Yet another refillable gas tank question (1 Viewer)

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Deepest darkest North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Hi all,

This is my first question so please be gentle with me if it seems a bit rudimentary.

I have an appointment next week to have an underslung gas tank fitted by Autogas2000

My questions are what is the recommended location of the refiling valve and which side of the vehicle would be better?

My vehicle is a 2010 VW crafter.

For the location, the options are either the shirt around the bottom of the vehicle, which will require drilling the plastic, or the type of valve that hangs underneath the skirt, but this is quite low down.

I have never filled a vehicle gas tank before and am not sure of the process.
Are they like fuel pumps that require you to keep a trigger pulled in to operate?
This is my worry of the valve being low down.

The other part of the question is which side of the vehicle, as I’ll be using it at home more than abroad I imagine.
Again, this comes back to me having no experience with filling gas tanks.
Are they the same as fuel pumps as in you can go either side of the pump?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The trigger on the pump is the lock in type. You operate it by pressing a button on the pump and keeping it pressed till the tank is full.
I would have the filler attached solidly to the skirt, low down is no problem as long as it is facing out the side.
Doesn’t matter which side you put it on, but closest to the tank would be best.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I'd put it near the fuel filler just so a forecourt attendant will have "fuel" in mid and turn on the pump. Good too if you want to fill gas and fuel together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Mine is offside in the skirt and is not a problem, don’t think it matters really although I think it’s handy to have it on the same side as the fuel filler saves messing about if you want both, mine isn’t.(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is the opposite side to the fuel filler. I never fill lpg and diesel together because it draws attention to the fact you are using it for domestic purposes. Whichever side you put it will be inconvenient some places

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would say not to low as occasionally you need to look at the connection to determine the position of the lugs to align the gun, given a choice i would have one at least hip high

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Prefer my filler to be same side as the fuel filler.
No faffing about at the pumps as you can usually fill both without moving.
Never had a problem or query about using gas for cooking and see no reason why anyone should query it.

Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SurferBuzz

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Some great advice there, thanks to everybody for that information.

And a video to boot...! God bless the internet.
I'll have a good chat with the installers, I don't know why I didn't think of that :rolleyes:

@Reallyretired
I think you're right, there'll always be a case of "the other side would have been better..."

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You want it solidly mounted wherever you put it. This is mine on a Ducato but I suspect there may by somewhere similar on your VW.

When you lock the pump on there is quite a weight twisting the filler and if you need to use an adaptor in Europe the effect will be greater because of the long lever.

DSC_0285.JPG

And I keep some thick rubber gloves in the door pocket and wear them when filling. The liquid gas will seriously damage your skin if you get some on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can get proper cryogenic gloves as I have, I don't know if they're actually better but at least they won't be confused with SWMBOs marigolds.

Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
You can also stay at Thirsk racecourse which is walking distance into the town.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I installed the filler for our gas bottles in the rear bumper corner using the smaller filler:

gas filler 2.JPG

Upvote 0

RJJW

Free Member
Jun 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
3 years this time.
You will be fine at Autogas 2000 as @icantremember said. We've had Alugas fitted twice there. You can also stay overnight in the yard.
Im thinking of having a single alugas cylinder to replace 2 x 13kg cylinders, trying to decide whether to fit or have fitted at autogas 2000, what cost am I looking at to have this fitted, Thank You.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oops, just saw the date so I deleted what I said :oops:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Im thinking of having a single alugas cylinder to replace 2 x 13kg cylinders, trying to decide whether to fit or have fitted at autogas 2000, what cost am I looking at to have this fitted, Thank You.
I would simply call them for a quote. The price will be different depending on the model of MH and the size of tank you want to or can fit. :)

Upvote 0

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Hi all,

This is my first question so please be gentle with me if it seems a bit rudimentary.

I have an appointment next week to have an underslung gas tank fitted by Autogas2000

My questions are what is the recommended location of the refiling valve and which side of the vehicle would be better?

My vehicle is a 2010 VW crafter.

For the location, the options are either the shirt around the bottom of the vehicle, which will require drilling the plastic, or the type of valve that hangs underneath the skirt, but this is quite low down.

I have never filled a vehicle gas tank before and am not sure of the process.
Are they like fuel pumps that require you to keep a trigger pulled in to operate?
This is my worry of the valve being low down.

The other part of the question is which side of the vehicle, as I’ll be using it at home more than abroad I imagine.
Again, this comes back to me having no experience with filling gas tanks.
Are they the same as fuel pumps as in you can go either side of the pump?

Hi Surfer,

Autogas 2000 did my gas tank. I can't rate them highly enough. They did a really clean install and we talked about filling point options. Tell them how and where (mainly UK or Europe) you'll be using your van and they'll give you the best options.

I'm a builder by trade and don't trust many people when it comes to working on my van unless I can see what they're doing. I was very impressed with the cage method of holding the tank as opposed to straps. Nice little touch is the LED gas fuel gauge so you know when to refuel.

Worst problem I had was figuring out how to actually put gas in it at a petrol station!! Luckily, a taxi driver showed me how the gas pump worked. It's fiddly the first time you do it (twist this, hold that, WHOOSH!!!!, HISS!!!...it's going to explode!) and then it fills up just like petrol :)

Best addition I've added to the van...apart from USB's

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
I have had autos fitted on two MH, both times by Dave Newall. I see he has commented so listen to his advice and the good advice of other funsters, you will be fine. I have only ever filled my tank in the UK, we have just done over 8 weeks in Europe and still have nearly half a tank left.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SurferBuzz

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Thanks for everyone’s replies.

We've now had the underslung tank fitted, a very professional job.

Was left with plenty of cable to mount the gauge where we wanted and even advised to have an additional tap for future changes as we'd only asked for 3, Heater, cooker, external BBQ point. I appreciated that.

Would recommend Autogas 2000 to anyone who's likely to ask me about it when at a VW festival in the future.

The Silvers
8 weeks…. That’s impressive.
What is your gas capacity?
Do you cook daily?

I can appreciate you wouldn’t need the heating with the hot weather Europe seems to be enjoying at the moment.

Please feel free to send some of that sunshine this way.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Only a 30 Ltr tank! In reality it takes 24 litres of liquid gas. We cooked most days but used EHU for Hot water, heating & fridge as often as we could.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just for the future Funsters who come across this thread.
Our gas filler is in the middle of the 'van N/S (UK).
I have come across a garage in Portugal where it was only possible to fill on the O/S (UK)

I couldn't approach 'The other way' as it had more bollards and barriers than the approach to UK Roadworks..

I suppose what I am saying is, if you have to put the filler on the N/S, make it on the back of the van. Then you will be able to get to the filling point.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Late to this thread... but...

I self-fitted gas-it, bought from eBay.

It’s very easy for a competent DIYer. I’m happy to accept the risks, etc. Insurance company not interested, and van hab checks include gas inspection.

I put the filler in the skirt, which is aluminium, close to a support bracket. The pumps are heavy and I wouldn’t want to put it in a plastic skirt.

I located it in the same side as the diesel filler (n/s UK), simply because at my local Morrison’s there is a combined LPG & diesel pump - and our last task on any trip is to fill everything up just before we get home no matter how tired we are. Makes getaways much quicker.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back