Motorhome Robbery - Fiat Security (2 Viewers)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had a Funster report today that they were robbed along with others, while they slept. All new Fiats with the thieves using a quick and simple method to pop the central locking. I will be testing this method next week and reporting back. Meanwhile best practise when sleeping in public places means you really should have secondary internal deadlocks fitted, have your doors alarmed or preferably both.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We alarm the doors with our strikeback system (other fine brands are available, but we got a free nights camping....;)) which would probably wake the dead.

oh, we have dogs as well.....

Notwithstanding that, would be very interested to see how this security weakness happened, but good idea for the ratchet straps. Now what about the Hab door, though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Now what about the Hab door, though?
I put a Milenco Door Frame Lock on ours but it is really for when the van is unoccupied (and especially at home on the drive).
EDIT - We can also set the alarm omitting the internal sensors if we want to so we could be asleep and the hab door would still be alarmed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm getting this fitted to mine............ I reckon it would at the very least, deter someone....
Wouldn't putting this in the front window be cheaper and more effective? :whistle:;)
18072.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I didn't like the idea of strapping the doors together so (once I plucked up courage to go to work with a drill) I did This.
Simple and elegant solution
Are the parts commercially available?

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we got POPEYE'S face on our fire place, stops the children in theyer tracks I will try one on our m/h in the dorset steam fair and report back to J/B if this works I will print some off and give them out at pembrey rally lol still lol love ray xxxxxx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Also worth saying don't leave valuables where thieves can easily find them. For example, put your wallet in an overhead locker, not on a windowsill - which I have done myself when brain not engaged. A thief doesn't have* to get in your MH to steal things - they can just stick an arm though a window or door and wave it around and hoover up anything loose within range. So if stuff is not in range - they can't grab it.

*Though some do of course.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Is this only on new models? What about the older 2.8s

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Simple and elegant solution
Are the parts commercially available?
Screwfix no longer sell them but if you Google <window frameguard> or <sash jammer> there are a number of similar products on the market.

Milenco do a Cab Door Lock designed for motorhomes which is similar but rather more expensive.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
had these on a Ford based camper they are a well known make.....will get them again on new van..they are lockable

Broken Link Removed
The original forum post I read (linked to from my web page) was suggesting a much cheaper alternative to the Heosafe product. The Screwfix products can be locked as can many of the ones which Google finds.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
when you say "new FIATs " @Jim do you mean the very newest i.e. late 2014 / 2015 models
DucatoM_34ant_PL14_199.jpg

or the slightly older X250
Fiat_Ducato_MTP07.jpg

or both.. as not heard any issues with the X250 before this.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It was us that got broke into in Slovenia I alerted Jim to how they got due to the simplicity of how they did it but did not want publish the method now I know how they did it I recon I could open any 2007 fiat on in less then 3 seconds
The knocked a little cash from front of van and ignored every thing else I do t think they actually entered van they just opened from doors used a pole to reach anything containing cash
At least 5 other fiats on same services such were done using same method
And before anyone starts yes it is my fault for parking in service area and even more stupid I forgot to set alarm dummy or what
Lesson learnt
Will I park in a service area again proberbly but will I forget to set alarm I hope not
Onward now to Croatia

Ps we weren't gassed

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
No
thanks for the info... pleased you were not gassed!!:whistle:
No gassing just €150 euros lighter to say Elaine was blowing hot gas is a different issue
I feel like I have been gassed with the ear bending I have had over not setting alarm though

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It was us that got broke into in Slovenia I alerted Jim to how they got due to the simplicity of how they did it but did not want publish the method now I know how they did it I recon I could open any 2007 fiat on in less then 3 seconds
The knocked a little cash from front of van and ignored every thing else I do t think they actually entered van they just opened from doors used a pole to reach anything containing cash
At least 5 other fiats on same services such were done using same method
And before anyone starts yes it is my fault for parking in service area and even more stupid I forgot to set alarm dummy or what
Lesson learnt
Will I park in a service area again proberbly but will I forget to set alarm I hope not
Onward now to Croatia

Ps we weren't gassed

I have woken many times to find i never even locked the doors which is so easy to do. Normally after the dogs have been out for their last walk.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Thanks for info, could you PM with some details of how they got in (in confidence) just want to take adequate precautions for our trip in a weeks time.

BY the way Grief POOPEYE, I never said a word but now def want your photo that might help deter these not nice people, but I don't want to frighten too many others

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Thanks for info, could you PM with some details of how they got in (in confidence) just want to take adequate precautions for our trip in a weeks time.

BY the way Grief POOPEYE, I never said a word but now def want your photo that might help deter these not nice people, but I don't want to frighten too many others

You could take and external precaution you want it would not stop them the only way I can see is internal dead bolts or ratchet strap across door that's what I am using till we get home and a rethink

As for spoiling our trip no chance it's a cheap learning curve as some on here and from what we have heard from others some have lost everything cash cards and passports
And it could happen in any country it won't put me off Slovenia it's a beautiful place we are on lake bled and its stunning

What I have we lost a little cash and a lot of pride chin up and move on

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
BY the way Grief POPEYE, I never said a word but now def want your photo that might help deter these not nice people, but I don't want to frighten too many others

Sod rule 1............GIT!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In the trade we call them Sash Jammers they are very effective and you can get them from most good security shops.
I've been looking online and they all seem to have an offset to accommodate the difference in height between the the sash and the window frame, whereas our doors are flush mounted into their frame
Maybe it would still work ok?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back