DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not suggesting the thieves in this case used one but not much will resist one of these: Broken Link Removed

They have certainly been used on bikes when the crooks just wanted the components. They just cut straight through the frame and ignore the locks. A wheel clamp on a vehicle would take longer but if they have spare batteries and, for example, it is blowing a gale and pouring down they know they are unlikely to be disturbed, so they can work away in peace.

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi.

yes they picked the weather, blowing a gale & pouring down.

Could have been worse, I was thinking of installing roof mounted satellite system - Glad I didn't !

If get back or replace it, I think tracker is a definite & maybe the loudest alarm siren possible ?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi.

Home address, private parking round back of flats, we had brought it home to clean & get ready for going away this weekend.

Researched for good wheel clamp, but think professional thieves can just about get through anything ?
Sorry to hear of your loss, fingers crossed you get it back quickly.

Last year I've had two generators stolen at work. I'm not talking about the piddly little things us MHers or tuggers would use - these were 1 qty 1.25MVA and 1 qty 1.5MVA.
In both cases -delivered, unhitched from tractor unit and king pin lock installed. In both cases king pin locks removed in a minute or two, right in under CCTV outside data centres.
Neither have been seen since - assumed straight to docks and out of country.

Locks / wheel clamps are pretty useless other than stopping kids.
Angle grinder, cable cutter or liquid nitrogen can all be used to remove them very quickly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi.

yes they picked the weather, blowing a gale & pouring down.

Could have been worse, I was thinking of installing roof mounted satellite system - Glad I didn't !

If get back or replace it, I think tracker is a definite & maybe the loudest alarm siren possible ?

We have a tracker on ours.
I didn't bother with an alarm. We've all heard alarms going - be honest, how many investigate and how many of us just ignore it ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Another thing I have fitted is a battery isolator switch. This can be mounted anywhere under the bonnet, out of the way, (say under the air cleaner box), by just extending the truck battery positive lead. A key is required to switch it on. It gives the impression, when switched off, and the red key removed, that the truck has no battery fitted. Simple, cheap and well worth the small effort and expense. They cost under £20.00

Attachments

• isolator.jpg
    isolator.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Sounds like a good idea, even if they brought a spare battery it would appear dead & delay them enough for someone to spot them ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds like a good idea, even if they brought a spare battery it would appear dead & delay them enough for someone to spot them ?

That's right, and unless they have either a spare red key, (very unlikely they would even know it had a switch, or be able to find it in the dark), or have brought a complete spare battery lead of the right length, then they couldn't get the truck to start.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another thing I have fitted is a battery isolator switch. This can be mounted anywhere under the bonnet, out of the way, (say under the air cleaner box), by just extending the truck battery positive lead. A key is required to switch it on. It gives the impression, when switched off, and the red key removed, that the truck has no battery fitted. Simple, cheap and well worth the small effort and expense. They cost under £20.00

This sounds a belting idea to me , only downside I can think of , does it switch your radio and alarm and all other electrical bits off that need constant power.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This sounds a belting idea to me , only downside I can think of , does it switch your radio and alarm and all other electrical bits off that need constant power.

No. You can get the model with a fused bypass. which allows low ampage kit like radios etc to run, but wont allow anything to happen if the key is turned. Check the different models out on ebay. I don't have kit running when we aren't around, so mine kills the lot.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sounds like a brilliant idea and our daughters horsebox had one fitted when it vanished and turned up near juncton 8 on the M65.

You ain't dealing with stone jugs, they know all the tricks, it is what they do for a living

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

I have considered putting a remote switch in the cab that switches off the fuel relay.

All the best and hope it's found soon.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

]so sorry 2 hear about the loss of your motor home hope you get it back,although it probably never feel the same,
i have a back2you tracker fitted any movement and it will text me,can imobillise engine via tx
set geo fence - etc, also have cat -converter alarmed,doors alarmed and inside censors fitted
can phone tracker and listen to conversations,no plate g8ysn on rear of roof,all you can do try to put thieves off, again good luck with van:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds like a brilliant idea and our daughters horsebox had one fitted when it vanished and turned up near juncton 8 on the M65.

You ain't dealing with stone jugs, they know all the tricks, it is what they do for a living

Well, in that case, just leave the keys in the ignition, with a note saying 'Welcome to our (your new) MH! Tea and coffee are in the top left hand cupboard!

