Stolen Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Really feel your pain and hope you get some good news soon.

I just ordered one of those trackers - gotta be worth £32.

I work in the Police control room most days and I can say that the police do get quite excited when they get a 'ping' from a stolen vehicle. I often hear the preparation they make to do a 'controlled stop', so it's not all bad news.

The trouble is, when caught, the Justice system can't accommodate these thieves in the system - they get bail when arrested, never to be seen again! :Eeek:

BTW We can cut vinyl letters/numbers - registration numbers & postcodes in adhesive vinyl and would do this at cost for Funsters. Do remember, it's registration numbers that tell the police whether a vehicle is stolen - not postcodes!

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sorry to hear of your loss more so as it is quite close to home hope you get it back.
looking at replies something like this may be of interest to some for protecting the roof lights/ doors as you could do a complete side at a time and would work even with windows open.

Link Removed

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Looking farther in ebay, this is a hard wired , sim free, and works on google maps real time.

Cut off the ciggy lighter plug and hard wire with a fuse out of sight.

Link Removed

Hi, Mr Thicko here.......

How does this work as far as locating it is concerned?? I get the SIM version, you ring it, but this??????????? :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It works on GSM and requires a sim card. If you look at the pictures on ebay it shows the sim carrier.

Lunarman

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I use a tracker…Bought off ebay. Works off a simcard. It can be hard-wired….or in my case I just charge the tracker battery every 7 days. Its not fool-proof but without it your just wringing your hands in that crucial first 48hrs afters it been pinched.

I'm ex plod…and my ex (still serving) colleagues both CID and uniform tell me they would happily drop everything to catch a thief with a £20k van, especially if it can be live tracked…..Things may have been different in the past, but this is now and the technology is so much better. They use "Find My Phone" all the time to catch criminals.

But again its a combination of deterrents and tools that need combining to firstly deter, then aid recovery if the worst happens.

I would re-ask….Is this type of van susceptible to being hot-wired? I thought we had moved on from that?….Mostly these days vehicles are pinched after the offender obtains the keys via the owners house or by using hook n cane?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a shame! It looks a nice one too. I was hoping by the time I read to the end of the thread you would have been posting it had been found.

Hope you get it back. I will keep my eyes open on the off chance I see it in Scotland. Not many motorhomes on the road around here just now.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
......…..Things may have been different in the past, but this is now and the technology is so much better. They use "Find My Phone" all the time to catch criminals.

I'm going to have to admit to my past life here, but I used the original Tracker system in the 90's and every activation ended in a recovery, generally very quickly, I got a Ferrari and a Porche back with the owner within 2 hours one night, and you're right, we used to drop everything ( if possible) to search for vehicles. The equipment we used was like something out of Star Trek, but, in the right hands, it was incredibly efficient. No GPS or cell phone signals, good old direction finding!

Allan

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
If you get chance today go and poke around junction 8 on the M65 all the horseboxes nicked from around the Calderdale area got parked up there for a day or two while the tea leaves found out if it had a tracker fitted before moving it further.

Persuaded the police to go have a look around around the old power station site & surrounding area, but search came back negative.

Many, Many thanks to everybody for their suggestions, help & support.

Steve & Val

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Shared on my Facebook. Hope it is found undamaged.

Lin

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I would re-ask….Is this type of van susceptible to being hot-wired? I thought we had moved on from that?….Mostly these days vehicles are pinched after the offender obtains the keys via the owners house or by using hook n cane?

Was your van alarmed? My 2004 Apache has a cat 1 alarm,it's hard to believe they're that easy to pinch.
How do you feel now the loss is sinking in ,would you want it back or would it never be the same again,would you rather have a payout and start again?

My condolences
Vlad

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I really feel for you both - we have the identical one to yours and no doubt you, like us, worked your butt off to pay for it - it would break our hearts if ours was stolen. We have done everything possible to secure ours but as mentioned, if the scum want it - they will take it.
I have nothing but absolute hatred for the thieving gits.

We hope it does come back.

My total sympathy.

Trikeman.:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Home postcode is said by some not to be a good idea as it can also be seen by thieves from motorway bridges, indicating that a property may be empty. We had the alternative of the registration number on our previous van roof but haven't got it on the current one due to lack of space. Maybe I should look into that again.

sorry Graham, this has been here before.

How many theives are going to stand on a motorway bridge in the off chance they see a postcoded van indicating a POSSIBLE empty property worth robbing within a reasonable distance.
Which house does the postcode relate to out of quite a few in the same street with the same code.

An old wives tale.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
postcodes and thieves on bridges is a bit of a red herring, as you could be spotted in france but homes in scotland. easy enough to type a postcode in google earth and look for the house with a motorhome on the drive. this fails though if its kept in storage or you were away when the satellite photo was taken

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
good luck.what a really rotton way to start the year.please post year of the model.and reg.will post on facebook.good luck

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry Graham, this has been here before.

How many theives are going to stand on a motorway bridge in the off chance they see a postcoded van indicating a POSSIBLE empty property worth robbing within a reasonable distance.
Which house does the postcode relate to out of quite a few in the same street with the same code.

An old wives tale.

