Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I have a built in Zenec Z-E3762 satnav and was very happy with it apart from the fact that the maps were seriously out of date. I decided to take the plunge and buy an update at £70 back in Feb. However, I seem to have corrupted my SD card and the original backup won't load onto a new card.
I was wondering if it was possible is one of you lovely Funsters, that has the same model, could clone your card and send it to me (I will pay of course). I'm not even sure if this idea would work but Zenec blame Naviextras and vice versa so I'm getting no help from them.
These are the two messages I got on the unit after installing the updated SD card
Zenec 1.jpg
Zenec 2.jpg

Can anybody help please?
John.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Whenever I've had trouble with my Zenec the first thing I do is perform a full reset. Small hole near the righthand button. Put a paperclip in it to reset.

I'm not sure it is possible to clone the SD card. I was told each SD card has its own identification which is peculiar to that particular device.

Also the Mercedes Zenecs have features the Fiat ones don't. E.g. battery condition displays.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
What size is the card, if it is an 8 sd card, then the upgrade doesn't leave enough free space on the card for the system to boot as it needs room to read and write off the card. The fatal error is the lack of free space. I have this T shirt and neither zenec or navitec offer any help.
To get mine working, I had to remove a load of stuff that wasnt needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Thanks Detnor I realised too late that the complete update won't fit on the 8gb card so I got a bigger (16gb) card. I now know that there is something on the original card that prevents the use of a different one. I tried removing Russia and some other countries but then got the fatal error message.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I tried asking zenec for help, no interest, and dealers in the uk and france could not offer help. The original card does have information encoded that prevents a simple backup and restore onto a larger file. I tried a duplication utility from the 8 to 16gb, but it didnt work. You need 2gb clear to make any upgrade work.
Dont even think about the radio update that zenec offer, they told me the 8gb card cannot do it. If you find a solution, love to know it.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The Zenec units are crap.

If I could find a compatible replacement I'd get it changed tomorrow.
I've asked around, but no one seems to know of a compatible replacement that retains most of the features.
It seems we are stuck with them.

As others have said the memory card is specific for that unit.
You have found, as have others have, you can not swap it or upgrade the memory card.
Nor can the card be cloned.

The maps are updated annually in Q2 of each year, so if you buy an upgrade today it will be dated April-June 22.
From what I have seen, the data that Tom Tom sell to Zenec is even older, I suspect by a year or two, or more.
(Our 2018 van came with map data dated 2015, but I suspect was even older.)

As you have also found, the memory card is not big enough for even half the maps of Europe.
Therefore there is no point in trying to install the UK and the entire EU (Forget Russia and eastern Europe!)
The best bet seems to be to install the UK and western Europe, which will give you the Atlantic seaboard from Denmark to Spain.

If your are travelling east of Germany (Poland etc) or south of Austria (Italy, Balkans etc) or to Scandinavia then you need to buy another sat nav, as this would be easier and cheaper than messing around offloading one set of maps before reloading the next set.

There are a load of serious bugs with the Zenec software:

The frequent freezes
(About once per 200 miles in our case, where it just stops, for no apparent reason mid journey, and you have to switch off the engine for 30 seconds in order for it to restart)

Unable to find a GPS signal if you park facing north.
(You would have thought that once you go going and heading due south it might find a signal, but it doesn't, you have to switch off the engine for 30 seconds to reset it, making sure you are not facing north)
We had one situation where it would not find a signal for days. A guy I met on a campsite had had the same issue, he suggested finding a south facing hill, and then switching on the radio for an hour or so would sort it out.
Amazingly this worked. Obviously the unit forgets where it is from time to time so needs a total reset to find satellites which takes at least 30 mins

Also the other problem where the voice just stops giving instructions.
(At least this can be reset whilst moving, you have to switch the 'verbose' option on again, and again, my wife is now at expert at dealing with this frequent problem)

The frequent '30 mph' warning of you speeding whilst on a motorway or dual carriageway .
I find this one most annoying in Scotland, seems to be less frequent in England and fairly rare in most of western Europe.
But it means the verbal 'warning: you are speeding' can not be trusted at all
In some case you can see, possibly, where it's getting the data from, as maybe you are going over a bridge with roads underneath. But most of the time being told on a straight bit of motorway, with nothing around, that the speed limit is 30mph is laughable.

