Motorhome Robbery - Fiat Security (1 Viewer)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Glad you are both safe and only cash taken, no damage to the motorhome.
Enjoy your travels and lesson learnt, glad you enjoying lake bled

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I've been looking online and they all seem to have an offset to accommodate the difference in height between the the sash and the window frame, whereas our doors are flush mounted into their frame
Maybe it would still work ok?
You can get different size nylon buttons that clip into the arm of the jammer We used to use 9mm to help them fit tightly against frames.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hi Peter
Sorry to here you had problems.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
And yes I agree Lake bled is stunning

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad your safe and it hasn't totally ruined your holiday, your right about Lake Bled totally stunning.

If you need any help getting parts to repair it I have a good friend in Ljubljana who speaks perfect English and I'm sure if he's at home he will help as he's also a motorhomer.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
glad you are safe. we use the strap across the doors. but I have a photo of a certain young lady with a gun in her hand. that will keep them out.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
We alarm the doors with our strikeback system (other fine brands are available, but we got a free nights camping....;)) which would probably wake the dead.

oh, we have dogs as well.....

Notwithstanding that, would be very interested to see how this security weakness happened, but good idea for the ratchet straps. Now what about the Hab door, though?

Not got around to doing anything with my new, to me, van yet but I have thought that an easy cheap method of securing the hab door would be to simply pass a batten of wood or metal through the door handle that overlaps the frame on either side, assuming there is sufficient frame to do so.
I WILL have a look tomorrow, AND, we had an attempted break in with our first X250 years ago, the hab door held thankfully.

Norman.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We alarm the doors with our strikeback system (other fine brands are available, but we got a free nights camping....;)) which would probably wake the dead.

oh, we have dogs as well.....

Notwithstanding that, would be very interested to see how this security weakness happened, but good idea for the ratchet straps. Now what about the Hab door, though?

Interior Bolt,,,,BUSBY.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The original forum post I read (linked to from my web page) was suggesting a much cheaper alternative to the Heosafe product. The Screwfix products can be locked as can many of the ones which Google finds.

Think this might be them (non-locking) http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44641 or (locking) http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73125 but you may want to confirm Graham (@GJH), or not.
Always seem to find Toolstation slightly cheaper than Screwfix (and they're round the corner from each other where we are!).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just ordered a set of those Milenco thingies from JC. Not cheap (cheaper elsewhere actually!) but given I have been known to forget to lock the 'van at night they might help as we could set them when we stop and then leave them. I also tend to put my rucksack with all my camera gear in front of the driver's seat by the pedals - such a convenient place for a robber, they would hardly have to stretch to pick them up. I did look at the sash locks but on my PVC they need to be raised off the door by about 50mm to reach round the door pillar.

Hopefully get them in time to fit before we go and visit that gang of thieves known as The French!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@DBK - Have always found Johns Cross give excellent, swift service but may be worth calling them to let them know if your order is urgent? The Funster 10% discount code helps make their price more competitive & even better with free delivery for orders over £250 - was ideal when we first bought our motorhome (y) Only gripe is that sometimes small individual items have full £6.95 p&p on their website when with other sellers it's less so better overall price elsewhere even after discount :(

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Also worth saying don't leave valuables where thieves can easily find them. For example, put your wallet in an overhead locker, not on a windowsill - which I have done myself when brain not engaged. A thief doesn't have* to get in your MH to steal things - they can just stick an arm though a window or door and wave it around and hoover up anything loose within range. So if stuff is not in range - they can't grab it.

*Though some do of course.

I've fitted a bolted in strongbox in our van.. It's hidden from view in quite an unusual place.. It was an absolute swine to fit and would be hard to get into yet I still regard the contents as a huge risk.

It's just one of the sad facts of life is some tw at will always try to take away what work hard for .

The problem is though is that the more secure we make something the more damage the sh ite bags will do trying to get to our kit..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK - Have always found Johns Cross give excellent, swift service but may be worth calling them to let them know if your order is urgent? The Funster 10% discount code helps make their price more competitive & even better with free delivery for orders over £250 - was ideal when we first bought our motorhome (y) Only gripe is that sometimes small individual items have full £6.95 p&p on their website when with other sellers it's less so better overall price elsewhere even after discount :(
Yes, just had a text from them - it arrives tomorrow.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Rarely lock the doors :RollEyes:

Attachments

• Leek 019.jpg
    Leek 019.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 92

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Funny isn't it, we have deadlocks on the cab doors, when operated, you can't open them using the handles or door locking buttons on the door or dash. I mentioned this security feature on another forum and people were saying it was dangerous and or a design fault to lock yourself in ( what if the van caught fire, how would you get out, would never lock myself in, manual states to never use the deadlock function when the van is occupied etc.....)
And here we are on this forum swapping ideas on how to barricade ourselves in!
(In answer to the "how would you get out if there was a fire" question, I said, through the hab door!)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Rarely lock the doors :RollEyes:
It's OK if you look like a GSD but most of us don't ;):LOL:
Funny isn't it, we have deadlocks on the cab doors, when operated, you can't open them using the handles or door locking buttons on the door or dash. I mentioned this security feature on another forum and people were saying it was dangerous and or a design fault to lock yourself in ( what if the van caught fire, how would you get out, would never lock myself in, manual states to never use the deadlock function when the van is occupied etc.....)
(In answer to the "how would you get out if there was a fire" question, I said, through the hab door!)
One thing I like about the sash jammers is that the use of their locks is optional (ours are in one of the lockers (no pun intended)). Without the locks they are easy to move aside from inside if the hab door is not accessible.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

We have dead lock on cab door (A class) and Abus Heosafe lock on hab door, so can open from inside. How to get out in case of fire-loads of windows that open.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have come to conclusion that the more security other than alarm
All we are doing is making it a little harder to get in so when they do break in the more damage that will be done so how far do we go
Plus the don't forget as someone mentioned before the side windows are very easy to open and I can testify to this as I locked my keys in once and opened a large 4 lock window in about 15 minutes using the old bale band method

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Anyone found a good way of securing the PVC's sliding door??

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you can not do that anymore , I have got your welding gear. but I am sure my son will do that for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back