You don't want to get caught with a tweaked e-bike in France (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't want to get caught with a tweaked e-bike in France, or one with a motor over 250 Watts.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Crazy what’s the issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If you want to go faster just but a scooter, they are cheaper than some ebikes….but of course needed to be taxed and insured.....

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Crazy what’s the issue.
Simple really, when does an e-bike become this:

1584272218082.png

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ebike is a cheap form of transport that uses battery power.

Authorities jumped on the band wagon and stopped them being upgraded as they’ll loose out on tax etc.

Me bike, scooter etc makes no difference as long as I can get from A to B cheaply as possible.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Ebike is a cheap form of transport that uses battery power.

Authorities jumped on the band wagon and stopped them being upgraded as they’ll loose out on tax etc.

Me bike, scooter etc makes no difference as long as I can get from A to B cheaply as possible.
Right up to the point that they hit you whilst you are out walking at 30mph and you find they have no insurance?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Owe well it’s a ebike so what it goes from A to B and it’s cheap to run and no tax to pay.

Just watch where your walking, easy.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Correct but it’s a means of getting from A to B cheap as possible and under battery power which is better than fuel.

Government's missing out on tax and money.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I ride a pedelec Kalkhof where the motor assistance is limited to 15mph.
obviously I can pedel it faster than that but the motor won’t assist.
It's a built like a German tank and quite heavy. You definitely wouldn’t want to be hit by it at 15mph let alone at 30+.
We all love a bit of speed but the 15mph limit for motor assistance seems sensible to me.

Richard.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I ride a pedelec Kalkhof where the motor assistance is limited to 15mph.
obviously I can pedel it faster than that but the motor won’t assist.
It's a built like a German tank and quite heavy. You definitely wouldn’t want to be hit by it at 15mph let alone at 30+.
We all love a bit of speed but the 15mph limit for motor assistance seems sensible to me.

Richard.
Only been on a bike once since Gruissan, this was at Xmas when son Ben was home from Mexico. He wanted to go out on a ride one day so I let him go on my road bike and I went on Anne’s ebike (first time I’ve been for a proper ride on it). Boy was it hard work to go over the 15mph limit with the extra weight and gearing, with no assistance.
The problems that you had with your dish and then the heating was probably a blessing in disguise, forcing you to get back home so soon. Things are pretty dire now in France and Spain. Robert and Lis have done the right thing to leg it back -autoroute all the way by the look of it.
Sorry to have missed you at Coningsby last week. Hopefully, we will get a meet there in a few weeks if CV allows us. Take care.
David.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Only been on a bike once since Gruissan, this was at Xmas when son Ben was home from Mexico. He wanted to go out on a ride one day so I let him go on my road bike and I went on Anne’s ebike (first time I’ve been for a proper ride on it). Boy was it hard work to go over the 15mph limit with the extra weight and gearing, with no assistance.
The problems that you had with your dish and then the heating was probably a blessing in disguise, forcing you to get back home so soon. Things are pretty dire now in France and Spain. Robert and Lis have done the right thing to leg it back -autoroute all the way by the look of it.
Sorry to have missed you at Coningsby last week. Hopefully, we will get a meet there in a few weeks if CV allows us. Take care.
David.
I was so looking forward to getting out on the bike while at Gruissan.
I had intended to get a good lot of miles on the clock. Had one quick ride to the Plage and round the chalets and on another day, intending to go over the 'mini clappe', I got part way to the fishing huts when a storm rapidly approached and I got back just before a downpour. I think I managed 8 miles. :(
Hey ho! Our time will come again...................but when?

Richard.
PS. Sorry for the thread drift Lenny HB :LOL:

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
As has been proved in the UK, legislation already exists to deal with people who ride their bike (ebike or regular) too fast or dangerously. We don't need new laws just a way to identify cyclists.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
As has been proved in the UK, legislation already exists to deal with people who ride their bike (ebike or regular) too fast or dangerously. We don't need new laws just a way to identify cyclists.

And them pedestrians, they're a bloody menace. They should all have to wear hi-vis and a helmet, if they dont we should be able to knock them down in our cars - its the only language they understand. The old ones are the worst.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
And them pedestrians, they're a bloody menace. They should all have to wear hi-vis and a helmet, if they dont we should be able to knock them down in our cars - its the only language they understand. The old ones are the worst.

Pedestrians tend to come off worst in any car/pedestrian interaction. So they don't need to wear safety kit as there is a great incentive to look before stepping out into the street. If they don't then they can't blame the driver/cyclist for being hit.

There is even a section of the Highway Code dedicated to pedestrians - Highway Code for Pedestrians

Presumably if there is a section in the Highway Code telling pedestrians how to behave then they can be prosecuted if they dont?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Pedestrians tend to come off worst in any car/pedestrian interaction. So they don't need to wear safety kit as there is a great incentive to look before stepping out into the street. If they don't then they can't blame the driver/cyclist for being hit.

There is even a section of the Highway Code dedicated to pedestrians - Highway Code for Pedestrians

Presumably if there is a section in the Highway Code telling pedestrians how to behave then they can be prosecuted if they dont?
Wrong. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...phone-compensation-court-london-a8969731.html

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Correct but it’s a means of getting from A to B cheap as possible and under battery power which is better than fuel.

Government's missing out on tax and money.
For higher powered bikes to be legal they need to comply with existing regulations as applied to motorcycles in terms of brakes, safety equipment, and lighting. Once they are manufactured to comply, in the same way that any vehicle has to comply, then they will be legal to use on the road.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB

There is always an exception to prove the rule but in this case...... head down cycling as fast as possible on a fixed gear bike with no brake. The cyclist got what he deserved and the pedestrian was found to be partially at fault or the cyclist would have been fined more.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
There is always an exception to prove the rule but in this case...... head down cycling as fast as possible on a fixed gear bike with no brake. The cyclist got what he deserved and the pedestrian was found to be partially at fault or the cyclist would have been fined more.
You are confusing two different cases, the track bike rider without brakes was jailed.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Don't know where you are going with it....so giving up.

edit....read the article. Cyclists own fault for not chasing her in court. He also tried to ride through a crowd of people crossing the road. They shouldn't have been crossing but he shouldn't have tried to force his way through. The large sum was because of court costs not fines.

Yet more edit..... The judge even said that the cyclist would have been entitled to compensation if he had sued the pedestrian who was 'equally to blame.'

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You definitely wouldn’t want to be hit by it at 15mph let alone at 30+.

Richard.

And I wouldn't want to come off and have the bike fall on me (again).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back