You have to make it difficult for them. It's your responsibility (as much for your peace of mind if nothing else) to do as much as your pocket can afford. You cant afford to even think defeatist.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Really sorry to hear of your loss hope you get it back soon, despicable scum bags .... I cant understand why more isn't done to stop it. Vehicles should all have several ID chips hidden within the fabric of the vehicle that automatically scan as they pass through filling stations and ferry ports highlighting the stolen ones. You could maybe use them to check insurance, vehicle tax and mot at same time too.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Sorry to hear about this. I agree with a previous poster. The van will be most likely parked up in a public place to see if its got a tracking device fitted…..Might even be close to home. An initial long drive only increases their chances of being caught. Much better to drive it for 30 mins…then dump it for a few days.

I really hope you get your van back.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Just a technical question for the experts. Would your average vehicle thief need a key for this year of van, or is its age an indicator that it could be hot-wired?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's on another forum so Jim may not thank me for posting a link but if you Google "stolen caravan, motorhome and trailer tent database" you will find a list of stolen caravans and motorhomes. Given it is unlikely to be a complete list it is surprising how many there are - or were, past tense.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When my wife stood market years ago she had to leave the van parked on the street loaded all the time. Besides decent locks on the cargo area i made up a simple seat cushion to welcome any thief that managed to gain entry to the driving seat. I drilled many holes in a piece of plywood and inserted darning needles. Then covered them with foam and a nice colourful cover. Always remembered to remove it in the morning. I dont suppose it was legal but i do not think any thief would have reported it other than to A and E. BUSBY:roflmto:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
posted on fb. Hope you get it back ok. Words cannot describe the people that do things like that.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
............... i made up a simple seat cushion to welcome any thief that managed to gain entry to the driving seat. I drilled many holes in a piece of plywood and inserted darning needles. Then covered them with foam and a nice colourful cover. Always remembered to remove it in the morning. I dont suppose it was legal but i do not think any thief would have reported it other than to A and E. BUSBY:roflmto:

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a Reliant Regal. He said he had wired a spark plug into the steel petrol tank with an isolating switch hidden under the dash which he operated when he started the car.

Nobody ever went with him as a passenger or stood nearby when he went to drive it away.......

You would have to be desperate to try and steal one of those anyway....

Allan

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use a simple battery isolator switch ,so as they would not be able to have a quick exit.
Also saves the battery drain when parked for long periods.

Posted on Mrs FB , hope MHF members can track this MH down and stop these annoying slobs :Angry:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
hi everybody.

Our Autotrail Apache 700 SE was stolen last night, it had a Sold Secure Bulldog wheel clamp & a steering wheel lock, but they still managed to take it :Sad:

It was clocked on the police camera in Gisburn (Nr Clitheroe, Lancashire) @ 12:01 & then clocked again on another camera on the M65 half an hour later.

If anybody spots an Autotrail with a tribal eagle decal (21" x 21", which makes it distinctive) on each side, then please advise your local police.

We were due to go again this weekend, but my mrs is feeling so sick that she is not sure whether to replace it as she would not want to go through this again (it is like a feeling of suffering grief?).

Please keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks
Steve

Very sorry to hear of this , many of us end up purchasing a MH with our only savings and this can be major upset when the vehicle is stolen... can I ask you for my own security learning kerb was your vehicle parked in an public place, was it alarmed, do you think a Tracking device may be a good decision to buy? once again I hope the police manage to recover it:Sad:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have 2 of these one fitted ( hidden within MH ) and the other on the scooter. The have worked across EU no problem. Would recommend it to anyone for peace of mind.

Looking farther in ebay, this is a hard wired , sim free, and works on google maps real time.

Cut off the ciggy lighter plug and hard wire with a fuse out of sight.

Link Removed

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry to hear this, we had one of our bikes stolen last week, nothing to your loss i know but are left feeling really rotten aren't you?
Hope you get it found soon?
Althoughas some on here have said probably far away by now and changed as. they. say.
Scary to think they can get away with anything if they want it badly enough even with. the appropriate locks and alarms.

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
I am afraid dedicated scum will steal anything no matter how much you try and protect it , sorry for your loss hope you get it back , but it will not be the same. contaminated by the scumbags who stole it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back