Speeding tickets from across the water. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Once upon a time on here, we received horror stories of Funsters arriving home after time across La Manche to find the postman delivering tickets for speeding from the French authorities.

Post 'Independance' from the EU, have Swansea been continuing to collect the blood money or have they closed shop on selling our details.

Asking for a friend as I'm a goody goody, honest. :whistle2:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
Got flashed around 10y ago not heard a thing, but I think they now engage a private contractor to chase you down for the money possibly,

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Once upon a time on here, we received horror stories of Funsters arriving home after time across La Manche to find the postman delivering tickets for speeding from the French authorities.

Post 'Independance' from the EU have Swansea been continuing to collect the blood money or have they closed shop on selling our details.

Don't forget you will have given them your details if you have the Crit'air sticker.

No need for Swansea to supply details. Just a thought.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Apparently it cuts both ways, they can't chase you up (at the moment) and we can't chase European drivers up. It's a lose, lose situation. We are losing loads of money not being able to gather in fines, and so are the Europeans.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have not had one since brexit but I can't remember being flashed since either.
I think they had to stop chasing you after brexit.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Son picked up a speeding ticket whilst in Australia.

Letter arrived here saying pay up or you’ll be arrested next time you set foot in the country. :ROFLMAO:
Yes correct that happened to me but the police ( very aggressive ) stopped me on the great western highway and gave me the full price fine and told me to pay it at the nearest post office , if I didn’t if I came back to oz I would be denied entry ! How I love the Aussie , or not , I met a lot of races on my travels but they have one hellva of a chip on there shoulders to the poms ! 😂

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i got flashed twice in germany in may not heard anything yet

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
got flashed on the French motorway mid September, it was on a section where caravans and HGV are restricted to 90kph. We are under 3.5T " honest Gov"!
so was doing about 105kph and got a flash :doh:. nothing yet! i'll let you know :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016

Post 'Independance' from the EU have Swansea been continuing to collect the blood money or have they closed shop on selling our details.

I think it was part of the Brex** deal that they take the money straight out of your pension 🥲

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Where are these flashers of which you speak, I haven't seen any?

1666456077410.png

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got back from Slovakia and Hungary in August, had to have a Go Box rather than an e-vignette as over 3.5t. 4 weeks ago got a demand from EPC Plc who deal with foreign breaches in this country showing two pictures of our numberplate in Hungary, stating had no e-vignette - fine was £214 for each photo.

Had to pay the fine before appealing - have told them we didn't need an e-vignette (not even allowed one) and sent them photos of my receipts for the Go Box. 4 weeks have passed, heard nothing so phoned to be told that it is 6 weeks before I can expect a response whilst being £428 out of pocket.

If fine wasn't;t paid with I think 14 days it rises to £600 each ticket.

Feeling fleeced.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Don't forget you will have given them your details if you have the Crit'air sticker.

No need for Swansea to supply details. Just a thought.
Not sure of the exact rules the foreign police have to follow but here they would write to the registered keeper of the VRM as it stands at that time. I suspect they will be the same.

The Crit’air records will show, if retained, the keeper on the V5 at that time. Since the Crit’air certificate stays with the vehicle/VRM it may no longer be the same person on the V5 now. Their rules may not enable them to write to the original recipient of the Crit’air certificate

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Got back from Slovakia and Hungary in August, had to have a Go Box rather than an e-vignette as over 3.5t. 4 weeks ago got a demand from EPC Plc who deal with foreign breaches in this country showing two pictures of our numberplate in Hungary, stating had no e-vignette - fine was £214 for each photo.

Had to pay the fine before appealing - have told them we didn't need an e-vignette (not even allowed one) and sent them photos of my receipts for the Go Box. 4 weeks have passed, heard nothing so phoned to be told that it is 6 weeks before I can expect a response whilst being £428 out of pocket.

If fine wasn't;t paid with I think 14 days it rises to £600 each ticket.

Feeling fleeced.
We met people in Romania in July who had been travelling all over the Balkans for weeks without buying a vignette in any country because it was too difficult! I dread to think of the fines they incurred 😣

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I have been saying this for years, the sticker does not carry any technology so cannot flag up and the chance of a Gendarme spotting it as you pass by is minimal.
The French don’t have them.
While the sticker has no tec on it the issuing office will have a record of your details from the reg number.
No idea if they do cross reference the data or are allowed to.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
We were flashed on the A8 in southern France in June………. Nothing 😁😁

Tell your friend, I think he’s safe 👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
) and we can't chase European drivers up.
the Uk never did. Too much trouble as the UK requires the actual driver at the time.everyone elsein europe gives the fine to the owner
from EPC Plc who deal with foreign breaches in this country
Be aware that they are also the licensing entity for Transport for London & various parking companies in the Uk & have multiple foreign offices to trace those who transgress in the UK; Unfortunately most of the methods used are dubious at best & mainly completely illegal;& they have no compunction in using any means available to track a person down including misuse of data , illegal exchanges breaching the gdpr, lying, illegal & incorrect use of laws & EU directives designed to convince the mug that they are in breach of laws ,of which they aren't. illegal misuse of cross border directives. the list is endless.

