and making sure there was 1664 in the fridge for later.
My plan was to catch some rays and packed my beach towel into my rucksack along with water etc and set off on my bike ride to find a secluded location where I might be able to get my cheeks brown. About five miles down the coast I found a location, completely out of the way and with virtually no risk of disturbance (that's what I thought). Dragged the towel out, put my shades in the rucksack, removed the textiles and lay back to enjoy all that harmful sun. Bliss (apologies to those of a more gentile nature and sadly I am not a hunk simply a lump).
I cannot be precise but the bliss did not last very long at all, I was down on the salt marshes and next to a dyke (water variety though the other would have been infinitely preferable). I think mosquitos regard me a their version of MacDonalds and before you could say knife I seem to have become either lunch or a blood donor (I don't mind giving to the one that comes round with the van but I don't like donating to this lot). Merde, that's blown that, back into the textiles mount my steed and elect to return to Helen. No big panic so I meandered back and stumbled across St Romain sur Gironde with it's exquisite basic functional église, that will be one of the pictures, possibly the only one, oh no, there will be at least one more because I found a solitary tournesol (sunflower), small and late to the party as all her sisters had their heads bowed and looking decidedly seedy.

Finished my ride and had done just under 12 miles. Time for more odd jobs and I decided to scrub the floor. As the only anglais on the site I fear I am confirming all and any preconceptions our continental cousins may hold. Barking Mad. That done, I relaxed with a can of ice cold lemon tea and looked on here.

About 1500 CET I decided to go for another ride this time along the top, only did 3.5 miles as I need to make some serious adjustments to the bike. You may remember I moaned about Lawrence changing some bits on the bike when he borrowed it, well it is only after doing a few miles like today when you realise that he must have moved the saddle as well because it is pointing up and to far forward. This was only apparent when I set off to do something like another 12 miles this afternoon and I found myself having to sit back with my bum overhanging the back and small fleshy parts protesting their discomfort. Return to base and adjustment essential. I have no wish to father any children but would still like to retain the option regardless.

So that is the story so far, I am now going to try and insert the pictures, they will be in the wrong order and may only be a couple - don't hold your breath!

One last thing, to get the most out of my rides I cycle up each quay, the Southern one is where the motorhomes parked all sitting on each other. I would think that if you sneezed or snored at night you would
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
be disturbing at least three campers either side of you - and they pay. Sitting up here at the Bel Air Camping Municipal, I have showers, loos, hot water, my own decent size plot with ombrage and excellent wifi and all for just over 8 euros a night. Me happy boy; just seen the pictures - don't ask!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just read from start to finish. Brilliant. Loving the blog and the pictures.
I must get on with my jobs now , I've got a numb bum !

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello and thank you to all those looking at my thread and also those that comment - makes it all worthwhile and if it amuses then I am happy.

Mardi le 5

A really good nights sleep, the muscle relaxent worked well and I lay in until after 8. Plan to buy bread when the looney with the van comes have a shower and move the saddle on the bike, put the basket on the back with some zip ties and refit the cheapo GoPro to the handle bars. then after muesli and tea a fifteen mile ride with stops. It was a route I picked off of the Office de Tourisme web site promising a diversity of birds etc. Magic. Did the jobs, packed Canons 1 (short lens) 2 (zoom lens) plus my very versatile Samsung WB800F. I could take a picture of a sparrow half a mile away no sweat so if I had the opportunity of that eagle like bird from a couple of days ago I was in business. I will now try and insert the route which is highlighted in red.

image.jpeg

Miracle it seems to have worked. Anyway I set off down the hill to the port and along the road to the first stop - the Mortagne Polder - destroyed by a tempête in 1999 but an ideal site to see many and varied bird species, just sit/stand and enjoy - I did, all I saw were mouettes (seagulls), waited for the floorshow to start but it seems the main act wer out to lunch. Gave up and started back on the route and up an incline which is shown on the Michelen with 2 arrows and noted as 17%, the sign I passed at the bottom said 18%, I did not stop to photograph it as my momentum was already in serious decay and when I got to the next bend the wheels kept turning but the cranks were stationary, the third crank was pushing the bike, huffing and puffing (oh and perspiring), not a long hill and I am pleased to report the only one I actually had to walk part way up. At the top while remounting red bike I took a picture of the road sign, if I am lucky it will be below.

