Speeding tickets from across the water. (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Can you please clarify your comment about different coloured borders indicating different speeds?

Thanks

Gordon

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Been flashed (speed camera) many many times over the years in Euroland, never yet recieved anything in the post. I have however been pulled and fined physically in France and Spain.

AND

Never ever experianced hostility from the Aussys in the many times we have been there. One of the reasons we keep going back.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
We did not chase up E
Apparently it cuts both ways, they can't chase you up (at the moment) and we can't chase European drivers up. It's a lose, lose situation. We are losing loads of money not being able to gather in fines, and so are the Europeans.
We did not chase up European drivers when we could have done.

Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
Flash triggered by height, they look at the pic see a Motorhome and in France take it as under 3.5t.
Unless you are in the autoroute, then the cameras on the tolls capture height and charge class 3 assuming over 3.5 ton. Happened to my mate’s van in front of use. TBF he was 3.8 ton. But we followed behind at 4.5 ton and Angles Morts on display and got charge class 2 every time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
If your motor caravan's maximum unladen weight is not more than 3.05 tonnes then the 60/70 limits apply - the same as for cars. This web page is the key: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
I wonder how many know what their ‘unladen weight’ is, never mind MGW or actual weight? 🧐

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Been flashed (speed camera) many many times over the years in Euroland, never yet recieved anything in the post. I have however been pulled and fined physically in France and Spain.

AND

Never ever experianced hostility from the Aussys in the many times we have been there. One of the reasons we keep going back.

Not so long back our son was living in The Netherlands. He hired a car on his UK licence, on which he had our address, used for the purposes of a UK contact address (he’s lived in a number of EU countries).

A few weeks after the hire he received a letter (at our UK address), from the Netherlands Justice Department, informing him that he had been caught speeding…….pay X amount of Euros or else……. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, my son has been caught in no less than 6 different countries and had letters from all of them.….and not just EU countries. That’s pre and post the ‘B’ word.

I’m guessing he‘s just unlucky getting all these letters to our house. 🤷‍♂️:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
2 years ago I got a fine through the post from Germany. I had seen the camera flashing but hoped that the German folks wouldn't bother. More fool me.
A nice letter, complete with a fine photo of myself at the wheel doing 34kph in a 30. Fined a heartstopping €10. I paid it so I didn't potentially get pulled for an unpaid fine if I returned to Germany.
I had bought an Umweltzone sticker. Coincidence???

I have also been flashed by cameras in France, when not speeding, on roads where HGV speed limits are in force. I agree with LennyHB. I think they see a motorhome in the photo and take no action.
I have a Crit Air sticker.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Once upon a time on here, we received horror stories of Funsters arriving home after time across La Manche to find the postman delivering tickets for speeding from the French authorities.

Post 'Independance' from the EU, have Swansea been continuing to collect the blood money or have they closed shop on selling our details.

Asking for a friend as I'm a goody goody, honest. :whistle2:
Personally I would pay any fine that I received. It will probably save you any hassle should you want to return to that country.
I did get a fine of 6 TL ( 25p) as I left Turkiye into Greece, the border control would only allow me exit status when I had paid the fine at a nearby office.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Couple months ago got flashed in France in the MH at least 6 times. No letters. Some on here suggested the camera was confusing our RV with a heavier vehicle.

trevor 87

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 24, 2008
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glen 560
Exp
Got back from Slovakia and Hungary in August, had to have a Go Box rather than an e-vignette as over 3.5t. 4 weeks ago got a demand from EPC Plc who deal with foreign breaches in this country showing two pictures of our numberplate in Hungary, stating had no e-vignette - fine was £214 for each photo.

Had to pay the fine before appealing - have told them we didn't need an e-vignette (not even allowed one) and sent them photos of my receipts for the Go Box. 4 weeks have passed, heard nothing so phoned to be told that it is 6 weeks before I can expect a response whilst being £428 out of pocket.

If fine wasn't;t paid with I think 14 days it rises to £600 each ticket.

Feeling fleeced.
The Go box is used in Austria not Hungary !
Got back from Slovakia and Hungary in August, had to have a Go Box rather than an e-vignette as over 3.5t. 4 weeks ago got a demand from EPC Plc who deal with foreign breaches in this country showing two pictures of our numberplate in Hungary, stating had no e-vignette - fine was £214 for each photo.

Had to pay the fine before appealing - have told them we didn't need an e-vignette (not even allowed one) and sent them photos of my receipts for the Go Box. 4 weeks have passed, heard nothing so phoned to be told that it is 6 weeks before I can expect a response whilst being £428 out of pocket.

If fine wasn't;t paid with I think 14 days it rises to £600 each ticket.

Feeling fleeced.
The Go box is used in Austria for vehicles over 3.5 t and the box used in Hungary. Is called HU-Go OBU Could be why you received the tickets ?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If your motor caravan's maximum unladen weight is not more than 3.05 tonnes then the 60/70 limits apply - the same as for cars. This web page is the key: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
But I can't find the Unladen Weight. The French Poid Vide is given for our van but this is different to the UK Unladen Weight. My maths for the UK Unladen Weight is between 2915kg to 3223kg depending on how it's all calculated.

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me what my unladen weight be for my 2013 autocruise Peuguet Boxer. 333 L2H2 TL HDI

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can you please clarify your comment about different coloured borders indicating different speeds?