That's why I said "said by some" John :Smile:

The other advantage of the Reg No on the roof is that it is the detail that will have been given to police anyway :Smile:

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
It was only fitted with the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser, but had a sold secure wheel clamp & steering lock.

Still feel sick, but as people have said to me, if had caught them at it & confronted them I could have ended up in hospital or worse?

Yes, I would have it back providing they had damaged it too much. The payout from the insurance probably won't cover buying an identical van including all the necessary everyday stuff (pots,pans, cutlery, etc.). Have already been told that the 4 expensive outdoor camping chairs are not covered.

If I do replace it, it will be cat 1 alarmed, tracked & the use of other mentioned security measures will be added. But at the moment the Mrs isn't sure that she wants to replace it, she says that she would always be worrying that it could happen again?

Steve.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
good luck with getting sorted,

we wiill be out on the north west motorway network today and will keep our eyes peeled for you van.

If seen which is the best way to report,

a: ring 101 and try to explain
b: ring 999 and ditto
or
c: ring the police number you have reported it to ( can you post the that on line ?)

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi.

I would call 101 & crime reference is NYP-3-1-14/0046.

The tribal eagle decals came from America, so hopefully not many of those on Autotrail's, also due to the side decals on the nearside being replaced last year they are quite a bit brighter on the nearside than those on the offside.

As time goes by chances of retrieval probably get less & less? :Sad:

Thanks for everybody's vigilance.

Steve

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi.

I would call 101 & crime reference is NYP-3-1-14/0046.

The tribal eagle decals came from America, so hopefully not many of those on Autotrail's, also due to the side decals on the nearside being replaced last year they are quite a bit brighter on the nearside than those on the offside.

As time goes by chances of retrieval probably get less & less? :Sad:

Thanks for everybody's vigilance.

Steve

cheers mate duly noted , will keep eyes peeled

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Additional Info

I remembered that the motorhome was security etched by the previous owner & have found a picture taken when the motorhome was previously damaged. the etching (similar to datatag etching is on all the windows apart from the two on the nearside which were replaced last year).

The security ref. etched on is: SGZMIMM VR60011189.

Regards
Steve & Val

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It was only fitted with the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser, but had a sold secure wheel clamp & steering lock.

Still feel sick, but as people have said to me, if had caught them at it & confronted them I could have ended up in hospital or worse?

Yes, I would have it back providing they had damaged it too much. The payout from the insurance probably won't cover buying an identical van including all the necessary everyday stuff (pots,pans, cutlery, etc.). [HI]Have already been told that the 4 expensive outdoor camping chairs are not covered.[/HI]

If I do replace it, it will be cat 1 alarmed, tracked & the use of other mentioned security measures will be added. But at the moment the Mrs isn't sure that she wants to replace it, she says that she would always be worrying that it could happen again?

Steve.

Your home contents insurance may cover that. Certainly worth checking your policy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cannot believe your insurance does not cover your chairs. They are contents... BUSBY:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes, I would have it back providing they had damaged it too much. The payout from the insurance probably won't cover buying an identical van including all the necessary everyday stuff (pots,pans, cutlery, etc.). Have already been told that the 4 expensive outdoor camping chairs are not covered.

Steve.

Insurance companies have a nasty habit of only offering glasses Trade Price in settlement, if they do that just say 'I am not a Trader and cannot buy at such prices, I want full Retail price for my van as insured, in the meantime I must also claim for a replacement hire van whilst I am without one'

If you want a valuation you are welcome to ask Andy by emailing him at Andy @ johnscross.co.uk and ask him for the retail price of a van like yours and equipped.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we needed a value after our van had been Asda-d we agreed with the insurance company that I would supply a range prices from the Internet of comparable vans.

We then negotiated over the phone, me accepting that there is always some wriggle room on forecourt prices and the insurance company accepting that it was unfair to insist on the lowest price found. It was an amicable discussion which resulted in a mutually acceptable figure in only a few minutes.

That doesn't help with contents of course but I hope you have similar good treatment from your insurers.

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
A bit OT

When I used to manufacture van trailers and when we made our own translucent GRP roof panels I used to laminate the serial number in to it in 6" letters/numbers.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I have 2 of these one fitted ( hidden within MH ) and the other on the scooter. The have worked across EU no problem. Would recommend it to anyone for peace of mind.

Hi Don

As you have two of these I wonder if you can help.

I've just purchased one and it came with a SIM card by Lebara Mobile. There's no credit on the card and I'm just a bit confused as to how I should add credit? Personally, I've never heard of Lebara Mobile.

Cheers

John

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
postcodes and thieves on bridges is a bit of a red herring, as you could be spotted in france but homes in scotland. easy enough to type a postcode in google earth and look for the house with a motorhome on the drive. this fails though if its kept in storage or you were away when the satellite photo was taken

Years ago I was usually asked for security roof marks in the form of postcodes. Over the last 2 years a lot of roof marking on various machines/motorhomes etc is the last three or four (depending on space) digits of the VIN number. This saves time and trouble climbing onto the roof and removing ID that only applies to the current owner. The VIN will remain on the roof for the vans life. If roof ID is purchased I would recommend the same height as the emergency services order from me. They used to use 6 inch then 12 and the last 10years have insisted on no less than 18 inch for both the Police and Prison service vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back