image.jpeg

My derrière had by now suggested that the changes to the saddle position had not been an unqualified success though the gonads were content. I have not worn proper cycling shorts for about 9 years as on my shorter rides my normal shorts have been fine - not any more, I was concious of them riding up and the risk of chafing, if the Evans sales of clothing are still on when I get back then I know of a couple of purchases - let's face it, a chap has to be comfortable. No worries on to Saint Seurin d' Uzet high lighted here on the "tour" was the church which was pretty and the carvings over the entrance very interesting - I did not venture inside as with my background if there is a God then I would have been in deep merde! Photos of church and the little shop flogging the local caviar. I have no idea who the two cyclists are but they had come out carrying a baguette.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I turned left after the shop and continued along the route, the incline was kind and the descent good at the bottom there was a turning and I had to stop to check if I needed to turn right which I did and up another considerate climb. Shortly after there was a right turn again and without having checked the map I turned right - mistake, followed this along and everything seemed to be going swimmingly, making good progress and emerged on the top of a sort of ridge giving a splendid view of the estuary, except, arghhhh it was on the wrong side, I had to turn around and retrace my steps (bum who had been indicating a certain level of happiness indicated its displeasure) that lovely easy grade was reincarnated as the devil (bum definately not happy) I retraced my ride and got to a correct cross roads and took up the correct course. Bum had decided that we would be cutting the ride short and returning to the campsite which is where I am now. Sitting on my comfy captains chair enjoying a 1664, actually it would have been the second if I had not knocked the first one over. 1664 is no good for cleaning plastics.

I will pack up here tonight ready for a short drive to the railway at Chaillevette to take up my offer from the other day. No steam trains running sadly but hopefully a photo or two.

Another riveting episode tomorrow. Cheers

:france::drink::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoyed your trip with you!! So glad us ladies can have a nice wide saddle!
Enjoy the trains tomorrow!
And enjoy yor well earned rest and a 1664 or two!!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Yeap brain in neutral, think the bum was using it when I put that in, I will be doing the official mardi demain. Must say that bum is is not happy. It had taken a little longer than I expected to loosen the saddle adjusting bolt - the perennial problem, one side sweet as a, well literally nut, the other did not want to play and took an age to move. This trip I had left most of the mobile workshop behind, including some bits I really meant to bring.

Red bike is due for a serious overhaul and I suspect that she will be hanging on the garage wall on my return and silver bike will re-emerge for the rest of the season, though she needs a birthday as well. Couple of tyres and tubes plus thorough check over, the good thing is she has only ever known one rider and will never be loaned (or borrowed because the lock will be in place).

After my railway visit tomorrow, starts about 11am probably lasting a couple of hours the intention is to start North Eastwards towards Dieppe. Plan A is to stay at the municipal campsite at Le Lude which will be about a 4 hour drive with Doris the Garmin - avoid tolls is selected and the drive reinforces my view that I will have to spend the best part of my first year of retirement just actually visiting and seeing properly the so many beautiful places I have just "driven" through.

I think bum is pleased that tomorrow is a no cycling day (so far) and is rejoicing that the bike is on the rack already.

I have packed everything away, topped up the water and when I finish this I will prepare dinner. I will use up the frankfurters with my nice baguette tradition!

I have also checked all fluid levels, tyre pressures and lights - Helen, Doris and I are good to go!

:france::cheers::france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Bonsoir from Le Lude. My preparations last evening facilitated an early for me departure to Chaillevette arriving a little after 10am. Popped the sunscreen on Helen's windscreen and made a cup of tea. My anticipated visit would start at 11am, so much for anticipation. While waiting I used up the time wandering around a Draisine taking photos before realising the setting was not on auto, so I had to take a second set. The Draisine is of interest as I have an HO model and I intend to build one for my Gaughe 1 garden railway when I retire. Picture below - perhaps!

image.jpeg

While taking my pictures I noticed a couple of chaps turn up so wandered over and spoke to them. I was informed politely that the depot visits were on Jeudi, merde, I seem to have really blown this mardi thing. Said my thank you's and left. Later, too late to return, it occurred to me that mine was a personal invitation from one of the founding members which was why it was him and Tuesday, round spherical objects!

The drive here to Le Lude was straightforward and Helen performed well and I arrived in town and went to the intermarchè for essentials and fuel before finally arriving at the campsite. It is well laid out, the girl who greeted me was extremely attractive and helpful. She wished to practice her English and I wanted to crucify my French so we enjoyed a crazy bilingual conversation - I think my French outbid her English (though she may have been being kind to the old foreign fart).

On a good spot with water and electric, the wifi is so so but eventually there will be good service everywhere unless they want to be left behind.

Now a picture of Helen at Chaillevette followed by one here at Le Lude. I must say, yes I know I have said it before but I have barely scratched the surface of this beautiful country and the more I see the more I realise I have seen nothing and must return for a proper in depth thorough appreciation.

So, hopefully Helen at Chaillevette

image.jpeg

Finally Helen on emplacement 21 à Le Lude

image.jpeg

Tomorrow I am reluctantly working my way up towards Dieppe for my crossing to Newhaven on Jeudi. I am liking this and I don't want to go back!

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good evening from Offranville just outside Dieppe. I am sitting comfortably in the shade next to Helen who is resting after her 332 kilometre run up from Le Lude.