Thanks

Gordon
if you mean my post about french villages. my understanding is that if the nameplate has a red border then its 50km/h if its black it isnt unless otherwise signed.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Unless you are in the autoroute, then the cameras on the tolls capture height and charge class 3 assuming over 3.5 ton. Happened to my mate’s van in front of use. TBF he was 3.8 ton. But we followed behind at 4.5 ton and Angles Morts on display and got charge class 2 every time.
its usually height. I dont think many weigh.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
But I can't find the Unladen Weight. The French Poid Vide is given for our van but this is different to the UK Unladen Weight. My maths for the UK Unladen Weight is between 2915kg to 3223kg depending on how it's all calculated.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me what my unladen weight be for my 2013 autocruise Peuguet Boxer. 333 L2H2 TL HDI

It's on the plate under the bonnet. Here's mine - top line, 3300Kg. If it's got two columns the left hand one is the UK set. This doc is quite useful.

PS: European Speeding Tickets can be enforced in the UK. The relatively simple process in use up to us leaving the EU was rescinded, with the intent of a similar set of arrangments being reintroduced eventually, but a more complicated process under the umbrella of the 1959 Council of Europe Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters (MLA) still exists. I guess it depends on how determined the prosecuting authority is. See here if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_192438735.jpg
    IMG_20201010_192438735.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Not so long back our son was living in The Netherlands. He hired a car on his UK licence, on which he had our address, used for the purposes of a UK contact address (he’s lived in a number of EU countries).

A few weeks after the hire he received a letter (at our UK address), from the Netherlands Justice Department, informing him that he had been caught speeding…….pay X amount of Euros or else……. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, my son has been caught in no less than 6 different countries and had letters from all of them.….and not just EU countries. That’s pre and post the ‘B’ word.

I’m guessing he‘s just unlucky getting all these letters to our house. 🤷‍♂️:unsure::ROFLMAO:
If he's in a hire car then the fine will go to the hire company as the authorities will have all the cars details. The hire company then pass back the drivers details, ie, your address. He will have agreed to this in the terms and conditions when hiring

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Had a parking ticket in Sweden, we paid for overnight charge, in the morning we went to put more money on but the machine was broken. I left a note on the van for an hour extra to walk the dog & received a ticket!

We never worked out how to pay it, fortunately we've not heard anything either, that was in June!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's on the plate under the bonnet. Here's mine - top line, 3300Kg. If it's got two columns the left hand one is the UK set. This doc is quite useful.
That's the maximum laden weight, not unladen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on what your conversion is, eg Alto, Accent etc ... what model is it?

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

PS: European Speeding Tickets can be enforced in the UK. The relatively simple process in use up to us leaving the EU was rescinded, with the intent of a similar set of arrangments being reintroduced eventually, but a more complicated process under the umbrella of the 1959 Council of Europe Convention on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters (MLA) still exists. I guess it depends on how determined the prosecuting authority is. See here if interested.
That’s NOT your unladen weight, it’s your MGW. Unladen weight is NOT on the VIN plate or your V5C either….😏

Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
As far as I can see, the only way to get an honest unladen weight is to go to a weighbridge with the fuel tank as near empty as possible, and no fresh water, tools, equipment (cables, hoses, etc) crockery, pans, cutlery, tables, chairs, etc on board. Anything that can be taken out should be removed. And make sure no one is in the cab when it's weighed. I can't see any manufacturer or converter giving a reliable figure sadly.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Yes correct that happened to me but the police ( very aggressive ) stopped me on the great western highway and gave me the full price fine and told me to pay it at the nearest post office , if I didn’t if I came back to oz I would be denied entry ! How I love the Aussie , or not , I met a lot of races on my travels but they have one hellva of a chip on there shoulders to the poms ! 😂
Yes they do have a problem with poms , generalizing , but also any Aussie in a position of authority doesn't appreciate being challenged at all, better to butter them up :) dont try and fight the system ! A good bunch on the whole tho , JMHO

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
As far as I can see, the only way to get an honest unladen weight is to go to a weighbridge with the fuel tank as near empty as possible, and no fresh water, tools, equipment (cables, hoses, etc) crockery, pans, cutlery, tables, chairs, etc on board. Anything that can be taken out should be removed. And make sure no one is in the cab when it's weighed. I can't see any manufacturer or converter giving a reliable figure sadly.
Which is a totally ridiculous situation as speed limits are dictated by the unladen weight!
86D582EC-1B28-4B05-BB23-320B0842D582.jpeg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Derek, our next door neighbour‘s son Zach is a grasstrack rider, and they are over in France, Holland and other European countries all the time in their motorhome.

Kev has shown Cliff on four occasions tickets he has received in the post over at least two years. He has ignored every one, and they have sent him letters increasing the fines every time, he has ignored those too.

They are over on the continent at least once every month in the racing season, and he has never been pulled over for non payment of fines.

So straight from the horses mouth, 100% true and factual!

So you can tell your friend, we don’t think he (or she) is up for the guillotine just yet….. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It always amazes me that we still stick with the unladen weight to dictate speed limits as very few people know the unladen weight of their vehicle, it's about time it was changed to max laden weight (regardless of load) then there'd be no ambiguity.

I'm assuming the unladen weight was used in the past for commercial vehicles so that once they were unladen and below the 3.05 tonnes, they could go faster to get back to their base for a bacon butty! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They are over on the continent at least once every month in the racing season, and he has never been pulled over for non payment of fines.
Maybe not, but if he's pulled over for something else and they do a check ... could end up being a bit expensive! :oops:

Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
got flashed on the French motorway mid September, it was on a section where caravans and HGV are restricted to 90kph. We are under 3.5T " honest Gov"!
so was doing about 105kph and got a flash :doh:. nothing yet! i'll let you know :rolleyes:
That always happens - they flash you because of height, later analysis will identify you as less than 3.5 tons so no ticket!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
That's the maximum laden weight, not unladen.

That’s NOT your unladen weight, it’s your MGW. Unladen weight is NOT on the VIN plate or your V5C either….😏

Ooops. Every day's a schoolday. Apologies.

Probably need to review how we load the van. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back