Bottom line is you probably have to pay to update the Zenec unit every 2-3 years, but you have to really limit what you update it with.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’m afraid our Zenec Unit refused to do any updates etc from new. Neither Zenec or Naviextras could help, even after sending photos of how I was trying to do the updates and error messages, so it went back to the dealer and was removed from our van. 🤷‍♂️

The same software problems happened with 2 Xzent‘s and an Alpine Unit. Finally got a decent Pioneer Unit fitted and had updates done in less than half hour…….that included the formatting etc.

Only took two years to get it sorted.🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Firstly, I agree with Brains comments.
On the subject of the sd card - 16Gb should work OK formatted to FAT32.
Did you install using Naviextras Toolbox, as this is the recommended method? https://zenec.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newLogin
I did the install using the Naviextras toolbox and did a full backup of the 8gb card before starting.
I tried to install on a 16gb card but the unit wouldn't recognise it so reverted back to the 8 but removed some maps I didn't need to make space. Still no joy.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I’m afraid our Zenec Unit refused to do any updates etc from new. Neither Zenec or Naviextras could help, even after sending photos of how I was trying to do the updates and error messages, so it went back to the dealer and was removed from our van. 🤷‍♂️

The same software problems happened with 2 Xzent‘s and an Alpine Unit. Finally got a decent Pioneer Unit fitted and had updates done in less than half hour…….that included the formatting etc.

Only took two years to get it sorted.🤦‍♂️
Pioneer Unit.
Interesting.

What does it do ? (Do you have a model number)
Sat Nav, Reversing camera, Radio, CD's, phone connection ?

What did it cost to buy and cost to get fitted ?
Where does the map data come from ?
Does it come with annual map upgrades ?
Does it fit in the hole and compatible with the dashboard ?

Bottom line. Does it work, was it worth swapping ?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
EXPENSIVE…….but after two years and 5 previous failed units…..I really didn’t care.

Pioneer AVIC-Z1000DAB…….it’s an option on the Ducato 8.

It does everything otherthan CD’s (what are they?🤔😉) Sat Nav, phone, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc.

Not sure which Map Data they use, but with Android Auto (I’ve got a Smartphone) you can use Google Maps or any of the other Sat Nav / Map Apps (Using your data of course).

The deal I got from a Vehicle Special Audio company included a 3 year warranty and 3 year free map updates. After that I’ll just use an App if I don’t like the Unit Satnav.

The Unit fits in the dashboard, but on NON Ducato 8’s, it needs a patch lead (extra £100) to connect to steering controls if you have them. And there is a unit surround that goes over the main unit to make it a tidy fit in the dashboard. The surround also as a manual volume knob for easy volume control, and a button to switch on the rear camera should you want it on when not in reverse gear.

I thought my rear view camera was awful until I had this unit fitted. The camera view and markings are excellent.

The unit is plugged into the factory fit Fiat DAB radio ariel and it works perfectly.…..and I’ve checked areas where I never get reception in my car. (y)

Now the painful bit……..I had an offset payment from our vans supplier who finally gave in to me asking for £1000 refund and I’ll go away. When we purchased the van they claimed the Media Unit, a Xzent, was £2000……yer right.

The Fitting company replaced my single USB socket in the dash with a double, with both sockets showing on the Unit screen. They also replaced the rocker switch (so the unit can be switched on without the ignition on) for one they they fit. Their workshop was full of expensive cars having various electronic gizmos fitted.

The Media Unit, patch wiring kit, surround and fitting…..just short of £1400. 😱 However, Lenny got the same unit as an option for £795.

With my refund of £1000, I ended up adding £400 to it……..after two years of really poor Media Units, I’m impressed with this one.👍

ED593778-90A0-4778-8DF0-A57901DC9703.jpeg

They also removed all this and said they had no idea why it was behind the dash (otherthan the switches)……..

984C2765-5524-4FED-AA6F-940A1B224B99.jpeg

Feb 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Euramobil
Can anyone help with our zebec E3726 unit; we accidentally turned on engine whilst hook-up and the satnav/radio/rev camera unit now won't work or power up checked the fuses as per the fiat manual all intact and the other kit wired to them is working such as wipers... is there something we are missing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had a Zenec E3726. It was slow, the maps were terrible and it was like the designer took Fisher Price inspiration on the interface. Swapped it for a Sony with Android Auto. I've still got it in the garage... is it worth anything?

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Dump the zenec and install a decent android unit. Even a cheepo chinese one is better but obviously the more you pay...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back