Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Hi,

I have a Hymer A class based upon a 3.0 Ducato, 2010 model with the three wipers.

Wipers work fine when set to on or high speed but when I set it to intermittent sweep, the go up about 1/3 of the way and then stop. I give another quick flick and they move a bit more and so on. They also don’t park from intermittent setting as they should.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I get similar on my Mercedes Hymer so that suggests not a chassis fault

Mine is only an issue if first turned to intermittent, going straight to on then back to intermittent all OK

I can live with that 👍

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Hi,

I have a Hymer A class based upon a 3.0 Ducato, 2010 model with the three wipers.

Wipers work fine when set to on or high speed but when I set it to intermittent sweep, the go up about 1/3 of the way and then stop. I give another quick flick and they move a bit more and so on. They also don’t park from intermittent setting as they should.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Wiper motor is the problem. The single swipe mode uses brief power from the flick to start the motor then there is a permanent feed to a track inside the motor that allows it to complete the cycle. The track is worn away as you are only getting sporadic contact when it rotates.
They can usually be stripped down and cleaned up but also may be burnt away enough to make a reliable repair impossible.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I get similar on my Mercedes Hymer so that suggests not a chassis fault

Mine is only an issue if first turned to intermittent, going straight to on then back to intermittent all OK

I can live with that 👍
I think it likely that this will become like the OP wipers after time as the track is struggling for contact. I believe using the wipers normally first is giving it a wipe with the contact arm to move the dirty grease away (they are greased during manufacture but it can be scorched with the current and spoil the connection)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
a900ss
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Wiper motor is the problem. The single swipe mode uses brief power from the flick to start the motor then there is a permanent feed to a track inside the motor that allows it to complete the cycle. The track is worn away as you are only getting sporadic contact when it rotates.
They can usually be stripped down and cleaned up but also may be burnt away enough to make a reliable repair impossible.
Thanks.

Is it just a standard Ducato motor or is it a Hymer specific motor to drive the 3 blades?

Fingers crossed it just a standard fiat motor so that I can get any mechanic to replace the motor. 👍🏻

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Thanks.

Is it just a standard Ducato motor or is it a Hymer specific motor to drive the 3 blades?

Fingers crossed it just a standard fiat motor so that I can get any mechanic to replace the motor. 👍🏻
I would have thought it standard Ducato and modified by Hymer for the extra blade. Mail order a standard one and compare as returns are then possible without issue.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Try the wd40 down the stalk first, then take out the motor mechanism, clean the electrical side/contacts and then re-build plug in then try, cheaper than a new motor, good luck 👍😉👌

OP
OP
a900ss
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
Try the wd40 down the stalk first, then take out the motor mechanism, clean the electrical side/contacts and then re-build plug in then try, cheaper than a new motor, good luck 👍😉👌
Don’t mean WD40 down the stalk in the cab that you turn the wipers on with? Excuse my ignorance. 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514SL Gold ed
Exp
Fairly new to motorhome started early 2019
HI

I have now taken the motor out cleaned all the inside, the disk and the contacts and made sure all looked OK, I also cleaned the contacts on the connector too. So, if I go intermittent they stop in almost a vertical position, if I do wash then it stops in the vertical position, if I do the flip up then it either stops as soon as I let the stalk go or it goes a little way and stops.

The problem is when you go from normal operation you have to come back through the intermittent portion and hence you can't get the wipers ever to be Parked Properly from the normal or the fast wiper position.

Any more ideas or does this help clarify what is wrong

Cheers
ALAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back