No pictures today it was a straight driving day. Got up, did all the usual. Checked my levels and set off about 0945. I elected not to rush, I hate it when my holiday is coming to an end and want to put it off as much as I can.

I must say that Doris the Garmin Camper GPS has been excellent and my "avoid tolls" selection has been marvellous. Repeating myself from yesterday there is so much to see. I will have to look and see if the Nextbase disk has any editing software on it and I can try an piece together my drives removing the hours of nothing in particular but I hope it has captured some magic moments like when suddenly a chateau of sorts appeared in the windscreen from nowhere. Having crossed the Loir at Saumer a number of times now I never fail to be amazed at seeing something else I failed to see before.

Doris did a little hiccup at Rouen which I was able to sort and I am still trying to work out what she was up to at Mamers. Still I saw much I would not have seen. Rouen was less of a problem than usual and I made good time to the Camping municipal at Offranville. (Windsor Davies who I alluded to in July was still here and I think he recognised me and Helen as returnees and was extremely helpful.

Before I checked in at the campsite I popped into the little Carrefour Market in the "town" and picked up some essentials. You may remember I moaned about not being able to get diesel here in July. That was wrong, I could have my diesel I simply could not have a ticket - I think I was the victim of fatigue and not thinking straight.

Tomorrow when I get back to Old Romney I will make the final post of this trip. After that there will be sporadic updates of the winter maintenance schedule - I need a new exhaust manifold or I need to find a craftsman to fix the one I have got - by new I mean another one without a crack. I hope to attack the battle scars she has acquired over the last 34 years and I will be watching the rally calendar in the hope that something will be on I can go to on my limited weekends. Looking forward to meeting more funsters.

I have had a fabulous trip and the only thing that could have made it better would have been if "she" could have been there to share it.

Never mind!

:france::france::france::france::france::france::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A great, descriptive thread with wonderful photos , thankyou.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Then, as suddenly as it had begun (excluding anticipation) it was over.

A good crossing from Dieppe, DFDS and Trans Manche Ferries were excellent. This will be my preferred route for the future.

Now a picture from yesterday, title "Table for one, sir?"

image.jpeg

Up a little after 8 (CET) this morning, breakfast, shower, chores, then off to Auchin on the roundabout at Dieppe. Tanked up 41.4 litres for about 350 kilometres and cheaper than over here! Up to Lidl, just in case I had missed something, bought some food items and a pair of oven gloves, been meaning to pick up some from Morrison's for ages but brain not good when visiting UK. From Lidl to the boat, MV Albatre, picked the correct LHD solo lane for the passport etc and joined the line (lane 4) as usual I was the oldest camper (vehicle that is). Helen has been great! While waiting to board I did the sums and she had done Dieppe to Dieppe over 9 days 1151 miles. I am very happy with her performance now the pump, clutch and gears. are sorted and am looking forward as I indicated yesterday to getting some use out of her over the coming months in the UK before she and I venture to France again next year.

Next picture is one that excites some but saddened me (I hate it when my leave is ending, yes, I am happy to see England but I do love being on leave). The white cliffs of Sussex.

image.jpeg

Already my mind is running away with ideas for next year .....

I will keep you up to date over the coming months but it is back to Guernsey tomorrow and Leeds/Bradford and Gatwick on Saturday back to the grindstone .....

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Then, as suddenly as it had begun (excluding anticipation) it was over.

A good crossing from Dieppe, DFDS and Trans Manche Ferries were excellent. This will be my preferred route for the future.

Now a picture from yesterday, title "Table for one, sir?"

View attachment 123323

Up a little after 8 (CET) this morning, breakfast, shower, chores, then off to Auchin on the roundabout at Dieppe. Tanked up 41.4 litres for about 350 kilometres and cheaper than over here! Up to Lidl, just in case I had missed something, bought some food items and a pair of oven gloves, been meaning to pick up some from Morrison's for ages but brain not good when visiting UK. From Lidl to the boat, MV Albatre, picked the correct LHD solo lane for the passport etc and joined the line (lane 4) as usual I was the oldest camper (vehicle that is). Helen has been great! While waiting to board I did the sums and she had done Dieppe to Dieppe over 9 days 1151 miles. I am very happy with her performance now the pump, clutch and gears. are sorted and am looking forward as I indicated yesterday to getting some use out of her over the coming months in the UK before she and I venture to France again next year.

Next picture is one that excites some but saddened me (I hate it when my leave is ending, yes, I am happy to see England but I do love being on leave). The white cliffs of Sussex.

View attachment 123327

Already my mind is running away with ideas for next year .....

I will keep you up to date over the coming months but it is back to Guernsey tomorrow and Leeds/Bradford and Gatwick on Saturday back to the grindstone .....

