Motorhome Robbery - Fiat Security (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I also tend to put my rucksack with all my camera gear in front of the driver's seat by the pedals - such a convenient place for a robber, they would hardly have to stretch to pick them up.

I put the bag of dirty laundry there - fits a treat ..... and the hiking / walking boots and shoes go in front of the other seat if they are damp / dirty (on a bit of plastic of course) to dry out. I'd love a thief to come and take the laundry bag away..... the tealeaf would be welcome to our WAFL (worn and filthy laundry).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the idea of fitting sash jammers or extra locks is sound as far as keeping the door shut. it wont however prevent the would be thief punching a hole below the door handle. fitting the stainless steel plates will however stop any damage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Had a Funster report today that they were robbed along with others, while they slept. All new Fiats with the thieves using a quick and simple method to pop the central locking. I will be testing this method next week and reporting back. Meanwhile best practise when sleeping in public places means you really should have secondary internal deadlocks fitted, have your doors alarmed or preferably both.

No mention about the Fiamma Cab Security bar..never tried it myself but has been on the market for some time:)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Funny isn't it, we have deadlocks on the cab doors, when operated, you can't open them using the handles or door locking buttons on the door or dash. I mentioned this security feature on another forum and people were saying it was dangerous and or a design fault to lock yourself in ( what if the van caught fire, how would you get out, would never lock myself in, manual states to never use the deadlock function when the van is occupied etc.....)
And here we are on this forum swapping ideas on how to barricade ourselves in!
(In answer to the "how would you get out if there was a fire" question, I said, through the hab door!)

so "QUESTION" if you deadlock the cab doors does the method of entry used by these thieves still work?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you have some form of deadlock internal to stop doors opening yes it would

sorry did not explain clear enough, there is an electronic way of double locking the doors which prevents them from even being opened from inside.
so no physical lock

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Yes the door is damaged
It's not that I don't want to post how it happened I don't think it's fair to show every possible thief just how easy it is
I quite agree that to show the scroats is not a good idea. The damage question was to clarify the method as this is something that the Transit also suffers from.

Deleted User
Im thinking of getting some of these...

http://www.vanlocks.co.uk/choose-yo.../garrison-deadlock-fiat-ducato-sept06-present

That will get round the central locking weakness, leaving the weak point the pvc windows.

Anyone prepared to start breaking windows won't be stopped anyway, so there's only so much you can do.

We also have an alarm (and insurance)

There comes a point where we just have to enjoy our hobby, be sensible and deal with it if it happens.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Were getting some of Theas :rofl:

Attachments

• thP60ZIJQM.jpg
    thP60ZIJQM.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 83

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I've ordered the Heosafe locks, expensive but I've always been concerned about the cab doors and it seems I'm right to be!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back