In my case it was illegal use of data .
Contravention of gdpr.
Attempting to obtain money using fraudulent methods.
Attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage.
Illegal use of EU cross border directive not designed for the offence.
Attempting to enforce a parking fine by camera outside of the 14 day period ( yes only 7 months)
the list is endless.If i could be bothered to get the paperwork out I'm sure it goes on another 5 or 6 items?

I have been saying this for years, the sticker does not carry any technology so cannot flag up and the chance of a Gendarme spotting it as you pass by is minimal.
The French don’t have them.
No it doesn't but by supplying your complete info + vehicle reg document to them they have the basic details of the original applicant. If that isn't the correct person they can cross check using other illegal methods.
No idea if they do cross reference the data or are allowed to.
yes they do & no it isn't legal.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
They have the details of the person who originally applied for the critair who may have been several owners ago. My last motorhome has a critair on it I applied for and is valid indefinitely, though the new owner might have scraped it off , they are not easily removed and certainly not in one piece. It doesn't really tell them any more than the reg no so I have no problem with having one. I don't speed anyway at least not in the motorhome.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Post 'Independance' from the EU, have Swansea been continuing to collect the blood money or have they closed shop on selling our details.

Oh Pleeeeease tell me this is a wind up ... :rofl:

Been flashed twice and never heard anything, last time was 4 weeks ago, I hear they also flash MHs sometimes thinking they should be doing the HGV speed limit due to the height.

Aug 30, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rimor Evo 95
Exp
Since March 2022
They have the details of the person who originally applied for the critair who may have been several owners ago. My last motorhome has a critair on it I applied for and is valid indefinitely, though the new owner might have scraped it off , they are not easily removed and certainly not in one piece. It doesn't really tell them any more than the reg no so I have no problem with having one. I don't speed anyway at least not in the motorhome.
It does have a pretty small, what looks like a scannable QR code, which I guess can only be scanned/read at close range (presumably by an official on foot (?)). If it’s not raining in the morning (who knows in s Wales! 🙄), I might venture out onto the drive and try and scan it with my iPhone and update post if it links to more info than (just) the printed reg. no.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I can’t quite remember where I read this so I may be talking rubbish, however…..

I think in certain circumstances the foreign authorities sell your ticket debt to a collection agency in the UK who then chase you up, think parking eye etc. This gets round having to get your details etc as they are British based.

Easy to prevent by sticking to the speed limits I suppose.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Drove back from Croatia in May through Slovenia and Austria without any toll tags have not heard anything yet😁😁
Been around France and Germany on three other trips now without these stupid crit air stickers and no issues so won’t bother unless they start to clamp down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Oh Pleeeeease tell me this is a wind up ... :rofl:

Been flashed twice and never heard anything, last time was 4 weeks ago, I hear they also flash MHs sometimes thinking they should be doing the HGV speed limit due to the height.
Flash triggered by height, they look at the pic see a Motorhome and in France take it as under 3.5t.

Aug 30, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rimor Evo 95
Exp
Since March 2022
I can’t quite remember where I read this so I may be talking rubbish, however…..

I think in certain circumstances the foreign authorities sell your ticket debt to a collection agency in the UK who then chase you up, think parking eye etc. This gets round having to get your details etc as they are British based.

Easy to prevent by sticking to the speed limits I suppose.
I agree. Subject to any international GDPR technicalities/regulations and/or economics of chasing an overseas debt, its not beyond the wit of man in this day and age to link a vehicle with its registered owner (at least) when authorities increasingly rely on fine collection to fund their operations. Best to try to stay within the law and then we all have much less to concern ourselves about.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I agree. Subject to any international GDPR technicalities/regulations and/or economics of chasing an overseas debt, its not beyond the wit of man in this day and age to link a vehicle with its registered owner (at least) when authorities increasingly rely on fine collection to fund their operations. Best to try to stay within the law and then we all have much less to concern ourselves about.
I think most of us try and stay within the law and especially speed limits these days. This is more difficult in Schengen countries because its not always clear which one you re in they each have little vagueries which can easily catch the unwary: - People frequently do not realise how the different coloured borders signify different limits in French villages, its also very often unclear when the limits have ended. There is also a statutory difference between neighbouring countries France, and Spain have very different limits for our mh and then local signage alters it more for weather conditions. I'm sure many people are equally unaware of the UK law regarding streetlights being a 30mph unless otherwise signposted. No - ignorance is no excuse but its understandable how small mistakes can occur.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back