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
Dover cliffs always get me too I want to head back to France!!
Enjoyed your trip .Thanks for sharing . Helen has done you proud and it's great to see these vintage vans on the road and still much loved.:)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just finished reading. Fantastic. Love how you write, wish I could do the same. Will follow your next thread whenever it is.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've just sat with a brew and read this whole thread. What a delight to read. Thank you for sharing with us. From one old Hymer owner to another - well done!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Jackie, looks like your's could be the same model. Interesting paint scheme. Is there a photo on here anywhere or can you pop one on.

I intend to address some of Helen's battle scars that she has acquired over the last 34 years. She has been resprayed at some stage but evidence suggests that the prep was minimal.

There is a man up the road from where she lives who has resprayed. a couple of panels on my car before and is reasonable with his pricing. If I tell him he can have her for maybe a month he can remove the old paint reprime and give her a good blow over.

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Clive

:france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good afternoon,

back from Amsterdam last night, single day off today in UK fly back to Guernsey about 1940 tonight.

Update, Gary appeared to take Helen away for the day to change the water pump and other "odd jobs". Supposed to be back today - I will not hold my breath.

Long weekend at the end of the month when I hope to do a little trip in her seems to have been commandeered so will have to wait until November now. 11 days leave to take before March 31 so, looking at a couple of forays into Northern France in February and March.

Looking forward to posting more trips and pictures. Thanks for looking

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
The new year begins. 2017 looks to be a promising year.

My visit to Helen on Monday and Tuesday was good, engine started and run, had planned a run but fiddling and messing about stopped that but I will be over again in a fortnight for 3 days so she will go for a drive then.

Pleased to say she was nice and dry with no cultures growing in the fridge or anywhere else. Water drain down done (should have done it before) but all ok.

If any of you are looking for a Smart car trailer for you motorhome I will have one for sale shortly. I had bought it last year from a fellow Funster when my life appeared to be going in one direction but that is all changed so it will be surplus to requirements. I will advertise it in the general classifieds on here. It will not be advertised elsewhere. It is a Brian James model. No advert until pictures taken and the very kind Funster has brought it back from France for me. You get to meet some really great people on here.

I plan to replace the original plumbing in Helen and the "distressed" blown air piping over the next few weeks. Also a change to LED lights, I am thinking of just swapping out the 12v 5w side light bulbs in the little corner lights for LED car replacements. Need to find a strip LED for over the sink and gas rings.

That is enough rambling on for now. Happy new year everyone, it feels like it is going to be a good one. Glass more than half full.

Clive:france:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Need to find a strip LED for over the sink and gas rings.
If it already has a light fitting can you not remove the tube and it's electric's and replace with LED stick on strip. That's what I did with mine.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Manic, thanks for the reply. That is the plan, just looking for a simple job (I am bone idle by nature). I think the existing light is a couple of ordinary bulbs not a strip light. There is an old labcraft one at the back which does not work which I am going to remove.

Thank you again, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
End of January update.

Lots of new bits arriving to be fitted - preferably when a little warmer and it is not chucking it down with rain.

A Boxing Day bereavement gave me time to pause for thought as a result I have opted for early retirement. I finish on 30 April and am enjoying "gardening leave" in the interim. This is perfect because I can now get on with all the bits I wanted to do and get Helen ready for a jolly lasting the best part of six months, a very leisurely tour of France (researched via "Les Carnets de Julie" on YouTube). Helen will become Hélène l'Hymer for a while. I am hoping to bump into various Funsters on the road (my tally is two to date) and when back in the UK actually visit one or two rallies.

Plan A (subject to amendment without notice) is to cross the Channel via the tunnel and enjoy a mix of history, old steam trains and beaches where I can get my cheeks brown. Just a gentle saunter sampling some cheese, some wine and murdering the language - it can only improve.

Have armed myself with a couple of the 3 internet with legs sims, which worked very well last year and hoping Tesco will be doing the same summer holiday deal as last year as well - that will give me another 6 gig a month.

Should be a mix of wild/free camping and municipal sites. Some sort of a "blog" or running report on here. Never done a blog so I need to look at a couple of others and find out what to do. Have armed myself with drone, GoPro and an assortment of other stuff. Not keen on the idea of selfies so I will probably remain the invisible man.

Had a really good clear out in Helen this morning - far to much junk in there that I did not use last year and I will reduce the size of the mobile workshop this year as "hopefully all that can be changed or replaced has been" so barring a catastrophic failure, I am in with a chance.

I will make a point of visiting Villefranche du Périgord, where I was introduced to the town by a fellow Funster last May.

Rambling on as usual - you have been warned. The only stone bonker dates and locations are beginning of June at Blonay, CH where there is a festival of steam at the tram museum. The Tour de France in the St Gaudens area. and my annual walk on Bastille Day at Aggassac.

I'll be back!

:france::france::france: Yipeeeee Clive Yipeeeee :france::france::france:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back